• Published 15th May 2024
  • 148 Views, 4 Comments

A Day of Rest - Galgus



Paprika finds Arizona unconscious and helps her recover, whether she likes it or not. Set directly after Arizona's chapter, with minor retcons.

  • ...
 4
 148

A Day of Rest

Author's Note:

💋A 🍎B ❗️C 🌸D 🌺E 🌠F 🌀G 💕H 💛I 😊J ☁️K 🐂L 👀M ✨N 🌟O 💞P 💗Q 🍩R 💫S 🧺T ⭐U 💥V ⚡W ❕X ❌Y ➰Z

The key to Paprika's gibberish: or you can read the spoilered text.

Arizona opened her eyes only to shut them again, sore from injuries and strain.

Wha...what happened?

Let’s see, ah was exploring the temple, then, uh…

“That Unicorn!” She thought out loud, eyes snapping open as she sat up.

She found herself alone in a tent, laying on a bed of dried grass with a small pink and teal blanket.

Focused on her mission over her immediate surroundings, she laid back down staring up at the night sky through the open ring on top of the tent.

“Okay, think Arizona. We talked about the key, she told me to back down, I said ‘heck no,’ then we started fightin’. Then…”

Memories of the fight were a blur of blows on both sides. She remembered fending off claws and burning blasts of some predator-looking magic, then jumping off of that…thing in the book to lasso the unicorn - Oleander - down, but she struggled to recall anything else.

“I won, didn’t I? I had her down, then that varmint reached out an’...Or was that her? Maybe I was lookin’ at the varmint and missed her attackin’ again? Agh!”

The more she tried to piece everything together, the more it all seemed like a blur beyond two simple facts: she fought, and she got knocked out.

“So…I lost?” She frowned at that thought, then shook it off and sat up again. “Well, like Pa always says: ‘A bend in the road ain't the end of the road!’ Whatever happened, that clue’s gotta still be there: just gotta head back and grab it!”

But as she got up, a jolt of pain shot through her bandaged front leg.

“Yow!” She winced, opting to sit as she examined it alongside more wrappings around her side. “Who put these on, anyway?”

She briefly considered walking off to find them, then looked back to her leg.

“It’d be rude to leave without thankin’ the host, and it's dark out.” She laid down and pulled the blanket over. “Yeah, just gonna wait a bit for ‘em…”
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A pleasant smell woke her many hours later.

“Is that - pancakes?!”

She smiled and sat up to look for them, and immediately recoiled from a familiar face with an overly wide smile.

“🌀🌟🌟🌸 💋🌠🧺🌺🍩✨🌟🌟✨! 💛 👀💋🌸🌺 🧺💕🌺👀 🌠🌟🍩 ❌🌟⭐!
💋🍩🌺 ❌🌟⭐ 🌠🌺🌺🐂💛✨🌀 🍎🌺🧺🧺🌺🍩?”

“Good afternoon! I made them for you! Are you feeling better?”

“You?!”

Arizona scuttled back from a sitting position and fell off the bed with a thump, almost tearing the tent with her horns. Paprika picked her up in an instant.

“🌟💕 ✨🌟, 💋🍩🌺 ❌🌟⭐ 🌟☁️💋❌?!”

“Oh no, are you okay?!”

“Let me go ya varmint, or I’ll beat ya a second time!”

To Arizona’s surprise, the alpaca gasped and set her down, seeming to deflate.

“💫🌟🍩🍩❌, 😊⭐💫🧺 🧺🍩❌💛✨🌀 🧺🌟 💕🌺🐂💞…”

“Sorry, just trying to help…”

Guilt filled Arizona’s heart as she saw her sad face.

“I - that was mean of me, I’m sorry. I just - it was a tad sudden. Can you forgive me?”

The alpaca’s grin returned in an instant with another hug lifting her from the bed.

“🌟f c🌟⭐r💫🌺!”

“Of course!”

Wondering if she’d made a mistake as she felt something sensitive throb under the bandages, Arizona tried to find something to say.

“Uh, so this is your tent?”

Annoyingly, Paprika didn’t set her down to answer: holding her like she was weightless.

“💛t 💛s! 🌸🌟 ❌🌟⭐ 🐂💛k🌺 💛t?”

“It is! Do you like it?”

“Sorry, I’m havin’ a bit of trouble understandin’ you. Paprika, right?”

Paprika nodded, closing her eyes to focus and speaking slowly.

“❌🌺s, 💛 💋M 💞a💞rika. D🌟 ❌🌟u l💛k🌺 m❌ h🌟m🌺?

“Yes, I am Paprika. Do you like my home?”

Arizona blinked as she worked out the words.

“Yeah, it’s nice.”

“T💕💋✨☁️s!” Paprika exclaimed before setting her down on the blanket. “💋r🌺 ❌🌟⭐ h⭐✨🌀🍩❌?”

“Thanks!” Paprika exclaimed before setting her down on the blanket. “Are you hungry?”

Arizona blinked a few more times, not quite processing the words. In response Paprika grabbed the plate of pancakes and a small pot of water and set them on the bed, then tapped her guest’s muzzle and the plate in turn, getting a cross-eyes reaction.

“Oh yeah, I’m starvin’! Are ya sure?”

Paprika nudged the plate towards the cow with her nose. “🌺at.”

Paprika nudged the plate towards the cow with her nose. “Eat.”

In other circumstances eating in front of the staring, smiling alpaca would have been unnerving, but Arizona was too hungry to care.

“Delicious! Thank you!”

“🌀l💋d ❌🌟u 🐂💛k🌺 i🧺!”

“Glad you like it!”

Once she finished, Arizona carefully stood up.

“Well thanks for the hospitality. Any way I can repay you? I’ve got some salt…I think.”

“😊⭐s🧺 h💋💥💛n🌀 💋 🌀u🌺s🧺 💛s 🌺n🌟⭐🌀h.”

“Just having a guest is enough.”

“Didn't quite get that.” Arizona picked up her bag by the bed. “What was it Adobo said, ‘All debts must be repaid?’”

With her eyes searching the bag, Arizona missed Paprika's frown at the name.

“Okay, maybe she'll like…WAIT!”

“⚡💕💋🧺?”

“What?”

Paprika zoomed over.

“Those fancy orb things are missin’. Did you take ‘em?” Arizona narrowed her eyes as Paprika shook her head rapidly.

“No, yeah, I believe you.” Arizona tapped her chin. “Why would ya take my stuff and then take me in? It musta been that darn unicorn!”

Paprika gasped, and she grabbed a small book and shook it with an odd growling noise.

“Yeah! That one, dark and rude with a floatin’ book. You saw her?”
Paprika nodded.

“💫h🌺 💫🌺🌺m🌺🌸 🍎a🌸, 💛 🌸💛🌸n’🧺 🌀e🧺 ❗️l🌟s🌺.”

“She seemed bad, I didn’t get close.”

“So she robbed me.” Arizona puffed out her cheeks.”But why that?”

“💛 🌸💛🌸n’🧺 ☁️✨o⚡.” Paprika shrugged. “⚡o⭐ld ❌🌟u l💛k🌺 the👀 b💋c☁️?”

“I don’t know.” Paprika shrugged. “Would you like them back?”

“Would I like them - I mean, yeah, but I've got more important stuff to do. I'm Champ'een of the Prairie!”

She struck a proud pose and Paprika stamped on her hind legs in excitement, before settling down and asking.

“W💕a🧺’s 🧺💕a🧺?”

“What’s that?”

“Uh,” Arizona paused, “‘means I'm gonna find the Prophet's Key and save the world. And my clue's gotta be in that big room in that big temple thing.”

Paprika gasped and set her forehooves on Arizona’s shoulders, leaning in as the cow leaned back.

“🧺h🌺 🧺🌺mpl🌺?! 🧺ha🧺’s d💋n🌀🌺🍩ou💫! ❌ou n🌺🌺d 🧺o 🍩🌺s🧺 🌠💛rs🧺!”

“The temple?! That’s dangerous! You need to rest first!”

Arizona brushed her legs off and tried to step by her, but the larger alpaca wouldn't budge. “Look, I appreciate the help, but people are countin’ on me. I need to get goin’.”

Paprika held up a hoof, closed her eyes to focus, and then started to speak slowly.

“Too…dangerous. Shadows…coming…back.”

“Predators, ah reckon?” Arizona snorted, “Ah've dealt with ‘em before. Don't you worry.”

Paprika took a deep breath and closed her eyes again before saying “You…hurt. Need…rest.”

“Ah'm fine!” Arizona stomped with her good hoof, shaking the tent. “Ah can handle myself, and I'll prove it again if ya make me.”

With that she tried to force her way past, but was met by Paprika pushing back against her horns.

Both sides dug their hooves in for a battle of strength until Arizona ended it with another stomp: causing Paprika to lose her grip as the shockwave knocked her off her feet.

Seizing the opening, Arizona dashed forward with a headbutt, sending the alpaca flying out of the tent before running out after her.

“No hard feelings, but I've gotta run.” Arizona started to walk past her. “Told ya I was - wha?”

She heard an odd growl from Paprika, and turned to see her stalking up to her, low to the ground with an angry look that Arizona didn't think she was capable of.

“Y🌟u n🌺🌺d r🌺s🧺!”

“You need rest!”

With that Paprika lunged at her with a grab, and Arizona’s attempt to shove her away failed with another jolt of leg pain slowing her down.

“Let go!” Arizona flailed, scoring a jab on Paprika's cheek as the grab tightened.

“I'm not gonna let ya -”

The grab tightened again, and the throbbing in her side returned as she tried her best to pull the arms off.

“Not gonna - “

Her eyes bulged as it tightened beyond what she assumed was the limit and her ribs burned.

“Can't…give…”

The breath was knocked out of her lungs by a fourth squeeze, though it quickly relented as Paprika mercifully loosened it to a gentler hug, rocking her back and forth as she slowly regained her breath.

“...Okay, ya made yer point. Still hurt. I can stay a bit, temple's not goin’ anywhere.”

“We’🐂🐂 🌀o 🧺o🌀e🧺her 🐂a🧺er, h🌟w d🌟🌺s 🧺ha🧺 💫ou✨d?”

“We’ll go together later, how does that sound?”

Paprika smiled down at her, carrying her back to the tent in what felt like an eyeblink.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After insisting on checking Arizona’s ribs with some incomprehensible chirps and prodding, Paprika left the tent with a picnic basket. Arizona could hear her humming to herself as she laid on the bed.

Hate to admit it, but she has a point. If I couldn’t get past her, I probably shouldn’t be tusselin’ with predators. Guess that’s why she tried to stop me the first time. She said something about ‘go later,’ so maybe I’ll just rest a day.

But medical advice aside, Arizona was in no mood to nap after sleeping most of the day.

So after calming down physically and emotionally, she stretched and walked out of the tent, getting an immediate warning growl from Paprika.

“Relax, I’m not runnin’.” Arizona held up a hoof. “Ah know you were just tryin’ to keep me safe, and ah promise I won’t go fightin’ till I heal up. Mind if I sit with ya?”

Paprika’s usual smile returned as she patted the log.

“T💋☁️e 💋 se💋t.”

“Take a seat.”

A covered pan sat on the fire with ashes on top of it: a familiar sight for Arizona from countless campfire meals.

“Guess that’s your lunch. Ah can just eat grass tonight, don’t want to be a burden if you insist on me stayin’”

Paprika blew a raspberry. “Y🌟u’r🌺 n🌟t 🌺a🧺ing 🧺ra💫💫 💛n 👀y ca👀p.”

Paprika blew a raspberry. “You’re not eating grass in my camp.”

“Ah’ll take that as a no.” Arizona chuckled.

A moment of silence passed between them as Paprika watched the pan before Arizona spoke up.

“Uh, sorry for hittin’ you.”

“Y🌟u’r🌺 🌟kay.” Paprika stretched her neck to give Arizona a light nudge. “Fi🌀htin🌀 is 🌠un!”

"You're okay." Paprika stretched her neck to give Arizona a light nudge. "Fighting is fun!"

“Guess it is.” She smiled. “Reminds me of sparrin’ with my Pa. He taught me everything ah know: got me feelin’ a bit homesick.”

“H🌺 💫oud💫 n💛c🌺.”

“He sounds nice.”

“You betcha.” Arizona nodded. “You'd like him, always has a smile and a good joke.”

“🌟🌟🌟, I l🌟ve j🌟ke💫!!” Paprika got up and started bouncing on her hooves. “T🌺ll m🌺 on🌺!”

“Ooo, I love jokes!!” Paprika got up and started bouncing on her hooves. “Tell me one!”

“Okay, okay,” Arizona waved a hoof they both leaned in, “What d'ya call a rabbit stalked by plants? A cotton-tailed!”

Arizona chuckled at her own joke as Paprika laughed with her neck at an odd angle.

“Ah here's another one: why don't you use a rock for a pillow? ‘Cause it's too hard!”

Paprika held her chest laughing as it spread to Arizona.

“Okay, one more,” Arizona held up a hoof to catch herself, “What do ‘ya call a wagon that lost its way? Gone!”

Paprika rolled on the floor as Arizona laughed with her.

“Heh, nice to see someone who likes his jokes as much ah do.”

Ma just groans when I tell ‘em.

Paprika stood up suddenly, as if responding to a sound only she could hear, and fished the pan out of the fire with a pair of mitts that seemed to appear as soon as she turned around.

She opened the lid to reveal a lovely smell and perfectly baked cinnamon rolls: then she poured some icing over them from a cup that’d been sitting by the fire.

“Lun❗️h t💛m🌺!”

“Lunch time!”

Paprika insisted on Arizona eating the first one, shoving it in her face as the cow’s surprise turned to a smile.

“That’s the best I’ve had!” Arizona lit up as she chewed. “Where’d ya learn to bake like that?”

“🍎ought a coo☁️🍎oo☁️ an🌸 tin☁️ered wit💕 t💕e 🍩ecipe.”

“Bought a cookbook and tinkered with the recipe.”

“Mighty impressive, then.” Arizona said, reaching for another.

Paprika seemed to calm down as they ate together, and her words were easier to understand.

“So what’s it like back at your home?”

“Well,” Arizona swallowed, “tha Prairie’s dry and hot and rocky, and we pull our stuff on these big covered wagons. Have to move whenever the grass runs out.”

“Sounds like here, but with fewer floods, and earthquakes, and lava, and cliffs, but with more sun, and wagons!”

“Guess so, but we do get the occasional tornado.” Arizona scratched her neck. “Ya don’t get a lot of sun here, do you?”

“Nope.” Paprika said. “I’d like to see the Prairie someday.”

“Well if ya ever visit, head to the west continent and keep goin’ till it gets dusty, and tell ‘em Arizona sent you.” Arizona took another bite. “Can’t tell ya where everyone’ll be though, movin’ around and all, but look for Texas’ herd: that’s my dad. Or my brother Colorado’s, haven’t seen him in awhile.”

“Oo, oo, maybe we can go together!” Paprika perked up and stretched her neck to the cow. “Pretty please?”

“I’d love to, but I gotta find the key.” Arizona answered.

“What key?” Paprika asked.

“Wha - the Prophet’s Key, y’know, from the Council of Ungulates?” Arizona saw no recognition on Paprika’s face. “The other alpacas knew about it.”

“I…haven’t talked to other alpacas in awhile.” Paprika frowned.

“Oh.” Arizona’s ears fell, remembering their talk about the ‘monster’. “They seemed kinda scared of you, but ah can’t see why. You seem nice enough.”

“I had some…accidents.” Paprika looked down. “Some people almost got hurt. I keep trying to make it up to them, but they call me a monster.”

Surprising the alpaca for once, she pulled Paprika into a hug.

“Hogwash! Ah don’t know what happened, but you’re a good friend.”

Paprika returned the hug a little too tightly, but nothing compared to what she knew she was capable of.

“Thank you! You’re a sweet cow.”

Arizona decided to keep hugging until Paprika broke it off, but as minutes passed by listening to each other’s breathing, she started to wonder if she’d ever let go.

Eventually Paprika broke the silence, but she did not stop hugging.

“Why do you need the key?”

“It can lock the predators up.” Arizona said, feeling a bit awkward about conversation from that position. “‘Least, that’s what the stories say. So I gotta find it to keep ‘em away.”

“They’re mean, they try to hurt my friends.” Paprika pouted. “I’d also like to make them stay away. Can I help?”

“Uh…” Arizona thought back to Velvet and Oleander challenging her.

Are we supposed to be fighting? Don’t we all want the same thing? Maybe there’s somethin’ in the Council’s rules I missed.

“You’re not a champion or anything, are ya?” Arizona tried to pull away, but gave it up when Paprika refused to budge.

“I’m the champion weaver and baker! But that last one isn’t official.” Paprika said.

“Guess there’s no reason we can’t work together, then.” Arizona replied. “But it’s dangerous out there, and ah’m not stoppin’ till I get the key. Are ya sure?”

Paprika blew another raspberry behind her back.

“If I can make it here, I can make it anywhere. It’ll be fun! Camping trip with my friend.”

Arizona smiled at that and pulled her closer. “Fine by me, then. You can handle yerself in a fight, for sure.”



“So, can we go now?” Arizona asked.

“Tomorrow morning, you need rest.” Paprika replied.

“Who made you leader?” Arizona tried to pull away, and Paprika finally let go with a briefly serious expression.

“You need rest, and I don’t let my friends get hurt.” Her smile returned. “We can play a game though!”

“Guess I don’t have anything better to do.”
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For someone living on her own, Paprika packed a surprising variety of games.

They started with Checkers, where Paprika won most of the time.

Then they set up a tetherball game on an old dead tree, which was going well until the ball ended up impaled on Arizona’s horn. She tried to apologize, but Paprika seemed to think it was hilarious watching her try to dislodge it.

Wanting something more practical, Arizona suggested a game of tug of war: which lasted until Paprika’s mouth got tired and let go of the rope, sending Arizona tumbling from the force of her pull and getting another laugh and checkup from Paprika.

Then Arizona decided to get more practice in by showing off rope tricks, jumping so the lasso passed around her as she sent it left and right with Paprika’s gasps and applause.

She kicked a twig into the air to show off lassoing it out of the sky, but let it fall uncaught as she spotted something.

“Predators!” She pointed at a flock of three phantasmal birds, which seemed to speed into a swoop in response to her words.

She glanced back to check on Paprika, but she was gone!

After a double take, she found the alpaca: somehow, against all logic and reason, Paprika was in the sky above the birds, falling with a squeal that sounded happy instead of fearful.

Arizona’s jaw dropped, and the birds seemed just as confused as she was.

Paprika’s unfortunate target tried to slow down, but it was caught under her as they both plummeted. Only a smiling alpaca and a cloud of black mist remained when they landed.

The remaining two turned to attack, but one vanished backwards with a frightened squawk.

“COME ‘ERE!”

Arizona’s lasso slammed it into the ground, and before it could stop bouncing she was on top of it with an elbow drop.

The last bird turned and fled, squawking loudly and flapping as hard as it could.

“She’s gettin’ away!” Arizona ran after it, but slowed as she saw a potted plant sail over her head. The pot found its mark dead center between the wings and the predator went into a tailspin, crashing into the mountainside as a dark cloud.

“How…” Arizona turned around. “How did ya do that?”

“Do what?” Paprika tilted her head.

“You, like, appeared up there in a second.” Arizona gestured vaguely to the sky. “Are you magical or somethin’?”

“I just jumped.” Paprika shrugged as if that were a completely normal answer. “I think your rope tricks are waay more magical!”

“Uh huh.” Arizona blinked. “Well, thanks for the compliment. How d’ya throw a pot like that though?”

“Oo, that’s one of my favorite games! Throw the something in the basket!” She stepped excitedly in place. “How about we play that next?”

“Um, sure, why not.” Arizona said, wondering how she was so unphased by the attack and questioning everything she knew about gravity.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The game went about as well as Arizona expected, with Paprika landing even the most absurd shots while Arizona struggled to land anything within a few feet of the basket. But that didn’t stop Paprika from cheering her on until she deemed it was time to cook dinner.

“You’ll get the hang of it.” Paprika patted her back. “I lost a lot of flowers over the cliff at first.”

That sounds…dangerous.

Arizona thought as Paprika continued.

“You’ve got to show me how to do those lasso tricks though! They were awesome!”

“Sure, I’d be happy to.” Arizona yawned. “Anyway, I’m happy with grass if you don’t wanna -”

“You’re not eating grass as my guest!” Paprika sounded oddly serious. “But if you want to help, we could use more firewood.”

Paprika decided on an apple pie that night, and they’d both worked up an appetite for it.

With plans to leave for the temple at dawn, Arizona opted to turn in early.

“You should have yer bed tonight, ah’m fine sleepin’ on the ground.”

“No,” Paprika shook her head, “you need the rest more, so you sleep on it.”

She pulled the blanket off her back and passed it to her.

“Besides, I’m standing watch tonight. Predators like it more at night.”

“You’re,” Arizona blinked, “okay, a watch is a good idea. You can at least wake me for a shift, though.”

“Nonsense!” Paprika pushed the cow backwards into the tent, not meeting any real resistance.

“Besides, with how long you slept in this morning you must really need it more.”

Arizona puffed her cheeks at that, but couldn’t think of a retort.

“Good night, little cow!” Paprika sent her staggering back with a kiss on the forehead.

“Ah’m not -” Arizona took a breath. “...Good Night.”

Arizona was tired, but she couldn’t help but worry as she laid on the bed.

Doesn’t feel right to just sleep while she’s out there stayin’ up.

…Did she stay up for me last night? How was she so bright-eyed then?

Should I stay awake just in case she needs help?

…Nah, she can handle herself.

Still, if she wasn’t so darn stubborn I’d swap places with her.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Arizona woke up to an insistent prodding as her eyes flickered open.

“Get up, sleepy head! It’s breakfast time!” Paprika chirped.

“I’m up, I’m up.” Arizona sat up with a yawn, rubbing her eyes.

She immediately noticed two things: there wasn’t a tent or anything else around her bed, and the sun’s first light could only barely be seen through the clouds.

“Gettin’ an early start, ah see. Well no use burning daylight.”

Arizona sleepily walked over to a rock where Paprika had set her breakfast: roast Broccoli and buttered biscuits. She briefly wondered who was selling that all the way up here as she ate, but when she finished she was distracted by a more immediate concern.

“You sure you’re okay carryin’ that?”

Paprika had loaded herself up with a pile of bags at least as tall as she was, though thinking of what she saw in the tent, Arizona was impressed she could compress it that much.

“I always travel like this, it’s no biggie.” Paprika waved it off.

“Ah can carry some of it if ya want.” Arizona offered, taking a step to her.

“No, I’m fine. Besides, you’ve got your own stuff.”

Arizona glanced at her reasonably sized saddlebags, but decided not to argue as she strapped them on.

“Suit yerself. Just feel free to share some of the load with me.”

“I’ll be fine.” Paprika chirped, somehow bouncing on her feet despite the weight. “But before we go, I’ve got to check something.”

Arizona took a half step back with a hoof in the air as she rushed forward, but stood still when she realized Paprika was prodding her ribs.

“How’s it feel?” Paprika craned her head back to see face to face.

“Fine.” Arizona smiled.

“Okay, now stomp!” Paprika scurried back. “If your hoof’s okay, we’re good to go!”

Arizona took a moment to stretch before rearing up for a heavy stomp: not holding anything back for the test.

BOOM!

Cracks formed in the ground as rocks rattled and Paprika caught herself from falling, despite the distance.

The hoof felt a bit stiff, but the pain was gone.

“All good!”
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

They made good time through the fog with Paprika leading Arizona through the easiest routes, and reached the temple in time to see the sun crest over the horizon: or at least, the slightly less gray patch in the sky where they knew the sun was.

But as they approached, they stopped at the cliff by the bridge where they’d first met, and saw another winged predator perched on a broken pillar: much larger than the ones they’d banished earlier.

Give us the key, and you may yet live to see another day.

Both ungulates unstrapped their bags to fight.

“Mighty brave words while you’re outnumbered.” Arizona taunted.

The eagle gave an echoing cry in response, and two more birds swooped in from the back as a cougar prowled out of the temple’s entrance.

Fools. We will take what we please.

Paprika made an odd buzzing noise as she contorted her neck, seemingly psyching herself up.

“I’ll get the big one.” She sounded dangerously energetic.

“How ‘bout the little ones first. Something in the bird.” Arizona rolled a rock under a hoof with a determined glare.

Paprika nodded, and Arizona started the fight with an earthshaking stomp as Paprika jumped: seemingly wasting time and not hindering the predators as the cougar rushed in from the bridge as the hawks swooped in from behind.

But her stomp sent loose stones flying high into the air: Paprika headbutt one as it fell, nailing one of the hawks in the head. As it spiraled down the chasm she caught a second rock on her head, flipped it up, then sent it flying at the eagle which had decided to join the fray.

The eagle spun back at the impact to a wing and an angry shriek, but quickly recovered to dive again.

Paprika ducked under the third bird as it tried to swoop down at her and sprung into the air with a spinning leap: catching it with her back and twisting to flatten it into mist with a bellyflop on her way down.

Meanwhile Arizona threw a lasso to catch the cougar’s charge proactively, tightening around a clawed paw as it pounced and yoinking the rope to the right.

Thrown completely off course, the cougar desperately clawed at the bridge as its back legs went over, hanging on but struggling to pull itself up.

But the eagle’s second dive was too close for Arizona to worry about that: she let go of the rope to parry the eagle’s outreached talons with a strike from her horns.

It let out another screech of pain, then changed tactics to a flurry of close range pecks as the cow retreated.

They were fast and precise: Arizona struggled to do anything but dodge and parry them with her increasingly limited room to maneuver as she approached a wall.

She was just about to risk losing an eye trying a rising horn attack when a pair of yellow-furred legs locked into place under its wings.

NO!

The eagle tried to fly away, lifting Paprika off the ground, but a jumping double kick from Arizona to its chest stunned it, and it vanished with a squeeze from Paprika, revealing a wide-eyed smile.

Noone hurts my friends.”

“Pap, look out!” Arizona exclaimed, trying to shove her way past her as a second cougar ran across the bridge: only to see it slip on a rolling cinnamon roll and go tumbling off the side.

The last predator broke into a run for the temple, but Arizona caught the end of the rope in her teeth and swung the cougar in an arc over her through the air, pushing down on the rope with a hoof to ensure a harder and faster landing.

It dispersed at the impact, and they were alone together again: strapping their gear back on with heavy breathing.

“That was fun!” Paprika bounced in excitement.

“Heh, reckon it was.” Arizona smiled.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Temple of the Ancestors seemed abandoned as they entered it, with Paprika carrying a lantern from her mountainous supplies to light their way.

“Ah reckon that was all of ‘em.” Arizona kept glancing left and right. “But ah don’t wanna take any chances. Follow me, I know the way.”

“Mmm hmm!” Paprika trotted happily after her, occasionally turning her neck to look behind them.

But despite their worries, they reached the Monolith undisturbed.

“This is where ah fought that unicorn, and that…varmint.” Arizona scowled. “Reckon they’re long gone by now.”

“Looks like it.” Paprika set the lantern down. “So what are we looking for again?”

“Adobo said the Prophet’s story is written all over the ancient runes, an’ this looks like writing.”

Arizona peered at it and scowled.

“But I can't make heads or tails outta any 'a this mess!” She stomped in frustration.

“Hmm…” Paprika set her supplies down and started fishing for something.

“Did you get the clue?” Arizona perked up.

“Nope.” Paprika’s head emerged from her bag with a book and went back in for something else, speaking from inside it.

“Whatever this is, I can't read it, but maybe someone else can!”

“So…” Arizona rubbed her chin. “We’ve gotta haul the whole thing with us? Ah don’t think ah can -”

“No, silly!” Paprika giggled. “I’m going to copy it!”

She started arranging the sketchbook, jars of ink, and quills in front of the statue.

“I’ll write everything down and draw the pictures and whatever, and you just watch the door! Easy peasy.”

Paprika smiled at her, before intently staring at the statue and starting her work.

“Readin' seems handy here for sure.” Arizona said. “But ah don’t need it.”

Paprika laughed and turned back to her. “Oh, you’ve got the best jokes.”

She gasped at Arizona’s confused expression. “Wait, do you not know how to read?”

“Uh.” Arizona paused. “Why would I need to?.”

Paprika giggled again. “Oh, you silly little cow.”
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The hall was oddly quiet with Paprika focused on the monument holding a quill in her mouth, apart from her constant humming as she focused on making her copy as accurate as possible.

Arizona stood watch, but if any predators remained in the temple they were wise enough to avoid them.

After what felt like a couple of hours they were on their way to one last stop: Adobo’s camp.

Paprika insisted that it was the safest path down the mountain, and Arizona didn’t want to deny her a chance to say goodbye.

Gasps filled the air and necks vanished into tents as they approached.

“It’s the monster!”

“And the cow, she survived?”

“Why’s she back in camp?”

Underneath Paprika’s smile and jittery movement, Arizona could tell she was nervous: her speech had gotten less coherent as the approached.

“Hey everyone!” Arizona shouted in the middle of the camp. “Ah’ve got somethin’ ta say.”

Alpacas slowly left their tents to watch as Adobo walked up to them.

“Speak your mind, young ones.”

“Okay,” Arizona started angrily, “what’s with callin’ Paprika a monster? She’s been nothin’ but kind to me, though ah didn’t realize it at first. Y’all should be grateful to have her in yer tribe.”

Paprika almost seemed to hide behind Arizona as Adobo spoke.

“She is kind, but also reckless. And this land, she does not forgive mistakes.”

“But you should.” Arizona stared. “That’s what kinfolk do.”

“You have not seen what has almost happened due to her.” Adobo said. “Do you intend to travel with her?”

“Yes.” Arizona stamped a hoof.

“Do you trust her?” Adobo asked.

“Absolutely!” Arizona asserted.

“Hmm.” Adobo paused. “Your path is a dangerous one, more so than you currently realize. But perhaps, you are safer together.”

“Paprika.” He turned to her. “It seems I have been too hard on you. Too weak to show mercy. In earning this traveler’s trust, you have proven yourself reliable. As the leader of this tribe, I invite you back and ask for your pardon.”

Paprika gasped and ran up to hug him, which he returned with only a hint of surprise and a brief, formal hug back.

“Oh thank you, thank you!” Paprika bounced in front of the murmuring alpacas. “But, I want to go with Arizona!”

The cow’s eyes widened slightly.

“I finally feel like I’m where I belong, doing what I’m meant to do! I want to see the world, and feel the sun, and stop the predators, and ride on a wagon! But I promise I’ll write!”

Murmurs of “That’s great.” and “Uh, keep in touch.” were drowned out by Arizona’s words.

“And ah’ll be glad to ya with me.” She hugged her.

The hug was cut short, by Paprika standards, by Adobo clearing is throat.

“If this is the path you choose, Paprika, then by my authority as leader I pronounce you Champion of the High Plains.”

Paprika and Arizona gasped and exchanged glances before the cow spoke first.

“Does that mean we have to fight?”

“No.” Adobo shook his head. “They say only one can hold the honor of Key Bearer, but it would be foolish to not work together. Solitude is a poor survival strategy.”

“For most Alpacas, anyway.” He muttered under his breath.

Paprika blinked at his words, but shoved her head in one of the bags on her back to retrieve the sketchbook.

“Can you read this?”

“No.” Adobo handed it back after a glance. “There are none here who still can. You will need a scholar to decipher it: I suggest the museum in Reine City, given their fascination with the ancestors. You have a long way to go before you reach the harbor, so rest, then be on your way.”

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Arizona quickly lost track of Paprika in the camp as she zipped around to see every alpaca there: getting reactions ranging from an awkward welcome to outright fear before they left.

The trek down the mountain was far easier than Arizona had remembered going up as Paprika led her to the safest and easiest slopes.

Several birds spotted them, but Paprika practically flew up and down the mountain to fend them off. Arizona left that lopsided fight to her, since scaling the mountain that quickly would be more dangerous than the predators themselves.

The RSS Donner/Prancer was still loading by the time they’d arrived: it appeared like they’d just started after gathering sufficient cargo.

Arizona noticed several Huacayan pots before their crate lid was secured, and the sailor looked up at them.

“Ah, you’re back. This might still take a day, but you’re free to board. I see you made a friend, but unless she has a ticket you’ll have to talk to the captain.”

“Then where is he?” Arizona asked.

“I’ll get him.” The sailor sighed, walking into the ship: shortly after, another reindeer with a fancier hat emerged.

“I am told that you would like to bring an extra passenger.” The captain said. “Our ship is at capacity, but I could stretch things for twice the usual price. Is it a deal?”

“Look, mister,” Arizona started, “we’re on an important mission to save Foenum, and we’ve got a hot clue on the Prophet’s Key. So can we cut the haggling?”

“The Key, you say.” The captain stroked his floof. “Might you have evidence of this?”

“Here.” Paprika passed him the sketchbook, bookmarked to the section.

After opening it the captain’s eyes widened, thinking about Stronghoof’s bounty on any information leading to the discovery of the Key.

“Very well.” He handed it back. “But you must agree to let us copy your notes upon landing in Reine. Are those terms acceptable?”

Paprika and Arizona glanced at each other.

“Deal!”

“Deal.”
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Arizona and Paprika crammed into the same one-person room, opting to rest after a long day of travel.

Arizona insisted on Paprika taking the bed.

“Long day, eh?” Arizona stretched on the floor, using one of Paprika’s bags as a pillow. “It’ll be nice to rest here: too crammed to play much though.”

“Oh, we might be too busy for that anyway.” Paprika sat down in front of her.

“Huh?” Arizona sat up. “Busy doin’ what?”

“Teaching you to read.” Paprika opened a book with a groan from Arizona.

“Now this letter means ‘A’.”

Comments ( 4 )

Does this mean there’s going to be a squeal to this story, with Them’s Fightin’ Herds OCs in it?

11904078

I have ideas on sequels following other playable characters, and eventually Arizona and Paprika again, but no concrete outlines on that yet.

Some time I may add one or two OCs in, since I think there'd be more champions than what we got in game, but developing the actual cast is a much bigger priority.

They were adorable together. Love how they slowly got along together. We may not get an official continuation of the story, but the fans will continue it for sure.

11904813

Thanks!

That's a lot of my motivation for writing: if we're not getting any more official story, then continuing it falls to the fans.

Login or register to comment