• Published 25th Apr 2013
  • 585 Views, 7 Comments

The Diary of Crankshaft and his Mechanical Misadventures - BLT185



The Life and Times of a lonely engineer

  • ...
 7
 585

Chapter 9: Filling in the Blanks

I do not own Hasbro nor do I own My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Chapter 9: Filling in the Blanks

I took a large breath as I sat up. I took a moment to take in my surroundings. It became very clear that I was in a hospital. I took a moment to mull over why I woke up here. I recalled that I had fallen from a height of several hundred feet. Taking that into consideration, it was a miracle that I alive, let alone awake.

I remembered the two other ponies in the room. I looked to my left and they were still there at the bedside. They had obviously halted there conversation when they realized I waking up. Nurse Redheart was looking at me, concern written all over her face. The mare I had saved was standing there too, her ears dropped and head lowered as though she was grieving something. I would pester her later but first I had a few questions “How long was I out?” I asked, addressing Nurse Redheart. “You were comatose for two days, your left front leg is broken along with three ribs and you suffered some minor lacerations on your face and head.” She replied, a slightly sympathetic tone in her voice. It was then that I saw the bandages across my body, the cast on my hoof and, though I couldn’t see them, I became aware of the bandages on my face.

The maroon mare next to the Nurse was being unusually quiet. “Your name is Iris Blossoms, correct?” I queried, hoping to start a conversation as well as have my suspicions confirmed. Iris Blossom looked surprised, but she nodded slowly. “Are you alright?” Again, she merely nodded. I was becoming curious as to why she was being so quiet and apparently having a staring contest with the floor. “Do you know who I am?” I inquired, hoping she would. She shook her head. My ears drooped a little at that answer, in truth I had been expecting that answer, but it still hurt all the same.

“Why are you being so quiet?” I asked. “You’re in here because of me.” Said Iris, her voice cracked as she spoke and tears had begun to form in her eyes. It became clear that I needed to comfort her. She needed to know it wasn’t her fault. “I’m happy I’m here” I said, making my best attempt at a reassuring smile “I chose to save you, I chose to get injured, and you would have died if I hadn’t” she wiped her tears and sniffed. I knew this might make her start crying again, but it was a question that I needed to ask “Just out of curiosity, why were you falling?” She was hesitant at first but she began to answer “I was flying on my way to Ponyville to see if I could meet an old friend.” She said “I wasn’t paying attention to how fast I was flying.” Iris stopped for a moment. “Go on” I said, eager to hear more. “There was this huge white pegasus flying the other way, I didn’t see him until I hit him, going Celestia knows how fast.” Iris was beginning to sniffle again. “I hit my head on him and the last thing I heard as I blacked out was him shouting “YEEEEAAAAAHHH!” at the top of his lungs. Next thing I woke up on a cloud. I looked around and saw you on the ground, with your leg at an odd angle, barely breathing and a weird broken metal thing about 20 feet awa... What’s wrong?” she noticed me getting up and wincing, she began to follow me as I said “I need to go to the place you found me. I need to check something.”


The pain in my leg was immeasurable, but I ignored it as I hobbled toward the crash site. Iris was still following me and trying to get me to answer her questions, but I was ignoring her. I needed to get to the Icarus, time was of the essence. Iris questioned me again and I shouted at her “I’m sorry, but there’s no time! I’ll explain when we get there!” When we reached the crater I needed to take a moment to rest. My breath was heaving, and my broken ribs weren’t making it easy to catch my breath.

The Icarus had left a crater in the ground where it had landed. The tail badly bent and crumpled like a piece of paper, the canvas was torn and tattered. I found the right wing, its frame was broken. Broken propellers were scattered everywhere. The engine was dented and unusable. I feared the worst when I saw a faint glow from the top of the engine. The gem reactor had survived the crash intact. I quickly removed it and inspected it. There were some scuff marks on the top but the sapphire within showed no signs of damage. I breathed a sigh of relief. I heard someone clear there throat behind me, I turned around and saw Iris, she had an eyebrow raised and looked a little less than pleased “Could you finally explain just what’s going on here?”

Author's Note:

Sorry if the dialogue is kind of bad.

Yet again, advice and critique is always appreciated!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment