• Published 13th Mar 2024
  • 579 Views, 42 Comments

I love you, Izzy Moonbow - Hoofprintz



A guy living a terribly boring life is saved when Izzy shows up in his home to be friends.

  • ...
1
 42
 579

2. Friends

"So that's what would've happened if I went to Maretime Bay!" Izzy was positively glowing, excitedly standing on her hooves next to me. We'd just finished watching My Little Pony: A New Generation, the two of us on the couch in my living room.

At first sight, she'd been completely enamored by Sunny's adventure. When she first saw herself on screen she smiled so brightly I'd have sworn she'd never been happier. She'd remained quiet the entire movie, not saying a word, but going through numerous emotions throughout.

"If?" I shut down my console and television, turning my full attention to her. "You never went to Maretime?" I waved a hand at her a bit so she'd sit down. I wasn't sure how sturdy animated ponies really were, and I definitely didn't want to find out anytime soon.

"Well, I was planning on it," she sat on her rump. "In fact, I was gonna go today, but..." She looked dejected all of a sudden, her smile no longer genuine like it had been moments ago.

"What happened?" Her change in demeanor made me want to hug her, but this wasn't some fantasy, this was the real Izzy Moonbow sitting in front of me. I had to treat her with respect and kindness, just like I'd treat anyone else.

"I... I actually had a dream last night," her head lowered, her gaze falling to the couch beneath her, yet her smile remained. I didn't say a word, giving her ample time to continue when she was ready. "I saw you," she lifted her head, her sweet smile becoming genuine again.

"M-ME!?" I could hardly believe it, but I knew there was no reason to doubt her.

"You looked so sad," she confirmed with a slight bob of her head. "I didn't know who you were," she giggled. "I didn't even know what you were, but I could see how much you needed a friend."

I chuckled dryly, covering my face with my hands and leaning back against the cushions. She wasn't wrong. My life had gone downhill after highschool. Not in the sense of success. I had a well paying job. I had a home. I had good food. I even had spending money and a bunch of hobbies.

What I lacked, what I didn't have at all, what I hadn't had for far too long, was anyone to share those things with. I'd had friends in highschool, even had a steady girlfriend, but everything changed after graduation. Everyone went their separate ways.

That tends to happen when people graduate and start actually making something of themselves. I'd been way too busy studying to make any new friends. My efforts got me everything I'd wanted as far as a profession, but only in that area.

Life after education was a repetitive experience. Wake up, go to work, come home, sleep. On the weekend, I mostly stayed home. I watched movies, played video games, read books. Y'know, normal stuff.

It was living.

Barely.

"I had to come help you," she whispered. I removed my hands from my face, looking at her in disbelief. "I could tell... you needed somepony... you needed a friend as much as I did. When I woke up... I was here."

I could do little more than stare at the mare.

"Izzy... you left home and came to this world... just to be my friend?" I couldn't believe it, but I had to. She was sitting right in front of me, after all.

"Not just for you," she looked down, her smile faltering for the first time. "I needed a friend too. I'm kind of weird... and maybe a little too chipper sometimes, but... we can do lots of stuff together. I know how to make a lot of fun things and-"

She stopped talking as soon as I laid my hand atop her head.

"What about the others?" I asked. "Your friends back in Equestria, I mean?" She didn't make an attempt to move.

"Sunny and Hitch have each other," she declared confidently. "And Zipp and Pipp are sisters," she looked at me, my hand still on her mane. "If I go back I'm sure I'll make lots of friends... but you..."

I couldn't help but smile at her efforts, in spite of the fact that I knew her knowledge of her friends was completely based on the film we'd just watched. "So you want to stay?"

"I do... If you'll let me?" She looked so worried, so full of hope. I wanted to hug her so much, but I had to remember that she was her own person... err, pony, and not just some character I liked from a cartoon.

I crossed my arms and closed my eyes, contemplating the ramifications of an animated pony living with me.

Do I even have the means?

"You'll need food," I thought out loud.

"I don't eat much," she replied instantly.

"What about your magic," I pinched the bridge of my nose.

She'll never get it back if she stays here.

"You won't-"

"I know," she interrupted. "But... maybe there's another way."

...

"And even if there's not..." she giggled. "It's not like I ever had it before."

...

"They'll miss you." I was basically searching for reasons for her to leave. "Sunny, Hitch, Pipp, and Zipp, I mean."

"Hmmm..." she was thinking deeply before she gasped loudly. "Unleeeess there are infinite Izzy's and I'm meant to be here! Maybe the movie is another universe!"

I chuckled.

I'm not about to discuss the infinite existence theory with Izzy Moonbow from My Little Pony am I?

...

"What about a place to sleep?" I was basically grasping at straws at this point.

"Huh?"

"You'll need a place to sleep," I sighed.

...

"I'm pretty sure your bed is big enough for the both of us," she answered after a moment, causing my eyes to shoot open. "It'd be just... like... a... sleepover?" She gradually noticed my panic. "Or, OR, I could sleep on the couch."

...

I sighed once again, closing my eyes and thinking deeply.

Guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I didn't know what her coming here meant. Didn't know what might happen if I let her stay. Didn't know what troubles lie ahead of us if I did, but...

I want her to stay.

Maybe, over time, she'd eventually get bored with me and want to leave. If that ever became the case... I'd do everything I could to help her get back home.

But... until then...

"I want you to stay, Izzy," I opened my eyes and gently touched one of her forehooves. She looked down at my hand. "Please... be my friend." She looked up at me, her smile growing. "Please stay with me."

She lifted her forelegs wide open.

Does she-

"Hug?" she giggled.

I wrapped my arms around her without hesitating. It was every bit as delightful as I thought it would be as she reciprocated, her forelegs embracing me.

...

Her stomach grumbled.

"Eh heh," she chuckled. "About that food..."