• Published 7th May 2013
  • 3,848 Views, 386 Comments

Tears of Snow - FlashKenshin77



Snowdrop, a young blind filly meets Icy Mist, a young disabled pegasus that moved to Cloudsdale. As they become closer, she unravels a certain secret that he begs her not to tell others. Can she save Icy from his father?

  • ...
5
 386
 3,848

III - Peace of Mind

Tears of Snow
By - FlashKenshin77

Chapter III - Peace of Mind
Edited by - WeLCxAlphaPuppy and Rglloyd

Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.

~;~

Everypony in class stared at us, waiting for my response. I felt the blood rise to my face, highlighting the mismatched bruises. “Um... I-I got in a fight after school in the park.” I said quickly.

Snowdrop’s eyes widened as she looked at me and I knew Mrs. Windith didn’t buy it. She walked over to me, gently putting a hoof on my back. “We need to take you to Nurse Healium and have her look you over, make sure you didn’t get seriously hurt.”

“It’s alright, I’m fine.”

“Icy, you look like you were beaten up by a dragon. We’re going to the Nurses.” She turned to class. “Turn to page three hundred and sixty five. Read until I get back, then we’ll take the quiz.”

Before anypony could say anything, she dragged me out of the classroom and forced me down the hall towards the Nurse’s office. We both were silent, our hooves echoing loudly on the floor.

Mrs. Windith looked at me briefly as she opened the door. The Nurse’s office was a rather big room, a few beds tucked away in the corner. A brightly colored pegasus sat at a desk, organizing a few folders. She had a bright maroon blue mane, tied in a ponytail, the bangs just covering her eyes. Her eyes were a sparkling pink. Her coat was the same color as her mane, just a shade or two darker. She looked up as the door opened and our eyes locked.

“Oh my goodness, what happened?” She asked, quickly dropping the folder on the desk and walking over to me.

Mrs. Windith looked at me. “I... um... got into a fight at the park.”

“Hmm...” Ms. Healium muttered, looking at a particularly painful cut on my cheek. She looked up at Windith and it felt like some unspoken conversation happened right in front of me.

Windith minutely nodded. “I’ll go make sure my class isn’t in total anarchy. Icy, stay here till I get you.” She said with a faint smile as she slipped out of the room, shutting the door behind her.

It was an awkward silence as Healium bandaged me up, taking extra care on the deeper cuts. She grimaced as she examined them more, bringing over a light to make sure nothing important was damaged. “I’m sorry.” She said, grabbing a pair of scissors and what looked like nylon thread. She rummaged around and grabbed a needle, the clean metal gleaming menacingly in the light.

The color drained from my face as she threaded the needle, making sure it was secure.

“I have to close this wound and band aids won’t help.” She said, smiling at me. “Don’t worry, I’ve done this a million times. You just need to lay down and relax.”

“Kinda hard when you have a giant needle in your hoof.” I gulped as I lied on the bed, trying not to shiver.

She smiled as she grabbed some disinfectant and gently dabbed some on the cut.

“Relax... just take deep breaths, it’ll only take a minute.” She said, the needle drawing closer. “Now you’re going to feel a slight pinch but you can’t move, understand?” I nodded. “Okay.” She took a deep breath. “So I heard you just moved here from Manehattan?”

I yelped as the needle pierced my skin. I closed my eyes tightly and took a shaky breath. “Y-yeah, me and my dad.”

“Where’s your mom, if you don’t mind me asking.”

“I... I’m not sure.”

“Oh?”

“Y-yeah, I’ve never met her. She left when I was a foal.”

“I see...” She said, silent for a few moments. “There, all done.” She said, grabbing the scissors and snipping the end, tying it into a knot. She put the needle down and grabbed more bandages, wrapping them around the stitch. “There we go, all better. Just take it easy and in a few weeks we’ll take them out.”

I smiled, moving my arm around, trying to get over the itchiness. “Thank you Nurse Healium.”

“It’s what I do.” She said, getting up and putting the needle in the sink. “Icy... you know you can tell me anything right?”

“Uh, yeah?”

She turned around. “Icy, I can tell those cuts didn’t come from any fight. That one there is too jagged.” She pointed to the cut on my cheek. “What happened?”

“I... I uh... you're right, I didn’t get in a fight.” I sighed. “I was helping my dad unpack and fell from the ladder right into a box. It was full of picture frames and I landed wrongly.”

She looked at me sadly. “Icy...” She was interrupted as somepony knocked on the door and it slowly opened, revealing Mrs. Windith.

She smiled. “How is he Healium?”

“A lot better now, looking good as new.”

“I’m glad to hear that.” She looked at me. “If you’d like, you can come back with me or stay here with Nurse Healium till you feel better.”

“I think I’ll go back to the classroom, it’s almost recess.” I grinned as the mares laughed, Windith leading me back.

She opened the door for me, the students looking up briefly from their desks. I noticed they were scribbling and saw a test as I walked by and sat down at my desk. Snowdrop was absent and I turned to stare at the chalkboard, waiting for the test to be over.

I seemed to slip into a daze, memories surfacing that I hadn’t thought of in a long time. The time Dad tried to get me to steal that loaf of bread from the Manehattan bakery... and how wonderful it ended. I’m glad they took it easy on colts.

“Alright class, I think that’s enough time.” Mrs. Windith said, half the class sighing. She walked around, collecting the tests. Snowdrop came back, holding her test and pencil in her mouth, passing it to Windith as she sat down. Windith placed the pile of papers on her desk before grabbing another, passing them down the rows. “As you all know, the Spring Sun Celebration is coming up and I thought we should start getting ready for it with a little group project.” She paused, letting everypony read the sheet. “I’m going to split you all into pairs and you two are going to come up with something to show Princesses Celestia and Luna. Now I’m sure most of you know your partners so get into little clusters and we’ll use the rest of the time till lunch to start planning.”

The class erupted into noise as ponies grouped together, pushing their desks into small rectangles. I walked over to Snowdrop. “Hey, you don’t mind working together, right?” She shook her head as I pushed my desk up against hers. We reached into our saddlebags, pulling out a pencil and paper.

I was silent, tapping my pencil lightly against the desk. “Um... Icy, can I ask you a question?”

I blinked, turning to look at her. “Sure, ask away.”

“Why did you lie?”

“What do you mean?”

She fidgeted. “Well... when you were telling Mrs. Windith that you got in a fight at the park after school... You couldn’t have, you came to my house.” She whispered. “W-why did you lie to her?”

“I... uh... didn’t want think it’d be that big of a deal...”

“What do you mean?”

“It’s nothing, I um... I did get into a fight after I left your house.”

“You did?”

“Uh.. um...” I stuttered, trying to think of something.

“Icy, is everything-”

“Everything’s fine Snowdrop!” I yelled, slightly harsher than I meant to. Everypony looked at us for a moment before they went back to working, a few staring at us for a moment longer.

Snowdrop’s ears fell flat on her head as she stared at her desk. “Oh... okay...”

“Is everything alright over here?” Mrs. Windith asked, sneaking up on me.

I nodded. “Yeah, we just couldn’t figure out what to do for the Spring Sun Celebration...”

She stared at me. “Okay, well if you need any help, you could just raise your hoof and I’ll try and help.” She said, walking back towards her desk.

I sighed quietly, turning back to Snowdrop. “Um... Snowdrop, I didn’t mean to-”

“I was thinking of having us each make a cloud flower for each princess?” Snowdrop asked in a monotone voice, not looking up from the desk.

“Um... sure.” I paused, watching her write down the idea. “Are you alright?”

She nodded. “Do you know what the Princesses favorite flowers are?”

“N-not a clue... Snowdrop-”

“Then we’ll have to check the library and see if Ms. Dancer knows.”

I nodded, writing down a few ideas as we were mostly quiet, lost in our own thoughts.

=

I slowly opened the door and heard the water running in the kitchen. I closed it, dropping my saddlebags off at the door and poked my head into the kitchen. Dad was standing in front of the sink, washing the few piling dishes inside. His ear twitched as he turned his head to look at me.

“Icy...” He said, sounding... slightly concerned.

“Hey Dad...” I said, gulping.

He stared at me in silence and I was too scared to ask what he wanted. He shook his hooves off and walked over to me, putting a hoof on my shoulder. I flinched as I felt the reassuring weight gently pat my shoulder. I opened an eye, looking up into his exhausted face. He seemed to have bags underneath his eyes and they were bloodshot.

“Look... Icy, I..." He paused, seemingly at a loss for words. He sighed, turning back around and heading back to the sink. “Go get washed up and do your homework.”

I nodded, quickly stumbling over my front hooves as I left the kitchen. I paused, turning around. “Hey Dad... um... I’m sorry that I didn’t-”

“It’s fine Icy, get your stuff done. It’s my fault that we didn’t do them last night.” He said, motioning towards the dishes.

“Okay...”

“Wait, Icy.” Dad said and I froze. I could hear his hooves coming closer as I felt pressure on my back. “What happened?”

“I... uh...”

He was silent, his mouth slightly ajar as he ran a hoof over the bandages. I hissed in pain as he pushed against a band aid. “W-what happened?”

I didn’t know what to say, silent as my brain went empty, trying to think of an excuse. Dad turned to look at the sink, staring at it in horror. He walked over to it and grabbed a broken shot glass.

“D-dad...”

He ignored me, lost in his own thoughts. He flinched, closing his eyes as his wings rustled. He held his hoof to his head. I ran over holding his hoof. “Dad, what’s wrong?”

He took a sharp breath, opening his eyes as he backed up, staring at me.

“Dad-”

“Go do your homework!” Dad yelled and I fell back. Dad seemed furious, glaring at me. I ran out of the room, grabbing my saddlebags and charged into my room.

I leaned against the door, tossing my saddlebags towards the middle of the floor. I sat down, rummaging around inside them and pulled out my notebook and stared at the paper, trying to come up with the flowers the Princesses would like. I leaned against my forehooves, closing my eyes as I tried to think.

=

The wind blowed as I sat there, blinking as I looked around, lost. The moon was hidden by the clouds, snow blowing harder. I saw a filly sitting at the edge of the cloud, staring out into the darkness. I headed towards her, noticing it was Snowdrop. I heard her sniffle, rubbing her snout.

“Snowdrop, what’s wrong?” I asked, resting a hoof on her shoulder as I phased through her and fell. I screamed, landing quietly on the cloud.

“Why did he have to...” She gulped, trying to stop the tears flowing.

“Snowdrop-” I said, trying to wrap her in one of those hugs again but every time I couldn’t grab her, fading through her. She ignored me, almost as if I wasn’t there.

“I didn’t even get a chance to say I’m sorry... or goodbye...” She said, staring at the sky as I noticed she was holding a cloud flower.

I reached for it, my hoof resting on hers. “W-what are you talking about?”

Tears sprinkled the cloud. “He... he... said he wouldn’t leave me...” She looked at me, almost as if she could see me. “Icy... why...”

I blinked. “What do you mean? I’m right here.”

“Why did you do it... I thought we agreed to always be there for each other. I didn’t know you’d ever resort to that...” She paused, taking a shaky breath.

“Snowdrop...” I said, a fiery pain erupted my chest as I gasped, clutching my chest. I panted, the world spinning away as it shrunk to a pinpoint before everything faded to black.

=

I opened my eyes, gasping in pain, my chest still on fire. I held a hoof to it, trying to breath. What... what was that? I gritted my teeth, getting to my hooves.

The door flew open, Dad standing there. “Dinner- Icy, are you alright?”

“My chest... hurts...” I said, taking a step forward before fading to black and slumped to the floor.

Author's Note:

Well then, sorry about that. Between being really sick, having quite a few family problems, work getting ready to start, and having some road block along with some side projects, I finally finished. Sorry it's so late and how I kept promising it'd be done by the end of the week, what 3 weeks ago? Hopefully it was worth the wait and what not. Any errors, problems, etc, PM me or leave a comment, I try to answer everything. Thanks for reading!