• Published 23rd Apr 2013
  • 4,133 Views, 72 Comments

The Monster In AppleBloom - unicorn92243



There's something wrong with Apple Bloom, she's unhappy, shying away from her friends, and no one can figure out why. Where has the happy filly gone and why did she leave?

  • ...
7
 72
 4,133

8. The Hospital

Chapter 8

The Hospital

“What in tarnation?!” The knife was suddenly knocked away and Apple Bloom looked up with a gasp.

“Apple Jack!”

“What did you think you were doing Apple Bloom?!” Her sister looked both angry and horrified.

“I... I... I just...” Apple Bloom stuttered. What in Equestria could she say?

Apple Jack didn’t wait around for an explanation. The next thing Apple Bloom knew, she was practically being dragged to Dr. Cheery’s office, where her sister explained what she’d caught her doing.

“Apple Bloom, were you trying to kill yourself?” The doctor asked solemnly.

“No! I... I just... well not exactly.” She fidgeted and looked down at the floor. “I’ve been thinking about death a lot, and I just wondered how much it would hurt to cut myself with a knife. It hurt a lot. I didn’t like it.”

“Do you think of hurting yourself a lot, or worse?” Dr. Cheery asked.

Apple Bloom hesitated, glanced at her sister, then nodded. Apple Jack looked like she was trying to hold back tears.



And that was how Apple Bloom found herself in a mental hospital under suicide watch. The doctor had said it was the best thing for her right now. They had gone home, Apple Jack had helped her pack a bag and explain things to the rest of the family, gone to the hospital, filled out paper work, and now here she was, sitting and waiting to be attended to in a hall.

So this is it, Apple Bloom thought. I’m being put away. She started to shake in terror and tears streamed down her face.

“Hey, are you okay?” Another patient asked. She looked up. It was a light brown earth pony with a dark brown mane and tail and a lasso as a cutie mark.

Apple Bloom’s lower lip trembled. She couldn’t talk. She knew if she tried she’d burst out sobbing like a little foal. Luckily at that moment, the nurses fetched her.

They talked soothingly to her and when she’d calmed down, they gave her a check up. Apple Bloom felt rather violated when they went through her things and took some of them away, apparently so she couldn’t hurt herself with them. They even took her hair ribbon! She felt almost naked without it.

After Apple Bloom was settled in her new room, she looked over the schedule they’d given her. There were different kinds of therapy as well as meal times and leisure times. She would also be seeing a different psychiatrist here. It was like they’d planned her whole life out for her here. Apple Bloom wasn’t sure what to think about that.

They allowed her to just settle in that day and she did with a book to read she’d gotten from their book cart that a pony wheeled around and offered to the patients. That night she was given pills to help her sleep. They worked, and for once she was out like a light.

The next day Apple Bloom got more of an idea of what this place was really like. It was mostly therapy, therapy, and more therapy.

She met her new doctor, Dr. Clover, who was a unicorn who was completely white, both coat, mane and tail, with a pill bottle for a cutie mark. She put her on a new medication combo.

She also met her therapist, Dr Paint, who had a paint brush for a cutie mark. She was a cheerful earth pony with a red coat and a yellow mane and tail. One of the therapies she did was art therapy.

There was also music therapy, group therapy, and one on one therapy.

Apple Bloom got the idea that she’d get sick of therapy very soon. At least the food they served here was okay, and they let her keep her diary so that was something at least. She wrote her newest poem that night before bed time.

Have You Ever

Have you ever felt like screaming at the top of your voice,
But instead keep it inside; you feel you’ve got no choice?
Have you ever felt like crying, but instead wear a stiff smile,
When in fact inside you feel like dying all the while?

Have you ever felt the sharpest pain that’s deep as any grief,
That makes you toss and turn at night pleading for some relief?
Have you ever been so jealous that it nearly drives you mad,
Because they have the happiness that you have never had?

Have you ever fought a monster, that you can never find,
Because he hides away within a crevice of your mind?
Have you ever kept a silence no matter if you’re low,
Because you feel the type of thing that they will never know?

Because if you have, my sympathy’s toward you.
For I can say reluctantly, I get it, cause me too.

Author's Note:

Reviews are loved.