• Published 9th May 2024
  • 59 Views, 0 Comments

I Love You. Forever. - President_Celestia



Melodic Heights, aka Melody, is visited by her mother as they talk under the light of the setting sun.

  • ...
 0
 59

Sunset

“Melody, where have you been? I’ve been worried sick.”

The sound of Melody’s worried father is what she heard when she walked into the house, her tiny hooves making a soft sound against the wooden floor. “Sorry, daddy, my friends wanted to show something to me and I couldn’t say no.”

“It’s nearly sundown, I was just about to go to the school to check if you were okay.” Her father sighs, his dark blue coat shimmering slightly in the light that shone from the candles littered around the foyer.

“Well, I’m okay, daddy!” Melody joyfully announced before sniffing the air. “Are you cooking, daddy?”

Her father chuckled. “I am, and I’m making your favorite.”

Melody gasps in delight as she instantly knows what he’s talking about. “Macaroni and cheese and broccoli!?”

Her father chuckled again and nodded. “I figured I would start now because I had a small feeling that you would be home soon. Though…” He trailed off just as Meoldy began speaking again.

“Wait! I’ve got to go to the cliff!” Melody exclaims, dropping the backpack that was on her back and turning around toward the door. “I’ll be back soon!”

“Be careful, Melody. Be sure to get back when the sun sets!”

“Okay, daddy!” Melody shot out of the front door like a purple blur. Behind her, the small white house that she called glistened in the golden light of the setting sun, the windows glowing from the light inside. Her father watched from the doorway of the front door, smiling as he watched Melody run off toward the cliff.

Melody wasted no time in booking it toward the cliff, the familiar salty taste and cool breeze that blew in from the ocean making her smile as she approached her destination.

She skidded to a stop not but a few feet away from a perilous drop that led down to harsh churning water and sharp jagged rocks. However, she wasn’t afraid nor was she hesitant. She approached the edge of the cliff and sat down, looking out at the warm yellows and reds that made up the beautiful sunset. She was waiting for somepony special.

A quiet sound behind Melody, like hooves against wet grass, made her smile wide as she turned toward the pony she had been waiting for.

“Hi, mommy.” Melody happily greeted the cherry-red pony with a smile on her face.

“Hello, sweetie.” She replied quietly, leaning down and nuzzling Melody, making her giggle. “How was your day today?”

“It was really good!” Melody exclaimed, stepping back and bouncing up and down. “At school, my friends and I worked on this science project that was like a volcano, and it went WHOOSH and made a big mess!”

Her mother chuckled and smiled. “You got a good score, right?”

“A perfect one! The teacher says she’s never seen such a reaction from a small reaction without magic.” Melody looked out at the sunset again. “She says I’m very talented.”

“That’s because you are very talented. I’ve told you before, you’re one of the most intelligent fillies in the school.” Her mother rustled Melody’s mane playfully, making her giggle.

“Mommy, stop! I’m not that smart!” Melody said, pushing her hoof away gently.

“You are, sweetheart. Your father raised you well and I’m proud of him for that, just like I’m proud of you.” Her mother looked out at the sunset, a soft cool breeze rustling her dull orange and yellow mane. “I couldn’t have asked for two better ponies in my life.”

Melody stayed silent, smiling up at her mother before looking out at the sunset. “The sunset is very pretty today, mommy.”

“It is, isn’t it?” She smiled, admiring the streaks of yellow, orange, and red that lined the horizon.

“Just like you, mommy! You’re very pretty, just like the sunset!” Melody turned to her mother and pushed her head into her neck, nuzzling her gently.

“Aw… thank you, sweetie.” Her mother looked down at Melody, the same soft smile ever present on her face. “Your words mean more than you know…”

Melody nuzzled her for a few seconds more before she stepped back and looked up at her. “Am I pretty?”

Her mother paused, her smile faltering. Melody tilted her head in confusion.

“Mommy? Why are you crying?” She asked softly, more confused than anything.

“Because… you are the prettiest pony I know…” Her mother sniffled. “I don’t want you to ever think otherwise.”

“Really, mommy!? I’m pretty!?” Melody’s legs quaked with excitement as a wide grin formed on her face. Her mother nodded slowly, smiling.

“Yes, you’re very, very pretty… just like the colors of the twilight sky.” She whispered, gently brushing Melody’s mane, to which she giggled.

“Thank you, mommy! Thank you, thank you, thank you!” Melody ran in a small circle before jumping into her mother, causing them to tumble slightly onto the soft wet grass. The two of them laughed and giggled for a short, pleasant minute before they straightened themselves and rested on the grass, facing the sun as it finally began to dip below the horizon.

“I love you, mommy.” Melody whispers to the red pony, leaning against her gently.

“I love you too. Forever. Never forget that, okay?” She quietly answers, her eyes watching the sun sink lower and lower.

“Never ever forever.”

The two sat in content silence until Melody suddenly stood up.

“The sun’s going down, I have to go back soon for dinner.” She said, slowly turning around. Then, her ears perked and she smiled. “Oh, I know! Mommy, you should join us for dinner! Daddy is always talking about how he misses you!”

Her mother looked at Melody with an unreadable expression before softly shaking her head. “I would love to, sweetie… but mommy can’t.”

“Aw, but why? Daddy would be so happy!” Melody pouted, putting on a frowny face.

“Melody! Dinner!” Her father’s voice echoed from the white house, causing Melody to turn and holler back.

“Okay! Be there soon!” Melody yelled, waving at him from afar. She then turned back around. “Mommy, you really should come…”

The sun had set, the sky slowly dimming into a dark, comforting blanket of dark blues and purples, the stars of the night sky beginning to appear and sparkle above. However, Melody could only ask one question as she gazed upon the empty spot where her mother just sat.

“Mommy?”

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment