The Marvel/DC Co-Fan Club 717 members · 561 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

What? This IS a New 52 costume and really? Total honesty? I think this is one of the best Superman redesigns DC has done. Allow me to explain. Superman has always had a certain look, the classic costume? Well... Yeah it's goofy, but it's a fun goofy, and if presented the right way can look down right majestic or regal, but at the end of the day Superman's costume is about being approachable. The bright colors, the cape, the briefs on the outside... It's to put people at ease around him. And this costume? Does that VERY well whereas the armored look does NOT by any stretch of the imagination.

A lot of people have called this being too "Superboy" for Superman to wear and... They're wrong. Oh sure the t-shirt is something Conner would wear, no doubt, but the cape is what sells it for Superman. The addition of the cape stops it from being your typical "Street clothes" costume which generally is just... Street clothes with a symbol on a shirt.

Clark is really meant to have an everyman kind of personality, that despite his powers he's the kind of guy you could easily sit back and shoot the breeze with. THIS costume kinda sells that idea. It's got that total encompassing of WHAT Superman is. The shirt, jeans, and boots, are the farmboy from Kansas. The S-shield and the cape are the Last Son of Krypton and Man of Tomorrow.

Also the fact during this costume's run he had a red t-shirt which referenced Superman Red

And a white shirt that was a subtle reference to Linda Danvers' Supergirl costume.

The reason I'm not too crazy about the lack of cape with the newest T-shirt look for him is simple. It doesn't have the same effect and loses a LOT without it. The cape is the balancing and CRUCIAL piece of the puzzle and without it? You just have a Superboy costume.

So all in all? I say this is by far my favorite official Superman costume, right up there with the classic look.

Anyway with that I leave you with this

4337901 I dunno. I guess I just find it hard to understand why someone would wear a cape with a T-shirt unless they were already emulating a Superman who already exists.
Still, I do agree that it is more Clark than it is Connor. The specific type of jeans and boots makes it look less "modern teen" and more "farmhand." It's very approachable, while still having a unique character to it.
Perhaps something like this would work?

4338997 Well in Clark's case, at this point, the cape was the only thing from his ship so it KINDA made sense he'd wear it.

Also that works... But also looks a LOT like Supreme. Not a bad thing just saying

4339007 But why wear it as a cape? From his perspective, it'd make just as much sense to sow it into a jacket or something.
And, yeah, I see what you mean. Still, I like it. :twilightsmile:

4339048 Well this version of the cape is totally and completely indestructible, or supposed to be anyway, so.... Sewing would be a little hard.... Really this would make sense, well more sense, if they had at least the JSA as existing and giving Clark some kinda inspiration for the cape with this outfit.... But still, I like it a lot on its own.
:applejackunsure:

4340512 Like that ever stopped DC before? I mean, doesn't Ma often sew the costume herself....out of his indestructible baby blankets?
Yeah, that would help.

4340785 Yeah....... It's stuff like that that makes me REALLY like the idea from the movies that Jor-El just SENT the costume with him OR Ma DID make the costume, but it's made of Earth material and he's got the energy field around him that protects skintight clothes.

4340847 Agreed. Especially on the first one. Talking about his aura always sounded weird to me.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8