• Published 19th Apr 2013
  • 4,514 Views, 130 Comments

Radiance - flamevulture17



Three ponies appear over a new world, yet they can't seem to remember how or why. Twilight, Rainbow, and Cadence try to find out what makes this new world so different from their own.

  • ...
17
 130
 4,514

All The Same To You

Five years later.

Stanley woke to the motion of his bed, rocking back and forth within the small compartment he was in. The light inside the cabin was dim, but just enough to see his surroundings.

“Sleep well, kid?”

The navigator looked to his left to the deep voice that spoke to him. There sat his cousin Lucas, sitting on his own bunk with his arms wrapped around his knees.

Stanley sighed. “No.”

“Well now that makes two of us,” said Lucas.

“Where are we now?”

“We'll be docking inside an hour, and get off this god-forsaken boat.” Lucas rubbed the shivers on his legs. The cabin was a bit chilly.

There was an awkward silence between them as they tried not to look directly at each other. The sounds of the waves beyond the cabin door didn't help to curtail their anxieties. It only made it worse.

“So...” Lucas started. “You still, uh..., you still thinking about them.”

“What else is there to think about.” Stanley replied, visibly heartbroken. “I can't believe it's been so long. Five year can really test your memory.”

“You can say that again.” Lucas pulled the bed sheets close for comfort. “I didn't think it had that much of an impact on us. I mean look at us, we're practically best friends. I never once felt the need to smack some sense into you anymore. You seem more in control of yourself. I'm still curious at what you and the rainbow pegasus talk about on the hill that day.”

“Nothing,” Stanley lied. “We were just admiring the view.”

Even after five long years, he had continued to keep his past a secret from everyone. However, it's not like he needed to tell anyone anyways, he had moved on. Nothing was more important to him than his future.

“And Kate?” Stanley continued.

The captain contemplated for a moment before answering.

“She's doing well. She should be back from her trip this afternoon.”

Stanley hadn't spoken to Kate in little over nine months since her leave to the United States earlier that year. She said there was important opportunity that she wanted to take in California. He wished he could go to California, the place of dreams, movies stars, tasty wine, and everything. Kate neglected to mention what the job was, but trusted her to tell him right away if she got the position.

For the last few days, Stanley the navigator and Captain Lucas White set out to plot their routine sweep of their prime fishing grounds during the off season. There wasn't any place they'd rather be. For many, traveling the world seemed appealing to experience at their age, but they weren't like most. All because of that day when their lives changed forever.

Living boring and hostile lives one day, colorful talking ponies the next. They tried figuring out a reason for that encounter, but came to the same conclusion.

Bad luck.

Or good luck, depending on the how you look at it. At that time, that day was considered as a slap to the face and a sad coincidence. Now five years later, not one day goes by without thinking back to how much that day changed their lives.

And now all they could do was think about it some more. In the days that followed the whole Coast Guard incident, the three of them had quite a stressful run-in with the local authorities. As expected, they were happy with time wasted and a very flimsy explanation to cover the truth. Jail wasn't so bad for either of them, having the ponies on their minds for week to keep them busy.

Stanley kept thinking about that rainbow pony and her story. He wished he could ask her species come in that color or she was one of a kind. She seemed rather proud of herself while not doing a very good job of hiding it. After the shock wore off, she finally showed her true colors, so to speak.

“That time is it?” Lucas asked, laying on his back with his eyes closed.

Stanley took out his new cell phone from his pocket.

“Five thirty.”

“Huh.” Lucas sat up and reached reached under his bed. He took out a bottle of wine and two three ounce glasses to boot. “Well let us toast.”

Without another word, Stanley took the glass his cousin handed to him. Lucas poured sweet wine in Stanley's cup, then in his own. He set the black bottle next to him and raised his glass. Stanley did the same and they quickly drank their share of the moment.

For several seconds, Lucas looked straight up even after he lowered his empty cup, staring to nothing in particular. Stanley observed looked at him with a curious expression.

“What is it?” he asked.

“I don't know,” Lucas replied. “I was half-expecting something magical to magic just now.”

“That's just your imagination running off again.” Stanley rolled his eyes, chuckling. “I hope it's not like that time you got drunk on New Years Eve last year thinking Kate was still that princess pony in her body.”

“Was that the time I started acting like she was a god and kneeling before and all that, and I said some crazy things—“

“Like I love you.” Stanley finished.

“What!? No! I don't remember saying that.” Lucas defended, much to his embarrassment.

“Everyone knows it, we just decided to keep it from you to spare you the pain.”

Lucas crossed his arms and grumbled like adorably like a child. “A good friend you are, keeping secret and stuff, telling me I said those stupid words to Kate. Meanie.” He stuck his tongue out at his co-worker.

“Real mature man.” Stanley said jokingly, tossing his empty glass to Lucas.

“I didn't say those words.”

“I'm pretty sure you did.”

“Pretty sure? Not absolutely sure?”

“Look man just let it go,” the navigator pleaded. It was too late, the damage was already done.

“Did I really say those words?” Now Lucas was contemplating to himself while saying the words out loud.

Stanley grunted, wishing he had kept his mouth shut. Now he had to deal with to profound revelation Lucas would have for saying the magic words to the one person that could potentially return the favor. He decided to give his honest opinion.

“I think it's pretty clear you love Kate,” he said firmly.

Lucas looked up at him with saucers for eyes. The curling of his eyebrows suggested a mix of anger and denial.

“I do not!”

Stanley tilted his head. “There's no doubt that you have a thing for her. But hey, before you rage on me, I was hoping you'd make your move on her years ago. She seems really important to you.”

“You don't understand anything,” Lucas crossed his arms once more, looking off to the side. “A guy like me is not right for a girl like her.”

“How do you know that?”

“I just know it. The way she's treated me in the past was what set her apart from me.”

“That was five years ago, you have let it go and move on. If you keep up that mindset forever, of course she'll never see the real you.”

Lucas looked at Stanley as if he was prepared to kill him. This assessment was accurate as the captain launched himself across the room to attack him to get Stanley to shut up. The younger man narrowly avoided the surprise attack and managed to dart out of the cabin in a flash. He was on the deck of the ship in no time, but Lucas was close behind.

The captain was both playful and serious in his attempts to grab Stanley and knock some sense into him, but he was getting too old for that.

Now that they were on the main deck, they stopped their shenanigans. Lucas surveyed the area and found the New Zealand coast a couple miles west.

“Enough of this,” the captain said. “I want to go home.”

Lucas pushed his cousin out of his way and headed for the bridge. Stanley just stood there wondering if he was faking his anger in a friendly way or truly upset by the what he said. All he could do was go back to the cabin and wait for him to bring them ashore.

Not a half hour later, the fishing came to a perfect stop in the boat house. Lucas hopped overboard and tied the ropes on the starboard side to anchor the vessel in place. Stanley grabbed his backpack and followed him up the grass fields to the station further inland. Once the building cam into view, the first thing they noticed was the blue Honda sitting behind the white business truck.

Both men looked at each other and grinned. They picked up their speed and were running in no time. They quickly approached the porch and nearly launched themselves indoor to the lobby, nearly tripping over the suitcases sitting on the floor. Lucas didn't see them in time and lost his footing, falling to the floor in a loud thud.

Stanley snickered in amusement. “Nice going.”

The captain rapidly picked himself up and brushed himself off, but not before Kate walked in from the lounge holding a nice cold soda. She was wear and thick brown jacket and tight jeans just like the day she left.

“You would think a captain would be more careful,” she laughed.

“Kate!” Stanley shouted, walking over to give her a welcome home hug.

“Hey! What about me?” Lucas pouted, not liking being left out. Their hug was longer and more intimate. Stanley cleared his throat to end the lengthy hug.

“How you boys doing? You finish this week's charts? I'll be needing those course mapped as soon as you can.”

Lucas grunted. “Five seconds from your trip and you're already giving me orders.”

“Well it's your job isn't,” she teased, taking a brief sip.

“I know that, but couldn't you at least wait until you're settled in,” Lucas protested, picking up the luggage and moving it to the front counter.

“It won't take long. I see you're already doing that for me anyways.”

Lucas looked down at his hands. He didn't even realize he was carrying her bags away. He eyes opened wide and immediately dropped the suitcase where he stood.

“Hehe, o-oh, um, r-right,” he stuttered. “I uh-”

“Okay,” Stanley pitched in, pulling Lucas away by the shoulders. “I think that's enough fixation for now.” He pushed the love-drunk man into the next room where she could see of hear them. “Dude, you need to chill. You're embarrassing yourself out there.”

“Am not! I'm fine.”

Lucas could quite break free from Stanley's grip, whom had him by the elbows. He squirmed and squirmed, but would budge. Stanley brought him to the couch and sat him down on the spot.

“Stay here.”

He then walked back out to the lobby. “Kate!” he shouted. “There's something Lucas wants to tell you.”

Lucas immediately bolted from his seat and tackled him to the ground in the middle of the lobby. Luckily, Kate was not there.

“Stop it!” Lucas yelled. “You're not helping.”

“Why don't you just ask her to dinner.”

“W-why would I do that?”

“Why would you do what?”

The men on the ground snapped their head to the side to find Kate standing there again, but without her jacket and drink.

Stanley pushed the captain away from on top of him. The men got up and stood there side by side, one extremely nervous and one with a smug on his face.

“Umm...” Lucas scratched the back of his neck. “Uhhhh.”

She turned to young navigator. “What's wrong with him?”

“I think you broke him,” Stanley chuckled, patting her gently on the back.

She looked at him quizzically. “What did I do?”

“He's too afraid to ask you-”

He was interrupted by an object hitting his face. Stanley recoiled as he saw a book bounce off his face and hit the floor.

“OW!” he screamed, but shrugged it off. “Damn, you're so defensive.”

“What did you do that for?” Kate said to Lucas, then gasped. “Wait, you two aren't fighting again, right?”

“Nope,” Lucas rapidly chirped. “Not at all.”

Hiding his lies innocently were not his strong suit, but luckily she bought it with the cute look on his face.

“Good to hear,” Kate smiled. “I'm gonna need help finding next year's manifest, I misplaced it somewhere in my room. I'll unpack later.”

Without another word, Kate exited the lobby and headed upstairs. Lucas started to follow, but paused before Stanley. He leaned in and whispered, “I hate you.” He then proceed up the staircase and out of sight.

Stanley sighed. He was now alone to tend to himself. But what? Indecision struck him often, but suddenly remembering what day it was, he shrugged and walked out the front door with his trusty backpack in tow.

The young navigator walked south to the beach, only he wasn't going to the beach. With the hill just in sight, it brought back vivid memories of times past. Or just simply a conversation never to be forgotten. When he discussed his life's past with the blue pegasus, it got him thinking about what his life would be in five years.

“I guess some things never change,” he commented aloud to himself.

He reached the hill minutes later and sat down on the cliffside with his legs dangling over the edge. He removed his backpack and took out his mp3 player, put his headphones on, put on some instrumental piano music. He laid his back on the grass and closed his eyes, face towards the sky. He couldn't ask for anything better, this was his place of peace til the end of time.

Even before the first song ended, Stanley felt a strong, yet brief gust on wind blow right over him. He flinched and sat upwards in a panic, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. The ocean was still and ocean, the sky was still blue, and the green coastal landscape around him was as beautiful as ever.

He shrugged it off, but was still cautious. It was probably nothing to worry about.

No longer than ten seconds after laying back down. Something tapped on his forehead. His ripped his eyes open once more expecting to find either Lucas of Kate coming up to bother him, but he was dead wrong. His gaze came in contact with something far more surprising and colorful.

“Ahh!” he jolted awake, ripping his headphones off as his heart raced beneath his chest. He scurried away from the edge of the cliff and away from the perpetrator of his peace.

“Heya Stanley,” said the one and only blue pegasus with her rainbow mane, oddly dressed in a nice rainbow cape and gold adornments.

The navigator looked at her wide-eyed, bringing his breathing back down to normal, but his heart was still pounding in joy.

“Y-you remember me?” he said sluggishly. Stanley couldn't not believe his eyes, but knew it to be true.

“Yeah ya knuckle head, why would we forget the humans who saved us.” Rainbow Dash approached the man slowly well aware that she had spooked him more than intended. Fortunately, he didn't put his arms up to defend himself, but appeared to have frozen in place.

“Are you alright?” she asked as she tilted her head, holding out a hoof.

Stanley still struggled to figure out what's going on.

“We?”

“Oh yeah, how else do you think I got here?”

“M-magic?”

“I know that, but I'm no unicorn. That takes some egghead skill or alicorn power.” She laughed. Stanley didn't, but merely smiled. “Besides, who do you think is standing behind you?”

He slowly whipped his head around to find yet another pony towering over him, this one seemly radiating with a soft pink glow and a shimmer so subtle it almost looked like she was transparent. Like the day she left, but this time with a dress and flower in her long flowing hair. Her proximity caused him fall roll left right away. Staring up at her violet eyes, all he could articulate was one word at that moment.

“C-cadence?”

“How do you do master Stanley?” she greeted in a strangely formal manner.

He gulped. “What are you two doing here?”

“Three,” said another voice from above.

The human quickly rose to his feet, wobbling in place as he stepped back, looking for the third voice. “Who said that?”

“I did.”

Stanley looked up to discover the purple unicorn know as Twilight Sparkle, only something was obviously different about her apart from the crown on her head and pink dress with yellow ribbons. She's... flying!?

“H-how did— what are— huh?” The poor man was extremely confused, overwhelmed at the sudden appearance of what seemed to be the magical ponies that turned his life around.

“I apologize for showing up so suddenly,” Twilight said. “I was hoping I wouldn't catch you and your friends by surprise, but it seems Rainbow here was far too excited to see you again.”

Despite knowing each other a day, she like a best friend to him and was now sure she felt the same way.

“Why are you here?”

“Well, we thought we'd pay a visit to the ponies— I mean people who helped us at a time of our greatest need. Without you, we might not have made it back to Equestria.”

By now, the initial shock had worn off and Stanley nothing but happy.

“Well why don't we take this inside. I want any trouble if someone spots you out here, that won't be good.” He stuffed his music player into his backpack and flung in over his shoulder. “Come on. They'll be happy to see you.”

They three followed just above his head as all three of them hovered gently in the air, respecting their distance.

Arriving minutes later at the station, Stanley high-stepped his way to the porch and hopped the step, running across the floorboards to the front door.

But something stopped him. Stanley paused dead in his tracks right before reaching his hand for the doorknob. The three flying ponies landed behind at the foot of the steps but didn't advance any further. They could sense something wasn't quite right.

Stanley looked back at them, the put his ear to the door. He could hear voices inside, though oddly louder than usual, as if they were shouting. The words were muffled and incoherent, but present somewhere in the house.

He carefully opened the door and stuck his head inside. Nobody in the lobby as a silence dominated the interior. Strangely enough, the voices ceased. Me moved on to the next room to the left, the lounge. The carpet helped to suppress his footsteps, hoping to sneak up on his co-workers to see what the fuss is about.

There was no one in there either. He thought by now they found what they were looking for and were working on other tasks, but their voices didn't seem pleasant. Heading to the kitchen, he heard loud footsteps pound their way down the stairs in another part of the house followed by a door slam.

Stanley ran to the lobby as Kate came running down the stairs after them.

“What happened?” he asked, very concerned with the sound of those footsteps.

“Nothing, I just told Lucas maybe later and we should take it slow,” she replied, garnering a reaction from Stanley. Kate was about to run after him when she was interrupted.

“You what!?” came a yell from Stanley. He skipped on over to her to stop her from exiting the house. “Wait wait, what did he say?”

She stepped back and rolled her eyes.

“He wanted to know it I was seeing anyone yet. I said no, so he asked me if wanted to go to the local diner tomorrow tonight.” Kate rubbed her back regretfully. “Then we started to argue more than just dinner.”

“So that's what you two were yelling about?”

“Was we really that loud?” Kate's features sank low, saddened by the outcome of their confrontation. “I didn't mean to upset him. Now I need to make this right.”

She tried to push Stanley out of the way, but he wouldn't have it.

“No hold on,” he began, holding up his arms to block her exit. He breathed in slowly. “You know, this may be my fault.”

Kate crossed her arms, interested the nervous stance he was in. “How so?”

Stanley now took one long deep sigh to prepare himself for what he was about to say.

“Well, when we were out on the water earlier today, I kinda sorta pointed out his love for you. I told him he should just go for it and stop beating himself up for not seeing it sooner.”

Kate hugged her chest innocently, her eyes staring narrowly yet curiously at his. She pretended to show anger by angling her brows.

“Look look I didn't think he'd actually ask you out yet. I mentioned that you had similar feelings for him, you and I both know it.”

Kate turned his back on him for a second, pacing back and forth. She rubber her cheeks in thought, taking in the inevitable confession, but later rather than sooner.

“If you want, I can do talk to him.” He continued.

“No no, that's fine. I can handle it,” she waved a hand at him.

“Why did you reject him anyway?”

She snapped her head his direction. “I didn't reject him.”

“You didn't? But but, what about—“

*creak*

The door behind Stanley opened slightly to reveal Lucas' head.

“Are you quite done?” he said.

Stanley retreated the center of the room. “Y-you heard?”

“How can't I when I'm standing right outside.”

Stanley was visibly embarrassed, running his hands over his pale face.

“And when were you going to tell us we had visitors?” Lucas said, pushing the large front door wide open.

Outside stood the three brightly dressed ponies waiting patiently.

“Oh! U-uh,” Stanley stuttered. “I was going to tell you guys when I heard you two arguing in here.”

“Well that's all in the past,” Lucas stated, looking back outside and held out a hand. “Come on in folks, make yourselves at home!”

Kate was just as surprised as Lucas was. Stanley, on the other hand, felt guilty and relieved simultaneously.”

Twilight trotted inside, followed by Rainbow Dash and Princess Cadence respectively. They formed a semicircle around Katherine. Cadence took a step forward, smiling.

“If it's all the same to you, I heard you're struggling with love. I think I might be able to help with you with that.”

Author's Note:

Unedited.

Comments ( 6 )

One of my earlier reads. Love it.

You don't know how surprised - and happy - I am to see another chapter of this.

...and then a wild epilogue appears! One year later!

-Powers

Why couldn't the ponies just get tinfoil hats for the radio waves?

Not a bad story, good work.

Login or register to comment