Sunset Shimmer 4,954 members · 6,857 stories
Comments ( 23 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 23

Well we all thought of using Sunset as a main character as a main character in a story and we want to see it done good. As I'm planning to do so in my current fic, I am trying to think of a way to use her in the story, my idea is still unknown. How would you use her in your own story?

I use her as a sassy character with a lot of remorse and fear from the consequences of her actions in my fic "The Shimmer of Magic". In my tumblr I use her in an alternate timeline in which she has a completely different backstory and never went to the human world; there she is a lot more mature and has a way to see things that can be considered very blunt.

I've read fics in which Sunset was succesfully talked down of her evil path by Celestia and she tries to be a better pony along with Twilight and stuff. In others she becomes a complete submissive after the events of EG.

So however you want to use her, it's your choice as long as it's credible and well written.

Hmm, I've used her a few different ways. In the Evening Sonata, she was the deuteragonist and took on the role of the clear-headed problem solver who wrestled with the lingering pain of her former life whilst trying to help Sonata Dusk come to terms with her new life. In many ways I kept her the way that she was in Rainbow Rocks, except without the hesitancy of not belonging, and eventually developed her character to be more of a leader of the group. A sort of proxy Twilight if you like.

In There Need to be Fewer Monsters in the World, I made her a concealed-interests noir character, a young girl making difficult decisions for possibly hard to understand reasons that are nonetheless somewhat relatable.

In Rainbow Rocks she lacks confidence. There's a lot of "no offence"/"none taken" going on. The mane 6 had forgiven her for the past, but she hadn't really forgiven herself. She was disliked by most of the school, and felt she deserved to be. I think that after the events of the finale, we should see a more confident and assertive Sunset Shimmer, much like the Sunset Shimmer of the first film, only fighting for good instead of evil.

Also, how I would use her in my own story: get her naked a lot. But maybe that's just me.

I'd use her the same way I use any character in any role: have them act as feels right.

I know that's not greatly coherent advice, but it seems to work for me. Just have them behave the way you think they would, based on everything you know of the character. If there's just too many interpretations of the character to be sure, pick whichever suits the story best, or whichever works nicely with the narrative you're going for. If it's just dumb fun, then you can probably do anything at all!

"Feel, don't think, use your instincts." :coolphoto:

4049772 Interesting, I always thought on using her in a way of regret from the whole flipping out and ran into the human world. I see her as a pony who would want to do a clean slate back in Equestria

4049807 Oh yeah I seen her actions in that one

In my story Sunset Eclipsed, I write Sunset Shimmer as a character who wants to prove she's good, even if she has to deal with a few...foibles here and there with her friends and family.

In my story, I don't have her stay at Canterlot High, nor become the seventh Mane character. Instead, she comes back to Equestria to make completely new friends there, going on adventures that rarely have them cross paths with the Mane Six. Sure, some of her friends have their own histories with the Mane Six, but that's about it. I also rely on a lot of villains/supporting characters that are secondary canon characters or OCs. She also actually spends time with her family, who she was separated from for an extended period of time in my story's continuity, and they see just how wonderful their lives all could have been if they had been together longer.

In Sunset Shimmer: Element Bearer, I have her cast as an emerging leader to the Humane Five (and catalyst of redemption for the Sirens), but she still has many loose ends from her own past to tie up.

Also, how I would use her in my own story: get her naked a lot.

*cough*meiswritingthat*cough*

I like a specific aspect of how Chengar writes her in Freeport Venture.
Chengar recognizes her faults. No, I'm not talking about the darkness, or the sass, or the ambition. Those are badass anti-hero traits.
I'm talking about her over-estimation of herself, her misconception of herself being more devious or calculating than she actually is, her quick temper, her tendency to run off half-cocked, etc.
Sunset tends to think of herself as a Xanatos, but she falls far short. If left to her own devices, and discounting her magic, she's actually not that impressive. You can play with this.

I don't write, but if I did, I'd write her as close to the movies as possible, then if the story called for it I'd change her gradually. Hope this helps (even a little bit.)

Typically I write her post Rainbow Rocks as a Sunset who's gotten her life back on track.

This means she's a lot more confidence and rarely has awkward moments. She's recovered a little bit of pride but it rarely shows and she's still knows what's most important: good values and her friends. I also have her be the snarky straight man to a lot of the Mane 6's shenanigans.

Oddly enough, when I wrote her, the dialogue between Sunset and Rainbow proved to have great amounts of banter between them.

In Make My Way Back Home, I'm currently filling in the time between Equestria Girls and Rainbow Rocks. My take on her is that she's generally remorseful for how badly things turned out, and aware that her path to power was not the right one, but is still uncertain what the right path is. Her attitude in Rainbow Rocks, I feel, is reflective of her lack of self-confidence after her defeat. She believes her own instincts are wrong and will get her into trouble, even when her instinct are right. Which explains why she waits so long before saying anything about the Sirens in Rainbow Rocks. She wants to believe that she's noticing something the Mane6 have not, but doesn't believe it's possible so she stays quiet until the evidence is OVERWELMING that the others have not noticed.

Even then, her hesitance is present as she makes no effort to help in the final battle until Twilight herself invokes her, essentially giving her permission to trust herself again and believe that she will make the right decision this time.

I'm tipping my hand a bit on where I'm going with my fic, but I wanted to contribute to this discussion since I'm a big fan of ol' Bacon Hair. :raritywink:

4049758 She's The Doctor's companion. Enough said.

Do you mean you would get her naked frequently, or have her get naked and stay that way for an extended period of time? :coolphoto:

>she wants, vaguely, power

Now, I haven't done this myself, but I'm curious if anyone has ever written her as a more sassy version of Twilight? Because there are a ton of similarities between the two (a unicorn prodigy of Celestia's who didn't know the first thing about friendship, until forced to realize its importance in the midst of an impending crisis). So, I would be interested to see Sunset to be the Ken to Twilight's Ryu, or however you'd would like to spin that.

Ryu = Suffers training all day and so is powerful fighter.
Ken = Lives in mansion, dresses in bling, drives every designer car in the world, enjoys training. Equally powerful fighter. :ajsmug:

Ah, so Twilight is Ken! :pinkiehappy:

In my story, Sunset Shimmer often has to struggle with her past actions before being reformed, and is often forced to endure additional torment by being given numerous situations which remind her of what she was like. While she has been able to overcome a lot of these personal issues, it seems more of them tend to pop up when least expected. She wants to be positive about her life and has embraced her friends, but she keeps getting pulled back into the darkness despite her efforts. Sunset has to deal with not just her problems, but those of Hyrule as well, and wondering what Ganondorf hopes to gain from making her suffer so much. Of course, having to fight a dark version of yourself only adds to the complications.

Personally, I don't really mind what she is. As long as she is a hero and a witty smartass, it's all good in my book

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 23