FIMFiction UserScripts 383 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
Selbi
Group Admin

This one goes out to all the OCD heads.

Many writers have their own writing style, which is good in itself. However, I personally draw the line at typography, because those are clearly defined rules and once you've learned about curly brackets, any " just looks out of place and can't be unseen.

This script tries as best as possible to unify the typography of all stories:

• Curly quotation marks, single and double ("Hello!" -> “Hello!”)
  • Curly single quotation marks on cut-off words (lookin' good -> lookin’ good)
  • Curly apostrophes (it's -> it’s)
  • Unicode ellipsis for regular ellipsis and spaced ellipsis (. . . -> …)
  • Missing spaces after punctuation ("he said.Then" -> "he said. Then")
  • Remove excess spacing and line breaks ( ____ -> _ )

And lastly, unify all hand-written page breaks (*****, -----, =====) with the proper CSS page breaker:

This thing is essentially just one ugly chain of RegEx replacements, so I hope it doesn't have too much of a performance impact.

EDIT: I've just realized that curly quotation marks are near invisible in sans-serif fonts. Oh well, I assume most people read with serifs anyway, where they are absolutely noticeable:

Bug report: section breaks containing extra data are replaced with simple CSS breaks. See here:

- - - - ⧖ - - - -
Time: 7:05 A.M. Wednesday June 24, 2015
- - - - ⧖ - - - -

ssokolow
Group Contributor

EDIT: I've just realized that curly quotation marks are near invisible in sans-serif fonts. Oh well, I assume most people read with serifs anyway, where they are absolutely noticeable:

I read with sans serif because I think HiDPI monitors are a waste of GPU wattage in an un-airconditioned room. (Plus, I'd have to buy my spread of three monitors new that way. People gave away the pair of 19" 1280x1024 monitors and 22" 1920x1080 monitor that I'm using and, if I run out of spares before I learn to replace shoddy capacitors, I can get more for maybe $15 each at thrift stores.)

The break unification interests me though.

Selbi
Group Admin

Gah, why do people always think they're clever by doing weirdly unique page breaks...

That being said though, I don't see what you mean with replaced, it just looks unaffected to me. Could you show me a screenshot and tell me your browser/userscript addon?

EDIT: Oops, had the script disabled. Yeah, that can't stay. It's also a bit too agressive removing excess line breaks. I'll fix it asap.

Selbi
Group Admin

That's fair of course, but even sans-serif curly quotes look better to me. It definitely shouldn't look worse, at least.

ssokolow
Group Contributor

Gah, why do people always think they're clever by doing weirdly unique page breaks...

Probably a habit from Fanfiction.net, which is infamous for being broken in ways that'll swallow your page breaks... I'm not sure if it's because it just finds and strips instances of too many of the same character in a row or if it's because the support for proper <hr> tags is often broken and it's recognizing and converting them to <hr>.

(eg. One trick I've seen multiple times there is, if a fic is named Harry Potter Story With Page Breaks, it might use the string "HPSWPB", centred and in boldface, as its page breaks.)

Heck, one of the gotchas on Fanfiction.net is to never write a percentage as "100%" because they are too lazy to write a proper HTML sanitizer and just silently strip all instances of the % character from uploaded chapters. (They're big on that "do our anti-spam stuff silently in the hope spammers don't cross-check the resulting served content against what they fed in" idea.)

Selbi
Group Admin

Fixed, please download it again. And if there are any more cases of the script being overzealous, please let me know!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7