The Intellectuals 224 members · 62 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

School is a bitch.
That is my sole defense for my not upholding a discussion to story thread. I must admit it is a rather poor one. However this will occur NEXT Saturday NO LATER THAN 3:30 PM Central Time! Have faith in the n00b, and sorry for those who had been dissapointed by my negligence. Feel free to rage at me in the comments below. Got it all out? Good. This thread will focus on the ever expanded "Human In Equestria" concept. This is based off of another fanfic that has humanity (at least America) be wiped out and forced to relocate. The question: Can Humans and Equines actually co-exist? I look forward to your discussion.

Well, it's good to know if the world comes to an end American values will outlive the apocalypse. . .

In response to your final question, I believe humans and equines have already been co-existing for many thousands of years. It's just that the poor and working class cannot really afford to "own" the living transportation vehicles because of inflation and other social faux pas. I'm pretty sure if I had a billion dollars and a passive income I'd own a horse. Unfortunately, I don't have the financial resources to take care of, much less adopt, another more gregarious animal like a cat at the moment.

It really, really depends - and we humans have never really had to deal with having to share a planet with another sentient species.

Firstly, it's not easy to nail down what 'humans' are, in the collective. Even if we just consider the various forms of human societies out there, it's fair to say that their responses to sentient, magic-wielding equines will vary tremendously based on context, collective memory, and needs. A stable America transplanted into the Equestrian world will most likely be happy enough to coexist with equines (while spying on them)... but a starving North Korea? You bet Kim Jong Un will be sending the missiles over into the Crystal Empire soon enough.

Secondly, I am of the opinion that the discovery of advanced sentient life will probably produce large re-orientations in how humans define themselves. So far, we as a species have no comparison - which means there is no 'other' through which we can all band together against, which is why we devise alternate ways of 'othering' people (to use the SJW term) - through race, nation, and so on. If ponies actually exist, I think that would be a strong enough 'other' for humans to define themselves against... which means human-pony relations will likely be hostile.

Of course, if humanity is transplanted into Equestria there are plenty other sentient animals to be 'othering'... such as dragons, griffons, and so on...

PLEASE SAVE GOOD DISCUSSIONS FOR LATER! Sorry! (But I will be referencing these later)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4