• Published 16th May 2013
  • 6,622 Views, 417 Comments

The Music of Ponyville - GrassAndClouds2



Octavia Philharmonica and her friends must obtain the Elements of Harmony to defeat an ancient evil

  • ...
8
 417
 6,622

Interlude: Own the World

"THOU SHALT TASTE MINE JUSTICE!"

Burning Sun's entire body blazed, fire and flame shooting off of her and licking the clouds above her head. She ignored them. just as she ignored all other matters of insignificance. The charred, grass under her hooves, for example, or the sluggish river a hundred feet to her right, or the cowering ponies in the town directly in front of her.

"As if." Nightmare Moon stood atop the city gates, a thick black cloud streaming forth from her mane and floating high into the sky. "Want to try again? I almost felt that one."

"IF THOU REJECT MINE MERCY... THEN THOU MUST DIE," thundered Burning Sun. She still could not believe the impudence and treason of her sister. The nation was hers by right; she could lead it best and she was eldest anyway; that her sister wouldn't back down... that her sister had even turned to dark, forbidden magics to resist her... was depravity of unimaginable proportions. She needed to be punished, and the harsher, the better.

The gates of the town opened up, two dozen commoners marching out. Their eyes were completely black, and their steps were far too even for a ragged mob of civilians -- some of Nightmare Moon's brainwashed zombies, then. Burning Sun sneered. Did her sister really think that throwing a few petty poinies in front of her would accomplish anything? "PATHETIC!"

"We'll see," hissed Nightmare Moon. "Attack!"

The ponies charged at Burning Sun, who calmly raised a wall of fire to intercept them. The ponies would march into it -- their just desserts for being so weak as to wind up as the corrupt servitors of her depraved sibling -- and that would be the end of that tactic. But every spell her sister cast further weakened her; Burning Sun had more magical strength than any rival and she knew it. She just had to wear her sister down--

"Stop!"

No ponies had charged into Burning Sun's fire, and she frowned and lowered the flames a little so she could see what was going on beyond the wall. The ponies were standing there, eyes suddenly much clearer, and covered by a faint, shaking -- but still doggedly present -- glow. Burning Sun's eyes narrowed. That damn golem...

"Run!" yelled Cadance, materializing from a nearby copse of trees. Nightmare Moon lashed out at the civilians with tendrils of black magic, but Cadance's shield intercepted and blocked them, though it shuddered several times in doing so. This seemed to jar the ponies out of their stupor and they took off at a dead run, scurrying over the nearest hill and vanishing from sight.

"No matter," drawled Nightmare Moon. "Plenty more where those came from."

Burning Sun frowned as she looked at the golem. Her coat was torn, her legs were bloodied, her face showed total exhaustion -- but still she came forward, constantly spoiling the attacks of her and her sister alike. That wasn't right or proper. In fact, it was -- in its own way -- a treason akin to her sister's. A glorified mover of planetary bodies! How dare she interfere like this? "FOR THE LAST TIME, GOLEM, I ORDER THEE TO STAND ASIDE!"

"No!" Cadance's voice was weak, but she managed to keep it steady. "I won't let you hurt my ponies!"

"If you help me--" began Nightmare Moon, hopping off the gate and approaching her sister.

"I won't let either of you hurt them!" Cadance's voice became pleading. "Can't you make peace? Give up this feud, I beg you." She lowered her head. "You both say you want to help the common pony. Can't you see how much damage you're doing?"

"Regrettable necessity," said Nightmare Moon. "My sister is a tyrant, insane beyond control. She must be defeated--"

"DEPRAVED TREASONOUS WRETCH!" roared Burning Sun. "THOU DESCRIBEST THINESELF!"

"If you must fight -- at least fight somewhere else!" begged Cadance. "Go to some deserted steppe, or desolate island or some other place away from innocents you could hurt!"

"Oh, I'd love to," said Nightmare Moon. "But the moment I did, my sister would take over the country and burn all that opposed her. I dare not leave for a moment."

"SHOULD I LEAVE," thundered the other mare, "MINE SISTER WOULD CORRUPT THE NATION IN HOURS! I SHALT NOT LEAVE WITHOUT HER HEAD!"

Cadance bowed her head low and said nothing.

"Now, golem," said Nightmare Moon. "I appreciate a good challenge as much as the next mare, but really, you're just getting... annoying at this point. If you keep interfering, you have to know what will happen."

"I know," said Cadance.

"Now, nopony's saying you didn't try hard," continued the Tyrant of the Night. "Truly a remarkable job of helping the common pony. When you stopped that star from smashing into Trottingham, it was truly a heroic act." She grinned in mockery. "I think we all agree you've given it your best shot. You can stop now. If you don't..." She shrugged. "Eventually, one of us is going to unmake you."

"I know," repeated Cadance. "And I don't care." When she raised her head again, her eyes blazed. "I will fight to the death if need be to rescue even the smallest pony of my country from your insanity."

"Your country?" repeated Nightmare Moon, the words a barely controlled laugh. "You're a golem! No more alive than a lever or gear. This isn't your country. It is mine!"

"NO!" roared Burning Sun, her flames stretching even higher and breaking up the clouds. "IT IS MINE!"

The three alicorns, Cadance standing directly between the other two, stared at each other for a moment. And then, her voice heavy and low but firm as steel, Cadance began to sing:

"Your hearts are screaming emptiness.
Magic fills the air.
Could leave me lying on the floor
Could leave me dying here."

Nightmare Moon laughed, soaring high into the air and flipping over the golem. "So you've grown a bit in the last thousand years, I see. You can even sing now." She chuckled. "Well, I know a few verses too. Sister! Your end is NIGH!" And she launched a wave of pure emptiness at the Burning Sun.

The white-coated alicorn just barely managed to dodge, the emptiness striking the ground and simply wiping it out of existence to a depth of thirty feet. Meanwhile, Nightmare Moon sang:

"I creep through hills and trenches
I stand behind each door
Your blood & sweat & water
Sinks into the crashing shore."

She cackled and stretched out one leg in mockery.

"Take... my... hoof -- it's my world!
See... the... proof -- I'll make it real!" Waves of black emptiness and dark energy swept out from her in all direction. Burning Sun's flames blocked them from touching her; Cadance's fading magic diverted them from the town; the rest eliminated boulders, trees, grass, and earth in an eyeblink.
"Come... with... me -- in my world!
ALL... OF... THIS -- is MY WORLD!"

Burning Sun's flames reached higher, forming into tendrils. One wrapped around Nightmare Moon's leg and dragged her down with an awkward squawk; she slammed into the ground hard enough to rend it asunder and bury her feet deep. The Sun laughed, a long and mad sound.

"Sun fire rising higher!
It breaks across all lines!
Thoust debt to pay and thou payst all day --
Because that fire's mine!"

The flames flared up, and then stopped, bent back, and seemed to fold into her body... which began to grow. Cadance could only watch as the tyrant swelled in size, her skin and coat rippling as the fire contracted inside it, until the alicorn was at least thirty feet tall. She extended a hoof the size of a redwood, planting it over the lip of the hole her sister was climbing out of.

"Take... my... hoof -- it's my world!
See... the... proof -- I'll make it real!" She casually tossed a single flick of fire from her mane; it hit the ground, exploded, and raised up dirt in a fifty-foot spout.
"Come... with... me -- in my world!
ALL... OF... THIS -- is MY WORLD!"

Cadance backed up. She felt terrified. She had tried to rule the nation well; she thought she had done a good job; but she simply didn't have anywhere near enough power to deal with her creators. Even the very sky itself had been rent asunder; no stars remained, with some having been consumed by the sun (which had grown and now seemed to fill the entire western horizon) and others thrown to earth by Nightmare Moon. Above Cadance was just a cold, imperious moon, a ravenous sun, and empty void. Nothing else.

The golem had to force herself not to collapse in despair. There wasn't much more she could do to protect her charges, and there was nothing whatsoever she could do if the two stopped fighting each other and attacked her. She would be unmade -- it was as simple as that. She needed to run. And hide.

She sang, softly:

"The course is moving closer.
I can taste the end here now...
I feel the heavens shaking
With alicorns dropping down!"

As Nightmare Moon teleported out of the hole and the two alicorns began again to launch powerful attacks at each other once again, Cadance heard a faint sound. Turning, she realized with horror that one of Nightmare Moon's conscripted ponies hadn't run away from battle with the rest. She was a young filly, maybe college age, and one of her forelegs had slipped into a gopher's hole and broken; her companions had apparently been unable to free her. She was kneeling, crying in pain and fear. She didn't seem to notice Cadance.

The alicorn stopped, the sight of one of her subjects in need reminding her of why she was engaged in such a hopeless fight. With a little bit of magic, she eased the leg out of the hole; with another, she dulled the pain. "Can you walk?"

The mare turned to her, sniffling and shaking her head. "It's broken..." She realized who she was talking to. "Princess?? Run! They'll kill you!"

"Not without you," said Cadance, working out her next move. "You're my subject. I won't let monsters hurt you."

"But..."

Cadance shook her head and reached out a hoof to help the injured mare get onto her back.

"Take... my... hoof... it's our world.
"See... the... proof... and make it real." She smiled softly.
"Learn... love... live... in our world.
"All... of... this... is our world."

She eased the pony onto her back. "The monarch lives for her subjects. As long as I have any strength left, I won't let the tyrants hurt anypony that I can save. Come on -- I'm going to get you over this hill and back to your friends."

***

Burning Sun was readying another blast when a beam of light crashed to the ground in front of her.

For a moment, she stared blankly. One of my magic alarms... left over from a millenium prior? But where? Who? The only one I set that my sister did not unmake was the one in the old castle, but why would anypony go there? By that point, everything had been moved out of the castle, and the only thing any of us might have brought was--

She froze. "The Elements!"

"What, those old trinkets? I doubt you can use them, sister," called Nightmare Moon.

Burning Sun ignored her sister. The Elements were, after all, far more of a threat, and it was entirely possible that the golem had simply left them in the old castle after using them against the alicorn sisters. If somepony was trying to seize them, that might pose a real threat to her imminent reign. They had to be secured.

With a blast, she buried her sister under the earth. With a mighty flap of her wings, she soared into the air and began to fly towards the ancient castle at top speed. She was an alicorn and nigh-omnipotent; it would take mere minutes to reach the Elements and kill whoever was trying to steal them. Then she could set a trap, eliminate her sister and the golem, and rule. Equestria would have its proper monarch at last.

"Idiot!" hissed Nightmare Moon, digging herself out from her impromptu tomb. "I'll grab them first, tear you limb from limb, and rule." With a flash she was in the air, pursuing her sister.

Behind them, Princess Cadance -- having just returned from bringing the injured mare to her friends in the hills -- flapped a few times to get into the air, but she felt unusually heavy. She realized that she was at her limits, and though she struggled, she found herself collapsing to the ground.

My makers... she thought, just before she fell unconscious from exhaustion. Please... please, let there be something to stop you from hurting anypony else...

It felt like too much effort to even stay awake anymore, and her eyes slipped shut.

The two tyrants were already miles away.