• Published 24th Apr 2013
  • 3,092 Views, 112 Comments

The True Story of Vanilla Beam - VanillaBeam



The story of how the smallest pony started on his big adventure, and made bigger friends.

  • ...
4
 112
 3,092

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I rode in that train car for about 3 days, eating a steady diet of beans in a can with the other hobos in there. I hate beans, but I needed to, well, not die, so I did what I could. Everywhere we stopped, I scanned the city it took me to. One city was to noisy and full of trash. Another city was to sophisticated for my taste. Oh, and we even went to a place where there were no ponies at all, just these weird looking, bird.... lion.... things. GRIFFONS! That's what they were called. Either way, I was having no luck in finding a good, new home. I was loosing hope.

Finally, I found a place decent enough, it was a place that seemed to have a lot of color, character, and all around good feeling to it at first glance, and second, and third. I hopped out of the cart, and looked at my surroundings. I wanted to find out the name of this town. I trotted over to a who was tending to some roses.

"E-Excuse me, miss?" I asked her. She turned to acknowledge me.

"Yes?" she asked.

"I'm sorry to bother you. I'm new in town. What is the name of this town?"

"Oh, my apologies. I'm Rose Luck. Welcome to Ponyville."

Ponyville. I heard about this place from my parents. This is the city right underneath Canterlot, the main city of Equestria. Geography class helps too. Anyway, after I took a quick stroll around town, and getting a huge gasp out of one Pink pony and scaring her off (I knew that there was something wrong with me), I set off to find a place for work.

As I said before, I was a total screw up. I got a job at a pottery, and broke nearly every pot in the place. I got a job at the bakery, and almost set the place on fire. I cried for hours after that because it reminded me of home. Anyway, I even got a job at Rose Luck's florist shop. After about 2 weeks..... all of the roses died.......... I kinda gave them less water and more sunlight. Rose was not happy at all. In fact, everyone in Ponyville turned on me, and wouldn't let me do anything affiliated with them. I felt so much like an outcast. I pretty much isolated myself under a bridge over a shallow stream. It's a beautiful place to sit, and has a great view of the sunset. I considered that my home away from home for a few years. Also being no one wanted me around them for that long.

One day, I was fortunate enough to see one of the most beautiful sights I ever saw. There was a huge explosion, followed by a huge rainbow covering the sky. It was honestly the most amazing sight I ever saw, and I was in the middle of it. I just wished my parents could see this, they would've loved it. I would just wished I could share moments like this with someone, instead of being alone because I'm a total clutz.

I wish I could be helpful for someone, just once.

That was when he came. He trotted up from behind me, and I didn't notice him until I turned around and he was right in front of me. I jumped, causing him to jump as well.

"Oh, forgive me. I didn't mean to frighten you." he said. He had a kind of regal accent to him. Almost kind of a Canterlot accent. He didn't look to be from Canterlot though. He didn't have nice clothes, like the others I saw from the train. The only thing he had was a cane. He was a sort of blackish color, with a blue mane. But what really stook out to me was his cutie mark. It was his cane. Why would he have a cane for a cutie mark?

"My name is Hexyl. May I ask of yours?" he asked.

"I'm Vanilla, Vanilla Beam."

"I've seen you here a lot Vanilla. I've also seen what happens to you in Ponyville. You don't seem appreciated, you cause chaos everywhere you go, and you can't seem to help anypony at all, is that so?"

"Y-Yes, that seems to be everything to a tee." I replied. It didn't really make me feel any better, if not worse.

"Well, I know we are literally are just meeting, but would you like to help me with something?" he asked.

"I honestly think it would be a bad idea. You said you watched me in town, I'm too clumsy and irresponsible. I can't help anypony."

"What I would want you to help me with would not be difficult at all. What do you say?"

I thought about it for a bit. I didn't want to wreck anything else for anypony. But then I remembered what my parents said to me, to take my "mind, heart, and spirit". I sucked it up, and agreed to help. I just didn't know by doing that, I signed a waver, and my life would forever be changed.