• Published 26th Apr 2013
  • 12,083 Views, 886 Comments

Vanishing Act - Axel IV



It's been ten years since Rainbow Dash's father disappeared in a wild, fierce thunderstorm. When the same strange storm hits Ponyville, Rainbow Dash does as much as she can to try and stop it from happening again. But magic has a strange h

  • ...
28
 886
 12,083

Resolution

Ten years after Sky Strike's disappearance and the day of his return...

When Celestia's sun peaked out from the bedroom window, the pegasus mare woke up in a familiar cold bed. She shifted in her blankets, grumbling in annoyance as tried to pull the sheets tighter around herself. When the temperature refused to rise she sat up and glanced over at the other side of the bed that held her husband. He was currently snoring away in his own dream world and warmth.

Like always, Starlight had waken up in a cold bed. And she hated waking up in a cold bed.

"Mm..." her husband stirred, his eyes slowly opening to look at her. "Is it morning already, dear?"

"Yes, honey," Starlight replied, reaching up her hooves to rub at her tired eyes. She gave out a yawn and a slight shiver when she pulled away the sheets. She slowly slipped off the bed and planted her hooves onto the expensive red carpet floor.

Their bedroom was very clean and tidy, and everything was organized perfectly. Her husband's things were on his side of the room, and her things were on her side of the room. This way made it easier to get dressed and ready in the mornings and she didn't have to worry about her clothes accidentally mixing with his. On her wall was a decent sized window overlooking the streets of the rich district of Canterlot, and she could see the large houses and manors of her neighbors.

The mare let out a quiet sigh before making her way to the door. Her husband had already gone back to sleep, so she made sure to close the door quietly. She gave a silent groan, making her way down the needlessly long 2nd floor hallway before finally making it to the stairs. Rowdy voices coming from one of the rooms let her know that her kids were awake.

Craving coffee, she made her way down the steps slowly and carefully. The dining was also a ridiculous ways away, and she had to cross a few rooms just to reach it. She had lived in the manor for a number of years and she still had a hard time making her way through it.

"Ah, madam Starlight," a familiar voice called to her, "good morning. I'll have your coffee and breakfast ready in a moment." The butler had greeting her as soon as she stepped into the dining room.

"Thank you, Penny Worth." Starlight yawned before finding her seat at the end of the table. The dining table was long with enough space for more than a dozen seats. Celestia's sun shone its light onto the delicate wood from the large window behind her, and it felt like it was attempting to warm her up.

Starlight was still cold.

After a few moments two young pony twins, a colt and a filly, walked in. "Morning mother," they greeted in unison before taking their seats beside the mare. Their coats were a dark pink and mirrored their mother's, while their black manes were similar to their father's.

"Morning you two." Starlight replied, almost grumbling. Penny Worth walked in with a tray of toast, coffee, and tea for the kids. He set down the tray and delivered the coffee and one of the plates of toast to the adult mare.

"Penny Worth, what's my schedule for the day?" she asked, savoring her precious coffee.

"After your classes have concluded at Canterlot University, you are attending your husband's piano recital at Canterlot Castle." Penny Worth replied, setting down the meals for the two children.

"Oh, right. Another recital." Starlight sighed, taking a light sip from her mug.

"Do you not find them entertaining, madam?" Penny Worth inquired, raising an eye at his employer. "Your husband has the skills to attract the ears of the princesses."

"Yes he does," Starlight responded, "but that doesn't mean that I can't find his music... bland at rare times." Penny Worth gave a light chuckle in response, shooting her a knowing wink. He turned to walk away but stopped when he remembered something.

"Ah, one more thing." Penny Worth trotted back over to her and reached inside his suit. He pulled out a faded white envelope with his hoof and set it down next to her plate.

"From your daughter," he smiled pleasantly, "Rainbow Dash." Starlight's two children immediately ceased what they were doing and gave the the letter looks of disgust and displeasure. She gave the two ponies a sharp glare before gently opening the envelope. She took out the small piece of paper with badly written hoofwriting.

"I hope young Dash is doing well," Penny Worth smiled, "I saw her perform a sonic rainboom at the royal wedding. She's incredible!" Ignoring her butler, Starlight went right into reading the short letter.

Dear Mom,

Like always, you don't have to ask me how I'm doing. I guess I should thank you for paying for my entrance into the Wonderbolts training camp, so thanks. Hope you're having a good time living in that huge house with all that money. I bet you're really happy now.

Sincerely, your other kid.

P.S. Today's the day. Just thought I should tell you since you've probably forgotten.

"Madam?" Pennyworth blinked, "are you feeling well?"

Starlight grumbled, tossing the small letter over to her butler. "Just fine," she answered, pushing her chair out from the table. She didn't feel like eating anymore.

"I'm heading up to take a shower," she stated, "Penny Worth, could you please dispose of that letter?"

Penny Worth sighed, "Of course, madam. Right away."


Canterlot University was the greatest university in all of Equestria. Not only was in located in the capital, but it had the largest budget, largest campus, largest classroom buildings, and was also regularly visited by the princesses. Princess Luna herself also took night classes in order to familiarize herself with the modern world, preferring mathematics and new findings in science.

The main building of the campus had a long staircase leading up to it with a statue of Starswirl the Bearded placed at the very top. The classroom buildings were located behind it and to the side and were named after famous scientists, writers, and even poets. Rainbow's mother finally made it to the top of the stairs, her wings dropping her softly onto the ground.

"Ah, Professor Starlight!" a rather chipper voice called out happily. "Good morning!" Rainbow's mother turned to see one of her students prance over to her. The student, an earth pony mare, had a bright golden coat with a red mane tied into a pony tail. She had bulging saddle bags on her hips hiding her cutie mark.

"Good morning, Day Blossom." Starlight greeted her, giving her a slight nod and turning away. Day Blossom adjusted her bags quickly before dashing up to her professor's side.

"Good news, professor!" Day Blossom smiled, "I'm engaged!" She moved her mane aside, showing off a brand new golden earring.

"Oh," Starlight gave it a quick glance. "Congratulations."

"Thank you!" Day Blossom thanked, prancing to keep up with her teacher. "My fiance' proposed to me just last night! We had a magnificent dinner, saw a show, and he got on his knees in the middle of the street in front of everypony! My, it was just magical!"

"Sounds wonderful." Starlight grumbled in response, "I hope it'll be a happy marriage."

"Me too!" Day Blossom smiled, "so, how did your husband propose to you?"

"It's... complicated." Starlight shrugged, "I don't feel very comfortable talking about it."

"Oh, I understand." Day Blossom nodded, "so... what about your first marriage?"

Starlight opened the door to one of the classroom buildings, not bother to keep it open for her student. "That's not important." She replied, making her way to the stairs for her first class. Day Blossom shoved open the door without a struggle and climbed the stairs after her.

"Oh, come on!" Day Blossom persisted eagerly, "was it really romantic? Embarrassing? Wonderful?"

"I'm not saying." Starlight frowned, desperate to get away from her student. "It's none of your business, Day Blossom." Her student was right on her tail, her earth pony stamina not letting her teacher go.

"Oh, come on!" Day Blossom pouted, "Tell me! I just wanna know!" Starlight quickened her walking pace, navigating carefully through the sea of college students. The location of her classroom was etched into her mind, and unfortunately it was the same case with Day Blossom.

"No, Day Blossom." Starlight shook her head, silently counting down the classroom buildings as she passed them. It wasn't the first time her student had pestered her about her personal life... Starlight thought herself as a decent teacher, but her students often criticized her on her bad connection with her students. Starlight found it absurd, believing that she should spend more time teaching then talking about herself since that's what the students paid for.

"Oh, come on!" Day Blossom protested, "but you barely tell us anything!"

Starlight sighed before glancing back with an irritated expression. "Day Blossom- " The second she glanced back, she made a hard collision with a rather clumsy, inattentive stallion. Both ponies toppled over onto the ground due to lack of attention, sending white paper soaring into the air like butterflies. Starlight collapsed onto her side, but her book-filled saddlebag acted as a cushion on the tiled floor. The stallion, however, landed flat on his back, his eyes rolling in his head from the impact.

"Ugh..." Starlight groaned, reaching a hoof up to rub her head. "Let me guess... Professor Tesla Coil?" The stallion, clad in dirtied white lab coat with a messy brown mane and ruffled sandy coat responded with a groan. With a grunt, he managed to sit up, rubbing his pained temple.

"Professor Starlight?" he blinked, "o-oh, I'm terribly sorry!" He suddenly gasped at the mess of papers that were now scattered over the floor and he desperately shot over to gather them up.

"It's fine." Starlight frowned, brushing herself off and standing up. "Professor Coil, I highly recommend paying attention to what's directly in front of you when you're walking around the campus. I'm not the first university professor you've driven into the ground."

"I-I'm sorry," Tesla Coil stuttered, stuffing all of the papers into his worn saddlebag. "I-I just have a hard time focusing on what I'm doing when I'm so deep in thought, you know?" He laughed nervously, staggering to his feet. Tesla Coil, being a young professor as he was, was often looked down upon by the much older and more experienced scholars of the university. Although he had a brilliant mind he was quite naive and clumsy, and his youthful ideals were heavily frowned upon.

"I understand that you're busy with work, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't pay attention to your surroundings." Starlight sighed in response, readjusting her saddle bags. "If you aren't careful, the university will toss you out without a second thought."

"I-I'm sorry!" he apologized again, nodding his head repeatedly. "I-I'll be careful next time!" He started to walk past her but a thought suddenly sprung in his mind and he turned to face Starlight again.

"E-Erm..." he stuttered, rubbing the back of his head sheepishly. "H-Hey... um..."

"What is it?" Starlight asked, lifting her hoof to glance at her watch. "My class starts shortly. I don't have time for a measly conversation."

"W-Well..." he began, "I, um... I heard from the other professors that today... well, its the anniversary of... um..." Starlight, aware of where he was going, immediately turned away from the young professor.

"There's no need." she replied, "I know what you're going to say. It's been ten years since that happened and I've completely moved on." Day Blossom, who had managed to stay quiet in the confusion, silently followed her teacher with a curious expression.

"O-Oh," Tesla Coil frowned, "I see... I just wanted to let you know that I really respected what your husband did. It's never easy making a sacrifice like- "

"Quiet." Starlight snarled back, shooting Tesla Coil a deadly glare. "Not another word. You understand me?" Day Blossom blinked and then hurried past her teacher, an uncomfortable feeling poking at her gut.

Tesla Coil gulped and roughly shook his head. Starlight furrowed her brow before turning away, marching straight to her classroom. He watched her disappear behind her door before sighing and making his way back down the busy hallway.


"Why are you asking me that?" Dash inquired defensively, crossing her forehooves in front of her chest.

"Why do you think?" Sky Strike frowned, "Dash, I know you and her never had the best relationship, but we're family and I need to- "

"She's not my family!" Rainbow growled back, "after you left, she practically abandoned me! She married some stupid hot-shot piano player from Canterlot and dumped out two new kids!"

"Piano player?" Sky Strike blinked, "wait... Rainbow, what's his name?"

"I don't know!" Rainbow snorted, "it was something really weird for a pony... was it wolf-something?"

"Wolfgang..." Sky Strike sighed, closing his eyes. He rubbed at his temples with his hooves as if the mere mention of the name gave him a headache.

"Wolfgang?!" Rarity gasped, looking over at Rainbow with a dropped jaw. "Rainbow, your mother is married to one of the most famous pianists of all time! I saw him play at Canterlot a few years ago. He's incredible!"

"Incredibly boring." Rainbow grunted, "my mom invited me to one of his stupid shows. I fell asleep five minutes in."

"Boring?" Twilight frowned, "Rainbow, he has monthly recitals at Canterlot Castle by the request of Princess Celestia herself. He was all the mares could talk about back when I was privately tutored."

"Yeah? Well they need to have their brains checked." Rainbow grumbled in response, glancing over at her father. Sky Strike was deep in thought, gazing out of a window as if there was something important far off into the distance.

"Dad?" Rainbow frowned, "what's with you? Did you know the guy?"

"Well," he scratched the back of his head, "it's sort of a long story... you see, before I married your mother, she was already engaged to Wolfgang."

All the mares, Spike included, let out surprise-filled gasps.

"W-What?!" Rainbow blinked, leaning forward in her chair. "W-What do you mean?! Are you saying you stole mom away from that loser?!"

Sky Strike blinked, "Well, I wouldn't say it was as harsh as-"

"You took Rainbow's mother from one of the most prestigious musicians in all of Equestria?!" Rarity aggressively asked.

"I wouldn't say I took her!" Sky Strike defended, "it was more like-"

"You managed to rip a mare from the grip of an upper class snobby canterlot pony?" Spike smirked before flashing Sky Strike two thumbs up. "Nice!" Twilight swatted him lightly on the head with her tail.

"It wasn't like that at all!" Sky Strike protested, "it's... it's a long story!" The mares all stared at him expectantly, and Sky Strike rolled his eyes with a small sigh.

"It's a bit personal too," he added, "but let's just say that she found that she loved me more than she loved him. We didn't fool around behind his back or anything and it was perfectly understandable. He wasn't a bad lover by any means, so I don't want it to seem like I stole her from him."

"But looks like he got her back in the end..." Rainbow grumbled, "I've only met the guy a few times and he already makes me sick!"

Sky Strike frowned, "Rainbow, he's not that bad of a guy. I admit I felt the same way at first, but looking back he probably was a much better lover than I was."

"Rainbow, you really didn't answer your dad's question," Twilight frowned, "tell us exactly what happened between you and your mother. Starting when Sky Strike disappeared."

Rainbow took a deep breath, "Sure, whatever. Anyways, as soon as you left, things got really hard. We had some money because of your life insurance, but we knew it wouldn't last forever. Mom stopped talking and smiling, and we were starting to run out of bits. Eventually, the Wolfgang guy showed up, and told mom that he would take care of us..." Rainbow hung her head, a scowl on her face. "He paid for mom's college dues and for me up through high school, and after a few years he married her. As soon as I graduated I left, and they moved down to Canterlot. Mom finally got her teaching job at the stupid Canterlot University, and they bought a huge house and had two kids."

Sky Strike smiled, albeit a bit sadly. "Looks like he really did help you guys out..." Sky Strike sighed, "I don't know if I would be able to pay for all that... and two kids, huh?"

"T-That doesn't matter!" Rainbow jumped up from her chair, "I wasn't happy! Mom wasn't happy! She barely smiled at their wedding! What's the point of having everything you ever wanted if you're not happy?" Rainbow shook her head, "I'm going outside to get some fresh air." Sky Strike and the others watched her stomp off, opening and slamming the door behind her.

Outside, Rainbow took in a breath of fresh air. Even with her father back, things weren't better. She knew she shouldn't blame him, but she couldn't help the anger she still had towards him... just remembering that Wolfgang guy made her nauseous.

With a sigh, Rainbow took flight into the air, climbing into the skies until she could see all of Ponyville below. The destruction from the day before was nearly all repaired. Shattered windows had been replaced, broken doors were being fixed, and the stands at the market place were almost all remade. Everypony in Ponyville had pitched in to help.

Rainbow soared over the town, waving back to friendly ponies in the streets. She spotted an ecstatic Scootaloo with the cutie mark crusaders and gave her a brightening smile.

"Rainbow Dash!" a bright and peppy voice called from below, "down here!" Rainbow looked down to see a familiar pink pony jumping up and down in front of Sugarcube Corner. Rainbow took a nosedive, spinning through the air before breaking suddenly, landing calmly in front of her wind blasted friend.

"Wow, Rainbow!" Pinkie exclaimed, "that was awesome like always!"

"Heh, really? I wasn't serious that time." Rainbow Dash grinned, brushing some of her mane from her face. "So what's up, Pinkie?"

"Mr. and Mrs. Cake are out of town so I have to babysit Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake!" Pinkie giggled, "it's been real fun! Want to help?"

"Er, no thanks," Rainbow rubbed the back of her head, "I'm a bit busy. There's been a lot of stuff going on."

"Oh, like your dad suddenly appearing after disappearing for ten years ago?" Pinkie asked.

"Yeah- wait, how do you know that?!" Rainbow blinked, "Wait, forget I asked... I don't think I want to know... but what I do want to know is why you haven't shown up to throw a party yet!"

"Oh!" Pinkie laughed, "that's easy! You see, I'm sure your dad would love to have a pinkie party and make new friends, but he'd probably be super upset if his older friends don't come since they don't know he's back, and I figure that I'll throw it when he meets up with his old friends to let them know that he's back so then it could be a super-awesome fun Pinkie Party where he could make new friends with old friends at the same time!"

Rainbow twitched, "You know, I only caught about twenty percent of that..."

Pinkie giggled again, "I'd tell you again, but I have to go back and check on the twins to make sure they're behaving! See you later, Dash!" Pinkie Pie disappeared in a cloud of smoke, and Rainbow could hear the door of Sugarcube Corner being closed a second later.

"You certainly have interesting friends, kiddo." Sky Strike chuckled behind her. Rainbow jumped a foot in the air in surprise, her tail accidentally flicking her father in the eye.

"D-Dad!" she exclaimed, spinning around. "D-Don't sneak up on me like that!"

"Yeah..." he smirked, rubbing his eye, "I don't think I'll do that again either. So I'm sorry about what happened in the library.. I shouldn't of pried like that."

Rainbow sighed, kicking the dirt with her hoof. "It's fine," she answered, "I'm just... still overwhelmed by everything that's happened, you know?"

Sky Strike nodded, "Yeah, I know the feeling. Our emotions have been running wild since yesterday, huh?" Rainbow nodded in agreement, her eyes still on the dirt street.

Sky Strike suddenly smiled, "But you know what can help make everything better? Flying! And I'm pretty sure that I promised to help you be well on your way to the wonderbolts, right?" Rainbow Dash perked up, a huge grin forming on her lips.

"Of course!" She exclaimed, "can we start now? Please? Please?!"

"Of course, kiddo," he smiled, ruffling his daughter's hair, "but we should get out of town. Our father-daughter combination might be too awesome for the other ponies to handle." Rainbow laughed at his remark and immediately took off into the air, her father right behind her.

"Alright!" she smirked, "then I'll race you to the park!"

"I hope you didn't say race," Sky Strike smiled, "because that would give me an automatic win!"


Sky Strike and Rainbow Dash were lying on their backs in the grass, sweat dropping off their bodies. They panted like dogs, their muscles aching from their long, long practice. The sun was high in the sky when they started, but now it was dipping into the horizon, the moon starting to emerge from its own side of the globe.

"Wow, Dash..." Sky Strike breathed, looking over at his daughter. "You're... a lot better than I thought you'd be."

"Same to you, dad..." Rainbow replied, panting with a wide grin. "You're the first pony I actually had to try to keep up with..." Rainbow sat up, her mane framing her face from the sweat. Her father was glistening as well, his hooves folded behind his head as he gazed up at the scattered clouds above.

"It's what I do, Rainbow." He smiled, "I like to set the bars higher for those I teach, you know? I believe that everypony has unlimited potential- you just have to make them realize it." Rainbow crawled over and laid down beside him, the tops of their heads touching as they watched the orange skies.

"Is that how Spitfire and Soarin became wonderbolts?" Rainbow Dash asked with a gleam in her eye. "I would really like to hear about that since I'm their biggest fan."

"I haven't forgotten," Sky Strike chuckled, "I'm glad your dream never changed. To be honest, I wouldn't say Soarin and Spitfire were my best students."

Rainbow Dash blinked. "Really?" she asked with a frown, "I didn't see that coming at all..."

Sky Strike chuckled, "no, they weren't my best students. They were my favorite students. What they didn't have in skill they made up in willpower and determination... although I have to admit they were pretty good when I first started teaching. I was sure that they would surpass me in a few years, and look at them now."

"Dad," Rainbow Dash looked up at her father, "I'm remember that I asked you a lot time ago but I just want to make sure. You... You used to be a runner-up for the wonderbolts, right?"

Sky Strike chuckled, "I guess that's a way to put it. Yeah, I was at the top of my class at the wonderbolts academy, and when I was old enough I was requested to attend their official tryout based in Canterlot. And that was when I met your mother at the University of Canterlot."

"How'd you meet her at college?" Rainbow blinked, "do you have to study to be a wonderbolt or something?"

"It was a backup plan." Sky Strike shrugged, "if I didn't make the wonderbolts, I would have gone after a career in aerodynamics. Oh, but there is a written wonderbolts test that you should probably study for!"

Rainbow decided to ignore his last remark for now. "So what made you stop?" she frowned, "you could have easily made the wonderbolts or have gotten that degree! What happened?"

Sky Strike gave her a sheepish grin, "Well, I fell in love with your mother and decided to start a family."

Rainbow blinked, pushing her body to sit up. "Wait..." she gazed over at his relaxed form, "are you saying... you gave up your dream of being a wonderbolt and a possible career choice... just because you fell in love with that old hag?..."

"Yep!" Sky Strike nodded, "and I've never regretted it!"

"W-What?!" Rainbow inquired, her shock projecting her voice throughout the park. "How could you just abandon the wonderbolts like that?! You could have been famous, you could have been rich!"

"And let Wolfgang take away your mother, the love of my life, away from me?" Sky Strike chuckled, "no dice, kiddo! If I didn't make that choice you might have never been born."

Rainbow continued to gaze at her father in disbelief. Eventually she shook her head, muttering to herself. "Can't believe it," she grumbled, "I would never give up that chance for anything..."

"That's what I always told myself," Sky Strike stated, "but I ended up giving in. Maybe one day you'll understand, Dashie."

"Hopefully that day never comes," Rainbow Dash said playfully, kicking her father lightly in the head. "Well, I'm ready to head back home. I'm so hungry that even your nasty, healthy vegetable stuff sounds good."

"One more thing before we go," Sky Strike climbed to his hooves, "I... just need to get this off my chest now." He straightened, taking in a deep breath before stretching out his wings.

"Okay..." Rainbow blinked mirroring his movements, "what is it?"

"I've been doing a lot of thinking," Sky Strike stated, "and I think I need to revisit my old friends. Let them know that I'm still alive and well."

"That's cool," Rainbow nodded, copying her father's stretching positions, "where at?"

"Mostly Cloudsdale," Sky Strike grunted, "but I... I also need to visit your mother. And I want you to come with me."

Rainbow Dash fell over onto her face, her teeth chomping down onto a random patch of grass. She immediately pushed herself back up, desperately spitting out the taste of park grass.

"N-No!" she shook her head, "no way! I haven't seen her in years, and I plan on keeping it that way!"

Sky Strike couldn't help but smile, "I knew you'd say something like that. So that's why I prepared a little back up plan."

"No!" Rainbow growled, glaring viciously at her father. "Nothing is going to convince me to go with you to see that devil-mare!"

"Oh?" Sky Strike grinned, "even if the wonderbolts are having their anniversary show on the same day I plan on visiting?"

Rainbow Dash blinked, taking a step back. "You.... you wouldn't...."

"Frankly my dear," Sky Strike smirked devilishly, "I just did."

Author's Note:

There's something that I'd like to ask you guys... there will be two upcoming flashbacks that will be telling the story of how Sky Strike first met Rainbow's mother up to their marriage, and his days of being a flight instructor for Spitfire and Soarin.

These will be at least one to two chapters long, and my question is which one would you rather read first? Sky Strike's first meeting with Starlight to marriage, or when he taught Soarin and Spitfire?

I have written both options into the comments below, and the one that receives the most upvotes wins!

Also, remember to like if you favorite or watch!