FIMFiction UserScripts 383 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

While this isn’t a userscript per se, bear with me. It is a script for Fimfic users, and I think it could be very helpful for some people.

You see, the thing is that Fimfic doesn’t allow NSFW images or even links to pages that have NSFW images to be posted anywhere on the site. But sometimes you want to share one anyway. Sometimes you’re linking to the source of a cropped cover image. Or maybe you’re trying to link to a discussion page somewhere else, but you can’t because other posts on that page have NSFW images. Or maybe you want to give a link to some artist’s profile page, but their page has NSFW art on it.

Well, now there’s a solution to that: The Fimfiction Link Sanitizer!

It’s just a simple php script that will take the NSFW link you feed it and create a separate page that just has that link. You can then (with the click of a button) copy the link to that (perfectly SFW) page and share that link on Fimfic without breaking Fimfic rules. By using The Fimfiction Link Sanitizer as a middle-man, you can link to anything you want without breaking any Fimfic rules. Anyone who opens the link will only find a sanitized page with no NSFW images, and just one link that leads to something NSFW. (Sharing links to pages that in turn have links to NSFW pages is allowed by Fimfic rules.)

So just bookmark the page to create a new link, and use this new power to post (indirect) NSFW links on Fimfic wisely.

7277427 You do know you've just opened the Pandora's box, right?

Edit: Link to a link to a questionable picture removed.

Yes, it does look like Fluttershy is regretting her choice to open ‘pandora’s box’ in that instance ^.^

I want to open Celestia's box

This is chaotic, sneaky, and utterly brilliant.
10/10, will stick it to the man again.
Thank you.

Sollace
Group Admin

Sweep sweep sweep sweep!

Just one innocent litte link

Like a redirect warning or the "you are leaving..." things you see on some site? Excellent idea. I could see this coming in very handy.

Selbi
Group Admin

If this is all it takes to bypass the NSFW rules I'm kinda confused about what they try to accomplish in the first place.

Anyway, you might want to consider doing a script for this anyway, like one that automatically converts your posted links to sanitized links. From the looks of it, all you really need to do is to place the target URL into a request param anyway.

Also, I'm 99% sure something like "short URL but without automatic redirect" already has to exist somewhere, I just got no idea how one would google for something as obscure as this.

Confirmed that it is with the mods on a previous case. A few years back, I couldn't link to the FiMFetch archive for NSFW stuff because it didn't have an interstitial. As soon as the dev added it, mods said it was good to go.

What they were trying to accomplish is compliance with advertisers' rules. Interstitials are OK, direct links to NSFW are not.

If this is all it takes to bypass the NSFW rules I'm kinda confused about what they try to accomplish in the first place.

I think it’s actually about advertising? At least that’s a justification I’ve seen some Fimfic staff use.
If there are NSFW images (or apparently even links to them?) on Fimfic, then the advertisers they’re using label the site as a NSFW site, giving them worse advertising rates or just refusing to do business with them altogether.

If that’s the real reason, then this little tool should work perfectly as a way to circumvent the problem.

On the other hand, if the rule against NSFW stuff is just them being prudish, then I expect they’ll soon make a rule against exactly what I’m doing here.

Anyway, you might want to consider doing a script for this anyway, like one that automatically converts your posted links to sanitized links. From the looks of it, all you really need to do is to place the target URL into a request param anyway.

Yeah ... if somebody wants to make a script that creates these links automatically, it would be pretty easy to do. Just:
http://dls.rf.gd/fimfiction_link_sanitizer.php?mode=display&url= + then append the NSFW url to the end of it.
It’s all done through the GET method so that the data can be stored in the URL itself and I don’t have to create some big database that contains all the different links. Keeps things simple.

Also, I'm 99% sure something like "short URL but without automatic redirect" already has to exist somewhere, I just got no idea how one would google for something as obscure as this.

Yeah, there are definitely other ways to go about it...
But I figured it would be easy enough to make a perfect tool designed just for this job. A way to keep it simple, lightweight, and quick.
It only took me about 6 hours to make. :facehoof: But that’s just because I’m really rusty on my web design/coding skills. Plus, HTML has changed since I used to be into it. Everything is CSS now, so I had to kind of teach myself the basics of CSS as I went along. Someone who’s actually good at this could have probably thrown it together in under an hour.

knighty
Site Owner

I know you've spent time on this so I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this very much does not allow you to link nsfw content. The only instance where we have permitted leniency on linking nsfw content is when linking to a gallery page of an artist for example where an age gate is provided and the content is primarily sfw. Linking to a page which simply links to another which is nsfw is not something I'm going to allow to skirt the rules and almost certainly wouldn't be considered acceptable as a workaround by adsense, which as has been stated is one of the key reasons for the rule.

Selbi
Group Admin

Can you think of a compromise? I don't know, something like a confirmation button along the lines of "I am 18+" before being redirected?

How deep does this go? Because eventually, everything is connected to everything else.
For example, any link to a SFW image on derpibooru would only be one or two clicks away from NSFW content. All you have to do is click the link in the top left corner to the Derpibooru homepage, which almost always has NSFW images on it. So by this theory, it should be against the rules to link to *any* image or artist profile on Derpibooru. How is that any different?

Same with pretty much any other site that allows NSFW content. It’s usually just one or two clicks away.

Take Youtube for example. Any Youtube video you link to might have NSFW videos linked in the related videos section, depending on the individual user’s history.

Or, for another example, let’s try something Fimfic official.
1: Go to this official page on Fimfic
2: Click the link to go to Fimfic’s Patreon page
3: Scroll down to the “Pledge Issues (resolved)” post, click the “15 comments” link to bring up that post’s comments.
4: Scroll down through the comments until you see Daniyel099’s comment. Click his username.
5: That brings up Daniyel99’s Patreon page, which has NSFW images if you’re one of his supporters.
So, that’s a link that leads to NSFW content within 4 clicks of leaving Fimfic. Is that okay?

What I’m getting at is that there must be some limit. What I’m looking for is a more specific clarification of the rules. The only Fimfic rule I can find that seems applicable is: Do not post NSFW images or link to NSFW sites in blogs.
So I guess this hinges on a definition: what precisely is a “NSFW site”? Where is the line drawn?

What would make it okay?
-Needing to be logged in to the Link Sanitizer to be able to see the link?
-Needing to complete a captcha to see the link?
-Needing to follow 10 links through different websites before finally getting to a NSFW link?

knighty
Site Owner

I think you know you're making a false equivalence here between something that can lead to nsfw via unrelated links vs a link that goes to a website where literally the only purpose is linking to another.

Okay, so what if I make the Link Sanitizer multipurpose?
The link page also displays random SFW images. Or has a comment section or an online game or something.

There has to be some limit.

(For now, I’ll disable the links until we figure something out.)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14