• Published 21st Apr 2013
  • 6,072 Views, 703 Comments

Short Shorts - Coranth

  • ...
40
 703
 6,072

PreviousChapters Next
4. David meets Nightmare Moon (A Total Eclipse of Their Hearts/Songfic) (Restored)

"Show her to me. I want to meet her," David said, softly.

At her beloved's gentle words, Princess Luna - her eyes misting over with tears - shakily nodded her head. Then, with a whispered incantation the Lunar Diarch became surrounded by a soft glow of moonlight... and upon their bed before David - as naked as the day her dam had foaled her - lay Nightmare Moon, the Dread Mare, the evil pony whom had dared to bring Eternal Night to the World. Unable to contain the emotions that held her within their cruel grasp, Nightmare Moon shuddered, a wracking sob escaping her as her tears began to fall. "Cruel moon, bring the end. The dawn will never rise again..." She crooned mournfully. A vile, wretched thing she felt she was! Here and now, Luna - Nightmare Moon - expected her beloved to turn his wrath upon her; she expected harsh, hate-filled words, a hurting hand, and then for him to leave. It had happened before; it would happen again, and thus, she braced herself for the worst. She heard David inhale a breath to speak; felt the movement of one of his hands as it inched closer to her dark form... and then her eyes snapped open - a surprised gasp escaping her - as that hand combed through her mane to scratch her behind the ears. 'He... he still loves us, even when we are like this' thought she, her more formal way of thinking returning with the change of form. 'Truly Faust has blessed us...'

"Th-Thou still loves and adores Us... e-even when... We are in this form?" she choked, gazing at him in awe, her gaze doe-like and shy. Without hesitation, David nodded, moving to cup her jet-black muzzle in his hands. Stroking her cheeks, gently massaging her jaw, he whispered, "Yes, of course I do. You're still Luna - just her, well, darker half - and you're enchanting and so very beautiful, and..." But Luna listened to him no longer for she was lost in her own thoughts; his words had struck so very deeply at her fragile vulnerable heart. "This..." she choked, overcome with emotion, "this is more than We could have ever dreamed of. A-All... all we have ever wanted... was to be loved." Broken beyond all pride and ego, Nightmare Moon tangled David up in a snarl of hooves, body and wings, squeezing her eyes closed as she wept bitterly into his chest, perhaps for the first time exorcising much of the pain of a thousand lonely years... Even as she cried, she knew - fiercely so! - that David's words were true. Even as she wept for those lost, lonely years, she could feel her human's touch; David was gently petting and stroking her - her ears, her mane, her neck, back, flanks, thighs and even her hooves - everywhere his hands could reach. She reveled in that touch - clutching her human as one might grasp a life-preserver in a storm - weeping fiercely, each sob another ounce of pain washed away.

When at last her cries faded Nightmare Moon drew in a softened breath as said cries were replaced by a different sound; that of her beloved singing. And, oh! The song he sung... "Night time sharpens / Heightens each sensation / Darkness wakes / And stirs imagination / Silently the senses / Abandon their defenses / Helpless to resist the notes I write / For I compose the music of the night..." It was all she could do to listen, fresh tears escaping her as she realized that this song - this "Music of the Night", so beautiful and gentle - was for her and her alone; with it David was venerating, worshiping, and loving her and all that she was. "Slowly, gently, night unfurls its splendor / Grasp it, sense it, tremulous and tender / Turn your face away from the garish light of day / Turn your thoughts away from cold unfeeling light / And listen to the music of the night..." On and on he sang and Nightmare Moon drank in every note, every word. By the time the song ended, the poor mare was laid out, her head atop her human's chest, overwhelmed and shattered yet feeling utterly whole and more valid than she'd ever felt in her life...

PreviousChapters Next