• Published 21st Apr 2013
  • 4,965 Views, 218 Comments

Collide - TheOriginalDash



Vinyl goes to band camp. She meets Octavia, a shy girl. She puts out the effort to get Octavia to talk to her, and a fast friendship forms. After spending a summer together, one of them may be falling in love.

  • ...
9
 218
 4,965

The Start of Something Beautiful

Octavia

"That unbelievable, uncouth, uncivilized, rrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaahhh!!!!!! Why does she do that? What satisfaction does she find in my embarrassment," I growled, knowing full well what she got from it. She acts like such a male sometimes, making rude and suggestive jokes. I can't believe her parents let her get away with that. Of course, they probably don't know. It's a good thing, too, because she is just undeniably frustrating. I've only known her less than a day, and she's already done things most people haven't done to me in three years, back when I first started high school! Everyone knows better than to tickle me. And they most certainly do not make sexual jokes at my expense.

I shuddered at the cold in the room as I paced, slightly missing Vinyl's warmth. She gives heat off like it's free. Luckily, my face still burned from that rather compromising situation a few minutes ago, so my head and neck were warm. I stalked over to my bed to grab my phone, and promptly turned around to exit the cabin, and maybe find Vinyl. We need to talk about how far this friendship thing is supposed to go. Friends shouldn't flirt with each other in my opinion, especially if they're straight. I have nothing against homosexuals; my former best friend was one, in fact. But I find the whole thing uncomfortable, regardless of how accepting her other friends are of her deviant humor.

Taking long strides, I quickly crossed the commons in the middle of our semicircle of cabins. I searched the area for a hint of bright blue hair, and finally I noticed an azure streak under the covered bridge on the opposite side of the grounds. I hurried in that direction, fuming silently under my breath. My frustration subsided slowly as I walked toward the bridge. Vinyl was just playing, after all. I suppose there's no harm done. But we still need to have a talk about this whole thing. I'm still not quite comfortable with her yet, and she needs to understand that.

I soon reached the bridge, and had begun trying to figure out the way to get under it, when I felt a hand grab my leg and pull me down. I landed hard, and slid down the side of the hill by the bridge. I fell onto something soft, and heard a small gasp of breath as I settled. I glanced down to see that I was seated on Vinyl's midsection, effectively knocking the wind out of her. I felt my face flush, and I quickly jumped up from my position, smacking my head on the underside of the bridge as a result.

As I tenderly rubbed the back of my sore head, I saw Lyra helping Vinyl up. Vinyl dusted herself off, and leaned over, putting her hands on her knees to catch her breath. She shook her head quickly, and stood up, cracking a smile at me.

"You just can't stop throwing yourself at me, can you, Octy? I'm starting to think these aren't just accidents. Maybe your subconscious is trying to tell you something." She grinned like the Cheshire Cat, and I had to physically restrain myself from strangling her.

"I. Am. Not. A. Lesbian! Stop saying that kind of thing!" She just shrugged her shoulders, and stuck her hands in her pockets.
She looked at me like she thought otherwise, but she was just joking; I could tell by the twinkle in her eyes.

"Well, I mean, you don't have to be a lesbian. There is a such thing as bisexuality, too. I'd be totally cool with it if you were, just so you know. I've always kinda wanted a gay best friend." She turned that crooked smile on me again , and as quickly as it came, my indignation at those words simply vanished.

"Vinyl, for the last time, I am completely straight. I have always been, and will most likely always be." Seizing sudden inspiration, I decided to turn her own humor back on her. "You know, with all these allusions you've been making, maybe you're the gay one. Are you secretly trying to tell me something?" She stared back at me, eyes wide as she tried to collect her thoughts. I'd left her completely dumbfounded. Success!

"You know, I can't believe you just did that. Well done, Octy, well done. The padawan has learned well from her master." She grinned at me, and slapped me on the back, almost knocking me over again. I huffed at her, and finished dusting myself off.

"Well, I hate to interrupt you two lovebirds, but it"s almost time to head back for practice. We have about forty-five minutes, but it takes about fifteen to get back there, and we don't have our instruments. So, let's spend about twenty minutes here, and then we'll head back, right?" Vinyl and I gaped at Lyra's initial comment, and then I collected myself slowly.

"Yes, that sounds perfectly fine. And I do wish that you would refrain from calling us lovebirds. People might begin to get ideas. And by people, I mean Vinyl. And we all know what sort of ideas she gets." Vinyl rolled her eyes at this, and plopped down onto the dirt. Lyra chuckled a little at my jest, and then she dropped to the ground, too. I soon followed, and we spent the rest of the afternoon much the same way, with the three of us hanging out in every spare second.

This was the start of a beautiful friendship. And in the end, it was so much more. More than I ever could have imagined. All thanks to one odd girl.