Sci-fi 127 members · 120 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

I'm far from a theoretical physicist, so what I'm saying may just come out as gibberish. In one of my upcoming stories, the protagonist builds a "teleporter" by entangling the atoms of the object being teleported to a bunch of gravitons. Since gravity is not constrained to three-dimensional space, gravitons aren't either, at least in my fictional world. As the gravitons move to a higher plane of existence, the teleporting object also moves between dimensions, following a few yards behind the gravitons. Then when the desired dimension is met, the entanglement breaks, leaving the object's atoms alone in the new dimension.

There's a ton of things wrong with this concept, first off the fact that dimensions and universes are completely different things, how one possibly breaks the bond between entangled particles, ect. ect.

What I want to know from you guys is: In how much detail should I describe my inventions so that I don't drown out normal people while still having actual quantum physics in my story?

Honestly, i would suggest you to have your character start with this explanation, maybe with even more complicated words, and then, as nobody knows wtf hes talking about, conclude with "it teleports stuff". Think of it like this, the less you actually explain your super-tech-stuff, the less likely you will run yourself into plotholes.

Flyerton
Group Admin

It depends on what exactly you want to explain to the audience. It holds well to have an expectation for your audience to have a basic understanding of common science fiction devices. A teleporter is definitely the most concise way of explaining it to an average person. However, it is also important to consider the actual character. If your protagonist is savvy enough, he may skip the scientific explanation to his particular audience, save for the ones that might be very interested. If he's the old scatterbrained, enthusiastic scientist, he might fire off a long explanation of how it works, but in the end drop it back down to laymen's terms. Essentially, it's function, maybe including another example, like how unicorns already have teleportation, and in essence it is the same thing, but using different methods than magic.

You also have to keep in mind, you do not want to overtly spam your readers with technobabble, and story-wise, unless the inner workings of the teleporter are crucial to a later plot point, it may help to give a concise explanation rather than a long one, especially since, using your case as an example, you would require extensive footnotes to explain what "Quantum Entanglement" , "Gravitons" and "Planes of existence" mean, since unless your readerbase is entirely made up of Quantum Physicists, it will not make a single lick of sense to them.

This will be the more comedic type of reaction that is commonly found in novels. He is correct in that the less you explain your high-tech-stuff, the more room you will have to handwave any criticisms. Personally though, I'd prefer if it is rooted in accurate science to the particular world you're constructing.

RedShirt047
Group Admin

[SCREAMS INTERNALLY]

.... just technobabble your way though it

5638508 irk, whatever happened to the good ol' fashioned matter/energy beam? :duck:

RedShirt047
Group Admin

Or at least leave the gravitons out of it. We have a pretty good idea about how gravitons work and it's not like how he describes.

Hell, why have transporters in that universe? If it's written, then there's no need for budget saving measures such as the transporter.

RedShirt047
Group Admin

Not all sci-fi has transporters....

Ok, what you want to do is explain everything. Go into gruelling detail about every single piece of technology and the entirety of its history as well as the processes that were required to make it (i.e. The usage of monkey wrenches throughout human history). It's best if you speak at length for several paragraphs about how much pure energy the flux capacitors need for the machine to bind the gravitons to the gluon membranes of our pineal glands. But most importantly Make sure to explain at every twist and turn of the story how the world you've created works and how it fits the technology you've created.

Don't use technobabble, it'll just annoy your readers.

5638870 I've got very little accurate information that deals with anything Quantum. If you'd like to present a more believable, or even scientifically accurate solution, I'd be very appreciative of it.

Techno babble is the shitty star trek episodes filler.

RedShirt047
Group Admin

Most accurate? Simple, don't. Quantum entanglement is one of the most confusing things I've ever read up on and trying to go ultra-hard sci-fi AND have a transporter is well beyond the limits of any sane author.
The second best solution is to avoid going into detail about the mechanics behind a transporters if you really need a transporter.

Or as Michael Okuda put it when asked about how the Heisenberg Compensator (the part of a Trek transporter that counteracts the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle), "It works very well, thank you."

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14