The Cadanceverse 268 members · 12 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11
GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

So, since Song of Silver only has one more chapter, I think it's time to start brainstorming about our foal trio.

TOOTSIE FLUTE: A young unicorn foal. Happy-go-lucky and generally cheery, Tootsie likes to live in the moment and let things play out as they are wont to do. Her special talent is being lucky, and, though she does rely on this a little too much (not doing boring logistical stuff because she trusts things will just luckily work out for her), she's still a good-hearted foal. She loves the work of Lyra Heartstrings, wants to be bard-like, and so studies under her. Her instrument is the flute.

Of the foal trio, she has the most natural aptitude for music. She is also the flightiest of the three; if she shirks on practicing (which, like most foals, she probably will from time to time) it's because she got bored and figures that she'll just 'luckily' sort out the music next time.

Bebop/Bee Bop: A young pegasus foal. Loud, brash, energetic, and always excited, Bebop is possibly the most visible foal in town. Probably has enthusiastic rivalries with Scootaloo over all kinds of silly things. Loves the idea of being a rock star. Her special talent is musical performance; hence her cutie mark being an instrument. Right now, she's still in the 'loud=good!' phase, but with some training she could make music that ponies can actually listen to. Has finally convinced Vinyl Scratch to give her lessons. Her instrument is the drums.

Of the foal trio, she has the most love and admiration for music in its purest form. She listens to music more than either of the other two foals. She tends to want to be as AWESOME as possible right away, though, so if she shirks on practicing a piece, it's because she came up with another idea for an even more awesome piece and wants to get that going.

Silver Spoon: Well, we all know her. Daughter of the richest stallion in town, and raised by him as well as a maid, Betty Buttle. Arrogant and high-tempered, Silver Spoon has extremely high expectations for herself. This is as true for music as anything else; now that she wants to take up music, she wants to be the best. Friends with Diamond Tiara, the other rich foal, as well as with some of the musician foals. Has a special dislike for blank flanks, as they clearly aren't motivated enough to bother finding out what they are good at. Her instrument and teacher [will be revealed tomorrow, once Song of Silver ends].

Of the foal trio, she has the most ambition and dedication, though the least natural talent of the three. If she shirks practicing, it's likely because she's frustrated that she hasn't mastered something yet.

At this point, all three foals are about equally good (which is to say, they aren't that good). Silver Spoon has the least natural ability but works harder than the other two; Bee bop has the most love for music but tends to get sidetracked on a dozen successive new AWESOME ideas before perfecting one of them, and Tootsie Flute has the most ability but too often leaves things up to luck rather than training.

Some random thoughts:

Families! Is Tootsie related to Lyra and/or Bonbon, as fandom usually has it? (I'd vote no, personally, but of course others might disagree, and this is a shared verse). Do any of these ponies have siblings? Do they all have two living parents?

Its been noted that Silver Spoon's mom doesn't seem to be around. I think the standard options are her being dead in various ways, but I think it'd be more interesting if she was alive. Maybe she left the family for her own reasons, because she wanted to protect SS or because Sterling made her leave to protect SS.

So here's a thought: what if Silver Spoon's mom is a thief?

Maybe she's a Robin Hoof type thief. She robs museums that appropriated artifacts from cultures without properly paying for them, or she finds the rich that have used their power to unjustly acquire more goods and returns those goods to their rightful owns. (In the extreme case maybe she's kind of like a one-pony Leverage, or a member of a Leverage-type group). She left the family because she didn't want her enemies to seek them out and use them as hostages or attack them for revenge. But maybe she shows up at some point, and while SS is sad she won't get to see her mom more, she loves the idea that her mom is out there, fighting great wrongs. (And she probably winds up going along on a heist, because Comedy!)

Or we go a bit more serious. Silver Spoon's mom is a thief/cat burglar because... well, she likes having money. She's really good at what she does, and is quite rich by this point. Many famous jewel heists and museum robberies can be traced to her. Sterling found out and gave her an ultimatum -- he won't allow Silver Spoon to have a criminal for a mom, since he figured Mrs. Silver would eventually get caught and that would wreck Silver Spoon (seeing her mom taken away in cuffs and all). So she could give up being a thief, or she could give up being in the family. Mrs. Silver chose the latter.

If we went this route, Mrs. Silver's return would maybe similar to that one Fresh Prince episode where Will's father came back. Mrs. Silver shows up, wows Silver Spoon, and says she wants to be in her life again. Sterling is concerned, but Mrs. Silver charms SS, and maybe even takes her on a vacation with complete and utter luxury -- best hotels and food money can buy, and all that. But then she either goes to rob something (with Silver Spoon following and almost getting caught), or actually incorporates Silver into the robbery (maybe using her as a runner that the police won't search because she's such an innocent-looking foal), and SS realizes that her mom cares more about her 'career' than about her. This would be sadder, although I think it could have some nice moments at the end where Silver, Sterling, and maybe even Betty bond. (I have an image of a scene in which Betty is about to excuse herself from a very sad SS and Sterling hugging, since she's not family, when an utterly confused SS says that of course she's family and she needs to give SS a hug too).

Oh, and competely unrelated idea -- battle of the bands episode. :-) It'd be awesome.

So! Thoughts about the foals go here!

The first idea that comes to mind for the foals is a pied piper story with the foals being kidnapped, maybe linked to Tootse getting her hooves on a magic flute.

I can't say I'm too keen on Mrs Silver being a thief although the general ideas just makes me want to shout: -

Mrs Silver is Catmare
Sterling Silver is Batstallion
Bettie Butle is Alfred Pennyworth
Silver Spoon is the Huntress!!! (Which might make Diamond Tiara Power Filly)

Now that I've got that out of my system, I like the idea of Bettie being part of the silver family although I don't see that from Silver Spoons point of view in the story so far, although I can see Bettie thinking of Silver Spoon as her foal. Maybe Sterling and Bettie become a couple (keep it hidden to avoid social embarrassment?) and Silver Spoon has to try and wrap her brain around the change in situation.

Personally I'd go with Mrs Silver being either dead or divorced (the latter offers various chances to ponyise Silver Spoon).

Plus I'd like the foals to call Silver Spoon Spoon or Spoonie much to her annoyance.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

1379572: Agree that Betty being considered part of the family by SS shouldn't happen until later, maybe even S2. That's something that works better if it occurs more slowly and naturally.
Heh. I could see SS being worried that Betty would be stealing her father from her if she learned they were a couple though. Plus, DT would surely have the usual concerns about Betty not really being of their social class. "Your dad's marrying a commoner? What if it's contagious? What if you start liking common stuff, like mud and hoe-downs?"

A pied piper story could be fun. Would Tootsie be doing the kidnapping, or would she have a flute that could... I dunno, counter the piper? (Tootsie inadvertently taking the whole town on a walk could be funny, but I think the latter idea works better for a story).

And I think DT is already calling SS Spoony. :-) It's a fun nickname.

Although I like the idea of SS slowly considering BB part of her family (Maybe getting her something for mothers day or a similar event or using her as someone to go to for 'mare issues' there's this colt as school and I think I like him what do I do? I can't ask Dad I'd just die of embarrassment. His names Snips isn't he just dreamy?) she's been part of SS's family for all of her life so there's no reason for the situation to change now unless Mrs Silver has only just left the picture.

For the Pied piper I had a few possible thoughts: -
Tootsie gets her hooves on a magic flute that allows her to control other foals and it goes to her head. Someone steals it and uses it to Kidnap foals and she and / or the mane 6 have to get them back.

The bad pony already has the bad flute but Toostie ends up with a counter flute that can block its power.

Peter and Max by Bill Willingham has some good flute magic ideas in it.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

1379773: Well, Silver is also young and growing up. As she gains maturity, she could more and more come to see Betty as part of her family. Also, there could be a couple events (in which Betty does something important for Silver) that slowly cement it for SS that Bettie is more than just a servant.

Hee. I could see Tootsie doing the foalish equivalent of want it need it. "It'll work out!" she'd say. And chaos ensues.

That Fresh Prince episode is on my liquid pride list... a Silver Spoon story based around it would have to have a lot of feels. I'd suggest an adaptation of She Can't Be Really Gone as music...

I don't know when she'll come back
She must intend to come back
When I've seen the error of my ways...

Can you imagine a filly singing that about her mother?

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

1381871: It could be pretty heart-rending if Silver asked her dad, "Why isn't Mom here? Did I do something wrong?" And then hugs ensue.

On the subject of Silver Spoon's mother, who's to say that she's "Mrs Silver"? She and Sterling might not have been married or even particularly serious about each other, and Sterling turned out to be more interested in being a parent than she was.

That still leaves open plenty of options for who or what Silver Spoon's mother actually is. Some kind of cat burglar or ninja could be hilarious, but what comes to my mind is a pony who simply can't settle down, like Ben Rumson of Paint Your Wagon. She wanders through Ponyville every few years, to see how her little pony is doing, and to catch up with Sterling (they're still fairly fond of each other, and bear each other no ill-will, but they both know they can't function as a couple). Maybe the next time she comes to visit, Silver Spoon is old enough to understand what's happening and to express the wish that her mother would stay, but not old enough to understand why it's not a good idea. Her mother could sing "Wand'rin' Star", which I love for its melancholy tune and lyrics. Mud can make you prisoner, and the plains can bake you dry / Snow can burn your eyes, but only ponies make you cry. And hey, Wandering Star is a perfectly good name for a pony.

I quite like the idea of Tootsie Flute getting her hooves on some kind of magical instrument that she is inadvertently irresponsible with. Something like the Guitar of the Sirens, but less horrific.

How well could the foals work together as a musical group? I think the Musical Six only really work because of the Elements of Harmony and Vinyl's sheer genius. I'd like to see them give it a try, though.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

1384754: Hmm. I do like the idea of SS's Mom as just being afflicted with wanderlust. She had a few nice nights with Sterling, but she's not really cut out for family life -- she's got to move around and see the world. And Wandering Star is a great pony name.

Tootsie Flute and the Flute of the (Adorable) Sirens. I could see her using it for something silly, like getting everypony to go to one of her recitals -- or maybe even just to get out of school -- but then there being unintended side effects.

As for how well the foals would work in a band... probably about as well as the mane show's CMCs work at getting their marks. That is, I doubt these foals would have record companies trying to sign them, but they'd have fun and maybe learn some important friendship lessons along the way. And as time went by, I think they'd get good. :-)

The two ponies, despite being grown adults, were giggling like school foals as they entered the room closing the door behind them to keep out the rain. Both were dressed rather outlandishly the Stallion wore a bright red shirt covered in a (faux) swade jacket, the mare a gingham dress. Both wore Stetsons, the stallions was oversized almost as big as a sombrero while the mare's was more normal sized but a light pink.

The mare held her hoof up to her mouth indicating they should be quiet which only resulted in a further burst of giggles from both of them. The stallion jogged back and forth calling out as he went, "One two three and back one to three and forward and turn." He grabbed the mare and swung her around eliciting a squeal of surprise before dipping her to the ground. Their giggling stopped as their eyes locked and their muzzles slowly started to approach each other.

They were disturbed by a loud yawn from the settee and a small grey head popped up over the arm topped with a tangled silver mane. With one hoof Silver Spoon rubbed sleep from her eyes while the other quested for her glasses.

The two adults shot apart with expressions like Snips and Snails when Miss Cheerilee asked if they had done their homework. After an awkward moment Sterling Silver spoke to his daughter, "Honey what are you still doing up? You should have been in bed hours ago."

"I wanted to wait for you to get home daddy." Said Silver Spoon, "Where have you been?" she asked eyeing her fathers costume.

"Well Bettie, I mean Miss Butle and I went dancing."

"Yes," said the servant, "I used to love dancing when I was young.., I mean younger. I found out they were holding a hoe down at Sweet Apple Acres so I thought we could go." she smiled at Sterling, "Your father turned out to be quite light on his hooves."

"Just as well the number of times I stood on yours," replied Sterling with a laugh, "You know I didn't think I'd like it but its really grown on me, we should go more often, maybe even the three of us."

The words cut through the exhausted fog clouding Silver Spoons brain, Hoe Down, he eyes grew wide until they eclipsed most of her face. Diamond Tiara had been right! She had to stop this infection before it spread any further. To her further horror she caught site of a brown patch on her fathers flank, was that mud?!

How about one of Bebops parents or possibly one of her siblings being deaf.

Octavia or one of the other musicians could feel very awkward about this (I would think being deaf would be Octavia's ultimate nightmare (which could be a story by itself)) but the parent can still 'hear' Bebops performance via touch.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11