• Published 23rd Apr 2013
  • 1,782 Views, 130 Comments

Ace of Hearts - blowngasket



A continuation of the story Jokers Wild. We follow the antics of the master of disguise as he takes a break from city life in the small town of Ponyville. (humanized ponies warning)

  • ...
8
 130
 1,782

Duet

Chapter 23: Duet

"I don't see ya getting out of it." Applejack said, sipping a cup of coffee. Catacomb sighed and nodded, drinking his own. "I would be mighty pissed off walkin in on Applebloom and some other fella, especially if she was only in her undies."

"APPLEJACK!" Twilight yelled, already embarrassed by the situation as is, not to mention worried sick. She hid behind her cup of tea, not bothering to look at anyone.

"At least you have a few years to worry about that." Catacomb said, trying to stay positive. Applejack nodded, and pat him on the back.

"Me personally, I think you're a good fella. Still can't believe that Twi here actually fell for ya..." Applejack said.

"What's so odd about that?" Twilight asked, looking up from her tea.

"Nothin, really. Kinda pegged ya for liking someone with a brain." Applejack said, earning a grunt of disapproval from Catacomb. "I guess I owe Rainbow then..." Catacomb and Twilight stared curiously, causing Applejack to chuckle in embarrassment. "Sorry, we had a bet whether or not you two would actually hook up."

"No fair...I would have wanted in!" Catacomb said, expressing his only complain.

"That would have been cheating." Twilight said, still slightly sore about earlier. Catacomb laughed, then finished his cup of coffee.

"Anyways, this is going to go down, I just hope that no one else knows." Catacomb said, getting himself straightened out. Applejack chuckled nervously, Catacomb turning towards her, an eyebrow raised. "What did you do..." Catacomb looked around the room. "...and where did you say Spike went to?"

"Yeah...about that. He went to go let everyone else know...kinda...yeah." Applejack said slowly. Catacomb sighed yet again, casually walking away. "Well, at least got to make this entertaining then." Twilight quickly got up and followed, meeting him in the main room. She watched as he gathered up his belongings, sat down on the couch, and set his rune guns in front of him. He reached into his pocket, pulling out a handful of different shells. Sorting through them, he loaded what he thought he would need for the battle.

"You don't have to do this, Cata. I am sure we can talk this through." Twilight said, taking a seat next to Catacomb. He smiled sincerely, though his eyes said a different story.

"That would be nice, but your brother has his pride, something that can't be stripped away that easily, and in his eyes, I have severely offended it." Catacomb said, spinning the barrels of his guns, closing them back up with a flick of the wrist.

"This is stupid, just don't do it!" Twilight said, clearly frustrated with Catacomb and Shining at the moment. Catacomb chuckled, shaking his head.

"No, I want to do this." Catacomb said, taking a moment to sort through his leather case, finding the right shell for later. He picked out the one letting it become absorbed into his fake skin.

"Gosh! All of you are stupid. Fine! Go kill each other for all I care." Twilight said, raising her hands in defeat. Catacomb couldn't help but chuckle at her frustration.

"Yeah, I get it. Stupid guy things." Catacomb put his guns away, turning to the side and gently hugging her.

"Just try to come out of this alive...and that goes for him too." Twilight said, pushing her face into his chest.

"Don't worry, Twily. Ya can't kill stupid!" Applejack said, walking into the room and leaning over the edge of the couch. Catacomb chuckled, even earning a small laugh from Twilight.

"Don't worry, Twi. It isn't the first time we have fought. Full out sparring matches are common amongst us. If ya get killed, ya shouldn't have joined in the first place." Catacomb said, smiling.

"How many times have you won?" Twilight asked. Catacomb got up from his position and walked towards the door. He opened it and started to walk out. Before officially leaving, he turned and flashed a grin her way.

"Never."

---------- ---------- ----------

Over the course of the hour, the impossible happened. Spike, being the harbinger of disaster, had decided to let Pinkie know about the duel first. This of course, led to everyone in the circle of friends knowing, long before Spike even had a chance to tell anyone else. Discord, on the very moment of finding out, decided to have a little fun of his own. Now, in the normally empty section of the town's outskirts, away from view, was a giant open topped stadium, set up with bleachers, announcer stands, and most importantly, all of their friends.

Catacomb, Twilight, and Applejack slowly approached the intimidating building, walking towards the side that had his name and face on it. Twilight gave Catacomb a simple kiss, Applejack sending her support through teasing remarks. They then made their way towards the spectators’ entrance, not even questioning where or how this came into being. Catacomb, on the other hand, wondered how the hell this was done in the first place. He slowly walked through the dark tunnel moving closer to the light at the end. "Fitting..." Catacomb said to himself, laughing loudly to enjoy the echo. The light finally neared, Catacomb stepping into it to embrace the challenge with open arms and a pair of loaded rune guns.

The other side, Shining Armor stood, completely geared up in his armor, arms crossed and a serious look upon his face. Suddenly, a booming voice could be heard throughout the stadium, even if it had only a handful of people there. Everyone they knew showed up, including Big Mac and his sister, along with her friends. Not exactly the most kid friendly event, but he would have done the same anyways. The loudspeaker announced his entrance, Catacomb giving a meek wave to the crowd, not really sure how to react. It was obviously Discord behind the voice, his distinct accent hard to miss. Pinkie quickly walked up to Catacomb, wearing a fancy suit and holding what looked like a wire ball on a stick. She spoke into it, her voice echoing all throughout the stadium.

"Our challenger, the tricky Catacomb!" The sound of applause could be heard everywhere, obviously Discords doing as well, as there was not nearly enough people to make that much noise in the first place.

Catacomb gently placed his hand over the ball, whispering to her. "Pinkie...what the heck is going on?"

"When I heard about your duel with Shining Armor, I just had to tell everyone!" Pinkie said excitedly. Catacomb sighed and shook his head.

"You do know why we are fighting, right?" Catacomb asked. Pinkie stood there for a few seconds, thinking up her answer.

"Nope!" she said finally, still smiling. "But Discord said that if you were going to, it should be somewhere like this. I have agreed to be the co announcer for the event! Isn't that exciting?" She backed away and started speaking into the ball again. "Ladies and Gentleman, before our main event begins, I have been asked by my superiors to offer the fine gentleman facing off once last chance to talk before they fight. If you two would approach the center please!" Catacomb watched Shining Armor calmly approach the center of the arena, and stood there waiting. Pinkie had already found her way there, all just waiting on Catacomb. Catacomb took a deep breath and calmly walked towards the center himself. "Contestants, your final remarks before we begin?"

"Catacomb..." Shining Armor said, looking at him with complete seriousness. "...though I didn't expect this to get this out of hand, I give you a chance to leave unharmed." His voice was amplified throughout the stadium, everyone there able to hear him loud and clear. "Leave Twilight alone...don't go near her, don't even think about seeing her...because if you're not going to be serious, then you would just be a parasprite in her life." The audience gasped, all of them turning their heads towards the meek looking Twilight. They knew Catacomb and Shining were going to fight, but they had no idea why. This new development coming to life, everyone finally could see the reason for the fight and eagerly waited for Catacomb's response.

"So, if I leave Twilight, you would call this whole mess off." Catacomb said, staring into Shining's eyes. He nodded, forcing Catacomb to move closer to him. "Try to keep me from getting hurt..."

"I refuse to watch you ruin her life with your womanizing and all around stupidity. Even you should be smart enough to see that avoiding this would be the best for all of us." Shining Armor spoke, his eyes heated.

"You keep calling me stupid. Stupid Catacomb, the idiot of the group. Yet you're the dumbass who doesn't realize by doing this, I won't be the only person you would be hurting." Catacomb's tone started to rise, anger in his voice. "You even think to consider what is going on in Twilight's head right now?! She is a wreck, and knows whatever happens, someone will be getting hurt, and all because you think you know what is best for her. Well, let me tell you... A smart girl told me that I don't have the right to say what a person really wants..." Twilight, listening in, blushed lightly at the comment, though still trying to hide herself from the others. "Shining Armor...what gives you the right to think you can decide what she wants!? Where the hell do you get the privilege of saying I am not good enough for her. You don't even know who I really am! You never bother to ask, you never want to know. To you I am the stupid fool trying to make your life miserable." Catacomb's tone said he was flat out pissed, and Shining started to squeak back from his sudden and unexpected verbal onslaught. "If you know what is good for everyone, back down now, forget this ever happened, and let's celebrate my newfound romance with cheers. If you don't, I will have no problem at all taking you down a peg. You're not the only person fighting for someone else tonight. Make your choice..." Catacomb finally finished, taking a step back and awaiting Shining Armors response. The entire audience was quiet, not even a cheesy sound effect from Discord at the announcer's box.

"You're really going to lay your life on the line over this?" Shining Armor asked, glaring at Catacomb seriously. Catacomb responded by drawing his pistols out, holding them to his sides. "Catacomb, I will not take back my challenge. If you are being true, show me your resolve in the only way we know how." Shining Armor backed up and drew his sword holding it at the ready, while a shield spell armed his other hand. Pinkie, knowing when to get the hell out, did exactly that as she scrambled for the sidelines. A large protective barrier surrounded the entirety of the inside of the stadium, shielding those watching from harm.

---------- ---------- ---------

"Ladies and Gentleman. The dual between these two titans is about to commence." Discord spoke through the speakers, enjoying this more than he should. Twilight watched nervously, Rarity moving closer to her and hugging her.

"Don't worry, dear. I am not sure what happened, but I am sure they will be fine." Rarity said, trying to cheer up Twilight.

"But it's not only my brother, but my boyfriend as well..." Twilight said softly. Rarity nodded and stroked her hair in a comforting way, like a mother to a young child.

"Dear, I do understand that you are nervous. As insensitive as this seems, they are both doing this because they care about you." Rarity said softly.

Perry approached her from her other side, gently patting her back. "Twilight, I don't doubt your judgment. At first I was skeptical, but that little speech there sold it for me. Rarity is right, and no matter what caused this to start, they are both fighting for your happiness. They will both be fine."

"How can you be so sure?" Twilight asked, tears starting to form in her eyes.

"Shining and Catacomb both know how much you mean to each of them. I don't think either of them want to see you unhappy. Think of this, as umm...a test of manliness." Perry said, chuckling.

"If I wasn't so nervous...you'd be toast..." Twilight said, a small smile forming.

Perry chuckled, taking a seat next to her. "There you go. Shining won't submit until he is sure Catacomb is truthful..."

"It's true. To some, words just don't cut it. Them meatheads need to speak with their actions in order to come to an understanding." Applejack said from behind Twilight. "No lies are spoken when it comes to fisticuffs, ain't that right, Mac?"

"Eeyup..." the soft spoken man said, a few seats away. “The day some feller comes to take my sister's hand in marriage...they better be ready for me." Applejack smacked Big Mac across the head, earning a grunt from her brother. Twilight watched and listened, starting to see where he was coming from, being a brother himself.

"Thank you very much. It does help, I guess. I just wish they could have just talked it out." Twilight said. She looked around, noting someone missing from the group. "Perry, where did Fluttershy go?"

"She didn't want to watch, so she is up in the booth there with Discord, most like curled into a nervous ball." Perry said, chuckling lightly. Applejack turned and then smacked him across the head. "Hey...what was that for?"

"Ya dolt, go up there with her." Applejack said.

"But I wanna watch them kill each other..." Perry said, whining. He noticed Twilight shiver, instantly regretting his phrasing of words. "Sorry, you know what I meant..."

"I...I know..." Twilight said, not looking at him.

"I will be with Fluttershy then. Don't worry, just a slip of the tongue, nothing more." Perry said as he made his way towards the booth, ignoring the glares of everyone there.

Rarity sighed and smiled at Twilight. "He is just..."

"Don't worry, I know. That is how they are." Twilight said, nodding.

"Brutal savages’ men can be." Rarity said, giggling slightly. Twilight turned her head back to the arena, watching the two men taking their position, waiting for the signal to start. She took a deep breath, and decided to silently give them both her support, only wanting them to come out of this intact.

---------- ---------- ----------

Discord started the countdown, the two men continuing to stare at one another.

"Five."

This was the all too familiar feeling Catacomb had, and he was sure he wasn't the only one. His adrenaline was furiously pumping through him.

"Four."

Shining wasn't sure what to think at this point. He went into this believing that Catacomb was going to back down, that this was just another fling for him, but seeing him stand there, not a single doubt in his eyes, it made him nervous.

"Three."

Nervous. It was the only thing that could be said to describe how Catacomb felt. He never felt like this in his life. He never felt the need to defend anyone before, but right now, the choice was so easy to make that it felt like the only choice. He wasn't one hundred percent sure about his feelings for Twilight, but they definitely went beyond how he normally felt. He could taste and smell love, but was he truly feeling it?

"Two."

Shining secretly wanted Catacomb to quit. Every time they fought, Catacomb always screwed around, barely used his pistols, and was usually smiling the entire time. This time he was ready to go all out. Shining felt the overbearing weight of his decision on himself, Catacomb's level of intimidation at this point on par with Perry. The cold look.

"One."

The cold look that spoke only the desire to win, and nothing more. To prove himself right. Catacomb could clearly see it in Shining Armor's eyes. Normally he would be feeling that building pressure, the desire to jump and attack, the fight or flight in overload. The overbearing calm in this feeling completely shut it down though. Whatever he was feeling, Catacomb would not be able to step down from this one.

Shining Armor's pride versus Catacomb's resolve. That last second felt like forever, not only to the audience, but the fighters as well. It was that finite eternity where all questions were answered. That last moment of peace before all hell was to break loose.

"GO!"

The audience was immediate sent gasping as a series of fireballs made their way into Shining Armor's shield, the effects of the blast clearly seen as an after effect of ashes and smoke behind the Captain. Shining knew he had to get in close to do anything, but Catacomb was relentless, firing off a second volley with the other gun. The shots glowed as it approached, Shining instinctively holding up his shield to block the hit. The spells struck, exploding into a cloud of thick black smoke.

Catacomb took the distraction as a chance to reload, opening up the barrel of one gun, loading more fireball shells into the chamber, not expecting to see Shining Armor running out of the cloud, sword at the ready. Catacomb barely had time to finish loading, holding up the rune gun to block the sword, knocking it to the side. He then pointed the other one point blank at Shining, and pulled the trigger.

Shining moved swiftly, using his force shield to knock the gun off course, sending the spell inside into the wall, creating a patch of ice on it. Catacomb most likely loaded the right gun with attack spells, using the left for support and containment spells, his usual pattern. He proceeded with a side slash, Catacomb barely deflecting it upwards with his right gun.

At this range, it was a matter of conservation and timing. Catacomb couldn't squander his ammo yet, especially since his opponent refused to give him an opening to reload. The onslaught of sword swings continued, Catacomb using both guns now to effectively parry each attack.

To them, time was moving slowly, each move a counter and response to one another, but to everyone else, it was a crazy blur of fast paced attacks and explosions. Catacomb spotted an opening, holding out his left gun towards the ground. Shining didn't expect the resulting spell to be a fireball, as they were both blasted away, Catacomb flying into the force field while Shining skidded across the ground. Both had looked to sustain minor burns, but neither was out yet. Catacomb, hitting the ground afterwards, stumbled to get up. He got his distance, but he was nervous that he couldn't take advantage of it.

Shining coughed, trying to get the dry heat feeling out of his throat from the blast. He was more comfortable up close, completely blown away by Catacomb's change in attack pattern. Shining was having a hard time believing that Catacomb knew what his strategy was from the beginning. He got up and stared into the smoke and dust, trying to spot is opponent. He was suddenly surprised by another volley of fireballs, all of them barely blocked by his quickly diminishing shield. He needed to stand strong though, knowing that the opportunity to attack would come when Catacomb ran out of rounds.

Catacomb fired the sixth shot from his right pistol, feeling the heat starting to form from the energy output. He waited for the dust to clear, or more importantly, his opponent to make his attack. Sure enough, he could see Shining charging him, his shield finally destroyed after the assault, as he gripped the sword with both hands. Catacomb fired from his left gun, Shining moving past the first two while using a defensive spell to send the third off into the distance.

Twilight watched, eyes widening as she actually recognized the shells used. They were the kinetic blast spells used for practicing with. She was on the edge of her seat, all of her nerves jumping with each clash between the two.

Shining rushed in, confident that Catacomb was on empty, and quickly swung overhead, Catacomb moving both guns above him to catch the attack. The ground below slightly shook from the impact, Catacomb barely able to withstand the force of Shining Armor's attack. He had to move, side stepping while using the guns to throw his attack towards the ground, the sword splitting the solid floor of the stadium.

Catacomb used the momentum of his step to throw in an attack, attempting to strike Shining with the barrel of his gun, barely missing as Shining ducked under the attack. Pulling the sword out, Shining made a sweep at Catacomb.

Jumping back slightly, the sword only managed to graze his outfit, Catacomb not letting up to be relieved. He quickly proceed to move away, Shining attempting to regain his sense of balance after the failed swing. Opening the barrel of his gun, Catacomb flicked into it the shell he had hidden in his hand. He closed it and pointed, Shining already preparing a defensive spell to counter the attack. Catacomb quickly took aim and fired the gun, a small orb of light shooting out at a quick speed. Catacomb quickly moved back, knowing what to expect.

Shining summoned up a light wall, not really knowing what to expect at this point. The wall raised, he watched and waited for the spell fired to strike it. The orb quickly made contact with the wall, bouncing back and lingering in the air. Shining Armor barely had time to react when the orb stopped and started spinning in place quickly, launching a barrage of light needles in every which direction. They bounced off the force field, though easily stuck into everything else in their path. Shining remained behind the shield, waiting for the attack to finish.

Before he could even realize it, several light needles struck him in the back, his armor barely saving him. The attack ended, and thankfully, as the wall failed and Shining stepped forward, fumbling slightly. "Light grenade." Catacomb spoke, walking towards Shining, not going unscathed himself as he pulled a few needles from his own body. "Bounces off of anything nonphysical." Catacomb said, drawing up his guns.

"You...bounced them off the stadium barriers...lucky shot." Shining said, forcing out the searing needles with a telekinesis spell. He got up and readied himself, not willing to go down that easily. He stared down Catacomb, who most likely didn't have time to reload while dodging his own attack. He stepped forward, ignoring the pain, and continued to charge at Catacomb.

He was not going to run anymore, no more tricks. He didn't want to win from a 'lucky shot' as Shining had said. He was going to end this his way. As Shining approached him for the attack, Catacomb threw his guns away, Shining going wide eyes. He began to wonder if Catacomb had given up. He wasn't about to stop though. He had a feeling that wasn't the case, and holding back the attack might prove fatal.

Shining swung his sword fiercely, aiming to place a fatal blow. The sword was suddenly stopped, much to Shining's surprise, by Catacomb's bare hand. His real bare hand, chitin dented in from the impact. If he had caught it the wrong way, Catacomb would have possibly lost more than a few fingers, but here he was holding back Shining Armor's sword. He gripped the blade, moving it to the side as he decked Shining Armor with his free hand, also in original form. Catacomb slowly shifted himself into his true form, causing the members of the audience who didn't know to gasp in fear and wonder.

Shining stood up, glaring at the form of Catacomb, having nothing but bad memories as he looked at him. Catacomb walked over to Shining and punched him quickly, sending him skidding across the ground. "You don't like me because of who I am, so I am going to face you as I am!" Catacomb said, his voice raspy, and full of strength.

Shining Armor got up, and complied with him, throwing his own weapon to the side. The two ran at one another, colliding in a flurry of armored punches. What started out as a tactical battle turned into a full out brawl, both men letting out their fury for one another, possibly for the first time ever. Shining let his own rage consume him, feeling all of the hatred for what changelings did to him well up inside of him, refusing to let one of their kind become close to his own family. Catacomb continued fighting, for that exact reason. He didn't want to be judged based on who he was, but needed Shining to come to terms with it himself if they were ever going to get past this.

Punch after brutal punch, the two kept at it, Armor's being dented in, temper's flaring, and all the while the audience stared in complete silence, not even knowing what was going on anymore. The slugfest continued on, each trading blows with one another, blood dripping from each of their mouths, panting heavily.

The moment was almost a blur, as both fighters, each throwing a connecting punch, decked each other in the face, sending one another to the ground. Everyone sat at the edge of their seat, unable to bear the tension of the action suddenly grinding to a halt. They watched the two lay where they landed, eyes widening as they watched one start to rise. He slowly got up and made his way, shambling, towards his opponent.

"Go...ahead...and finish it...monster..." Shining said, gasping from his downed position as his eyes connected with the unbalanced Catacomb. His eyes, the clouded blue that anyone could recognize, glared at him intently, as he took deep breaths. Shining closed his eyes when he saw Catacomb's hand heading towards him, waiting for an impact that never came.

"If...I did that...Twilight would never...smile for me...again..." Catacomb said, his raspy voice hitting Shining like a brick. He opened his eyes, waiting for them to focus in and see instead of a fist, an outstretched hand. Shining looked upwards, his eyes asking why. Catacomb simply chuckled and remained where he was, smiling of all things. Shining laid there, processing everything going on. Here was his fears in physical form, standing before him, not only holding out a friendly hand, but smiling as well. He slowly reached up and took it, Catacomb helping him up to the best of his ability.

"You...why are you helping me?" Shining asked, as they both used each other for support.

"Because...you're a good brother..." Catacomb said, chuckling. "You...you may not have been able to tell...but there was a strong love...from all your attacks." Catacomb said, still panting slightly.

"You're an idiot...but I can't say you didn't win today..." Shining said, looking over at Catacomb. It felt odd to him, walking towards a group of stunned friends and family, side by side with something that he loathed.

"Feel better...getting to punch a changeling?" Catacomb said, a light chuckle from his voice.

"Yeah...strangely enough...though don't gloat about it. You still have...thirty four more wins until we are tied..." Shining Armor said, laughing. Catacomb couldn't help but laugh as well, though both of them coughed and clutched their ribs in pain. "Hurts to laugh..."

"I noticed..." Catacomb said, giving a flicker of a smile through the pain. Everyone finally managed to jump into the stadium, surrounding the two with questions, though they all stopped as Twilight approached them both, still shaking somewhat. Everyone moved away from the three, giving them the proper room to talk.

"Shining...Cata..." Twilight said, her voice having calmed down now that she knew both of them were still alive. "Do you two feel better know that you beat the crap out of each other?" Both of them looked at each other and then back at Twilight, giving a subtle nod "That is good...Dark clouds send forth your emissary."

"Twilight...wait a minute...don't be hasty..." Catacomb said, starting to look worried.

"Show judgment to those deemed unworthy..."

"Twily, don't worry. We’re are really friends now, right Cata buddy?" Shining said, getting nervous as well.

"Right-oh Shiny buddy. See?" Catacomb said, both of them flashing Twilight a nervous smile.

"LIGHTNING!" Twilight cried out, a storm cloud materializing above the two and striking them both. They both fell to the ground, staring up into the sky, twitching slightly as Twilight stormed off, furious.

"Think...she is mad..." Shining Armor asked between twitches...

"Yeah...but...I think...it's cute..." Catacomb responded, twitching as well.

"Good luck...then..."

"Thanks...I think...I'll need it."

Everyone stood around the two as they both passed out. Discord, still in the announcer box, started to speak again, echoing throughout the stadium. "And the winner is Twilight Sparkle!!!"