The Intellectuals 224 members · 62 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

Just wanting to know everyone's opinions.
Personally, I think it can't exist.

Why can't chaos exist? Chaos is just a lack of order. If anything, order is the outlier here - the universe tends towards increasing chaos.

Permanent Temporary
Group Admin

Chaos is small changes in a system that are so unpredictable that they are essentially "random".

Amanda, we and this universe are things of logic.

Chaos is always happening. Order is just chaos that is controlled for the time being.

But we are not.
Logically, there is no explanation to why bags of complex chemicals should reach sentience.
The only reason why we should assume that this is possible is because we did reach sentience, which is a case of circular logic: I think, therefore I am, therefore I am able to think.

A completely orderly universe would have no bifurcations of any sort, and literally nothing interesting would happen.
This universe has a good balance between randomness and order, therefore we can exist.

3389439 Perhaps Order and Chaos is just our perception of events surrounding our lives. It is my opinion that when something fits in with our perceived view of life and the universe and keeps everything in the status quo, then we see Order. On the flip side the events that subtly or radically change the status quo or more personally, our own lives, then for good or ill that's Chaos. Ironically, taking an example from the show, whilst the Chaos that Discord sows is most defienetly Chaos to the rest of the world, to Discord Chaos is his Order. It benefits him, being able to warp reality is something he feels comfortable doing, and harmony to him was his natural opposite. He feels the same way about Law and Order as Celestia and the Mane 6 feel about Chaos, its something that is outside the norm for them, and thus some of them, Twilight, Rarity and Applejack most especially, that is their opposite, they see Chaos, because its disrupting and changing their lives, just as Harmony is disrupting and changing Discord.

So yeah, I suppose its a matter of perception. Law holds the status quo, Chaos changes it. And we need both to survive and grow.

Aye, I do, and I reply to all comments until the week-count reaches the triple-digits.

I personally have a two definitions for Chaos, "Scientific" Chaos and "Internal Chaos". My personal belief is that all beings have the ability to control their destiny, and therefore Chaos is a matter of perception. But on to my personal definitions. "Scientific" Chaos is strictly a watered down version of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, which states that we cannot predict the movement of a single atom, but we can control it by creating variables to move it in the direction we desire. This Chaos is rather an absence of knowledge, rather than an absence of control. Internal Chaos is when one's life has completely spiraled out of control, and you don't simply give a darn anymore (to put it politely). Internal Chaos can be applied to someone struggling in life or a society in change. Overall my definition of Chaos is this: Chaos is the future. Unknowable but not unchangeable. Chaos is merely a perception of lost knowledge and control, and on the flip side "Order" is a steady stream of knowledge and control of oneself and his/her surroundings. Order does not and should not restrict change, but rather controls change in order to benefit oneself. Thank you all for listening to a newbie's rant. Have a pleasant day.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11