World-Building Alliance 2,164 members · 848 stories
Comments ( 64 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 64

Yes, the world in which Equestria exists is full of magical creatures. However even in other series where fantasy creatures abound, there's always some kind of animal or creature that is always regarded as a myth or legend. Something that modern society refuses to recognize.

However, if our eyes see it...................If our cameras capture it................. Does it exist? You are about to enter a thread where fact meets fiction, where science meets legend, where nightmares come to life. Do you believe? :pinkiecrazy:

This thread exists for the purpose of creating cryptids for the world as well as giving logical reasoning behind why they are considered myth or legend.

To start things off, I present the world's best known cryptid. The Sasquatch.

The Sasquatch is an ancient bipedal ape-like creature, with those who believe in it's existence believing it to be related to the mythical human species in some way. Sightings of the beast have been recorded in all corners of Equestria. Sometimes a fleeting glance in a dense forest, other times a close up view of the creature when it occasionally wanders into campsites, or sometimes a more violent encounter.

The average temperament of the Sasquatch seems to vary by region. Northern sightings have claimed the creature as docile and even protective of other species. However sightings that originate from the south give a darker depiction as those who survived encounters with the Southern Sasquatch reported it violently ripping ponies apart, throwing them into rocks or trees with enough force to shatter bone, or bashing them to death with their bare hands. The southern species of Sasquatch seems to be extremely territorial and will react with extreme violence if it catches intruders in its domain.

Many of the Southern Sasquatches attacks are chalked up to Timber Wolves, Manticore, or even rogue bear attacks.

To this day the Sasquatch remains the most enigmatic of all Equestria's native fauna. However if one gets lost in the woods on a camping trip, pray to the great Faust that you aren't in southern territory.

There was one fic that had the "Laughing Ape" that was native to the Zebra lands

The IDW Comics have the Sass-squash (no, I'm not kidding).

1636619 Funny. But not exactly horrifying.

It's MLP, the canon stuff ain't supposed to be horrifying.

Well, we can always pull random things from ... I think it was "Meet the Saturdays" or something and "Gravity Falls."
Both shows have a lot of weird shit.

1636505 Humans do not exist. Yahoos on the other hoof... also a flightless bat called the Chupacabra. and the pine devil.

but Sasquatch is known to be real

The Wolpertinger: the goofiest-looking cryptid known to pony-(or human)kind

A creature created long ago during Discord's reign, mostly as a practical joke, it did not revert to its state as different animals following his defeat at the hooves of Princesses Celestia and Luna. It did this by actually breeding, and so these characteristics proved to be irreversible once the animal had been born. From then on, these creatures roamed the largely pine and hardwood forests of Equestria. Their secretive nature and differing abilities allow them to thrive without generally being seen, and if one does see one, they usually vanish before a picture can be taken.

Dietary limits are usually the same as a normal rabbit, such as grasses and vegetables, though with their wings they can take to the trees and forage for nuts, fruits and flowers.

Curiously, these creatures are naturally attracted to nursing mammals, which they often watch over in small or even well-sized groups. They become rather defensive, but as pertaining to their secretive nature, a new mother might never know she is being guarded by a legion of flying fanged rabbits with antlers.

Not unless you really think about it.
In MLP or our world?

Bicorn: A monstrous unicorn-like creature with two horns that feeds on kind and devoted husbands (based on medieval folklore).

Although being MLP this would probably be sapient, so probably not much of a cryptid.

1636628 1636686 So world in eternal night bringing on a permanent ice age which will make the planet Pluto's big brother, an immensely powerful chimera of a creature that can reshape the laws of physics and reality like Play-Doh, a race of shape-shifters that can do a full scale reproduction of "Invasion of The Body Snatchers", and a demonic ancient emperor that enslaved an entire nation and used his dark magics to keep himself alive in spirit form, are not terrifying? :trixieshiftright:

Huh, okay then :facehoof:

1636686 the sasquatch? THEY ARE REAL!!! MY MOM HAS SEEN ONE IN REAL LIFE!!!

If you use enough scary adjectives you can make anything sound horrifying.

That's what I meant, kids won't think about the consequences, adults should... though most tend to forget all that and say that Celestia was being a big meany and the villains really weren't trying to destroy the world
Sorry but can't believe you

1636662 Known to be real?! Part of the charm of Bigfoot is that he's unknown!!

1636756 That response was more for Heliostorm :twilightsheepish:

1636720 There are sapient cryptids. Like the Reptilians or Lizard People who some people claim have a secret society and harvest humans. Sapient and secret. If anything being sapient allows them to remain a secret for far longer

A wingless variant of the wolpertinger (documented by 1636683) is more commonly known as the jackalope.

At least, cryptozoologists think they're a variant. Their magical signature certainly hints at similarly chaotic origins, but their behavior is quite different from their winged kin. Jackalopes are incredibly willful and intelligent. They can crossbreed with normal rabbits, and the offspring will often inherit both the mind and attitude of their horned forebears. The horns themselves are magic-conductive, though the bicorn bunnies only ever cast one spell: dominate rabbit.
Once they reach a critical mass, herds of jackalope-led rabbits stampede across forest and plains alike, devouring plant life like adorable, fuzzy locusts. The vegetable devastation is so extreme that some who witness it are traumatized for life, suffering flashbacks and when exposed to enough rabbits at once. In extreme cases, they may even faint.

1636864 What's that supposed to mean? :rainbowhuh:

1636872 a story I wrote directly relating to the idea of cryptids in Equestria.

1636945 Why didn't you say so? :ajbemused:

1636964 because I was researching a race of sapient flying marsupials.

1637216 No. WEIROOS!!!

Doe

Buck

Joey

DOE GIVING BIRTH BY IMPLANTING THE JOEY INTO A HOST MAMMAL

1637268 :derpyderp2: That's.................................... disturbing. :rainbowderp:

1637316 even though they are marsupials, the does do not carry their young in pouches. you see, unlike a Pegasus, their wings are modified rib bones. since they are poor flyers, they can't afford to carry their joey.

so they became cuckoos, first planting their babies in the pouches of other marsupials, then moving to the wombs of placental mammals. this required an enlarged, penis-like clitoris, similar to a hyena's.

1637370 Again............................ That's disturbing :rainbowderp:

1637394 yes. and the males aren't really considered intelligent, and are frequently beaten by their wives.

A congregation of Wieroo was just a collection of individuals, without any more complex interrelationships or common purposes. The behavior of an individual Wieroo was dictated, not by relationships with other individuals, but by the strength and prowess of that individual against others.

So, when a Wieroo builds a house, its choice is dictated by its ability to impose itself on the others around it. Which could include using other houses as walls, or even as building materials, or building its house on top of another house. There is no concept of planning or order. Status among Wieroo is determined not by relationships, but by acts, including acts of Murder. A Wieroo City thus, is a lot closer to a Seagull breeding rookery, both in structure and social organization, than it is to a pony city.

This doesn't mean that Wieroo have no capacity for social relationships at all. It's clear that they murder each other freely, treat each other as slaves and have almost no interest in their children. Nevertheless, they have evolved some basic degree of cooperation in being able to endure in a city or colony at all. They are intelligent enough to recognize common purposes, and if the reward is close, they can work together. They can appreciate cooperation through enlightened self interest, including bargaining and exchange, where there is not enough strength to simply take. Males and females probably bond. And the need to find and control host mothers for their reproduction probably drives some social cooperation and organization. But Wieroo social wiring, their social evolution and social behavior is quite different from primates and markedly less advanced.

It is likely that one major driver of social behavior and Wieroo society is the need to find, control, and care for host mothers. At least, so long as those host mothers are useful for reproduction. Host mothers are the equivalent of big game, so they may work cooperatively to hunt and trap them. Host mothers must then be controlled or the babies may not survive. Controlling them means confining and feeding them. Which means that the demands on a Wieroo's time and energy grow dramatically with every host mother acquired. One way around that trap is to try and force the slaves or host mothers to earn their own keep. Another way is to enlist other Wieroo in feeding and caging your host mothers, either through your own strength and willingness to murder them, or by bargaining status, resources or access to host mothers.

You should consider reading the comics, which have already introduced a 'Sassquash'.

1637370 Except that a hyena's penis tears off during birth... not an appropriate conduit for babies!:twilightoops:

1637474 Well. You must be a top-grade biology student.:ajbemused:

Scorpion Ponies

Scorpion from the waist down, pony from the waist up, with giant pincers instead of hooves and sharp teeth instead of the flatter ones typical of ponies. Bizarrely, they all look female and it is nigh impossible to distinguish the sexes. It's said that they guard treasures and gateways, and many have launched expeditions to try and find these hidden wonders. Depictions of their intelligence varies from barely-there eat-kill-patrol instincts to pony-like levels, or sometimes beyond.

They're apocryphal because everyone "knows" there are only three tribes of pony in existence, and because all accounts of their existence come from unreliable local sightings and ambiguous photographs. The convinced ponies counter that this is because Scorponies, as they are affectionately known, live underground in rapidly dug tunnels - which are just as rapidly filled in once the Scorponies are finished with them - and they are shy of any pony contact. Dissenters counter that scorpion-like ponies would not be shy, thus proving that arthropodology is clearly not a part of the Equestrian school curriculum.

I wish I could put up a picture, but I'm rubbish at artwork, and I don't think anyone's actually done one yet, much less to the specifications noted here.

1636505>>1636811
In the comics there are Jackalopes of the vampiric variety and. As for the Sasquatch there is already an Equestrian equilvilent which is theSass Squash

The Lochness Monster and Champ of Lake Champlain. The fabled dinosaurs that survived and are living in lakes too deep to explore, though if we are saying they exist in Equestria then said creatures might not count, as they'd most likely be talking.

So I'll go with the Jersey Devil, for my cryptid.

1638171 Weiroo=marsupial=bumblebee-sized baby.

1637268 :rainbowderp:

YOU'RE A NUT!!!:twilightoops:

Guys, I think I need a brain bleach.:fluttershyouch:

1636720 I like your cryptid the most.:pinkiesmile:

We mustn't forget the nagas, perhaps the coolest amalgamation of a human/pony and a snake.

Just a few examples, but you get the idea.

1638737 EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS CAME UP WITH THE IDEA!!!!

1639213 I love that pic in the middle! :pinkiehappy: Perfect interpretation of a snake-man!

OHSEE DONUT STEEL!

UGAS (Uh-gahz):

Physical Properties: Large, twice the size of Iron Will. Bipedal like Diamond Dogs, does not walk on knuckles. Long legs, stocky body, short muzzle/snout/snuzzle, large jaw in comparison, pure white coat. Two stubby bull horns grow out to the side of the eyes, near the ears.

Special Properties: Immense strength, enough to throw a pony sized boulder at least one hundred yards. Fairly intelligent, but brutish. Sporting. Accounts have said that if you can keep up with them while playing one of their games, known to be called "Vootbuhl." Also known to wear clothes with seemingly random numbers and names on them.

Location: Southeastern Griffon Empire, though they have been "sighted" in areas as far as Southeast Equestria and the Midwest.

"Well, you see, I was just back home, visiting family, when I saw the strangest thing. Big two legged creature, huge huge huge, walking down the road. He looked like a diamond dog, if they were twice the size of a minotaur, stood up straighter, and had better language. Now I was expecting the worst -I had my father's crossbow at my side for a reason- but he just walked up, weird helmet in paw, and said "may Ah please have some lemonade?" in the sweetest voice I'd ever heard.

"I might also have been stoned out of my mind at the time."

1638642 would YOU give birth to a bumblebee through your penis?:rainbowderp:

1645257 DON'T CENSOR ME!!!

and the hyena's Clit doesn't fall off, it rolls up.

I MADE IT POSSIBLE!!!

1641476 WHOA. a PINE DEVIL!!! you know, they're supposed to be related to goats somehow.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 64