• Published 7th Feb 2012
  • 2,305 Views, 25 Comments

Unending Slumber - tyion



Rainbow Dash persuades Fluttershy to train with her. What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
5
 25
 2,305

Chapter 2

“What happened?” Applejack asked immediately upon entering the waiting room, the orange earth pony ran all the way from her farm to the hospital and was completely out of breath.

“We don’t know,” Twilight began, standing up from her chair “me and Rarity heard a scream coming from the Everfree forest, so we went there to check what the source was.” Twilight hesitated with the last part as images of the unconscious, blood covered bodies of her friends caught her breath.

“We found both of them… lying unconsciously on the ground, so we released Dash from the tree, which had fallen on her, and brought them here as fast as ponily possible” Rarity continued, her voice lacking every bit of emotion.

“How are they now?” Applejack asked with an unsteady voice.

“Shy-Shy is alright, but Dash was brought into surgery, and now we have to wait until she comes out” Pinkie replied, not in her usual overjoyed manner, but in a voice which sounded shocked and overwhelmed. It broke Applejacks heart to see her juvenile pink friend like this; it didn’t fit her, not at all.

The room was shrouded in silence for a long time, no one dared to break it, the information they had just received distressed the four ponies to a point, where they were all on the verge of reality, and they just couldn’t believe what had happened. They all sat there, silently, waiting for good news to arrive.

After around three hours, which felt like an eternity for the four ponies, a nurse walked inside. Everypony tensed up and prepared themselves for the worst.

“As we told you, the yellow pegasus is relatively unharmed, she has a broken wing and some minor injuries on her head, but all she needs to recover is some rest and time.”

Rarity let out a relieved sigh, before further inquiring “And what about Rainbow Dash?”

“The nurse shook her head and took a long breath before replying “As for the other pegasus. We did the best we could but her injuries were too severe, we were able to stitch the open wounds and prevent more blood from being lost. However her lungs were damaged to a point where we cannot fix it, not even with magic.”

“Does that mean Dashie is?” Pinkie inquired, being at the verge of tears.

“No, she is not dead; she is in artificial coma from which she likely won’t wake up. I am sorry.” The nurse stated

Everypony was trembling, they couldn’t believe it, and they didn’t want to believe it. Dash would never wake up again? That had to be a joke, a big cruel joke.

From the four ponies in the room, Pinkie seemed to have taken it worst. Her fluffy, pink hair was straight now and her eyes were empty, she was blankly staring into the room.
No pranks with Dashie anymore? No sleepovers with her best friend?

Tears started to form in her emotionless eyes; she only wished that she could wake up from this dreadful nightmare.

“Can we see them?” Twilight asked the nurse, who was silently standing in the corner of the room.

“But of course, they are both lying in room 102” she responded.

Twilight lead the way to the mentioned room, the others following closely the sight presented in front of them upon entering shook them to the core. Dash was lying on a white bed, wired on many gadgets and tubes which were the only thing keeping her alive.

Rarity was not able to oppress her grief anymore, Applejack tried hard not to join her in her silent whimpering.

Twilight didn’t know how to react; it was like something was torn apart from her. She felt sadness, but it didn’t seem real.

While shock and anguish still nagged on the four ponies, the sun started to vanish from the horizon and the moon was beginning to travel across the sky. Time flew by in a strange way, every minute felt like an eternity, yet it passed by so quickly.

Twilight let out a long, exhausted sigh before speaking out “Well, girls I think we should all head home and get ourselves some time to think. I will also check if there is really nothing we can do and write a letter to the princess, so don’t dismiss your hope just yet.” Applejack gave an agreeing nod.

“I will stay here in case Fluttershy wakes up” Rarity stated

“Alright, Sugarcube,” Applejack replied “wha about ya Pinkie?” she asked.

Pinkie didn’t give an answer; she seemed to be miles away with her thoughts.

“Hey Pinkie” AJ said while shaking the pink pony slightly.

“Huh, what?” Pinkie asked as she looked around the room.

“Are you alright on your own for the night?” the farmer pony further inquired.

“I… Uhm”

“She can stay here with me, I wouldn’t mind some company” Rarity suggested

“Okey” Pinkie replied

“Well, then. See ya’ all tomorrow” Applejack dryly exclaimed before leaving alongside Twilight.

Rarity and Pinkie sat down between Rainbows and Fluttershy’s bed.

Rarity quickly realized what was wrong with Pinkie, she was in a form of denial, she tried to detach herself from reality so she wouldn’t have to face the truth. The white unicorn knew that this wouldn’t end well, since sooner or later she would have to face it.

“It’s okay Pinkie, you are free to cry” Rarity broke the silence attentively

“What do you mean?” Pinkie didn’t understand.

“You don’t have to hide or oppress your sorrow in front of me. The only thing it will do is bottling up your emotions.”

Pinkie kept silent, but as she felt Rarity’s hooves wrap around her, she felt how tears started to roll down her cheeks, and soon she found herself crying into her friends shoulder.
It was only a matter of minutes until depletion got the best of Rarity and Pinkie. They both fell asleep on each other’s shoulders, snoring silently.

Not long afterwards Fluttershy was starting to wake up. Slowly opening her eyes, she immediately felt her wounds aching. Her forehead was pounding profusely and the incineration on one of her wings was also a pain to endure. Nevertheless she slowly switched to a sitting position. Fluttershy was inspecting the room with half-open eyes. Once she was Dash lying on the bed next to her, she started to remember what lead to their current situation.
She was flying together with Dash when she felt a burning pain on her wing, that’s when she lost control over her flight and shortly after fell unconscious.

It was only then Fluttershy realized all the tubes and gadgets which were wired on Dash. The yellow pegasus let out a short scream due to the shock. This scream did not remain unnoticed by Rarity, who was rubbing her eyes while letting out a yawn.

“Fluttershy?” she asked dozily, “Fluttershy! You’re awake!” Rarity suddenly burst out and hugged the yellow pegasus. To her surprise she did not feel any kind of reaction from Fluttershy.

“Is something wrong?” the unicorn asked

“What happened to Dashie?” Fluttershy stammered.

“Oh…” Rarity’s mood immediately morphed from joy into woe.

“She didn’t have luck on her side, a tree fell on her and severely damaged her lungs,” Rarity began to explain before being interrupted by Fluttershy

“Will she be alright again?” she asked with a shocked voice, tears already forming at the edge of her eyes.

Rarity intended to lie to her, it would make her healing process easier, but upon seeing the despairing face of her best friend, she wasn’t able to. “It is likely that she won’t wake up.” Rarity confessed.

Fluttershy’s eyes widened I in shock and her tears started to freely flood down her cheeks., she felt how her heart was being torn apart, creating a void which could never be filled again. Her stomach twisted, she just wanted to fall back into coma so she wouldn’t have to deal with the pain.

Rarity’s hears broke, seeing Fluttershy like this, but it was inevitable that Fluttershy finds out about Rainbows fate.

“Calm down, Shy. You still have friends who care about you. Me, Pinkie, Twilight and Applejack are here for you”

“It’s not fair. Dash was always there for me, why would she leave me alone?” Fluttershy sobbed out.

“I know its not, but we are going to get through this together.” Rarity said, a single tear excaping her eyes as she embraced Fluttershy into a comforting hug.


====

No this is not the end :D