• Published 15th Nov 2013
  • 1,883 Views, 17 Comments

The Night Claims A Rainbow - CloudWatcher



A nap in a tree sparks a feeling in the daredevil pegasus of Ponyville, Rainbow Dash. She pushes herself on to confront these feelings as she begins to feel she should. Will it work out?

  • ...
6
 17
 1,883

Part 2: Rainbow in the Dark

Author's Note:

So, how about that chapter title? ^.^

Rainbow's wings move at a steady pace as she flies, still covering ground quickly as she continues toward the library once again. Her thoughts change to how Twilight would react, causing Dash to slow to a stop in mid-air. "If I tell her and... she doesn't feel the same about Pinkie... Then I could ruin their friendship... and mine with it..." She changed direction to another place, the one closest to her mind, absentmindedly flying toward Canterlot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Later That Night~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Rainbow Dash! We're supposed to read Daring Do tonight!" Twilight stands below Rainbow's cloud house as the moon had begun to rise in the sky, trying to get her friend outside so they could do what they had planned for tonight. She turns away from the cloud house takes a few steps before she disappears in a purple aura, appearing inside her library and toppling over a pile of books.

"Aaah! Not again!" Spike yells as a large pile of books falls directly on top of him, "Twilight, I just had those organized!" He pushes the books off of him and begins stacking them again, organizing them by name.

"Sorry Spike! I can't aim where I appear, I just appear in the general vicinity of the last place I thought of." She helps him get the books from over top of him and watches him organize them again, reading the titles of every one of them,

"Spike, stop." A title had stuck out to her, a book in her library that she had never seen before? "May I have the book that you're holding? The title of the book was "Dreams and Reality, A Connection Unbreakable".

Spike shrugged an slid it over to her, he gets a motherly kiss on the forehead and stops. "Twilight?" He looks over at Twilight and notices a tear sliding down her cheek.

"Never you mind Spike... I'm fine..." Twilight

He continues to organize and pile the books, which earlier had taken him over a half an hour. This time however, Twilight had helped him and piled half of them with her magic, organizing them as well. After only a few moments, he had finished organizing them and had begun to trudge up the stairs to his bed.

"Spike? If you'd like, I'll bring your bed downstairs, so you won't have to lie alone?" Twilight smiled as her horn began to glow, his bed slowly coming out of the upstairs room and down the stairs surrounded in her purple aura. "Also, your company would be greatly appreciated."

Spike's ear twitches as Twilight begins to talk to him, turning around and walking down the stairs as his bed floats over him. "Well, I wouldn't mind Twilight..." Spike blinked a few times, thinking to himself, 'Is...Is this, really Twilight...?'

Twilight sets his bed next to her and opens the book to the the title page, waiting for Spike, "If you'd like me to read it to you until you sleep-"

Spike interrupts her as he lays in his bed and covers himself with the blanket, "I'll fall asleep without the book Twilight."

Twilight nods, "Yeah, I guess it's not the greatest bedtime story in the world..." She thought to herself, 'I wish you would let me...' Her thoughts kept changing to a certain friend of hers, one that she had always found peculiar and odd. Though, now, they were thoughts of love and romance. 'Why is this happening to me now...?'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rainbow Dash shook her head as she landed in front of Canterlot came into view, "Why did I come here of all places?" She looked at the opened gates to Canterlot and began to walk through the gateway, unable to make up her mind as she the moon reflected off the water of the fountain near the entrance. "Well, I'm here so, why not visit the princesses?" Rainbow nervously continued walking slowly toward the castle and hoping that the princesses were already asleep.

"Rainbow Dash? We are surprised to see you here during my night." Luna had seen her coming from the window of her room, "We are curious, why have you chosen now to visit us?"

Rainbow Dash's facial expression turned to an awkward smile as she turned toward the princess, "P-Princess Luna..." She blushed lightly as she looked over the princess's features. Her calming eyes that were, at this moment, melting her to the core. "Your luscious, beautiful mane..." She blushed deeply as she realized that she had thought out loud, "Oops..."

Now, it was Luna's turn to blush, "We, Aren't quite sure we understand..." Luna shifted her hooves, balancing herself as she stood, watching Dash making the same nervous gestures.

Dash's face turned a bright red as she looked at the Princess, continuously thinking the same thing over and over, 'She's right there... Tell her!' She smiles nervously and begins to speak, "Princess? I-I have to tell you something..." She takes a slight step forward and tries to whisper something, but something in her mind changed as she kissed her on the cheek, turning around and taking off as fast as she could. A rainbow formed behind her as she made her way to Ponyville, trailing several feet before disappearing.

Luna stood there looking at the spot where Dash just was, her jaw hanging slightly agape as she realized what had just happened. "Rainbow... Dash...?"

Dash continued as fast as she could to Ponyville, not looking back even a single time. "Why!? Why did you do that!? She probably thinks you're a freak, or a stalker!" She stops and lowers herself to the ground slowly, tearing up as she thought about what she had just said

Somepony had heard her yelling and came outside, "Darling, What happened? What has gotten you so miserable?" Rarity walks over to her friend and gently runs a hoof through her mane.

Dash looks up at Rarity as she somepony touching her mane, "Hey... Rarity..." She looks back down at the ground starts walking toward Carousel Boutique, "Could I... spend the night...?"

Surprised that her friend had asked to stay over, instead of "tearing her hoof off", as was threatened many times by Dash, she nods. "Certainly Dash, I only have two beds however... One for me and one for Sweetie Belle." She begins walking next to her friend,

Dash looks up at Carousel Boutique and shivers, noticing for the first time, the cold air of the night. "I'll take the couch... I-"

"You most certainly will not. I will not have a dear friend of mine sleep on the couch. You may share my bed with me. It is large enough for us to have enough space. And much more comfortable than a couch." They get to the door and Rarity opens it with a small glint of magic from her horn, "That's peculiar, I left the lights on." She reaches around the door frame and turns on the light, inside of the house stood Luna, smiling serenely at Dash.

Dash walked in and saw Luna, immediately trying to run out the door, which Rarity had just shut when she saw the calm smile.

"Rainbow Dash? We apologize for confronting you tonight. If we had known you felt this, we would have allowed you to visit us inside the castle." Luna bows her head slightly and looks back up at Dash, still holding the smile and a small amount of the blush that Dash had caused. She steps toward Dash and puts a hoof on her shoulder, causing Dash to look up at her, tear trails staining her cheeks. "Why must you cry Rainbow Dash? Have we hurt you?"

Dash takes the chance and stands, embracing the princess tightly in her hooves as the princess begins to speak.

"Rainbow Dash, we would like to ask you... Would you accept us as your..." She looks toward Rarity, "Special Somepony..?" Rarity nods and Luna looks back toward Dash, "Would you accept us as your, Special Somepony...?"

Dash pulls away slightly and looks up at the princess, wide eyed, "You... You're asking me..."