Equestria at War 1,820 members · 808 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
Lil Penpusher
Group Admin

Hello there! Welcome back to our bi-weekly showcase!

Today's edition may be shorter than most, but that's for good reason. I wanted to use the opportunity (since it fits with our primary criteria) to shed a light on a very special story, to commemorate Remembrance Day. Yes, this is a week late for that, but I don't believe that really matters, does it? Let's just indulge ourselves in some tragic, emotional bliss for this.

Today's primary criteria: Popularity

They Shall Not Grow Old

On the 100th anniversary of the end of the Great War, the last veteran performs one final service for his county.

Story rating: E

Story tags: Alternate Universe

Character tags: Celestia

Basic premise: 100 years after the end of the Great War, Celestia and the last living veteran of the war commemorate the sacrifices made during the war. It's a solemn, mostly quiet tour past a lot of ponies that never came back home.

Final words: I'm actually not sure what to say, honestly. The story is rather short, but that's a good thing. It hits you in the gut with all the right emotions, and puts into perspective the sheer loss Equestria would have suffered from such a major war. The scene is built brilliantly and I highly encourage anyone going in to read this to have 'In Flanders Field' playing in the background for an added emotional kicker.

We'll be returning as usual in two weeks time to check out the next story, chosen primarily by word count. Until then!

Useful links:

Reddit Crosspost
Reddit Informative Post
Fimfiction Informative Post
Previous Showcase

I re-read this story a few weeks ago and it's not as good as I last remember it. The first time reading it two years ago, it felt like a A, but when I re-read it, it felt more like a B or C.

It's not worth a re-read, but it is definitely worth reading for a first time.

Lil Penpusher
Group Admin

I feel as though I get you. Stories like these definitely aim for that first impression to get that emotional boof out of you. When you re-read it later, that effect is obviously not quite there so you're left a little dry.

Still, a good story in my eyes.

thanks for posting!
I have just joined, and this looks like an interesting way to highlight fics!
The story itself was an interesting reflection... one does wonder how a big war like that would effect horses!

Lil Penpusher
Group Admin

Welcome to the group! Hope you're on the Discord, as well. That's the main community hub, but I'm trying to keep some activity and flair in here, as well myself.

Good to know!
I used to be a regular on the multiplayer group, but i can't play it while i'm in japan (my bad internet can't handle an 8 hr game ha), but will come back soon!
Also I am doing some other stuff in the background :rainbowderp:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6