• Published 21st Apr 2013
  • 7,275 Views, 118 Comments

Twilight Sparkle Waits For A Train - GeodesicDragon



Princess Twilight Sparkle is expecting her friends to arrive in Canterlot. But when the train doesn't arrive on time, she starts to fear the worst.

  • ...
41
 118
 7,275

Daylight Robbery

CHAPTER TWO

Daylight Robbery

The train sped along the tracks, the scenery passing by in a blaze of colours. In one of the many carriages sat five mares on plush chairs, talking excitedly amongst themselves.

"I must say, girls," Rarity said. "I for one am really looking forward to our little trip to Canterlot. It has been so long since we have seen our dear friend Twilight."

"I agree, Rarity," Fluttershy replied. "I just hope that we're not, um, interrupting her duties as Princess."

"Of course we ain't, Fluttershy!" Applejack chortled, patting her on the back, "If Twilight was as busy as you think she is, do ya really think she'd be sendin' us letters askin' us ta come an' see her?"

"You're right, Applejack." Fluttershy nodded. "It was silly of me to think that we'd be interrupting anything."

"I can't wait to see Twilight!" Pinkie Pie squealed, bouncing in her seat. "We're going to have so much fun playing games, telling stories and eating lots of cakes and candy!"

"Chill out, Pinkie Pie," Rainbow Dash said. "We're not there yet."

Her words did nothing to calm Pinkie, who only began to bounce even harder in her seat with unrestrained excitement.

"But we will be there, Rainbow Dash," Pinkie said. "We'll be there soon, and I'm going to throw the biggest party ever!"

As Rainbow Dash chuckled and rolled her eyes, a sudden grinding noise filled the air. The five mares flinched and covered their ears while the train slowed to a halt.

"What in tarnation is goin' on?" Applejack asked. "Why has the train stopped all of a sudden?"

The sound of breaking glass in the next carriage answered Applejack's question. She and her friends moved around in their seats and watched in silent horror as a group of ponies wearing coverings over their faces and carrying crossbows entered the train.

"Oh, no," Fluttershy whispered. "The train is being robbed!"

Rainbow Dash growled and pounded her forehooves together, flaring her wings and hovering a few inches above the floor.

"Not on our watch, girls!" she snarled. "Come on, let's go and teach these bozos not to mess with us!"

She attempted to fly away only to be held back by her friends, each of whom was shaking her head furiously.

"Wait just a minute, Rainbow Dash!" Rarity scolded. "As much as I would like to show these ruffians a thing or two, the fact that they are armed should be more than enough to put us off."

The door to the carriage opened and two of the bandits – a unicorn and a pegasus – entered, raising their crossbows at the group who proceeded to raise their forehooves above their heads.

"Good girls," the unicorn sneered as he held out a bag. "Now then, put all of your money and valuables in here, and don't try anything funny if you value your lives."

The girls nodded, tossing their bit pouches into the bag while looking nervously at their aggressors — though Rainbow Dash opted giving them an angry glare.

"Thank you kindly, ladies," the pegasus said cheerfully. "Now stay there and don't follow us. Got it?"

Five solemn nods were his answer as he entered the next carriage with his companion moving backwards while keeping his weapon aimed at the five, almost daring them to make a move. Once the two were out of sight, Fluttershy curled into a ball and wept.

"That..." she squeaked. "That was scarier than the Changelings."

The others patted her gently on the back as a loud whistle sounded throughout the train, followed by more breaking glass announcing the bandits departure. Rainbow Dash watched them leave through the window, a scowl prominent on her face.

"Those punks deserve a flank-kicking," she snarled. "I hope they get what's coming to them soon!"

"I can't believe it," Fluttershy whimpered. "I can't believe that there are ponies out there who are so keen to hurt others like this."

Pinkie Pie nuzzled the stricken pegasus fondly. Her mane and tail had all but straightened out, and her voice was just as flat.

"Not everypony wants to be happy," she mumbled. "That's something I can't believe. Why wouldn't you want to be happy?"

Applejack sighed. "But this is makin' 'em happy, Pinkie," she said. "They get their happiness from the sufferin' of others. It ain't right, I know, but there's nothin' we can do about it."

"We can hunt them down," Rainbow Dash growled. "Show them that not everypony is scared of them. If we work together—"

Her words were cut off as Applejack put a forehoof on her shoulder and shook her head gently. "No, Rainbow Dash," she said. "If we do that then we'd get into trouble as well. It just ain't worth it but don't fret now — we'll report these bandits and let the Royal Guard handle it. Now just forget about 'em fer now, sugarcube, an' let us focus on the more important issue at hoof."

Rainbow Dash rubbed the back of her head sheepishly and nodded. "You're right, Applejack," she murmured. "We need to alert the Royal Guard to what has happened here."

Rarity giggled. "That's just one of the important issues at hoof," she said. "You're forgetting about something else." Her friends looked at her blankly, to which she sighed and rolled her eyes. "We need to find a way to tell Twilight we're going to be late," she said. "If we don't, then bandits will be the least of our worries."

The five of them sat in silence for a moment before breaking into a fit of giggles, losing themselves in the moment and putting their recent trauma to the backs of their minds.

***

"And that's just for starters!" Twilight said.

Spike brought a hand to his forehead, a loud slap filling the air, and dragged it down his face with a loud groan.

"What?" Twilight asked. "Was that a bit much? Okay then, Spike, what if something else happened?"

"By all means, Twilight," Spike replied. "Enlighten me."