FIMFiction UserScripts 383 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 25 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 25
Selbi
Group Admin

Download on GreasyFork

You enter your average reading time in Words-Per-Minute (which, in my case, is 267), and the script spits out the average reading time you need for certain chapters, based on their length. It also looks which chapters you've already marked as read to give the total "remaining" reading time. Also, the total average words-per-chapter number, the average time spent reading so far, and a big green progress bar. Just because.

(Updated: 2018-07-11)

Meta Checker has been discontinued. I don't think anyone but me had use for it anyway.

Queuefka Palazzo
Group Contributor

Pastebin Link

Here's my version of the remaining words script. It doesn't have the graphical representation of the percentage complete, but it should be much easier to maintain.

ssokolow
Group Contributor

I like the idea but I think I'll wait until January or February when I have time to rewrite it to automatically calculate my average reading speed.

Not only would that be easier to use (since I always forget to measure my reading speed), it'd mean I could have it calculate both per-fic speeds and a site-wide average so that, on fics I've already partly read, I can get estimates that better account for the effects of writing style on how quickly I read.

Selbi
Group Admin

Updated the Remaining Words script to fix a bug where incorrect information is shown when multiple stories are listed at once.

ssokolow
Group Contributor

You'll want to get rid of Meta Checker. The announcement was basically saying that you're not allowed to point the following things at FiMFiction URLs unless you do it only once per click/keypress instead of letting the click/keypress load a new page the normal way:

$.ajax()
$.get()
$.load()
$.post()
XMLHttpRequest()
XDomainRequest()

...or the various ActiveXObject() equivalents used in older Microsoft browsers.

Selbi
Group Admin

Due to the potential for these scripts to create server load issues if large numbers of users use them, you are no longer allowed to advertise or mention scripts which generate AJAX requests without user action, or that generate multiple AJAX requests for a single user action. (A user action is defined as either a click or a keyboard shortcut.)

That means the all-on-one-click buttons have to go, otherwise it's fine.

EDIT: Updated.

ssokolow
Group Contributor

Ahh. I hadn't noticed that there was a non-"all-on-one-click" way to use it.

The part you quoted is more or less exactly what I said. For each click/keypress, you're allowed to do one AJAX request on the condition that, for links and form buttons, you call preventDefault() on the event object your event handler receives.

Selbi
Group Admin

Uploaded to Userscripts.org.

Selbi
Group Admin

Updated Meta Checker.

2507217 Possible bug, but can't figure out if it's something on my end. The "m" for the meta checker has suddenly disappeared on me. To my knowledge, the only change that's taken effect was my Chrome updating. Here's a pic of what it looks like on the chapter list of a story page:

I'll continue messing with things to figure out what's going on.

2507217 Ok, so now I'm really confused. Meta Checker works fine, but only on the pages of the stories I've published. Essentially, the only stories I would never have a reason to use this on are the only ones it works on, and I have no idea why. Any thoughts? Anything I need to do on my end to fix this?

Selbi
Group Admin

If was always only working on single story pages. I wanted to make it work on story lists, but due to the horrendous way I coded this I can't do that anymore.

I'll take a look into this problem though.

Selbi
Group Admin

Fixed at last. Sorry it took so long; I totally forgot about it. :twilightblush:

2968096 Yes! Thank you so much for doing that. I still have no idea what changed or went wrong, but at least it could be fixed.

Selbi
Group Admin

Better late than ever, right? Oh wait, I think I forgot a letter...

Xaquseg
Server Administrator

Meta checker is currently a rules violation, it violates the site userscript policy.

I haven't actually checked myself, but, according to this post, it shouldn't break any rules: 2338998

Now, if it still does, just ignore this post. At least it works as way to bring attention to Selbi, since you actually forgot to quote him =P

Selbi
Group Admin

What 3223413 said above. There used to be a feature that initiates an AJAX request to every single chapter of a story, but I've had that disabled ever since you posted that site post four months ago. All it does now is doing one request and you need to click on every chapter manually. That is pretty much exactly the same as opening every chapter in a new tab.

Now, if that somehow is still against the rules I will remove this script of course. However, I'd like to have an explanation, just so I can understand the reasoning too.

Selbi
Group Admin

Updated Meta Checker!

Fully functional again.

Okay, I bite. Where do you input your reading speed in the Remaining Words and Reading Time app?

3778802 You'll need to manually edit the code of the userscript yourself. If you're using Tampermonkey, you go to the dashboard (normally by clicking the Tampermonkey icon and clicking "Dashboard") where all your scripts are listed, click on the Remaining Words one, and change the variable named WPM. Here's an image to show what it looks like:

I can't remember what the default wpm was, but I think it was the 277 shown last I checked.

The process isn't much different for Greasemonkey. Click on the dropdown arrow next to the Greasemonkey icon on your toolbar and select "Manage Userscripts", or if the icon isn't there, open the Firefox menu (the three horizontal bars in the top right of the browser) and click on "Add-ons" to manage your add-ons and then click on the sidebar labeled "Userscripts". A list of your userscripts should appear in either case. Click on the button that says "Options" for the Remaining Words script and choose "Edit this User Script" in the dialog box that appears. There, you'll be able to change the WPM variable and save the script.

Happy reading! :twilightsmile:

~ Emoredoma wid dorn sylon…

Oh. Well, great. Thanks for the help! I was trying to edit it under the "inspect element" icon, but that makes a heck of a lot more sense; thank you.

Is this broken?

Edit: Oh, sorry, didn't see the master post.

Selbi
Group Admin

Complete rewrite and fix for Remaining Words & Reading Time!

No more jQuery, less visual clutter, blends nicely into the design (both light and dark theme), has a new progress bar underneath the chapters box.

Update is available on the same old GreasyFork page.

Little backstory:
I haven't read a Fimfic story in years, and I don't really plan to change that soon either. But I've learned a lot about JavaScript in the mean time. And let me tell you what: Remaining Words is the most atrocious piece of code I've ever written. If you look at the banner for this forum closely, you will even see me bluntly and unironically using "unsafeWindow" in the top left. On top of that, the visual design for the old script was oozing with inexperience and had me tossing in anything I could imagine (here's the old one for reference). I hope I've done a better job this time.

Thanks for the update. Also wow, it blends so well I almost didn't realize it was back. Now I need to check my wpm and see if i can change it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 25