The Self-Doubting Writers Support Group 1,119 members · 2,079 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

When is a story considered Original Content? Is it the way the story is told? Or is it the story idea itself?

I came up with a story idea involving Batman going to Equestria something along those lines. I looked it up and saw that several stories have already done this type of idea. Either way, I'm still going to write the story because I like the idea.

So, which is it? Is it the story idea itself that makes it Original Content? Or is it the way the story is told?

Bad Dragon
Group Contributor

7488746 The way I see it, original content is if you could write it even if you were the only person on the planet and humanity never existed. The moment you say Batman, it's a fanfiction.

Good point! Very good point!

Depends on what you deem to be original content. In the strictest sense, original content would be something that nobody ever thought of before you. Judging if such a thing can be created is nigh impossible, given that you cannot know the sum of ideas humanity (and not even humanity) as a whole had.

That leaves us with the most often used definition of original content, and that's just the one that original content is produced by you--that is, the wording is yours, the twist you put on things is yours, et cetera. In other words, original content is content that's not copied or shared. However, it may draw on some external source for inspiration. E.g., as long as a fanfic is written by you, it can still be considered your content that cannot be plagiarised. Similarly, memes that are created by you using a pre-made template are considered original content by some. It boils down to individual interpretation of what is original and what isn't.

Is it the story idea itself that makes it Original Content?

Maybe but then again there is very little that's original.
Some folks could argue there's no such thing only ideas that were less commonly used.

Is it the way the story is told?

This is more important.

Think of how famous writers handled vampires.
Anne Rice, Stephen King(Salem's lot) and Stephenie Meyer all had books about vampires, but their handling of the subject was different.

How you handle and show readers your story will make your story stand out from the other folks.
Do you want to roll as a HIE (Human in Equestria)?

Or when Batman goes to Equestria he gets turned into a pony, but some of his fancy gadgets get turned into powers.
What if Batman became an unicorn in Equestria?

Or maybe Batman becomes an earth pony?

What if Batman became an unicorn in Equestria?

Or maybe Batman becomes an earth pony?

I'd say it's a waste of potential if you don't turn him into a batpony. :trollestia:

Maddening mutations Batman, you're a bat pony!

When the mane six sees him, this might happen:

But I don't know if ponies see bat ponies the same way as bats.
Though Batman's logo is a bat.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7