• Published 23rd Apr 2013
  • 4,125 Views, 72 Comments

The Monster In AppleBloom - unicorn92243



There's something wrong with Apple Bloom, she's unhappy, shying away from her friends, and no one can figure out why. Where has the happy filly gone and why did she leave?

  • ...
7
 72
 4,125

5. Side Effects

Chapter 5

Side Effects

Apple Bloom dutifully took her pills and was optimistic about her future. Unfortunately there was something that she hadn’t considered.

The pills had side effects. They gave her horrible headaches. The Doctor told her they might go away... but they didn’t. If anything they got worse, so Doctor Ung switched medications. The new pills made her body shake all over. The next pills made her sick to her stomach. Apple Bloom was getting frustrated. She thought the medicine would make her better, not sicker!

Finally however, she was put on two medications at once, and no side effects occurred. Slowly, she started to feel better, less anxious. After three weeks she even started to smile again. This was it! Her life could start again!

Except a few months later, the pills stopped working, and the symptoms started to return. Apple Bloom was depressed, irritable, and snapping at everyone. She also didn’t like her psychiatrist. He picked arguments with her. It was ridiculous!

Finally she told Applejack that she wanted a new doctor. So, she next went to see Doctor Cheery. He was an earth pony with orange fur and a yellow mane and tail, with a magnifying glass as a cutie mark.

This doctor gave her a whole new diagnosis. Manic Depression, also known as Bipolar. This illness caused your moods to swing back and forth... and there was no cure.

Apple Bloom was in denial after she left his office. Depression was one thing, because that could eventually be cured, but this? She was going to be like this for the rest of her life? No! No she didn’t want to believe it!

There were more pills, and more side effects. Some medication didn’t even work at all. Apple Bloom finally dropped out of school because she simply couldn’t concentrate anymore. She was failing all her classes anyway.

Even when some meds did work, it would only be for awhile before the symptoms came back. Apple Bloom felt hopeless. Her family and friends supported her the best that they could, but she felt alone, for they could never truly understand.

She was a prisoner of her own mind, and the monster had the key.