• Published 7th Feb 2012
  • 2,290 Views, 25 Comments

Unending Slumber - tyion



Rainbow Dash persuades Fluttershy to train with her. What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
5
 25
 2,290

Chapter 1

“Woo-ho” Fluttershy screamed out as loud as she could while watching Rainbow Dash’s usual practice moves. Nothing too spectacular, she had seen everything already, but nevertheless the timid pegasus enjoyed watching her more athletic friend train.

Dash landed next to Fluttershy when she finished one of her routines.

“Did you see that Shy? I was like five seconds faster than last time! I think today I am even more awesome than usual!” Dash stated excitement and adrenaline still rushing through her veins.

“Yea, that was pretty nice,” Fluttershy replied in her usual, shy demeanor.

The cyan pegasus felt like her friend wasn’t enjoying herself as much as she usually did. “Is something wrong Shy?” Dash asked, concern filling her voice.

“Uhm no everything is fine.” The canary yellow pegasus responded, blushing lightly at the thought of Dash being worried about her.

“Mhm, doesn’t sound like it. I bet you are bored. You saw all these tricks at least a hundred times,” Dash concluded, thinking about a way to make Fluttershy enjoy their practice training more. “I know!” Dash suddenly spoke up “How about you do those tricks with me?”

“What? No! You know that I can’t fly nearly as well as you can,” Fluttershy responded, but that was only half of the truth. She would probably faint in the middle of the air when she flying so close to Dashie.

“Pegasusfeathers! You have wings don’t you? So you can fly, come now!” Rainbow insisted and grabbed Fluttershy’s hoof, dragging her into the air.

Okay Shy, you got this. Keep calm and breathe… Oh Celestia how do you breath? Oh my goodness I can’t breathe! “HEEELP!” Fluttershy screamed out, causing Dash to scream out in panic as well.

“Shy what happened?!” Dash asked, worrying if she had done something wrong.

“Uhm… nothing … I just forget to… Uhm…” everything which was said by Fluttershy past those words were just silent squeaks of embarrassment.

“Now come on Fluttershy, don’t be so tensed! Relax a little bit, let your wings do their job,” requested Dash.

Easier said than done, Fluttershy thought as she tried to calm herself down. Her heart was beating ever so fast. She could swear that it was about to break through her chest. Nonetheless she tried to keep up with her rainbow maned friend, flapping her wings faster than she was used to.

“Ok good, now we do some loops!” Dash screamed out and swiftly grabbed one of Fluttershy’s hooves.

“Dashie wait!” Fluttershy screeched, but it was too late. She was being dragged by the cyan Pegasus flying in front of her. The wind was rushing through her hair and fur; she could barely keep her eyes open. All of the sudden Dash dragged her up; all Fluttershy could see were some blurry blue colors, and of course her friend, who just looked back at her and gave her a reassuring smile.

After what felt like an eternity for the canary yellow pegasus they slowed down.

“That was awesome, wasn’t it Shy?” Dash asked with a grin from ear to ear.

Fluttershy couldn’t release any words from her lips; she was trembling slightly and adrenaline was surging through her entire body.

“That was…” Fluttershy began.

“Awesome?” Dash finished her sentence.

Fluttershy nodded her head in agreement and also started to grin now. She felt so happy, so alive. Just then she realized that Dash was still holding her hoof, causing her to blush into a deep crimson.

“Shy? Are you alright? Do you have fever?” Dash inquired, completely oblivious about the true reasoning behind Fluttershy’s weird behavior. Raising her free hoof, Dash touched Fluttershy’s forehead in order to check her temperature.

Due to this unexpected movement of the cyan pegasus, Fluttershy’s wings immediately stretched to their fullest and she lost her balance. Fortunately Dash was still there and kept her up.

“You are really acting odd today. You should let yourself get checked by Nurse Redheart, or at least Twilight,” Dash suggested as she pulled Fluttershy back up, until she was able to fly on her own again.

“Uhm… everything is alright Dash…”

“So… up for another round?” Rainbow asked her.

Fluttershy simply nodded her head and they both started to fly again, side by side.

The pegasi nearly spent the entire afternoon flying around, both of them experiencing euphoric happiness. But all the flying took its toll on the not so athletic yellow pegasus.

“You’re tired Shy?” Dash asked her friend as she realized that Fluttershy was panting.

“Mhm,” Fluttershy responded. She was completely drained from all the physical effort.

“One more flight and then we can call it a day and get some dinner?” Dash wondered, nearly begging her for another round.

“I’m not sure Dash, my wings are pretty tired,” Fluttershy replied.

“Don’t worry Shy; I will be there to catch you if anything happens!” Dash stated proudly.

Fluttershy blushed and agreed that one more flight couldn’t hurt.

====

“Thank you again, Rarity,” Twilight Sparkle said while carrying a few baskets of purple flowers with her magic.

“Oh it’s quite alright, Dear. I am always happy to help you. What do you want with
those flowers anyway; they must be rather important if you voluntarily travel into the Everfree Forest to gather them,” Rarity asked. She was also carrying a few of the mentioned flowers.

“Well, I need them for some research on growing magic. They are perfect because they can absorb a large amount of magical energy without withering,” the lavender unicorn explained.

“I am just happy that we got through this dreadful forest this easily. I can’t wait to get out of here” Rarity added.

====

Meanwhile Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were flying their last round of the day. They flew way faster than Fluttershy usually did, but for some reason she wasn’t afraid. She could only see the rainbow mane of the pegasus in front of her and the confident smile Dash gave her every time she looked back at her.

Suddenly there was a loud noise to be heard.

“What was that?” Fluttershy asked her voice filled with anxiety.

“I don’t know,” Dash replied.

What could that noise be? Lightning? No today was no storm or lighting scheduled.

Again a loud impact was echoing through the trees around them.

Wait… Trees? Oh no, this is bad. Dash thought, she had no idea that they were already in the Everfree Forest, did they really fly that far?

On the spur of the moment, lightning materialized right next to them, luckily Dash didn’t got hit.

“Ahhhhhhh,” a timid voice whimpered behind her.

The pain filled voice of Fluttershy shook Dash to the core; did she got hit? Dash had to gather all of her courage to look back at the yellow pegasus. Fortunately most of her body seemed fine; the lighting only scratched one of her wings.

“Dashie, it hurts, I can’t …” before Fluttershy was able to finish her sentence, she lost control over her flight and fainted, falling towards into the hard ground beneath her.

Dash didn’t lose a second and immediately burst off to her, catching her before any more harm was done.

Rainbow was now flying upside down, holding Fluttershy tightly with both her hooves. It wasn’t the most comfortable way to fly but she promised Shy that she would protect her, and by Celestia she would.

But lady luck wasn’t on her side, more lightning struck the tree in front of her. She was able to avoid it in the last second, yet the movements to evade the burning tree made her lose control over her wings, and she fell down together with Fluttershy, who landed a few inches away from her.

Dash checked her body parts: her head seemed fine, she could still think. Her fore hooves were also still working, her left wing didn’t obey to any commands she sent it, and she could not feel her rear hooves.

Great, I can’t even move now… Wait, what about Shy? Dash thought and looked in front of her; she was lying in front of her, covered in blood. From this distance Dash was not able to tell if the injuries are minor or maybe even lethal. So she did the only thing she could think of, using her working fore hooves she tried to crawl next to her.

On the other hand, the tree which caused her crash landing was still burning, and the stump was weakening, it could no longer hold the weight of the tree and fell down, towards the crawling pegasus.

Dash heard a cracking sound next to her and inspected it, only to discover that her death is nearing with rapid speed in from of a falling tree. With one swift, desperate movement she pushed herself away to her left, but it was not enough. A heavy branch landed on her hind hooves and another, luckily airier, branch impacted with her spine, causing Dash to let out an agonizing cry.


“Did you hear that Twilight?” Rarity asked.

“Yes… it sounded like somepony needs help” Twilight replied and started heading towards the direction of the noise, Rarity following her.

====

Everything Dash could see was blurry; she saw fire, she saw trees, animals running away in fear and most importantly, she saw Fluttershy lying unconsciously in front of her, possibly hurt. Dash mobilized every bit of energy that was left in her and tried to release herself from the massive branch that was immobilizing her, without any success.

Damn, I told her I would protect her, she can’t die here. I need to save her somehow. Dash did the only thing that came to her mind, she took a long breath and tried to scream out for help as loud as she could, but it didn’t work. She coughed a few times and spitted out some blood before she tried again. This time she was prosperous, a loud call for help was resounding through the forest. The only thing that Dash could do right now was pray that somepony, someone, something heard her.

Dash was barely conscious anymore when she witnessed a familiar voice, everything seemed surreal to her, but when she heard the name Twilight and Rarity drop a few times, a smile formed on her face.

Save her, please Twilight, Rarity were the last thoughts before Rainbow drifted into unconsciousness.