My Little Over Analysis 235 members · 198 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8
NachoTheBrony
Group Contributor

Is Holder's Boulder a dragon egg?

FanOfMostEverything
Group Contributor

It seems too large, based on Spike's. Even taking into account the tremendous amount of diversity among dragons seen in "Dragon Quest," it seems excessive. It could be an egg of a roc or similar oviparous megafauna, but I suspect it was fossilized long ago. The dragon who hoarded it probably kept it as a curiosity more than anything.

Pilate
Group Admin

Looked like one, was taken from a nest, and so on. If it's not an actual egg, it's a fossil or just a visual gag.

You'd think a family of rock farmers could tell if it was an actual rock, though.

NachoTheBrony
Group Contributor

You'd think a family of rock farmers could tell if it was an actual rock, though.

That's precisely the thing, though: contrary to bones being cellular lattices of calcium carbonate, an egg shell is pretty much just a calcium carbonate rock. Furthermore, eggshells are progressively thicker the larger the egg is, so the boulder might be simply thicker than the rock farmers can sense through.
Do remember that the rock farm was founded around the egg, believing it to be an egg. They might have discarded the notion simply because it hasn't hatched, but it may need "stimulus". Let's call Twilight and ask her to zap it!

It could be an egg of a roc or similar oviparous megafauna, but I suspect it was fossilized long ago.

Or it may need a good magic zapping.
Who knows?

That was my thought too. Could it be the writers are actually planning ahead? :pinkiegasp:

Pilate
Group Admin

It's suspect that Granny mentioned Dragons at all. The whole "origin story" seemed somewhat out of left field, and the dragon part felt especially punctuated.

But it just as easily be nonsense meant to demonstrate solidly how traditions are formed. It is what gives AJ the epiphany, after all (i.e. you make traditions, so don't try and substitute one or the other, but make new ones instead, together).

Jordan179
Group Contributor

I'm guessing that whatever comes out of Holder's Boulder is going to be huge. I'm also guessing that Big Mama is going to be far, far huger -- as in, bigger than most full-grown Dragons.

NachoTheBrony
Group Contributor

Between mythologies and fantasies, we just don't know how large do MLP creatures get. Just from within G4, we already have that the red dragon from S01E07 ("DragonShy"), is just slightly too small to have carried that egg:

Furthermore, despite Spike being a baby dragon in the current Generation, he was actually Ancient (and the same size) in Generation 3:

And then, when he grew greedy, he apparently became at least twice as large as the red dragon from DragonShy (judging from pony body size comparison), and probably not four, but ten times the weight.

But using the water tower as size reference, Spike would be smaller that the Ursa Minor, and more than an order of magnitude below the size of an Ursa Mayor.

If a Dragon the size of Spike could push out one such egg, a creature the size of an Ursa Mayor could lay a large clutch of them!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8