SpikeBelle 702 members · 186 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

Though SpikeBelle is my second favorite pairing next to Spilight (really nothing can top that pairing for me) I've always really enjoyed Spike and Sweetie Belle being together and I honestly have nothing against Spike being with Scootaloo or Apple Bloom, in face Spikealoo is my second of Spike and C.M.C romance while SpikeBloom is my third, nothing against Apple Bloom I love her but just....yeah. I'm even planning on making my own SpikeBelle story soon.

I heard all the jokes and snickers of Spike going after Sweetie just because she is Rarity's sister and for no real reason and that both annoys and confuses me, do people just not think the two could work on their own....anyone got any thoughts on this amazing pairing for the long run? Or...you know, until Sweetie Belle dies.

Darth Redbeard
Group Admin

4419746 people just like to complain about the simplest of things. Heck, I'm amazed no one has complained about what I have Spike as in two of my stories. Only complaints I get are from a different pairing and recent complainer was a TwiDash shipper. I don't go to their stories and complain but they go to mine.

Sorry. Got off subject.
Those people who are doing that don't really even take time to examine the pairing like we do. Write what you want and don't let some people go around complaining about what you like.

Honestly, I tend to think they have a much better chemistry than Sparity. Aside from the age issue (Rarity has to be at least ten years older than Spike), they both have slightly dorky, goofy traits and I keep getting the feeling they'd have a lot of fun together. Plus, they look seriously cute as a couple.

I'm pretty sure I'd still ship them even if Spike never had a crush on Rarity - the sister connection is mostly a coincidence in my mind. Though, Rarity does give us a good indication of what Spike likes in a girl - the glamorous, lady-like yet strong-willed type - and as much as I dig Apple Bloom and Scootaloo, they might be a bit too tomboyish for him. (Whereas Sweetie is more like just tomboyish enough.)

4419837 I very much respect and agree with you're statement. They just seem to work, they have similar personallys and might just stand the test of time perhaps, plus Sweetie is a unicorn and I like to think the only way two different species can have children is magical asstience, but that's just me....I need to read more SpikeBelle.

Well, my personal fanon has already established that pegasi can procreate with griffons, which gives you hippogriffs, though it's very rare. Basically, realism isn't really what we're going for here.

If I had to justify it, I would say that since dragons are highly magical shapeshifters, their DNA can actually adapt to that of a non-dragon mate. It's just that it practically never happens since dragons typically want nothing to do with other creatures.

4420019 Not a bad idea in all honestly I like that theory and very, very fair point....though could you blame them?

Who, the dragons? They're just solitary creatures by nature, at least the adult ones, due to their tendency for extreme greed. That's probably a good thing since they'd be ruling the entire world if they could get organized enough to form a society. Spike's upbringing makes him fairly unique in that he's practically a pony mentally.

One part of the problem is that sometimes the trope "rejected by rarity goes after sweetie belle" is used in a good amount of spikebelle stories, it's the flaw in our ship, and trust me, all ships have at least one flaw. The rarity replacement, although not used as often as it once was, it is still a large factor in some stories.

do people just not think the two could work on their own?

Of course, it's not part of their head-canon. Like how you are a Spilight and Spikebelle shipper, it's just a manner of preference mixed with how they view the character. One issue that divides the fandom is Spike's age. A large portion of people say he's an adult, the other that he's a kid. From the view of the former, Spikebelle and any Spike X filly ship is molestation, while viewing it from the latter, Sparity and any Spike X mare ship is molestation. You also have to factor in that in the show's canon, he likes Rarity, weather it would work out or not, for a TV show that is huge, just look at the WenDipper ship in Gravity Falls, (the one ship that the writers sunk like a sack full of rocks) It would probably not work out, but people still shipped it.

Using myself as an example, and I really hope you do not take this as an attack because it just supports the reasoning of preference/head-canon, I wouldn't think to really ship Twispike/Spilight, not because I think it's stupid, but because I see them as either siblings or Mother and son, it's my perception of the characters and their relationship. Same with Buttonbelle, Rarpants, Fluttercord, it's not that they're bad ships, it's just not my cup of tea.

While we think that Spikebelle works, other people view Spike differently than how we do, and honestly that's good, that's what gives use diversity in fanfics. As for the jokes, there's nothing wrong with parodying a ship of any kind, the problem is when someone blatantly just says that X ship is the dumbest one ever and refuses to even try and look at it through someone your lens.

With those guys, just ignore them, because this is their of thinking, "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." - Zapp Brannigan.

One issue that divides the fandom is Spike's age. A large portion of people say he's an adult, the other that he's a kid.

It's just, he obviously isn't an adult. Ignoring the fact that he isn't even a teenager by the standard of his species, he's still portrayed as a young adolescent at best, and the other characters tend to treat him as one.

What we know for certain is that Spike's physical age is roughly equal to the age difference between the Mane Six and the CMC. We specifically know that Rarity was a filly when Spike was hatched, and that she was fully grown (most likely in her mid teens) when Sweetie Belle was five, and that current Sweetie is considerably older than five. This all implies Spike is closer in age to Sweetie than to Rarity.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9