• Published 27th Apr 2013
  • 3,684 Views, 102 Comments

The Frozen North - GjallarFox



The Frozen North. A beautiful yet unforgiving place. The perfect place to share warmth.

  • ...
4
 102
 3,684

Bloom (Day)

Bloom (Day)

A/N: I'm putting this note here because it is necessary for you to read this warning BEFORE the story, because afterwards will confuse you.
WARNING: THE POINT OF VIEW WILL CHANGE WITHOUT DISTINCT WARNING. PAY ATTENTION TO HINTS IN THE STORY TO KNOW WHO'S POV IT IS.

Without further ado, we shall continue The Frozen North with Bloom.

------------------------------------

I remember the time and date of exactly the setting in which I met her. I could recount every detail from the exact shade of blue of the sky down to which leaves had been eaten by growing caterpillars, and maybe further if I strained my mind. I remember the day of June twentieth, of the year one-thousand AB, when I met the love of my life. Of course, it wasn't love at first sight, but that's not the important part. All that matters is that I met her that day at three-oh-nine and twelve seconds in the afternoon, learning her name some time later that I could not distinguish. I was far too nervous to have counted the seconds between the instant I laid eyes on her and the moment she told me her name, expecting me to answer by telling my own. I was surprised I wasn't shaking when I tried to answer. But I saw the inevitable coming, and my nerves cut my voice before I could just utter my own name... I never could have known that my nerves had made the best possible impression on her that day. For once in my life, my nerves had actually repaid me for all the trouble they'd caused over the years.

"Careful, Love, the rock is icy here," her voice snapped me from my memories. I shifted my gaze to the point indicated by one of her lavender hooves. The black rock jutting out from the wall of ice and snow we were descending looked plain enough. But she was right, as I saw multiple icicles that had formed a beard on the rock, and there was no indication that the ice stopped at the base of the hanging cones. I tentatively placed a hoof on the rock, confirming that it had indeed been frozen over. I hopped over the rock, flapping my wings a few times to slow my descent enough to not break the fragile compacted-snow trail we were traversing. I landed directly next to her again, and we continued our descent down the switch-backs of the mountain trail.

Within moments of silence, I sank back into my own consciousness. I went back to the day I met the pegasus that I loved with every last subatomic particle of my being. I had shoved my way through a crowd of bushes, following the sound of orchestrated birdsong. I was growing increasingly frustrated by all of the ponies that kept trying to be my friend. None of them understood that I was a recluse. All I wanted was to return to the Canterlot library, and read until I knew everything there was to know, and then start trying to solve the mysteries that hadn't been solved. All I wanted to do was stay alone so no one could get close.

I remember introducing myself, and being met by silence from the angelic pegasus. I remember that she simply looked away, shuffling the dirt with her hoof. For some reason, I found it incredibly endearing that she was so shy. It was an incredible contrast to the overly-social and friendly ponies around that had been increasingly irksome to me. It was a pleasant change of pace when I asked her name and heard half of it before her timidness choked her back. For most ponies, I'd have been a lot less forgiving of such a display, but she had already started making a positive impression on me, so I asked again. I kept asking until she could only squeak in response. I was slightly disappointed that I couldn't learn her name, being the one name I actually wanted to learn that day. But her adorable shyness made it practically impossible to obtain, and at the time I was getting increasingly antsy about the prophecy of Nightmare Moon's return. It was only when I stepped out far enough for her to see Spike that I learned her name, which literally told her personality.

I was jarred back to attention by the feeling of falling. The snow beneath my front right hoof gave way, crumbling like a dried out cake. Five meters of trail fell like sand through an hourglass. I leapt back in panic, distancing myself from what could have been a deadly fall. I took a peek over the new ledge. Judging by the time it took for the sound of the falling bits hitting the ice below to come back up, we were about eight hundred vertical meters from our next destination. I looked over the frozen plains below Diamond Ridge, seeing naught but snow at this time. But I knew that come three in the afternoon, the Malachite Meadow was the place to be.

I reappeared suddenly on the other side of the gap that I had created. I looked back, seeing Fluttershy fly over the gap, gently landing next to me. I smiled, feeling her warm presence less than a hair's breadth away from me, tickling my nerves with nothing but the anticipation of touch. We didn't actually touch in that moment, but the proximity was close enough for my nerves to send the signals to my brain anyway.

If somepony asked me exactly when I realized that I loved the new librarian from Canterlot, I would tell them that it was a long process. It was not like remembering that one had left a door unlocked. It was by no means an abrupt realization. The more I look back on it, the more I believe that I had always loved her. I remember a day where I was finished taking care of my animal friends, and I was just sitting alone on a hill near my cottage with my thoughts. Granted, at the time, Twilight was off searching for a special somepony at the time because of the Changeling Invasion. But my thoughts were centered entirely around her. If somepony said a random word, I would be able to trace it back to Twilight. I remember seeing a cloud floating by in the sky that reminded me of her. I saw her face in the cloud, smiling down at me. I remember feeling a bit lonely because she was searching for love but never thought to come to me about it... I remember Angel having served me a warm cup of tea before I went out to the hill, and the tea tasting ever-so-slightly off, but at the time I didn't really care.

My mind played a nasty trick on me that day, and it wouldn't be until I saw Twilight the next day that I'd realized that I had mentally confirmed with myself that I loved her. I saw Twilight approach me on the hill that day, sitting down next to me. I blushed harder than I ever had before, the air around my face bending light to make it look like the air was water. I remember her whispering something in my ear, but I couldn't understand what she'd said. 'Je t'aime...' she'd said. It sounded like a different language, but I couldn't be sure. I simply blushed harder, and looked into her eyes. Or at least, I tried to... When I looked in her direction, she was gone. Not a trace of having been there. Not even hoofprints.

With comfortable silence, hundreds of meters could pass in what would only feel like seconds. When I snapped from my thoughts for no particular reason, I saw that we were only three-hundred vertical meters from the plains below. I didn't know what was down there that Twilight wanted to see so badly, but she'd shown me the auroras yesterday, and it had been, for lack of a better term, magical. So I trusted her to have a good reason for coming down here. I looked over to her, seeing that she was hopelessly lost in thought. I set my wing around her, wanting nothing more than to hold her close.

I don't know if it was just wild magic that was particularly strong at that point, or if she had activated some sort of spell when I wasn't looking, but I was somehow in Ponyville. I was headed towards the library, and as I saw Granny Smith talking with Filthy Rich, I knew exactly what day it was that I was seeing. I could never forget it so long as I lived. The telltale signs of twelve cirrus clouds in the sky and no Rainbow Dash to be seen gave away that I was remembering the day I asked her out. As if my mind was just remembering that it was supposed to be nervous, the feeling kicked in like Applejack had bucked it into my head. I walked with shaky hoofsteps towards the Golden Oaks Library, some forty meters away. It took me four minutes to get there. I was a nervous wreck. If I didn't look so young, somepony might have thought I was having a heart attack, which based on what I was feeling was entirely plausible.

I knocked gently on the door, managing to make less noise than a rat's footstep. I cursed myself for being so anxious. I understood why, but that didn't make it any less annoying. I tried again, forcing my hoof to make an at least audible sound. I don't know if she was waiting for me, but the door opened not five seconds afterwards.

"Oh, h-hey Fluttershy," she greeted, a minor stutter interrupting her. I found it strange, but dismissed it immediately.

"H-hey, Twilight... I-I... was jus-st..." I started, struggling to remember what I was going to say. Aw, to pony-feathers with it, I thought. "I-I n-need to talk to you about something..."

"U-um... Sure," she chattered with what I could immediately recognize as anxiety. She opened the door further to allow me inside. "I was actually just about to come talk to you..."

I chuckled awkwardly, the statement splitting the atoms of courage I had into nothingness. I felt as though the color was draining from my mane and fur, leaving me pale. I followed her as she took a seat on a loveseat (which did not help my nerves as I mused to myself about it), taking a seat just a foot or two from her. The proximity was enough to make my heart start bludgeoning away like a blacksmith. I felt my blush starting to become visible through my fur. I thanked Celestia that I had my mane to hide behind.

"S-so, Fluttershy... What w-was it that you wanted to t-talk about?" she asked, turning to face me. I peeked out from behind my mane, looking into her eyes. I could tell that she was antsy enough to shiver, but she did very well suppressing the physical sign of anxiety.

Rarity's voice echoed in my mind, If you can describe her like that to me, all you have to do is tell it to her, and the rest will fall into place. For a moment that I knew would be as fleeting as a spark, I steeled my nerves just enough to begin, "You're the single greatest pony I've ever met." My nerves melted again, and I began shaking as though I'd been in the snow too long. She tilted her head slightly, but said nothing. I dared myself to continue, "You're the single greatest pony I've ever met. You're incredibly modest, and kind, and I find it adorable when you're unaware of the common slang, and try to use it." I giggled like a schoolfilly. "You've been able to plan every aspect of your life down to the twinkle of a star in the night, but I don't think those plans are right."

She looked away, towards her clipboard hanging on her fridge. I advanced, drawing her attention back to me as she stared at me like I was crazier than Pinkie on caffeine, "I've been thinking about this too much and I finally steeled my accursed nerves enough to come out here and ask you if you'd like to go out on a date with me...?"

I hid behind my mane again, my courage now extinguished entirely. I couldn't have brought myself to face Angel, I was so distressed.

A hoof brushed my mane away, revealing a smiling Twilight. Tears had formed in her eyes, but she nodded and squeaked the only answer that wouldn't break my heart...

"Yes."

We were on the plains now, and I could feel the vibrations of wild magic through my horn. The sun was at an angle that was almost perfect. I used a bit of mental trigonometry, only rounding to four decimal places to check the time, finding it to be just after two in the afternoon. Less than two degrees left before the wild magic would reach its usual fever-pitch. All we had left to do, was wait.

I sat down, sliding my saddlebags off of my back. Though mildly uncomfortable, my insulation spell kept most of the cold out, allowing me to sit on the snow and not risk frostbite. I relaxed as my incredibly gorgeous marefriend sat next to me, her wing once again resting on my sore back, where my saddlebags had been. The tension dulled a little, but nothing short of a spa day would work the knots away.

Time passed fairly quickly, my feathers itching with anticipation. I had no idea what she had planned that we were waiting for. I looked around for what felt like the hundredth time, seeing absolutely no change in the frozen plains. Oh how quickly it changed...

Just in front of me, something emerged from the snow, pushing through it like a plow. As it emerged, I noticed that it was almost like a sprout of a plant or wild flower. But as it grew, I noticed that it was a crystal. Bright green, almost like jade, but brighter. As the 'sprout' continued its ascent, it branched outward, making tiny 'leaves' as it expanded. I looked up at Twilight for a moment, wondering if she was causing this phenomenon. Her jaw had dropped, leaving a wide smile in its wake on her face. Just beyond her, I saw dozens more of the crystal sprouts rising from the ground like vamponies from their coffins. I turned back to the sprout just in front of me, which had swelled at the top making a bud that was just ready to burst into bloom. I watched carefully, my peripheral vision seeing dozens of dozens more sprouts.

With a loud crack, like that of a tree branch snapping, the crystal flower exploded into a fit of color. The glorious pink petals burst forth, rough as they first came, but refined themselves into cut wonders before they settled into a perfect position. I shifted my gaze to one that had grown but a foot away to the left, catching it just in time as it ruptured itself, allowing spectacular yellow petals to venture forth. I turned to face Twilight again, who was looking on in her own wonder. It was another breathtaking spectacle, one I doubted I'd ever see again, and she was the one who brought me to see it. I softly thanked Celestia for this moment, and for sending the love of my life to Ponyville in the first place.

So we sat there on the snow-quilted tundra, watching flowers made of crystals bloom in vibrant reds, mellow blues, hushed yellows, regal purples, and every color the mind's eye could ever recall. The overwhelming picturesque sight ate away at my ability to hold my head up, making me drop onto Twilight's comfortable shoulder. I felt her smile soften as though to welcome me, and my smile grew as the flowers bloomed.

I saw two late-comers sprout upwards, intertwining as they did, forever entangling themselves together with a bond as strong as diamond. I felt both my gaze and Twilight's shift to the pair, watching as their buds swelled with anticipation, our breaths crystalized in our lungs. I near had a heart attack when I saw them burst, revealing their colors...

A yellow on the left, and lavender on the right.

Author's Note:

Headcanon can screw with you when you write things like this. I eventually said "Screw canon, I'll do it how I remember it." So I should be at least semi-accurate with some things. Other than that, I stopped caring about canon. This is my story, and I shall write it how it comes.

In other news, this is a two-part chapter, so expect Bloom (Night) to come around within a week or so.

Also, I just want to send a shout-out to a few of my stalkers... Ahem...

Laarsgaard - Faithful pre-reader who helped me get rid of some awkward phrasing. He managed to catch a grammar error from me. Can you believe that? Love ya like a brother, my fellow ferret. Keep doing what you do.
YayFlutters - He's been a really awesome dude, prereading this because sometimes I get too excited to not share with someone. I try to not make him jelly of the fact that I have been writing a lot... Poor guy.
Timaeus - New stalker of mine that I've seen on LITERALLY almost every fic I've read. I'm his editor now, because apparently I'm awesome. (His words, not mine.) So yeah.

I'm working on Bloom (Night) as you read this. Hope you enjoyed.

<3 DarqFox