Brony Horror 1,115 members · 1,391 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

Question and a bit of a challenge: There have been a few MLP stories of Stephen King's stories: It,The Dark Tower, Carrie, Pet Semetary. However, one of the things King is truly famous for is turning small towns into horror shows. Castle Rock and Jerusalem's Lot in particular are two of his most famous creations and the settings of some of his most famous stories: The Dead Zone, Cujo, Needful Things, and of course, Salem's Lot. Sadly, I have yet to see stories that feature things like these books happening. Has anyone seen any at all?

One can only imagine what would happen if lovable Winona of the Apple Farm became a ravenous rabies-ridden beast and attacked her beloved owners. Or a mysterious Pony coming to town and selling things that appealed to the residents of Ponyville's heart's desires, while secretly turning the residents against one another. Or the same with a new pony, only he secretly turns the town's residents into vampires one by one. The story "Sanguine Kindness" touched on that last one a bit, but it wasn't quite the same. Could the Elements of Harmony manage to stand against these horrid creatures? Would the power of friendship drive them back to the darkness? Or would even the Mane Six and friendship succumb to the darkness?

I issue a challenge to any author or fan of King who reads this. No reward unfortunately, just for fun. After all, not everything has to be for money. Try and see if you can come up with an idea utilizing one of these stories of small towns being torn apart or becoming corrupted and apply it here. Who would the heroes be? The Mane Six? Our resident dragon? Or perhaps a background pony one wouldn't expect?

With Halloween only about a month or so away, it would be a great addition to the horror we read each year.

The closest thing I have ever done was “Glutton, Inc.” that was inspired from his short story “Quitters, Inc.” I have used some of his stuff in my work as I have grown up reading his books. His gift was turning really silly things into good scary stories.

No kidding. It's one of the main reasons I love his books too. Like I said in the challenge, to see Ponyville be terrorized by a rabid dog or turned against each other by a manipulative demon pony would be cool. The "Needful Things" one would be especially cool since that was the book that really got me into him.

The Shining was for me. I always loved a good ghost story.

Well why not Ponyville Lot. a Salem Lot style story. How Twilight Sparkle returns to visit her friends and a vampire moves in.

Oh yeah. I actually love the story and have seen both the original miniseries and the 2004 one with Rob Lowe (partial to that one.) As I said, "Sanguine Kindness" SORTA touched on Ponyville being over run by Vampires and them committing killings, but not quite the way that Salem's Lot did. Great fic though. Five stars definitely. In the book, the vampires actually managed to be sentient somewhat and used that to lure victims in.

Great! Any idea on a story? As I mentioned, a "Salem's Lot" or "Needful Things" story would be good. Even "Cujo" with Winona.

I was thinking of being a bit more topical with The Outsider. As it is one of his stories that lends its self more into both the small-town aspect but also mystery. The Everfree is a hotbed of horror if it is used correctly and honestly. The Recent nature of The Outsider's HBO adaptation would lend it more towards the same sort of attention that It and The Dark Tower have brought here.

I realize you called out a lot of specific King stories here, but as a fan of King and of the small-town-corrupted storyline in general, I would be remiss if I didn't link you you to this fiction:

TLocal
Twilight loves living in Ponyville, though the change is a little bigger than she'd first expected. But things like homesickness and dealing with the way everyone seems to stare and whisper are all just part of moving somewhere new.
Seer · 53k words  ·  206  2 · 3.5k views

I don't want to say to much about it (bc I can't quite remember how much is given to you in the beginning), but this might be of interest to you. Again, it's not an adaptation of any particular King story, but it does explore the concept of a corrupted small town in a way that is very reminiscent of his work and themes.

Directly adapting King stories into fanfiction is kind of difficult from a technical perspective (at least imo), just because King works so tirelessly to build everything in his world around the story he wants to tell. Each of the losers were created to have very deep and visceral fears (as well as some more existential fears) that really run the gamut of movie monsters, and give It plenty of options to toy with. Jack Torrence was written to have the perfect balance of manipulation, anger, and charisma to keep his family in a perpetual state of terror. To write fanfiction in the same style as King, you really have to start with the characters and figure out what can be done to tighten their screws. Or loosen them I guess haha.

That said.... I would love it if you posted links to some of the fics you mentioned :raritywink:

I guess you have a point. King's novels mainly showed characters that had either deep fears that could be exploited, or positive ideas that could be crushed as the series progressed and the monsters (either supernatural or human) took them apart. There are quite a few stories on this site that, while not direct adaptations of Kings' work, have similar ideas of affecting characters.

Here's the one with the vampires I mentioned:
Sanguine Kindness

I read the synopsis on both versions and something like that does sound exciting and terrifying. A small town where everypony knows each other rocked by scandalous accusations against a prominent and popular citizen. And all the while, a monster is feeding off the misery, anger and fear of these Ponies.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12