• Published 8th May 2013
  • 2,028 Views, 15 Comments

Swimming - Xenonic



"...Swimming? Everypony can swim, Caramel. Why do ya look so nervous?"

  • ...
11
 15
 2,028

Is easy, right?


A young, 20-ish man named Caramel woke up, his hair a disaster and the covers of his bed presently residing in a ball on the floor. As usual. Said covers were decorated with small apple motifs which had almost faded away, but Caramel couldn't bring himself to replace them or, at the very least, buy some newer ones - a) because he'd had them since he was a small boy and if anyone were to catch a full-grown man such as himself buying bed covers for a child he'd never live it down, and b), because they reminded him of - *sigh!* - his...his...oh! His boyfriend!

Caramel blushed profusely and smiled shyly. He still turned red at even the very thought, but that was only because he was shy. Even better to have a guy like Big Macintosh, since the two were both so very quiet. At first it had been rather awkward, but then they had learned how to fill the silences with light conversation, cuddles - another blush - and, eventually, kisses. Among other things...

He sighed happily and tumbled off the bed, falling face-first in a pile of duvet, and quickly got up. As much as he wanted to spend the whole day thinking about the fun and laughter they'd had together, he had things to do, like, for starters, actually getting out of his bedroom.


Caramel stood in the kitchen of his small Ponyville home and stared blankly at the pot of stew in front of him, one tan hand resting against his chin and the other tucked into the pocket of his much-too-long apron.

"This can't be right," he muttered, "it's more soup than stew. I can practically-no I can see the bottom of the pan! Why do I bother..."

Still muttering, he plucked the phone from its holder on the wall and dialed Mac's number.

"Pick up the phone, pick up- oh, hello?"

"Hiya! Izzat Caramel callin'?" It was Applebloom.

"Yup."

"Then, Ah'm guessin' y'all wanna talk ta Mac?"

"Yup."

"Ya know, if ya keep sayin' that ya might turn into Mac 'imself - Hello?" Mac swiped the phone from Applebloom's hands.

"Oh, hey Mac!" Caramel's tone changed immediately.

"Anythin' Ah can help ya with, Mel?"

"Well, you see, I was just cooking some stew, but it's really, er, quite see-through at the moment...It's like water."

Mac chuckled. Trust someone like Caramel to mess up a simple stew - he remembered the time he'd come to his house for dinner. A huge mistake, they'd ended up calling for pizza, but Mac wouldn't want Caramel any other way. He suggested that maybe some flour would thicken up the stew. Caramel thanked him and went to put the phone down, but Mac stopped him.

"Uh, Mel, wait. Ah was meanin' to talk to ya."

"Oh? What about?"

"Well, at the farm business has been good lately, an' Applejack suggested that maybe Ah should take ya somewhere nice for th' summer." Applejack would, he thought. That crazy orange sister of his, Mac had found at the start of his relationship with Caramel, was quite the teenage girl at heart. She'd followed them around for about a week, though her friend Rarity had tried to drag her away, insisting that she give them some privacy.

"..Oh! That sounds really nice!"

"So, ya would be up for it then?"

"Yeah...um, yes!"

Mac grinned.

"That's good, then, 'cus Ah've already booked a place."

"Oh." The tan one's voice dropped.

"We leave in a week."

"Uh-huh."

"And we'll be stayin' in a nice little hotel in Baltimare."

"Okay."

Caramel stood, staring out of the window, dazed.

"...Is somethin' wrong, Mel? Ah mean, Ah can always book another place if ya want me to."

He snapped out of his trance, realizing how uninterested he'd just sounded.

"Er-r no! No, it's f-fine, honest, I just...I mean...with you, but I...um, thanks. I love it..." He trailed off quietly, a small blush gracing his cheeks.

"Alright then. We'll be stayin' there for a week, and the room's got a nice view o' the beach, so we might be able ta go swimmin' if the weather's nice enough. I'll be goin', then. Love ya, bye!"

A dead tone sounded from the phone, and slowly Caramel put it down. Flashes of the conversation they'd just had danced around in his mind. Nice view of the beach. Might be able to go swimming. Near the sea...near the water. His face drained of color.

Mac has said they might go swimming. In the sea. In water...


Sassaflash awoke to find herself balanced precariously on the diving board in the pool in her garden, wearing a dangerously low number of clothes and all of 2 inches away from tumbling into the water below. Slowly, she oh-so-carefully shifted onto her stomach and gripped the board with both of her turquoise hands, and shimmied rather ungracefully backwards, until her feet met the metal rungs of the ladder and she was able to climb down to safety. She knew from numerous past experiences that it never did any good to try flying in a morning - not when you had a headache like this and could barely feel your wings, let alone use them.

Just when she was about to open her back door (thank heavens it was unlocked) and was seemingly safe from any sort of ridicule, she heard a voice behind her.

"Nice plot."

Turning sharply behind her, Sassaflash saw her boyfriend Thunderlane lying on a deckchair in the corner of her garden, wearing sunglasses and an open light blue Hawaiian shirt, topped off with grey shorts and flip flops, his dark grey wings spread either side of him. She blushed heavily and quickly looked down to see that she was wearing the shortest, tightest pair of shorts she owned. Of course. Then the pounding in her head came back and she dropped to her knees with a jerk.

"Oooh...how much did I drink last night?" Sassa's voice sounded like a bag of rocks in a tumble dryer and her throat felt as smooth as sandpaper.

"I don't know. You passed out before I got to ask. Lucky that everyone went home before I found you, huh? But, oh what a shame that they missed out on - well, that." He pointed to her butt, barely bothering to conceal the amused smirk on his face. "Seemed like the party was a success, though." He lay back a little further and put his hands behind his head, focusing on soaking up the rays.

Sassaflash was about to question what the party was even for, but then she felt it trickle slowly back into her brain. Thunderlane watched his girlfriend as she sat there with a rather cute, dozed expression on her face. It had been their friend Noteworthy's 25th birthday, and they celebrated with a large party and plenty of booze. Thunderlane still didn't know how the normally cautious musician had managed to stay, no less fall asleep, on one of the white-painted rafters in their tall house. Even with someone to lift him up, only pegasi could get up there. Someone must have flown him up - and he had seen Blossomforth leave with her lipstick smudged. Nice catch, he thought.

"How can you not be hungover? Last thing I remember was you doing shots with Noteworthy - you looked completely smashed!" She stumbled to her feet again.

"Well, either Noteworthy's a lightweight, which he is, or I was less smashed than you, which I was. It doesn't matter." He got up and hugged Sassaflash gently, burying his face in her blue wings and nuzzling them gently. "Morning, Sassy." Thunderlane said with a smile in his voice. All of the emotions between them evaporated and instead were replaced with a single fuzzy feeling.

"Morning."

"What are your plans for today? Gonna keep wearing those lovely, lovely shorts of yours?" He pulled back slightly, still smiling.

"Maybe I would if it was just you and me, but I've got some shopping to do." Thunderlane groaned. "Still - maybe later." This time she adopted a sultry expression, before licking his nose and announcing she was going to take a shower. He stood, dismayed for a moment, before smiling fondly.


"So, let me get this straight."

"Uh..."

Two people stood still among an ever flowing gush of others trying to get at the bargains of the day. They stood there, in the middle of the market, one getting increasingly confused and the other increasingly nervous.

"You booked a holiday..." the blue one took a step forward, wings flaring slightly.

"In Baltimare, seaside city of paradise..." Meanwhile, the other person - red in color - nervously stepped back slightly. He wasn't easily intimidated, but in this case he made an exception. The rather irate-looking woman stood before him had a knack of shattering the most resolute of people, him especially. She knew exactly where to push and how hard to make him uncomfortable, knew all of his weak spots. How, he'd never know.

"With no regard whatsoever as to Caramel's deathly fear of water?!" Sassaflash took a larger step forward, one of her hands on her hip and the other poking Mac in the chest, with a shopping bag. To an outsider it would have been comical, such a small woman weighed down with several shopping bags intimidating the tallest guy around for miles, but to Mac, it was scary.

Very, very scary. He opened one eye with tremendous courage and immediately closed it again. She was staring straight at him with those fierce orange eyes, and he was sure that if he opened his eyes now, he would see them staring into his soul.

"Ah...ah didn't know...he neva said he didn't like th' water!" Mac tried, opening his eyes just a teeny weeny bit.

She stepped back. "You didn't know...huh...when do you leave?" Her attitude changed so quickly from beyond angry to completely calm, Mac wondered if it had all been a guise. But then again, he reminded himself that Sassaflash was very protective of Caramel, almost motherly. To her, Caramel was as close as the brother she had never had.

Mac stood up straight again, internally sighing that she wasn't about to burn his house down, and replied that they would leave in a week.

"A week, huh...well, you know there's only one thing for it."

"...An' what would that be?"

"I'll have to teach him."

"Pardon'? For a second there Ah thought you said that-"

"I'll teach him, yes."

"Wha-? Bu-"

"Over the holidays I teach kids to swim at the local pool, and you won't find anyone else who he'll be comfortable with, nor will you be able to book anyone, and I'll do it for free, so why not? You leave in a week. I've taught hundreds of kids to swim. Caramel shouldn't be a problem at all."


Author's Note:

Best way to cure British weather and try to get in a summery mood? Write a summery fic!
Baltimare is near the sea. Sea?
I'm so punny.
I honestly cannot remember where this came from, but it stuck, obviously. Leave a like, please favorite (it means a lot) and maybe hit that stalk button? And forward slash or leave a comment telling me what you thought?