• Published 23rd Apr 2013
  • 1,780 Views, 130 Comments

Ace of Hearts - blowngasket



A continuation of the story Jokers Wild. We follow the antics of the master of disguise as he takes a break from city life in the small town of Ponyville. (humanized ponies warning)

  • ...
8
 130
 1,780

Grand Finale Part Three

Chapter 29: Grand Finale Part Three

"You know, that shield can't hold forever..." The whisper echoed across the trees, giving the stoic Shining Armor no indication as to where the unknown enemy laid in wait.

"I can hold larger ones for days on end!" Shining bolstered, maintaining a strong face.

"I know that. It was your barrier that held off in impending changeling invasion for quite some time." Shining would have been flattered slightly, had he not attacked them using such cheap tactics. "That was while you were in good health. You recently had your ass handed to you today." His snickering was easy to hear, but it was the impact that held. Was the enemy that prepared that they would wait until there was weakness within the group? Even worse, his statement wasn't without merit. He wasn't sure how long he could hold up an actual barrier against an opponent of this caliber. "I would estimate...thirty minutes tops before I could tear through it like paper." He sounded smug, completely sure of himself. Even though, Shining had time to form a plan, including checking to see if Applejack was alright.

Kneeling down next to her, he removed the needle from her neck, using a quick healing spell to seal the wound so she wouldn't bleed out. Checking her pulse, it was slightly slower, but not dangerously low. "What did you do to her?" Shining asked, getting up from his position.

"Pressure points, it should keep her out for some time. My sources say she is a handful, so knocking her out just seemed easier." He responded, no real interest in the topic.

"So...what's in it for you?" Shining asked flatly, partly curious about his foe.

"Money. Nothing personal against you, really. Diavolo Di Stallone wanted someone with my skill set, they paid the contract price, poof, and here I am waiting for your energy to deplete. Oh, and if you think you're going to find me by getting me to talk out my location, you'll find your efforts in vain. “Shining expected as much, not surprised that he would prevent himself from being pinpointed.

"Can't blame me for trying, really. So what do I call you, because that asshole trying to kill me and kidnap my sister's friend is a bit of a mouthful?" Both chuckled at this bit.

"You can call me Shadow...and no that isn't my real name. Only an idiotic chump goes and tells someone his actual name."

"Classic..." Shining said with a slight sigh. "I'm guessing I need no introduction, with you being so well informed. But courtesy states otherwise. Shining Armor, Knight Captain of the royal Equestrian kingdom, and Prince of the Crystal Empire." Shining spoke with pride.

"I don't think there is any more words that need to be said. I am just waiting the release of your shield now." Shadow said, a hint of condescending in his tone.

"I am not stupid, Shadow. The moment the shield drops, all you have to do his snatch her out from under me and leave." Shadow laughed loudly, enjoying his opponent more and more.

"It would have been ashamed if you really were that easy to fool. What gave it away?" Shadow asked, maintaining his echoed stance hidden within the orchard.

"You're a coward. You refuse to face me head on, won't give up your real name, and all under the guise of a tactical advantage. Why wouldn't you use another sneaky trick to grab her while I was distracted?" Shining spoke confidently, assured that his analysis was spot on.

"There is a difference between being a coward and being smart. I won't go out of my way and say I can take you on, because I don't even need to if I don't have to. The other psychos I'm partnered with, well that’s a different story." Shadow responded.

"What are you talking about?!" Shining yelled out, losing his cool for the moment.

"Do you really think I am the only one working right now?" Shadow said, a hint of arrogance in his voice. "A synchronized attack, while you are all separated. Why do you think I care little for waiting right now...sure the shield will hold, but how much damage will pass in the next twenty minutes..." He could tell from his tone that this was no bluff, and it made his current position all the more unbearable. He needed to protect Applejack from harm, but that meant putting everyone else at risk. He had confidence in their abilities, but protecting someone while letting lose has never been their specialties. Shining needed to make the decision. Protect Applejack, or try and finish the fight.

"So, I am supposed to get upset, let the guard down, and make it easy for you..." Shining said, a slight smirk on his face.

"Well, that would be preferred, though any way you could make my life easier I would agree to." Shadow responded. Shining could easily tell he was not only hoping for it, but anticipating said action.

"Sorry, but both options suck, really. Not to mention I am sore, drained, and tired, and can't wait to get to bed." There was a bright flash, causing the on looking Shadow to have to cover his eyes for a moment. When his gaze returned he couldn't help it but smile. That Shining Armor was certainly crafty. The shield reduced in size, covering only Applejack now. Shining stood outside the barrier with his blade drawn. The time for waiting was over, and even though Shining was still hurt, his desire to win burned ever the brighter.

They both remained still, tense, waiting. Shining was watching for his opponents’ location, while Shadow the perfect moment to strike. His throwing blades in hand, Shadow made the first attack, taking careful aim, the blind spot behind Shining Armor. The knives, released, flew their course, going right for the armor joint in between the hips and back. Almost connecting. The attack was blocked by Shining's sword. He quickly turned around, glaring right at Shadow's location. Shadow flinched slightly, though remained unmoving.

"Simple luck, I guarantee it won't happen again." True to his word, another set of knives made their way towards the back of Shining's neck. Again, as contact was about to be made, he shifted his body towards the side, narrowly avoiding the attack, frustrating his opponent. More and more blades sailed through the air, coming from all sides. Shining moved rather gracefully for someone wearing near full plate, his sword blocking some, while dodging others. "...I see you're more than just a good soldier, huh..." Shadow stated.

"Nope, your aim is just terrible." Shining said, bluntly, a grin on his face. "You're not going to hit me...so give it up unless you feel like fighting for real." Shadow, starting to lose his cool, decided to switch tactics. The same kind of needle he used on Applejack sailed through the air silently and quickly, a swifter alternative to his blades. His aim, directed towards his opponents’ pressure points, struck an armored glove covering his neck, bouncing off harmlessly.

"How..." Shadow's voice echoed, pure frustration imbedded into his tone. Shining remained quiet, simply picking up one of the knives thrown at him and muttering quietly.

"Object lost, forgotten and discarded. Simply searching for thy home, guided from the hand of the finder to the hand of the owner, show me, so your rightful place you may return to." Shining finished the incantation, sweating slightly from magic exhaustion. His opponent recognized it immediately, continuing his assault in full force now, still unable to strike Shining Armor even once. "Track!" His eyes glowed, and the blade glowed a blue aura, the same as a figure quickly jumping from tree to tree. He couldn't hide anymore at this point, and he knew it.

"You're good..." He finally stopped moving, and jumped out into the open. "A tracking spell to combat a stealthy opponent. Truly you are worth the title of knight captain." Shining couldn't tell what he looked like through the veil of the tracking spell, only aura he gave off. "How did you dodge all of them? It would have been easier to use your barrier."

"I did, actually...I believe you broke at least forty of them..." Shining said, smiling the cocky smile that one picks up from spending time with misfits. "Paper thin and invisible...nearly drained me, but worth it."

"Identifying the attack using the point of collapse. Clever, actually." Shining nodded, reducing the tracking effect to one eye to get a good look at his opponent. Shadow looked as he had said, covered head to two in black cloth, the only visible skin was the eye slit between his two yellow eyes. Even after everything, it looked as if Shadow was still armed to the teeth. A sword at his side, several knives and needles in his belt, and that was what he could see. "You're also incredibly skilled with magic, using multiple spells at the same time, not many could do that..."

"A great magician never reveals his secrets." Shining said, taking a combat stance. Shadow responded in kind, slowly drawing his sword, a simple looking straight blade, with only one sharp edge. He held it out in front of him, holding the sword upside down and blade facing out. Shining watched, slightly confused. He had never seen anyone fight like that, forcing him to rethink his original battle plan. This wasn't going to be a normal sword and shield style battle, and he knew better than to not strike with caution.

"It never gets old to say you're good. It will make the kill that much sweeter." Shadow said, holding his stance.

"Same here, not including supernatural creatures, you have given me more trouble than any other foe." Shining said, preparing to strike.

"Well, time is wasting, right Knight Captain?"

"Indeed it is, Shadow."

"It was nice knowing you..."

"Likewise..."

Shining no longer hesitated, charging at Shadow as his stance remained solid. He thrust his sword, Shadow sliding to the side of him and swinging towards Shining. He quickly raised up his sword, the guard catching the blade. Shining though he stopped the attack, but the blade went through the guard, striking at his armor and almost slicing right through it. Shining instinctively swung at Shadow, forcing him back, though it was obvious he was quite satisfied with himself. Shining glanced down at his sword, shocked to see the guard on one side cleanly sliced off. He rather not think about what would have happened to him had he not slowed the attack down to begin with.

Shadow used this moment of confusion, running at Shining, his land speed almost rivaling Catacombs. He put his sword up to block instinctively, knowing it was too late. The blade, whatever was done with it made it capable of easily cutting through his own. Shining only barely used the time to send the attack off course, avoiding him in the process, though his swords blade was reduced to half the size it once was. This action took all of his concentration, preventing him from noticing the throwing blade being shoved into his side. The sharp burning sensation wasn't new to him, but easily unwelcomed. He quickly stumbled back, pulling the knife out slowly. He winced slightly, watching the blood flow out. In his current state, he wouldn't be able to use healing magic without letting up on the tracking spell. He felt the warmth trickle down his side from inside the armor, as well as the wicked stares coming from shadow.

"Well it seems you won't be able to heal yourself without letting me slip back into my domain. What are you going to do, Knight Captain?" Shadow taunted, walking slowly towards his injured target. Shining held himself up through sheer will, not willing to back down yet. Fighting the pain now as well, Shining proceeded to charge Shadow. He stood ready, but was quickly surprised when Shining chucked what was left of his sword as hard as he could at him. Shadow blocked the attack, almost caught by surprise by Shining returning his own knife to Shadow. He barely blocked it as it flew at his neck. All of this lead to Shining getting up close enough to deck Shadow in the stomach, forcing the air right out of him and sending him flying into a tree. Shining grinned, knowing that at the very least he could hold this small victory. "Not...bad..." Shadow wheezed out, somehow finding the strength to get back up quickly, refusing to make an opening out of his current state.

"Well...there goes that plan..." Shining said, breathing heavily. He started to stumble around, the loss of blood and fatigue finally getting to him. He slowly moved back towards Applejack's barrier, which had started to grow weak due to his current state.

"Giving up already?" Shadow called out, finally back in fighting shape.

"Nope..." Shining said, grinning through his pain. He didn't want to die here, not wanting to leave everything he cared about behind. His wife, sister, and his child on the way, he had too much to lose.

"You mind if I have some of that?" A voice spoke from behind Shining, more specifically from within the shield. Shining turned his view slightly, noticing Applejack staring up at him hungrily, though he knew right away that it wasn't Applejack at all. He recognized the voice immediately, as it had haunted his nightmares for some time. Her eyes, a familiar green, though the pupil was slitted, like the monster that she was.

"No...no no no..." Shining said, sitting on the ground in total disbelief. Shadow, who was slowly approaching, stopped as well, honestly confused. How was she awake, and why did Shining stare at her with fear and hate in his eyes. "Why won't you leave me alone!?" Shining yelled.

"Awe, that's adorable. I am glad you haven't forgotten about me, darling." The Applejack stood up, easily breaking through the barrier. She waved her hand around, a greenish glow starting to glow from Shining's side. He watched in horror as she...healed him?

"Wait...I though Applejack was incapable of using magic..." Shadow said officially lost at this point.

"She is." Shining added, continuing to glace up at her. "What the hell are you doing here?!" Shining yelled out.

"From where I am standing, I am currently keeping you from dying." She laughed.

"And I though...Applejack had a southern accent..." Shadow continued to throw in his observations.

"Well, I guess that means I am not Applejack then, doesn't it." The fake Applejack grinned, her form shifting to a tall figure, skin turning into a black chitin along with holes forming at the arms and legs. A long green dress replaced Applejacks clothes, and her blond hair started to turn a pale blue. "Pleasure to make your acquaintance. I am Queen Chrysalis, monarch to the kingdom of the changelings."

"What the hell is going on?!" Shadow yelled, startled and starting to get angry.

"That is a damn good question! Chrysalis, what the hell is going on?!" Shining said,

"What makes you think anything is going on?" Chrysalis pouted, crossing her arms over her chest. "I caught wind of this man, and decided to switch places with Applejack."

"What?! Why?!" Shining said shaking his head in a futile attempt to regain his sense of reality.

"Don't worry, first off. Applejack is fine, probably. I asked her to..." She looked over at the eager Shadow and grinned. "She is safe, I promise you that." Chrysalis said to Shining. "As for why, can't your future mother in law offer a helping hand from time to time?" This sentence threw the prince for a loop.

"What in your right mind makes you think I would become your son...in...?”

"Ahh, I guess the cats out of the bag, and on a side note, please play nicely with my little catty watty next time." Chrysalis said. Shining simply sat, staring off into the darkest parts of his mind to try and come to terms with his own inner turmoil. By the looks of it, that was going to take some time. "Aww he is so happy he is speechless!" Chrysalis said, jumping happily, almost like a little kid. She then turned to Shadow, who had been for the most part, trying only a little less harder than Shining Armor to process everything going on.

"I am not going to lie, I have no idea what to do now." Shadow said, staring at Chrysalis.

"You could try and interrogate me for information, but I just might like that..." She responded licking her lips seductively.

"Or you could just tell me and leave me to my job. I am sure no one has it out for those girls more than you." Shadow said, thankful his outfit hid his blush well.

"That is true, but they have treated my little boy so nicely, it would only be fair to respond in kind. I personally would rather have a different kind of fun, but I do enjoy being the one dominating as well, so what will it be, Shadow?" Chrysalis asked, walking slowly towards him.

"...I have my mission, and if taking you out has to be done, so be it." Shadow said taking a stance yet again.

"You're no fun!" Chrysalis said, shaking her head. "Here I am, willing to do unspeakable things with you, and you just want to fight. Well I am not one for fighting, so I guess I will have to bring someone in who is..." Chrysalis chucked, her form starting to change again, her green dress started to shimmer blue, as well as her hair. Quickly, Queen Chrysalis became Princess Luna in all of her regal glory.

"...what is that going to...?” Shadow never got to finish his question as it was already answered. The real Princess Luna popped into existence, looking absolutely livid. She quickly used her magic to immobilize the Chrysalis counterpart, though her smirk refused to leave her face.

"WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS, FOUL CHANGELING QUEEN?!" Luna yelled out her voice reverberating throughout the trees, forcing Shadow to have to cover his ears to prevent permanent damage. Chrysalis simply smiled and pointed to the injured Shining and then to Shadow. Luna took a few seconds, letting her rational side process the information quickly. "We will have a talk with you later..." Luna said, letting the magical grip go. She started to march quickly towards Shadow, grasping him with her magical grasp now.

"Wh...HOW!" Shadow asked, though his answer came in the form of a fist as Luna proceeded to repeatedly deck him in the face. Going at it until he was as good as unconscious. Chrysalis covered her eyes at the sight, though meekly peeking between her fingers.

"I must say I am glad you were away on business during the wedding, Princess Luna." Chrysalis said. Luna turned around, making the same threatening death march that she had moments ago did towards the defenseless Shadow, now heading towards Chrysalis.

"Firstly, take off that form immediately." Chrysalis complied, giggling slightly at the threatening aura coming from Luna. “Secondly, what is going on, Shining?"

Shining, who had remained unflinchingly lost, finally came back to his senses as Luna started talking. "Princess, I am sorry. I was unable to protect my target. Had..."Shining almost threw up in his mouth due to what he was to say. "...Chrysalis not come to save me, I would have surely died."

Author's Note:

Sorry It took so long. Needed some time to recover from writers block, but I am back at full steam, so thank you for waiting.