• Published 31st May 2022
  • 1,200 Views, 79 Comments

The Red Knight - PhantomBulwark



Sunset Shimmer, a young squire, becomes so much more than what destiny had planned. Is she truly a knight? Is she more than the peasant she was born as?

  • ...
5
 79
 1,200

Chapter 22: Fulcrum

Author's Note:

Lots of dialog in this chapter and if the next turns out like I hope it does you may even be able to skip this one but I like it. We get a bit more of Sunset and Flash interaction, and poor long-suffering AJ... :ajbemused:

enjoy

Sweat beads on Sunset's brow as she pushes a dead changeling loose from her spear.

They've been at this for four days and the wall is impenetrable. Ropes that make it over the top are swiftly cut and they have no time to build ladders. The enemy presses them from all sides, rest is nonexistent. It seems to Sunset that even if they make it over the wall, they won't have the numbers to win.

The Changeling's wash over them, again and again. The moment they reached the clearing where the wall began their foe had dropped from the trees and popped straight out of the ground. There were tunnels dug all around from which the enemy force poured in droves. Sunset had surmised that the tunnels connected and led under the wall. But despite their efforts they could not gain the ground to enter even a single passageway.

As the day's light began to fade the Changeling's began to move toward the safety of their burrows and trees. They would rest, Sunset's men would not. There was no way to rest peacefully knowing your enemy is all around and might attack at any moment. All their hope rested on Indigo Zapp. If she could not return with their friends from the gorge, the Dark regiment would be finished.

Being inside enemy territory in the dark of night is the most frightening experience Sunset has ever encountered. The constant need to be on guard, the fear of a midnight attack, it makes her chest hurt. It also gives her an idea.

Applejack shakes her head, “absolutely not.”

“We're surrounded AJ,” Sunset says softly. “You know as well as I that it's only a matter of time before they get bored of toying with us and launch an attack that'll take us all out. All they would need is a half-dozen archers on the wall and time. We're sitting ducks, and frankly that's my fault but I haven't given up on Dash and Pinkie.”

They're both leaning against a large tree, one Sunset has checked thoroughly for Changelings. Flash has taken his (almost customary at this point) spot; kneeling quietly by Sunset's side. Sunset glances at him, he's listening she knows, but his gaze is far off. She's seen this expression before.

“You have something in mind?” He doesn't move. “Flash,” she says more forcefully. He jumps, his head snapping up. “What are you thinking?”

He hums, “Sunset's right. I imagine the Changeling's are as tired as we are, they'll want to end this soon. Too soon for our help to arrive. We need to act and retreat isn't an option, they'll just box us in.”

AJ frowns at him, “we should have left you where we found you.” At his crestfallen look she quickly continues, “you've taken after Sunny here far too much, it's like havein' two of her.”

Sunset shrugs, “he's young, maybe you can screw his head on straighter than you did mine.”

AJ laughs, “not a chance. Now tell me what kind of cracked plan you've put together now.”

Sunset points to the wall, “I haven't read much about the kingdom but I know that they need water. No ones been collecting any from the river so they have to getting it in somehow. My bet is with an aqueduct, and to water the whole place it has to be big. Maybe... it's even big enough for a small force to get through.”

Applejack boggles, “you want to get into a city filled to the brim with varmints with not but a handful of men? We'll be caught and skinned alive!”

Flash shoots to his feet, “I have an idea!” Without any more information, he bolts away. The two women exchange startled looks and after a beat, they follow.

They find the blacksmith in his little makeshift wagon, he's yanking ingredients of some kind out of one of Pinkie's bags in a frenzy. Sunset calls his name a few times but he merely waves her off with a “Just a moment.” He carries on like that for a long while, hammering on and pulling things from a sack and muttering to himself. He has a crazed sort of focus in his eyes that keeps them silent.

When he finally comes out of his manic state, he's holding a tiny wooden bowl with the lid sealed with wax. He thrusts it at Sunset with a wide grin. She raises her eyebrows and gingerly takes it. “Uh... it's um... what is it?”

His smile widens in a way that makes AJ take several steps back. “Throw it in the fire,” he says.

“What-” Sunset swallows, “why?”

He takes it from her and gives it a gentle toss. It lands in the fire, a moment passes. Just as Sunset is turning to question him, there's a soft 'crack' from the fireside. In seconds the immediate area is filled with foul-smelling smoke. Sunset coughs roughly and yanks her tunic over her nose. She can hear AJ cursing and spitting.

“What the blessed fuck was that!?” Applejack snaps as the smoke begins to clear.

Flash grins his unnerving grin, “the perfect distraction.”

Sunset lets out a little grin of her own.

The next day, they go to work. The fight continues on all sides but Sunset, Flash, and AJ stay back. They spend all morning making dozens of Flash's “smoke spheres”. They make them just the right size to throw and Flash adds twine to some so they can light them manually. By the time the noon sun is above them, they're ready. Sunset collects a handful of soldiers to accompany them and leaves Shining in command.

They fight their way through the enemy, only engaging when necessary. Progress is slow as they make their way around the wall. Sunset guards the rear while AJ and Flash take point, looking for the entrance to the aqueduct. The sun has begun to disappear in the trees by the time the sound of running water gets close.

They stop and Applejack stomps to the back of their company, “Sun, we've got a problem.”

The place where the water enters beneath the wall is barred. Unlike the rest of the living wall of trees, this part is made of iron. The bars are as thick as Sunset's wrist and woven too tightly for them to slip through. “Ah, that's going to be a problem.”

One of their soldiers clears her throat, “Pardon me Commander, permission to speak?”

Sunset looks up in surprise, she nods to her.

The woman salutes, “Torque Wrench's the name, of Hope Hollow. What you need here is a fulcrum ma'am.” At Sunset's baffled look she elaborates, “if we wedge a long pole into the bars and apply enough leverage, we might be able to break it loose.”

Sunset nodded, glancing between the entrance of the aqueduct and the woman. “It could work. Can you make it happen Torque?”

The soldier beams at her, “Yes ma'am... well, I just need some muscle.”

Sunset looked to Applejack who grunted, “Oh, I'm the muscle then am I?”