• Published 22nd Apr 2013
  • 18,013 Views, 2,051 Comments

The Tale of Lord Barleycorn - Blue Cultist



The Harvest Family farm is on the brink of financial collapse. Can this 'Lord Barleycorn' really deliver on all his promises?

  • ...
19
 2,051
 18,013

PreviousChapters Next
47. They're an audience.

The Tale of Lord Barleycorn
- - - - - -
Chapter 47: They're an audience.
---

Jack let out a breath as he followed the simple melody he’d been coached through.

Although he couldn’t take his attention off the thing slowly walking up the road, he could feel the palpable fear in his co-conspirator. There was no need to look at her to confirm this, considering Carrot Top had an iron grip on his leg and was shaking like a leaf in a hurricane.

In his peripheral vision he could see the princess and the doctor were faring a little better. The alicorn was doing her best to look like she wasn’t afraid, but the way she was chewing on her lip was clearly not a sign of courage.

As much as Jack didn’t pin himself as a vindictive person, he did feel a twinge of satisfaction upon seeing the doctor standing, slack jawed and utterly dumbfounded. The stubborn old horse had somehow remained utterly ignorant of the ghosts in the area, and now one was marching toward them.

The thing treading along the earthen road was the skeleton of a pony, draped in a tightly clasped cloak of ghost-white fabric that fluttered in the wind. This thin fabric clung to its bones, showing the small bumps and unnatural protrusions of the spine as it walked, ensuring that all who beheld it what this was not some pony in a costume.

In its sockets were eyes should have dwelled were balls of glass that caught and reflected the lantern light in striking flashes as it moved its head from side to side. The skeleton’s bony neck was festooned with once-bright ribbons of green, pink, and yellow in some semblance of a mane. These strips of cloth were now faded and tattered at the ends, and fluttered in the wind like drowsy serpents.

Its steps were slow, and it clattered with the sound of old, dry bones as it stopped its march to regard the old, wooden buildings of Hollow Shades with what Jack could only equate to curiosity.

While Jack was slightly unnerved by this dead thing walking around, there was something about it that just didn’t strike him as frightening. Perhaps it was the species divide, perhaps it was the fact he was getting used to this world full of magic talking horses and it was becoming hard to surprise him. Jack didn’t know, and he didn’t wish to dwell on it.

Regrettably he had to keep both hands on the violin, otherwise he would have made some effort to console his friend. For whatever reason, the spirits had made it seem as if playing was important if not just for his safety, but maybe everyone’s.

The apparition was seemingly still appraising its surroundings, and thus gave Jack a moment to look away from it. The streets were barren, with the citizenry now peeking from the many shop windows that lined the boardwalk. He imagined none of the small equines present had the opportunity or courage to flee all the way home in the dark, especially in the direction the skeleton had approached. Now they were all huddled together for security, too scared to flee out into the dark but secure enough to watch the approaching spook from their hiding place.

"Or perhaps me being up here is giving them some security, as if I can really do anything." Thought Jack as he continued to play.

The ponies at the window pulled back as the shrouded corpse purposefully stepped close to the window of the nearest shop, its flashing, featureless eyes piercing each occupant with its unnatural gaze before it came to the door. Its bare, pale hoof gave a scratch at the door, before which was heard the sound of a heavy bolt being hastily latched.

While Jack may have been continuing to play as the light had suggested, he couldn't help but feel the deafening, fearful silence beyond the range of his violin. The wind had suddenly gone still, the leaves sat motionless in the trees and on the ground, not even a cricket dared to make a sound.

It seemed to Jack like he was the only thing in this bubble of silence with permission to make a sound of any kind.

That's when the skeleton opened its mouth and began to sing. It sang with a voice that was feminine, and shockingly melodic despite lacking everything all the anatomical bits a vocalist would need to perform. Yet despite the clear lack of lips, tongue, lungs, and larynx each word was clear and beautiful as shining crystal. Yet it possessed a sense of weariness and sorrow that only a dead thing could tolerate.

"The Hodening Hoss,
the Marbury Dun,
Old Bone-Face the Deathless am I,
Heavy with foal
Two thousand years,
Bridled with sorrow,
Saddled with fear,
I cantered through pastures
of tremble and quake,
I gallop the track between sleep and awake
Seeking the deep of welcome
And stint for my tears.
Let me in!"

No answer came to this declaration but a silence and the sound of Jack's violin. Another round of the beat came around and it shook its head, and slowly trudged across to the street to another door.

There it scratched at the door with its pale hoof, and sang again;

"The Mare-Headed Queen
The Mari-Lwyd,
I was Mother of all the Herds
Ten thousand years my shining foals,
Bridled with starlight,
Saddled with gold,
I leapt the divide
Between living and dead,
I quickened the year
With a toss of my head,
Seeking the deep of beauty
and never grew old
Let me in! "

The only answer was another fastening of the deadbolt, and the desperate silence that only occurs when someone doesn’t want to be found.

Undeterred, the skeleton walked to the center of the road, moving closer to the stage with every step. The unspoken fear in the ponies on the wooden stage, beneath the shadow of the water tower was palpable. Jack was almost certain he felt the floorboards quivering from the combined trembling of the princess, doctor, and Carrot Top.

---

Just a few days ago, Fluttershy was contentedly sitting down in her cottage, enjoying a nice salad with her Angel bunny nestled against her. A gentle fire crackling away, a warm blanket… and no ghosts.

She’d gotten to see some that looked innocent enough. The lights had been pretty and Lord Barleycorn was a very nice spirit, but she knew there had to be the scary kind of ghosts lurking around and now there was one right outside the door.

Right now; she wanted to be home under her bed with all of her furry friends… and maybe a nice cup of tea, with lots of honey.

She had been one of the first ponies to turn and flee into this shop. If the pile of old quilts she was hiding under was any indication, the local antique shop. They stank of dust and antiquity but Fluttershy felt comforted by the many layers they put between her and the outside world.

Fluttershy lifted her head just enough to peek out of the quilts and looked around the store.

The familiar sight of some of her friends set her heart at ease, at least partially. Rarity was one of the mares trying to remain low enough to not be seen by the skeleton outside but still able to see the vile thing. Granny Smith was there, sitting with what Fluttershy could only describe as excitement. The old mare was giddy as a school filly, and Fluttershy couldn’t understand it one bit. Rainbow Dash was crouching beside her, trying to look brave in front of everypony but Fluttershy could see the frightened quiver in her wings. Fluttershy knew her old friend all too well.

Of course, Fluttershy only knew about the skeleton from the whispers of the other ponies in the shop to be precise. The second the lights had appeared with their warning, she had dove into the nearest building.

But all the quilts in the world weren't going to silence that voice. It seemed to pierce the antique store’s front wall like a knife through paper. While the quilts kept Fluttershy from seeing the phantom, she could hear it as if she was standing out there on the boardwalk. They all could.

Everypony shrank closer to the floor, some ancient self preservation instinct kicking in as strange lights flashed from the window. Fluttershy sank back under the quilts, an unwilling listener to this song.

Yet she couldn’t deny there was a melancholiness to it. A sadness that seemed to creep into her bones like a winter chill. There was magic; a deep, older magic that Fluttershy was sure Twilight would chew off her forehooves to know.

The next verse came, and Fluttershy felt the air in her lungs halt as if nothing would dare contest this sepulchral singer.

"But Mother of Faust, the Mary Mild,
the pregnant Maiden came,
Bursting with Solarius seed
She entered my stable
And cried out her need.
With rope I was dragged
From the birthing straw,
Aching with foal
I was heaved to the door,
Swapping warmth for bitter weather
and birth of a rival creed.
Let me in!"

Try as she might, even with her hooves over her ears Fluttershy had no choice but to hear this song.

The anguish; the begging, pleading desperation clawed at Fluttershy’s heart. This mare, if she was ever a mare, was at her core merely a mother-to-be that had been cast out into the cold when in her most vulnerable state.

In her heart of hearts, she wanted nothing else but to run outside and comfort the singer… but one look out from the quilts allowed Fluttershy to see the thing at the window. She saw the bony face and flashing eyes of the apparition and Fluttershy felt herself unable to breath from fright.

The scratching of a hoof at the door was met with silence, and a deep chasmous moment passed as the thing outside waited for a response.

---

Twilight’s chest was heaving as she fought to control her breathing.

She might in some circumstances have been excited about seeing such a creature, something that at one time may have been a significant figure of Equestrian history. It may even have a historical perspective a learned pony like herself had never heard of before. But normally Twilight was able to move.

The moment Twilight had laid eyes on the skeleton she felt a firm invisible weight lay across her entire body. Whatever this magic’s source, Twilight couldn’t so much as lift her hoof off the stage floor. Even turning her head seemed to be a monumental task she was not prepared for, leaving her stuck facing the direction of the large skeletal pony.

Whatever respite this moment of calm brought to Twilight and the town at large was promptly shattered with the force of a thunderbolt. The skeleton had awaited an answer from outside the antique shop, and when met with prolonged silence it had brought one of its pale, bony forehooves down on the boardwalk with tremendous crash.

The shock rattled the wooden shops and shook a layer of dust from the roofs. Even at this distance the stage shuddered from the power of this angry stamp, and Twilight could see the portion of the boardwalk that had been under that hoof had been reduced to splinters.

The skeleton tossed her ribbon-maned head in a gesture of prideful frustration as she turned from the shop and the fearful ponies within.

So now I am Nightmare,
I am rattling womb,
The Uffington Wraith I've become,

With meaningful, heavy steps the skeleton, this ‘Mari-Lywd’ walked toward the stage, but even that was unnerving to Twilight’s senses. The way it moved was unnatural. Impossible. Somehow with only three casual strides she had cleared the forty or fifty yards from the shop to the base of the stage as if distance, if spatial laws had meant nothing to her at all.

Twilight may have been standing on the stage, but the white-robed specter was tall enough to stand eye level with her. Everything in Twilight’s body told her not to move. Not to blink. Not to even breathe as this thing with its flashing eyes stared into her. If whatever magic wasn’t anchoring her to the stage floor she would have streaked across the sky with speed to rival Rainbow Dash’s fastest flight record.

She didn’t dare move her head, but she could feel the same oh-so-obvious fear radiating off the doctor like heat from a bonfire.

Only Lord Barleycorn and his music seemed to be a beacon of comfort while under this ghost’s glassy stare.

The ‘wraith’ then raised its head, as if it was searching for a particular star in the sky. Its teeth clacking as it now sang with a twinge of fiery bitterness in its soul-wrenching song.

Forced into dark
You've made me a fiend,
Bridled with Shadow
Saddled with Scream…

There was a ‘thwump’ sound and a definite impact on the stage. The barest fraction of her attention was all Twilight could afford to look at its source. The doctor’s knees had clearly given out as he was trying with all his might to seem smaller and pathetic before this skeleton. He was pressed so hard into the wooden stage floor that Twilight swore she saw the boards buckling slightly. His chin was pressed into the floor, ears pinned to the sides of his head, tail curled tight between his legs… and yet despite all this he couldn’t take his eyes away from the ghost.

Just like Twilight.

After seeming to regard Twilight and Cherry for a moment, the ghost let out a hollow, whistling snort before mercifully moving away. It seemed to be continuing its march down the road and out of town. The mournful sadness now again rolling from its empty throat as it continued its song;

From window to window
Traversing the night,
My face in your glass
In a shudder of light,
Seeking that deep of welcome
Befitting a Queen.
Let me in once again,
Let me in!

Those last three words seemed to ring throughout the town like a melancholic howl. With a dramatic toss of its head, the skeletal mare again seemed to traverse the road, almost seeming to vanish into the distance through impossible means. In mere seconds she had disappeared into the creeping ichor of night, leaving only Lord Barleycorn’s violin the sole audible sound in Hollow Shades.

Lord Barleycorn ceased playing, and placed the violin and bow under his armpit. He took the straw hat from his head and placed it over his heart before blowing out a relieved breath, “Well then…”

Twilight looked back at him, her knees feeling sore from being held so rigidly for so long.

The scarecrow let out a chuckle, “How on earth do I follow an act like that?”

Maybe it was just how nervous she still was, but Twilight laughed. She continued laughing even after she sank to her knees. Whatever weight had been exerted on her was gone, freeing her to move. Relief poured forth from the depths of her heart, and she eagerly welcomed the sleeved arm of Lord Barleycorn on her back as he sat next to her on the stage.

After a few minutes Twilight managed to collect herself. Eventually she rose up to a sitting position; the heavy scent of hay in Lord Barleycorn’s clothing had been strangely comforting. On the other side of the scarecrow sat the Rag Pony, who was delighting in having her ear massaged by that dusty sleeve. Twilight wasn’t sure why the Rag Pony liked it, but she certainly seemed to be far more relaxed than before.

The sudden motion of the scarecrow’s straw hat drew Twilight’s attention, and together the pair saw the doctor--still frozen on the spot. His red fur looked several shades lighter than before, and he hardly seemed to be breathing as he stared intensely down the road the skeleton had retreated.

In Twilight’s firm opinion, it looked like Dr. Nova was still searching for even the remotest chance of the ‘Mari-Lwyd’s’ possible return.

Ponies were already peering out the windows of the buildings, and the braver souls among them were timidly emerging from whatever safe place they had thrown themselves. It was like the entire town was heaving a sigh of relief as it began to dawn on the local equine population that the rhetorical storm had passed.

A sudden jerk of the scarecrow’s arm made Twilight jolt up in surprise. She quickly flashed the Lord of Autumn a quick and very embarrassed smile of apology before stepping away from him.

Lord Barleycorn gave her a passing nod of acknowledgement before turning to the rag pony, who had been tugging at his arm.

The bottom seemed to fall out of Twilight’s stomach as the spirit pony shakily gestured toward the water tower. Something new stood in that rusting hulk’s massive shadow. It was fairly equine in shape but lacked substance and form, like a desert mirage on the horizon. Twilight held still, fearing this might be another bitter, angry spirit like the Mari-Lwyd. Already her imagination began to spiral out of control as she spied another hazy figure that seemed to appear next to the first, then another, and another.

They were like smoke that was desperately trying to will themselves into the shapes of ponies. The first had appeared from the shadow of the water tower but they soon began to emerge from every shadow, walking toward the stage on legs that bent and shifted in the night air.

These new arrivals may not have conjured up such primal fear as the Mari-Lywd or the Black Goat, but nevertheless Twilight shrank away from the edge of the stage. Her measured retreat was suddenly halted when she bumped her flank into something. This time a startled yelp got past her lips, and she quickly clamped her mouth shut for fear of invoking an unwelcome response from these spirits.

A quick glance behind her showed that what she had bumped into was the rag pony, who had awkwardly put Lord Barleycorn between her and the approaching smoke-ponies.

Mercifully, the spirits ceased their advancement, standing in pairs before the stage as they stared with nonexistent eyes.

“What are they?” Twilight asked, hopeful that the scarecrow had a comforting answer.

“Isn’t it obvious?” The scarecrow chuckled as he placed the violin under his chin, “They’re an audience.”

Twilight’s mouth fell open, “Another song? After what the entire town just went through?

As incredulous as it may have been to Twilight, Lord Barleycorn began another song. But while the previous one had been simple and morose, this one was energetic and complex. The rag pony backed away as he began to move about the stage, and as one the smoke-like ghosts seemed to follow him as the song swelled and began to fill that awful silence.

Then these new ghosts began to dance.

It was like nothing Twilight had ever seen. These billowing clouds in equine form broke off in pairs, forming a rough square as they moved in ways that Twilight could only describe as a dance in rough terms. They moved, but in ways that were entirely unnatural; their legs drifted through each other, allowing for movements that left Twilight amazed. They would prance, then effortlessly shift to bounding or spinning, often floating up into the air like a rising cloud only to come right back down and continue moving with their partner.

These new spirits had presented such a bizarre sight that Twilight nearly missed the unmistakable sound of a second violin.

Twilight closed her eyes and rubbed her face with her hooves. When her vision returned she saw the unmistakable sight of Lord Barleycorn’s shadow dancing independently of him. Its own violin turned what was a solo into a duet as the song ramped up.

Ponies from the shop were growing more bold and were slowly inching their way along the boardwalk, curious about this strange troupe of dancing shapes. Foals especially were curious to see these enigmatic smoke ponies as they spun and cavorted in ways that no mortal body could replicate, yet always held some semblance of equinity in their stance and motion.

For Twilight, she had stopped trying to analyze it all. The skeleton, the ‘Mari-Lywd’ as she called herself, had been terrifying in a deep, primal way but nothing about this absolutely bizarre spectacle struck in the same fashion.

Perhaps it was the utter lack of fear Lord Barleycorn showed, or the mischievous song that sprang from the violin but Twilight found herself actually starting to enjoy this performance.

The song was short, ending with a flutter of notes that brought the small army of smoke ponies to a halt. They seemed to bow to each other, then to the performer. The shadow at Lord Barleycorn’s feet returned to its rightful mirroring of his movements, whatever magic he had used was over.

The throng of onlookers had reached what seemed to be their limit. The ponies were still keeping their distance, many of whom crossing their legs in reverent respect but would come no closer.

As one, each of these black clouds of smoke looked at different members of the gathered crowd. Many ponies shrank back a few steps but these ghostly visitors all lifted a hoof and gestured to one point: The earthen crock.

Lord Barleycorn gave a tip of his hat, and a sudden gust of wind rose up. The multitude of otherworldly dancers were instantly scattered like ashes in the wind, leaving not even marks in the dirt as evidence they had ever existed.

All save one.

Twilight hadn’t seen any of them actually get on the stage. It simply was there. It had been approaching Lord Barleycorn only to take notice of the rag pony behind him. To Twilight it seemed to look between scarecrow and field spirit, then lift a wispy hoof to its muzzle and silently chuckle.

This brief exchange seemed to be the last of its time, and like the others this final spirit was whisked away by some unseen hand.

And with that, it was over. As if some enchantment had been broken the sounds of crickets and other night creatures could be heard. The wind in the trees shuffled quietly and the leaves rustled tiredly.

“And with that, Ms. Sparkle,” Lord Barleycorn said, “My performance ends.”

“That… that was… I…” Twilight fumbled with her words, not sure what he wanted her to say after everything she’d seen and heard, “I mean…”

“What I mean, Princess,” Twilight felt a weight in that word as he spoke, “It’s time you took the stage.”

A newborn foal could have pushed Twilight over in that moment, “Wha-what do you-”

Lord Barleycorn placed his hands on his hips, looking a little annoyed, “Twilight Sparkle, I’m surprised at you. I’ve been up here performing for the ponies of Hollow Shades and no less than two unexpected visitors. You’ve had all the time to prepare that I could provide and you still insist on delaying? It’s time for you to perform the ritual you prepared. I would hope you wouldn’t want to be known for wasted expectations.”

The implication of what displeasing the spirits could mean hit Twilight like a brick, and rather than run or fly back to collect everything, she wove the most powerful teleportation spell she knew. She did it so fast she didn’t realize she had broken her old record in constructing such a complicated spell until she had climbed into the patchwork costume Rarity had begrudgingly made for her.

Lord Barleycorn cleared his throat, catching her attention, “Take your time to organize yourself, and relax, I need to do something first.”

Twilight paused as she was arranging the items she needed to go through the ceremony. She should have been pleased that she had managed to successfully teleport so much at once, but she was more interested in what the Lord of Autumn would do next.

The scarecrow left the violin on the floor before he approached the edge of the stage, arms out in as if to welcome the residents back to their own town.

“You needn’t fear, friends.” He said, “You’ve experienced sights and sounds from the other side, something that nopony’s seen in generations. Halloween is fast approaching, the veil is thinner than ever before and as you have seen spirits now can walk where you can see and hear them. By this night tomorrow even grander things may happen.”

“Darn tootin!” Came the familiar voice of Granny Smith.

Twilight had known the ancient mare for only a year but she had come to know her as a rustic whose eccentricities were often mistaken for mere senility. Yet here, while everypony around her seemed uneasy, it looked like the old mare had won the lottery. Her smile was bright and wide, and although she still walked with a hobble there was a clear spring in her step.

“Ah ain’t never seen nothin’ like that in all mah life! Ta’ think Ah’d git a chance to see the Mari-Lywd of all things!” The old nag barked out a laugh, “Ah was so excited Ah didn’t remember Ah was supposed to sing the ol’ countersong back to her!”

A countersong? Some ritual words could have made that… that wraith go away?” Twilight hastily made a note to question Granny Smith later, resolving to not overlook any old scrap of native lore the old mare knew.

“Ah, one who knows the old ways.” Lord Barleycorn nodded, “If you will humor us with but a moment, our esteemed princess Twilight will perform a ritual she’s created to honor the wandering spirits that call both this forest and this town home. A rehearsal of sorts.”

Twilight had only finished arranging the candles on the stage in technically correct alignment in the cardinal directions. If she had something better than a compass to guide her to measure the stars she might have gotten it exactly right but time was not on her side.

“While she prepares, I would ask to give of yourselves. A donation however small could help such a little filly get the care she needs.”

Twilight paused. In all the excitement that little filly’s condition had been completely swept aside. She pursed her lips, focusing on the task at hoof. Still, she renewed her promise to herself to slip word to the princesses about the state of this town and help the ponies, in some subtle way.

The sound of several heavy ‘plinks’ caused the breath to escape from Twilight’s lungs, and fearing she had another ghost looking over her withers she spun to face the noise. Instead what she found was Granny Smith emptying the contents of her coin purse into the earthen crock. Behind her were several now-familiar faces, residents of Hollow Shades ready to follow suit with a few bits in hoof or mouth.

Twilight sat in her costume, watching as a line began to form.

That’s when she noticed Cherry Nova tug on Lord Barleycorn’s pant leg.

With a scowl on his face, the doctor said, “Fine… I’ll do it.”

---
To be continued…
---

Author's Note:

Figured you all could use a chapter, so here it. I hadn't finished proof reading it but I did promise it relatively soon after my blog.

Mari Lwyd
Music and Performance by Chris Wood. Lyrics by Hugh Lupton

Shadows
Music and Performance by Lindsey Stirling

I know Faust tends to get a deific position in fics here, but I just wanna say I'm not exactly comfortable putting Faust in the place of the Virgin Mary. I'm not a religious man, but I felt the need to put this here. I doubt she'd be comfortable with it either.

And if you were unsure how to pronounce 'Lywd' its the same as 'Lloyd.'

PreviousChapters Next