The Underappreciated Story Society 828 members · 5,023 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

Maybe in the other thread, I might have overreacted in the way I feel that my fanfics don't get a lot of recognition. However, there are times when I wish that was the case. Sometimes, I just don't like getting the short end of the stick, which always felt like the case for me in life. Other times, I tend to take negative remarks personally and make it feel as if I was wasting my time. I can even remember when I almost thought of getting rid of essays I did just for having a bad grade on them in feeling that I should get back everything I wasted on doing it. Hearing that one some of my fanfics did make me feel that way as well. In all honesty, there are times when I wish some of what I do does get more notice and attention rather than just feel like a fad. Then again, it could be that it's the quality that really matters and not the quantity. For some reason, I could never understand why there are fanfics that feel less than what I did yet get more likes and comments that a lot of the ones I do including those that are left incomplete. Overall, good number of the fanfics that I did took a lot of thought to make.

We all want more attention. Also, it is difficult for us to judge the quality of our own work. While you can’t implicitly trust every review you get, if there seems to be a consensus among them, you might pay attention to it.

Also, some people like to read trash. That is no reflection on you in any way. But if you’re not producing the product they want to read, you won’t get attention you want.

The thing is, write stories that are meaningful. If you write just for attention, giving the people what they want, are you anything but a literary prostitute?

are you anything but a literary prostitute?

Yes. An artist is sincere. Judgement of quality is, and has always been, as fickle as the wind. Yet you know whether you are creating with integrity.

Besides, there's nothing inherently bad about writing what your audience wants. For some people, writing really is just a job like any other. You don't have to make it special every time, to borrow a handy phrase.

Unfortunately, there are times when it would be nice to have more than 15 minutes of fame.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5