• Published 26th Apr 2013
  • 4,597 Views, 136 Comments

Hole Hearted - Akashic Brony



Den is a pegasus of the Equestrian Royal Guard. Echo is a high class infiltrator of the reviled changeling race. Can their love flourish in an Equestria under threat? Which bounds are stronger love or loyalty? What dark designs lurk in the backdrop?

  • ...
14
 136
 4,597

Chapter 4 Love?

Instead of waking in another dream, Den found himself in a strange, green fluid. He gasped for air but found he could breath even while submerged in the liquid. He was in a cocoon. He looked outside the translucent bubble. A dark form was hunched over the sphere. It too blinked awake with green eyes not unlike those of Queen Chrysalis. Den squirmed violently, causing the creature to jump back. In a gush of green liquid Den broke free of the cocoon.

Den coughed the fluid out of his lungs and on to the wooden floor, then looked up at the black, insect-like creature—it was a monster from the nightmare. Rage and hate still filled his mind of the burning village and dead villagers.

Den looked for a means to defend himself. He snapped off a leg from a nearby table. “Die, demon!” Den charged with the splinter of wood. He impaled the creature and watched it squirm in agony as he pinned it against the wall.

A familiar voice called out to him. “Well, I thought you wanted to get to know me first before you stabbed me with your wood.” The creature chuckled.

Den felt his anger diminish. “Echo?”

“Yes,” hacked the creature, spitting out blood.

“Oh Celestia and Luna, what have I done?” Den pulled the length of wood from the Changeling. Blood spurted out as he did so.

“It is fitting that I am the last,” said Echo, closing her eyes.

“No, I’ll make this right,” cried Den.


Den looked around the small home. A kitchen and living area connected a bathroom and a bedroom. He needed bandages. He flung open cupboards and drawers. In one cupboard, he saw a dozen cocoons with small animals slumbering inside. He ignored that for now. Finally, he found medical supplies in one of cupboards. He popped open the med kit and its contents fell to the ground.

“Stay with me.” Den applied gauze and bound the bandage around her.

Gently lifting her each time, he did the wrap-around. Her skin was soft and leathery, and not the hard armor it appeared to be. When done, he carried her to the small bedroom. He sat by her side, staring at the strange creature as its chest lifted slightly with every strained breath.

Den noticed a slight pain as he arched his neck. He felt for it and found a hairline scar. She had saved his life. He remembered his last waking memory to be a dagger plunging into his neck. Memories that were not his own also flooded his mind’s eye. The last dreams had blinded him with rage. He realized on some level the anger and rage was not his, but hers.

Her home was sparsely-furnished and very neat. However, there was a bookcase in her room that was filled to the brim. He recognized many of the titles as classical works, mostly tragedies. He smiled slightly when he saw a Daring Do novel with a bookmark wedged inside of it. It was one the bedside table. It was the darkest chapter of the series but it was comforting to know she read some modern junk. He opened the book; the bookmark was inlaid on the chapter where Daring had to leave Saddle Arabia and her coltfriend for a greater mission. Carefully, Den set the book back on to the bedside table, next to a dutifully-maintained calendar.

He looked outside her window. Somehow, it was night again, and the pale moon lit up the room through the curtains: he had spent an entire day dreaming. He examined the strange creature thoroughly. Holes seemed to perforate her hooves. Dragonfly-like wings sprouted from her back. Den fell asleep with his head leaning on her bed. He hoped she would wake in morning.


Echo grumbled at the morning sun. It still stung her eyes; darkness was her home. However, part of her infiltration involved learning the habits of the enemy. She stumbled sleepily out of her bed, not noticing Den.

Echo telekinetically opened a cupboard. She took out a small cocoon with a bunny inside it. The rabbit was slumbering in the green fluid-pouch.

Echo smacked her lips. “Huh, I’m not hungry,” she observed quietly to herself. She didn’t feel a ravenous hunger that normally persisted. Somehow she was full. “A light breakfast then.” Her green magic sapped a small spark of energy from the rabbit. She set the sleeping bunny back into her cupboard.

Den stumbled groggily out of her bedroom, startling her.

“Echo you’re awake, and healed,” said Den, embracing her happily.

“Den, you’re in my home? So it wasn’t a dream,” said Echo, stammering.

“Wait, if you, the dream walker, are questioning reality, where does that leave me?”

“A dream within a dream,” Echo said, pointing hoof at his chest. She noticed the holes. She was not disguised. “Look away. I have to change!” Echo pushed Den back.

“Wait,” said Den calmly. “I’ve already seen your true form. I had to touch you to fix your bandages.”

Echo’s face flushed red. She felt her chest where she had been wrapped in bandages. “Scoundrel,” Echo shouted. She immediately flashed into her pony form.

“Show me your true form. Please, I don’t mind.”

“You won’t stab me again, will you?” asked Echo uncertainly.

Den scratched his head. “I’m really sorry about that. You saved my life. You can’t be as bad as they say.”

Echo flashed back to her Changeling form. She was like a miniature version of Chrysalis with the same demonic eyes. Holes covered her limbs. Her hair and mane were like thin ghostly sheets. Her torso, her thorax, was a dark turquoise, and her wings were semi-translucent green. In whole, she nearly matched the diabolical depictions that appeared in stained-glass windows of the palace.

“I’m disgusting, aren’t I? Demonic?” She nervously backed away as Den inspected her closer.

Den took no time to hug her again. “I could get used to it.”

Echo’s eyes were wide in shock. “What’s wrong with you?” Echo looked at Den in confusion.

“I sort of like mares with a mean, misunderstood streak,” said Den.

“This whole thing started with you trying to hug me,” said Echo, now in Den’s arms.

“I’m sorry for entering your memories. You’ve had a rough life, haven’t you?”

“Yours doesn’t seem to be any more pleasant. Your happiest memory was when you were a kid. That’s sad.”

“Then let’s drown in each others’ misery,” Den offered.

Echo said nervously. “Wait, I’ll shift forms.”

“No. I want... you.” Den leaned in and kissed her passionately.

Den and Echo looked into each other’s eyes.


Den and Echo slept on the small bed. Echo was wrapped in Den’s right wing. Their combined warmth filled the little room. They lay on a large pillow and rested their heads as they faced one another.

“That’s the second time you stabbed me,” Echo cooed affectionately.

“Wow, we just did that,” said Den.

Echo pushed herself away slightly. She touched her hooves nervously. “Now that you’re thinking clearly… do you regret it?” She looked to Den for an answer.

Den rubbed his mane. “Usually in the books I’ve read, this doesn’t come until the end. I know I don’t regret it though, not you. I’m not sure what’s next.”

“Ha, I suppose you’ll have to deal with the consequences. It’s naughty to eat your desert before your meal.”

“I accept those consequences. I want you to know that I care about us beyond lust. You saved my life, you care. Also I know it’s not your first time, but it was mine.”

“You were my first as well.”

Den smirked.“First? I don’t believe it you’re too good.”

“You were my first in another, more important way.”

“What’s that?”

Echo paused a moment, then blushed. “I meant in this form. You can imagine our disguises as a second set of clothes.We Changelings are rather sensitive without them,” explained Echo, gesturing to her black carapace.

“Echo—is that even your real name?” asked Den.

Echo grimaced and turned her head away from Den. “It’s Larvi. Echo, is my favorite alias. I’m not sure which I prefer I’ve lived half my life under either banner.”

Den nodded, putting the pieces together. “In your memories I look a lot like your coltfriend Constance. I’m not just a replacement goldfish, am I?”

“It is scary, but I’ve forgotten what he looks like. The image could have been a projection. Please don’t read into it.”

“This Constance—you were really ready to run away with him?” asked Den.

Echo looked contemplatively at the ceiling. “Yes, I was—was ready to deny my duty, even—but that was so long ago. He was my first. I am not who I was before. I’ve become... colder.”

“I just realized we’ve known each other for only four days.” Den looked at the calendar at Echo’s bedside.

“Seems much longer, does it not?”

“Yes, it does. But how do I know you haven’t... you know, magicked me into this?”

“It’s high-level magic and takes incredible focus and power. I tried at the café, but the waiter distracted my attention.”

“Hold on, you tried it on me?” asked Den, alarmed.

“Yeah, sorry. You made me angry by indirectly calling me a monster.”

“You are one in bed.” Den smiled.

“Shush. I’m not done with you yet,” chirped Echo happily.


Den awoke again. The clock by Echo’s bedside read two.

“I have to get to work,” said Den, sitting up on the bed.

“Huh?” said Echo. “Take a day off,” she murmured.

“My schedule’s flexible, but not that flexible. I have to make a report to my Captain.”

“On what?”

Den gritted his teeth. “The Changeling threat.”

“Oh. There isn’t any.”

“What does that mean?”

Echo sighed deeply. “I’m the last one.” Her voice was laden with hints of both sadness and relief.

“How can you be sure?”

“I was sort of important. They’d have contacted me by now.”

“Important how?”

Echo cringed. “I planned the attack.”

Den jumped out of the bed. “You what?!”

Echo sighed. “I’m sorry.”

“How?” demanded Den.

“City layout structural plans. Guard shifts. That sort of thing.”

“That’s how they knew exactly where to hit us,” cried Den. “You planned the most devastating attack on Canterlot since that of Nightmare Moon.”

“I’m sorry, Den,” said Echo, sniffling. “If it’s any consolation, I made that anonymous threat that put the guard on alert.”

Den lifted a hoof. It was all he could do not to hit her. His rage rescinded. “Why?”

“Why what?”

“Why an anonymous threat? If you kept silent then it would have been a total victory for your people. If you turned yourself in and gave us the invasion plans the opposite would be true.”

“Cowardice... indecision... guilt,” Echo said, “I don’t know.”

“It would have been a total loss if we weren’t the least bit aware. You just might have saved Equestria.”

“I put it in danger in the first place. Your father committed suicide because of me.”

Den held her close. “No, if not for you, some other would have done your job. My dad died when mom did. Anyway, you were a soldier. The war is over.”


“Now presenting Vice Captain Dented Armor.”

Den walked into the small throne room and bowed. Princess Cadance smiled softly and motioned that he stand. Captain Shining Armor was less welcoming, as expected of a superior officer.

“Den, last I spoke to her,” Shining Armor said, “Quill Heart told me you’ve been practically living in the archives for nearly a month. I’m interested in what you have to report.”

Den handed Shining Armor a long scroll. “Our soldiers scouring the lands have found small, disorganized pockets of Changelings. The last cell was discovered months ago. They shouldn’t pose a significant threat any longer. In my research, I have discovered little.”

“Hmm, we still should be wary,” Shining Armor warned. “Chrysalis is still at large. We should conduct more screenings.”

“Dear, wasn’t she destroyed in the blast?” asked Cadance.

“She defeated Princesses Celestia in single combat,” said Shining Armor. “I’m not taking any chances.”

“That’s only because she fed on the love you had for me,” said Cadance, smiling.

“You’re right. The Griffin Kingdoms are the greater threat now. Their new War Balloons place their Hawkers in striking distance of Canterlot. We can’t count on the Eastern Sea to protect us.”

“Griffins?” asked Den.

Shining Armor shot Den a stern look. “Yeah, you missed the briefing yesterday. Your lieutenant Blueberry had to collect notes for you.”

“I’m sorry, I was—”

“No excuses,” said Shining Armor firmly.

Cadance unfurled Den’s scroll. “Dear, he looks positively exhausted. He’s been working on this report for a while. It’s very detailed. He’s also lost a father. We shouldn’t be so harsh.”

“I’m sorry, Den,” said Shining Armor. His composure relaxed as he offered words of comfort. “I know it must be rough for you. You father was a good Captain.”

“My promotion—I don’t deserve it,” said Den, lowering his head.

“Hey, you’re not just filling your father’s shoes! You’re a damned-fine officer. I wouldn’t have promoted you otherwise.”

“Yes, sir.” Den saluted.

“You can go get some rest now,” said Cadance kindly.

Den added: “Yes, I’ve also recently discovered that the existence of Changelings might have been the result of a curse. In the future, when we find them, it may be more kind to capture them. We may be able to lift the curse.”

“This beginning portion recommends extermination,” said Shining Armor, looking over his wife’s shoulders.

“I may have been too harsh. I just lost a father. The Changelings aren’t mindless monsters. We’re just as cruel if we treat them like they are.”

Cadance raised an eyebrow. “That’s very compassionate of you.”

Shining Armor nodded. “We will consider your new thoughts, but we can’t risk our guards trying for live captures if the Changelings aren’t willing.”


Den walked down the white marble palace steps.

“How was it?” said Echo, who was waiting for him.

“I recommended live captures if any more of your people are found.”

“Den, you didn’t have to do that. Not for me.”

“No, you just put things in perspective for me.”

“We should get you dinner.”

“Well, now that I think about it, I haven’t eaten in a while,” Den admitted in surprise.

“The cocoon I made sustained you. But it’ll soon wear off. When it does you’ll really feel it if you’re on an empty stomach.”


Den and Echo found a fancy restaurant that was still accepting customers. They sat by the candle-lit tables in an open area. Again, the moon watched over the proceedings.

“So, Echo, what will you do now?” asked Den.

“Huh?”

“The war’s over. Chrysalis is gone. You can live your life.”

“What will I do?” Echo pursed her lips. “Hmm, maybe a certain stallion.”

“You’re getting two dinners tonight? Won’t you get fat?” Den chuckled.

“Never. I’m forever cute.”

“Seriously, what do you have planned? No more playing on the edge of cliffs, okay?”

Echo lowered her head. “Honestly, I don’t know. My life has always been about completing missions and following orders.” Echo gazed into her wine glass.

“Well, then that settles it! You’re becoming a guard. I’ll give you plenty of missions and orders.”

Echo laughed eerily. “No way! That would be too ironic.”

“I need a second helper. Blueberry’s nice, but she’s not book smart.”

“Your lieutenant, she’s a she?” asked Echo, with a pang of jealousy.

“Umm, yeah. Hey, we’re just friends. I wouldn’t do the stuff I do to you with her. She’d kill me.”

“Maybe I will join the guard. I could show you lance jockeys a thing or two.” Echo laughed lightly. “But what if I’m discovered?”

“Umm…” Den looked worriedly. “We’ll out you. I’ll tell the world.”

“I’m just joking. I can’t be a guard. The things I’ve seen and done…”

“Let that go.”

“You don’t know me as well as you think.”

“I’ve seen your memories.”

“You’ve seen some…”

“You healed me.”

“If you hadn’t discovered the illusion, how would you know that I wouldn’t have kept in you in that cocoon?”

Den looked away from her.

Echo smiled. “The love I’ve received from you is the most intense I’ve experienced. I suppose that’s because it’s direct. It’s touching. However, Den, I don’t think I could feel the same way about you. I’d only hurt you. Even now the temptation to stick you in a cocoon and drink you dry is with me. You’re prey in my eyes.” Echo lowered her head.

“Who said anything about love? Maybe I’m just a hunter, like you.” Den tried to smirk.

“I can feel these things,” said Echo, sipping the last of her wine. “You don’t have to even say, it’s transparent.”

“I want to say: Echo, or whoever you are, I love you.”

Echo shook her head. “It’s most likely infatuation. Your social mores are different. Often your kind conflates lust with love. I need time to think.” She got up from the table.

Den reached out. “Don’t shut me out. Let’s meet again at the café tomorrow, noon lunch.”

Echo looked back but gave no confirmation.


Echo wrenched open the door to her small home. Her smile had wilted and she stepped slowly into the small lonely home. A cold breeze wafted in through her home, she noticed a window was open.

A gray stallion with a fedora sat waiting in the shadows. He stepped forward as to be seen. “In between larva and fly, where do your loyalties lie?”

Echo gasped and instinctively recited the accompanying phrase. “All hail Queen Chrysalis,” she whispered. “Master Amorpheus.”

Author's Note:

If you like Hole Hearted please support this story and give a like! Thanks for watching!

Master Amorpheus