• Published 2nd Aug 2013
  • 5,024 Views, 178 Comments

Putting The 'Harm' In Harmony - chief maximus



Rarity has finally secured a fashion show of her very own in Canterlot! The only problem is, by royal decree, she is assigned a bodyguard. Now, she has to split her suite with a character from Rainbow Dash's past she'd rather forget.

  • ...
10
 178
 5,024

Hotline Canterlot

Hotline Canterlot

Is there anything more splendid than a week in Canterlot? Perhaps a world-renowned fashion label buying six of your latest formal wear designs and showcasing them at the annual fashion expo. However, the two aren't mutually exclusive. I should know; both were happening to me! I've been stuck in that stuffy design studio of mine for far too long. I was simply looking for an excuse to take a quick reprieve from the slow-paced life of Ponyville, but I just couldn't justify the cost of a vacation. Believe it or not, there are not that many ponies in my town that are in need of fabulous designer clothing.

This, however, was a business trip as well as a personal vacation. It couldn't have come at a better time. Sure, I'll miss the girls, but if the not-at-all-unexpected going-away party was anything to go by, they would be missing me, too. I would have had Spike come along to help me with my bags, but I was assured by the label that I would have a limo waiting at the train station to take me to the hotel.

Which hotel, you ask? Why, only the most exclusive, fashionable and desirable address besides the palace itself: the Ritz Canterlot! It's hosted kings and queens, princes and princesses, prime ministers and presidents! And now it would host the up-and-coming queen of the fashion world! After my friends saw me off at the train station, I was well on my way.

I had a car all to myself on the train, which I of course needed to bring all my designs and formal wear. After all, a fashion show is not just the singular event of models on runways. It is the pre-party, the after-party, the after-after-party, and of course the meet-and-greets with the heads of the fashion empires looking for the next hot, young designer to catapult into the spotlight. And I will be that hot, young designer.

The train ride was a familiar one. Dull scenery I hardly noticed anymore zipping past as I sipped on the complimentary champagne provided by the label. You would think that as an Element of Harmony, I would get this kind of treatment all the time. Suffice to say the 'but what have you done for me lately?' attitude is much more pervasive that one would think. Anyway, I was beyond ready to check in to the hotel. There is a reason for this, too. The room reserved for me by the label was, in fact, the royal suite. One of only two in the entire city! It had everything anypony could possibly want in a room. It was like a small apartment, complete with two king-size beds. I could sleep in a different bed each night if I wanted. How opulent! It even had a hot tub. Indoors! The very memory is giving me the vapors!

Once my third glass was empty, the train had arrived in Canterlot. The porters removed my bags, and the chauffeur loaded them into the limo. I certainly do not envy the bellhops that had to get those to the top floor. Anyway, I hurried into the limo, and before I knew it, we were off to the hotel. The glamour of downtown Canterlot during fashion week was certainly something to behold. So many well-dressed ponies. And soon they'd be even more well-dressed, because I will have dressed them. Not personally, of course, but you get the idea. The ensemble I wore that day made me easily mistakable for Audrey Hoofburn. I mean, if she wasn't dead. I tilted my sunglasses onto my forehead and marveled at the height of the Canterlot Ritz. It may have been the tallest building in the city besides the palace. International flags of all kinds fluttered in the afternoon breeze outside as the limo pulled beneath the awning. The bellhops hustled to the trunk and loaded my luggage onto the waiting carts.

I approached the front desk, where the employee greeted me warmly. "Welcome to the Ritz Canterlot. Will you be checking in with us this evening?"

"Yes, a room under 'Rarity'.

A quick flip through their log book, and she slid me a polished key in exchange for my signature. But there was a catch. As there always seemed to be...

"Uhm... Ms. Rarity, the financier of your stay has insisted that you have some added security in your room." It sounds innocuous enough doesn't it? Little did I realize...

"Of course. But why? Am I in some sort of danger?" I mean, the fashion world could be fiercely competitive, but generally never on the level of violence.

"Actually ma'am, it was by order of the Princess. Since you are an Element of Harmony, she didn't want to take any chances. Our director of security has been informed of her wishes, and he would be happy to tell you more about the program."

She motioned behind me, and a rather large unicorn stallion in a tasteful blue blazer and matching tie trotted towards me. Not exactly a daring ensemble, and certainly expected for prestigious hotel like this. "I'm Security Director Brinks. Welcome to the Ritz Canterlot, Ms. Rarity. It's an honor to host an Element of Harmony." He raised my hoof in his. I must admit, he was a rather dashing stallion. His dark-brown coat and piercing, green eyes were certainly not working against him. And that voice! Smooth as melted chocolate.

"Thank you, Mr. Brinks. What is this about added security to my room?" I asked, playing down the blush on my cheeks. It was a bit odd that Princess Celestia would care about my security now after sending the girls and me into far more perilous situations. But decrees are decrees.

"At the behest of the Princess, we have taken extra precautions to make sure all of our guests in town for fashion week have nothing to worry about." His tone put me at ease. He certainly knew how to quell a mare's racing heart. "We'll have your own personal bodyguard posted in your room at all times."

That was a little bit unsettling. "In my room? Don't you think that's a bit intrusive?"

He nodded. "Unfortunately, it was by royal decree, so we must insist. However, if you wish for her to remain out of sight while you are in the room, she has been ordered to confine herself to the guest bedroom and only interact with you when it's absolutely necessary."

"Her?" I asked. Not that it was unsual for a female to perform such roles, but it was still not par for the course as far as protection was concerned. After all, the royal guards are almost exclusively male.

"Yes, she is one of the best on staff. She's a new hire, but she set more than a few training records during her orientation." I batted my eyelashes a bit. I'm not ashamed to admit it.

"Well then, if you trust her, I trust her."

"I do. Can I show you to your room?" he asked. Not that he had to.

"Of course." I was admittedly a bit too eager in my reply, but I managed to pull myself back as we got to the elevator. A lady never appears overeager.

"I have a feeling you'll love the royal suite. The housekeepers spend extra time making sure every inch is spotless." The lift quickly whisked us to the fifteenth floor.

"Oh, I'm sure I will."

I recall thinking that perhaps this wouldn't be so bad. After all, it would be a tad inappropriate to put a strange stallion in my room at all times. Perhaps I would grow to like her? Perhaps we would stay friends and exchange letters once I make my millions? Maybe I would even hire her as a regular bodyguard. My mind was aflutter with all the wild possibilities one would consider when one's head begins to swim on free champagne.

As we reached the end of the hallway, the magnificent double doors beckoned me, as if to say, 'Rarity, your home away from home awaits!'

I unlocked the door and stepped inside. It was everything I'd imagined and more. The hot tub in the living room had a marble foundation, the view of Canterlot was simply gorgeous, and not a single speck of dust resided in any corner or crevice.

"Now, time for you to meet your escort for the duration of your stay," Brinks said, reaching into his jacket and retrieving a small bell. After it rang, what entered the living room from the guest bedroom was the stuff of nightmares.

"You've got to be kidding me."


So yeah, I had some pretty hard luck the past few months. For starters, my oldest pal chose her stupid, dweeb new friends over me just because the pink one was being super clingy. I mean, I come all the way from Griflandia to hang out with her, and some chick I don't even know keeps getting in our business, and on top of that, Dash picks them over me!

Whatever, screw her. She was never on my level of flying skill anyway... I didn't need her. I didn't need anyone. I never have. She was just a passing friend, obviously. A passing friend for seven years... Anyway, after I ditched that whole lame Ponyville scene, I decided to head to Canterlot. They say anyone can make it there, as long as you have the guts. And I've got 'em. It was just rough goin' for the first couple of weeks. I held down a few odd jobs, but nothing that could even rent me an apartment in the crappiest part of the city. Maybe they just didn't want to rent to a griffon. It is a city full of ponies, after all. But it might've also had to do with me not having a lot of money. I finally found a place, but it was a wreck. I knew I couldn't stay there long. I've heard of the phrase 'come from nothing', but this was less than nothing. The apartment didn't even have a bathroom.

I searched the want ads every day. I didn't have any higher learning, not that I would have even if I could afford it. College is for nerds. All I had was my flight school diploma. I was getting desperate. I was really considering moving back in with my parents in Griflandia when I ran across an ad for security at the Ritz Canterlot. I'd been by it a few times before. There's a cheap bagel stand on the corner down the street that I've been to a time or two when I'm in the neighborhood. Anyway, the pay wasn't much, and I was about to move on, when I noticed the job offered free room and board.

I wrote down the address, made sure my fur and feathers were clean, and rushed down there. Good thing I was the fastest griffon in this town, or some other jerk might've snatched it out from under me. I got there, and a unicorn guy in a suit explained the job. He said most of the time I'd be living in the guard housing behind the hotel, but when I'm assigned to a V.I.P. I'd get to stay in their suite! How cool was that? Before he gave me the job, he wanted me to demonstrate my fight training. I told him I really didn't have much.

I mean, I could probably hold my own in a scrap, but I've never really had to.

But he said that didn't matter, and that he'd train me himself. I'm not sure how a pony could train a griffon in combat, but he was signing my paycheck, so I didn't ask questions. In about a month, I was the toughest guard there was! Turns out, I'm a natural at not just fighting, but disarming, subduing, and general ass-kicking. Before long, I was getting calls to protect the fanciest of fancy. Ambassadors, celebrities, anyone you could think of with a ton of money that stayed at the hotel was under my watch most of the time. All in all, a pretty sweet gig. Most of the clients were pretty cool. Except for one.

The day I met her started like any other. Exercise at sunrise, then breakfast, then check the schedule to see if a new assignment had come for me yet. I wasn't the only guard at the hotel, after all. I had to leave some work for the other guys. Anyway, I saw I had a new mark and headed to the director's office to get my briefing packet. I thought I recognized the name from somewhere, and the picture looked kind of familiar. I shrugged it off and started to study the floor plans of her room. It had been a while since I had anyone in the royal suite. This chick must've been a high-roller.

Usually we wait outside the room for the V.I.P. to arrive, but this time, they wanted me inside. Kinda weird, but protocol changes all the time, so it was no big deal. I was told to prepare my room and wait for the director's bell. It was kinda degrading to be called by a bell like a cat or something, but whatever, a paycheck's a paycheck.

So, I'm setting up in the room when I hear the bell. I step out of the room, and who do I see but that prissy unicorn from Ponyville. That's where I recognized her! One of Dash's friends she abandoned me for. This assignment was gonna be a bitch. I could already tell.