Sci-fi 127 members · 120 stories
Comments ( 36 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 36

Let's take a step in an equines shoes for a moment. There's no denying that our tech is beautiful, but look at what the ponies have done with magic, I'm not even going to mention an example, because Lauren Faust (back when the show was firmly in her grasp) purportedly told her underlings to mentally write off any tech they used as built by "some unicorn technician". This is fascinating, because we see complex machines in the show, a commonly listed example are the arcade machines that foals were seen using that one time.

In stories, I love it when the author describes magic as being like computer code, because it makes a lot of sense, and also explains why starlight, who somehow associated cutie marks with her loss of friendship, is so good with it (some of the 'smartest' people are often the most oblivious).

But this opens up some possibilities, like parallels between our complex mechanical tech, and their magical tech. It's important to note that both use science as we know it (rigorous testing and sweaty innovation), but one uses transistors and computer programs, while the other uses precise focusing crystals and lines of thaumatic programs etched on crystal plates (or something like that :unsuresweetie:)

What I'm asking isn't that we compare their tech to ours (though that isn't out of the question), or try and find which is better, just that we stop to think about what they can and may have actually done, remember, ponies aren't idiots, they're as creative as we are. Just imagine if alchemy and crystal programming (scrolling?) were legitimate fields :pinkiehappy:

Using projectors to create instant magic circles.

ponies aren't idiots

I dispute that.

5570264 Using magical constructs as satellites and other complex technological devices?

Well, Cheerilee is apparently teaching high level calculus to middle schoolers.

Calculus isn't actually difficult, though. Compared to all the ways in which they act stupid, I'm pretty sure that takes a back row.

Ooh, though that creates other problems, what if someone created a spell to create two magic circles, then automatically cast a spell in each circle? They could work like a DoS attack, clogging up the local magical field.

I can't refute that.

basically, yeah. Like a giant crystal with microscopic engravings that give it virtual eyes, antennae, etc. To us it would just look like a shard of crystal mysteriously floating in space, until we analysed it.

Back in my day, we had no prune juice. So when mathematicians got constipated, they had to work the logs out with a pencil.

Lorenzelevas
Group Admin

5570276 Stupidity manifests in allowing yourself to be taught calculus

Or they could lure you into a room with no flat surfaces to prevent you from using them.

That's the beauty of engraved crystals, they could potentially work outside the sphere. Unless the room was made of iron, then you're fucked.

Too bad that pun doesn't work in German, or I'd totally steal it.

No, what I mean is that without a flat surface to project the circle onto, someone too reliant on the projectors would be helpless.

In nature, there are no flat surfaces - and any kind of angle would distort the circle into an oval. If those require the least bit of precision, that seems like something that defeats itself.

I was going to mention that a magic circle wouldn't necessarily have to be on a solid surface, but I figured an imperfect magic circle would also be plausible.

Considering how much of a big deal most settings make out of the fact that magic whatevers need to be drawn exact, that seems like something that really shouldn't work pretty much by default, though.

Archmage: "Remember, compasses, protractors and straight edges are a mages best friend."

I have a few reproductions of medieval grimoires lying around here somewhere that I bought in a clearance sale once... and those magicians sure take their scribbles seriously, I'll tell you that.

(Disclaimer: No liability for spontaneous possession of computer systems caused by displaying this demonic glyph.)

Sure, but the fact that magic circles work at all is a testament to their apparent flexibility. I'm not denying that near-perfection is key, just that absolute perfection is absurd based on what we see in fiction.

RedShirt047
Group Admin

Except A) That wasn't high level and B) that was a joke in-universe.
Agreed. The worst parts are just tedious.
Now Differential Equations on the other hand....
He forgot about idiot savants.

Genuine 17th century black magic. That thing is historical.

Man I remember when I did a page on this subject matter, it quickly devolved into a mess of arguing about what constitutes magic.

Magitech is something of always found interesting in Scifi and fantasy, in fantasy it gives those in the setting access to complex machines that in our own world were at best only in the conceptual stages or extremely rare for the given time period.

Lorenzelevas
Group Admin

5570837 GDI just builds regular orbital death cannons.

But that's okay because they only use it to create Tiberium detonations which kill millions in the second world: just remember that they're the good guys.

History is so cool.

Necroing the thread.

Magi tech is a concept I'm rather fond of with a scifi-science fantasy setting. There's something about proper magitech that just makes your jaw drop. True magitech is where the line between science and magic is so blurred it becomes hard to tell where one begins and the other ends.

Neo, the line doesn't exist. Science is the study of reality. If magic is real, then why not have a scientific field studying it? The biggest mistake people make is thinking there would be a separation at all.

"Magical thinking is a term [...] denoting the fallacious attribution of causal relationships between [unrelated] actions and events. In anthropology, it denotes the attribution of causality between entities grouped with one another (coincidence) or similar to one another."

Scientific definition of magic. Magic can never be a scientific field because, by definition, it is the misattribution of unrelated events to one another.

Fair enough, I wasn't really using magic's official meaning, just the meaning given to it in the show. They seem to call 'manipulation of a certain force' magic, the problem is the name, why call something magic if it can be studied?:facehoof:

Local linguistic tradition would be a reasonable enough excuse, if you wanted to go that way, the same way chemistry is derived from "alchemy" both in subject and in name. If it can be systematically studied, it's by definition not actually magic, so that's really the only thing they could really be doing.

"Hold on while I just science this spell"
I wish more works would just call it thaumatology (or the like).

If I ever get around to writing my story, I plan to call dedicated spellcrafters "thaumocompositionists."

Call me a hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophiliac, because I just drained my jock:rainbowwild:

TMI, dude. Way TMI.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 36