• Published 29th Apr 2013
  • 24,293 Views, 1,355 Comments

Spellbound Fireflies - bats



Rainbow Dash teaches a preteen Scootaloo how to fly, strengthening their bonds, both to each other and the ponies around them. A story about love, family, and growing up.

  • ...
27
 1,355
 24,293

VII: An Awkward Conversation

Chapter 7
An Awkward Conversation

“Okay class, that’s it for today, have a wonderful afternoon!” Cheerilee began packing away her desk to the scuffing of chairs. Scootaloo left in a haze of determination, cutting resolutely through the crowd towards her scooter. She crouched low at the front wheel, checking the axle that had given her a little trouble in the morning. The soft sound of someone clearing their throat drew her attention.

Sweetie Belle pawed her hooves at the ground, a hopeful smile colored with apprehension on her lips. Scootaloo stood up a little too fast and knocked her scooter over. “Hi Sweetie Belle! What’s up?” Was her voice always that high-pitched?

“Can I talk to you for a minute, Scoots?” Scootaloo willed the heat rushing to her face away and nodded. Sweetie stepped closer, her mouth falling to a frown. “…I’m kinda worried about things…”

She quirked an eyebrow. “What things?”

The unicorn sighed and looked out over the playground. Apple Bloom and Rumble trotted slowly through the yard together, oblivious to those around them as they left towards Sweet Apple Acres. “We’re drifting, Scoots. The three of us.”

Scootaloo silently regarded their third, slowly trotting away with her coltfriend, and felt a wave of melancholy nostalgia. She sighed sadly, turning back to Sweetie Belle, listening closely.

“Apple Bloom’s off with Rumble all the time and you’re so busy…The last time I got to see ya was when we took that ride and talked…” Sweetie looked down, her eyes remote and mouth quivering. “I know it’s just that you’ve been really busy training with Rainbow and getting tutoring from Twilight, but I miss you, Scoots. I miss hangin’ out with you and Apple Bloom and going crusading…” She looked to her own bare flank and back to Scootaloo. “Is this what’s gonna happen? Are we just gonna drift apart and stop being friends?”

Scootaloo’s throat bobbed as she tried to piece the words together in her mind. “…No. No, ‘cause I don’t wanna stop being friends with you girls, either.” She wrapped her hooves around Sweetie Belle’s neck, pulling her into a hug. She felt her cheeks burn under her coat, but pushed it away, needing to convey how much she wanted, how much she needed to be there for the other filly. “I’m sorry I haven’t really been around. If I’m not runnin’ myself ragged with Rainbow Dash, I’m at the library with Twilight, or at home doin’ all the chores I’m s’posed to do. I’m tired and lonely, and I miss you, too. I wish there was somethin’ I could do to have more time, but…”

Scootaloo’s ability to form cognizant sentences, or even whole syllables, took a nose-dive when Sweetie Belle returned the hug, delicate hooves circling her middle and resting gently on her back just above her wings. A toneless buzzing entered her thoughts, warm and comforting, threatening to reduce her to stammering sputters. She shut her eyes tight, wishing desperately to have an answer, something to make Sweetie Belle smile at her.

Her eyes snapped open and she grinned broadly, pulling away from the hug to catch Sweetie’s gaze. A flash of a frown creased the unicorn’s muzzle before her expression evened out into curious neutrality. Scootaloo’s grin widened. “What if I ask Twilight if she can tutor you in magic? You said Rarity and your parents don’t really have time, right?”

Sweetie Belle’s eyes widened. “Y-yeah, I mean, they’ve all shown me a little, but…”

“A lot of my tutoring is just reading practice and fillin’ out homework stuff; Twilight could totally tutor both of us at the same time! We’d get to hang out way more often that way!” Sweetie Belle’s face brightened. “I’ll ask her today, alright? I’m sure she’ll say yes; Twilight’s totally awesome.”

“Th-That’d be great, Scoots,” Sweetie stammered, a blossom of pink on her cheeks. “I-I’d love it if you did that.” The pegasus scratched the back of her neck, sure her face was matching her friend’s in rosiness. “…I do miss Apple Bloom, too.”

Scootaloo’s smile fell a little as she turned to survey the empty schoolyard. “…Yeah, I do, too. It has only been two weeks since she an’ Rumble started going on dates, though.” She flashed a confident smirk at Sweetie Belle. “Give her a little time. She’ll come around again; things are probably just new and exciting for her.”

Sweetie nodded gently, looking at the ground. “I hope you’re right. Thanks, Scoots.” She pulled her friend into another hug, whispering, “Thanks for listening to me.”

“N-no sweat,” she muttered, trying to hide the waver in her voice, “You’ve been there to listen to me; least I could do is be there for you.”

The pleased smile on Sweetie’s face drove warmth to the tips of Scootaloo’s hooves. Sweetie Belle chimed, “I’ll see ya tomorrow then, Scoots,” and trotted out of the yard. Scootaloo watched her go, swallowing to clear the dryness from her throat. She shook her head, double-checked the front wheel on her scooter, and headed out towards the park. Her thoughts, filled with images of her crush, drifted towards the conversation she was about to have. Her smile gradually fell, replaced by a wobbly frown, as she entered the park’s path and spotted Rainbow and Twilight talking together. Scootaloo stopped in front of the pair, a nervousness keeping her eyes from meeting either of them. She propped her scooter next to the bench and smiled tentatively.

Rainbow winked at her marefriend before grinning at the filly. “Alright, Squirt, today’s the big day.”

“Huh?” Scootaloo’s wings fidgeted; did Rainbow Dash somehow know she needed to talk to them?

“Time for a speed test!” She flipped her mane out of her eyes with a hoof, smirking at Scootaloo. “Dependin’ on how ya do, we might be ready for long distance hovering. Ready?”

“Heck yeah!” Apprehension shoved to the back of her mind, Scootaloo leapt towards their patch of grass, but skidded to a stop. She turned back to Twilight, a sheepish grin on her muzzle. “Almost forgot, can I ask a favor, Twilight?”

Quirking a brow, Twilight said, “Sure, Scootaloo. What is it?”

“See, Sweetie Belle’s been telling me that she’s not getting a lot of magic training, ‘cause her parents and her sister are always so busy. I was thinkin’ that maybe while you’re tutoring me you could tutor her in magic?”

Twilight rubbed her chin as she sat at the bench and took off her saddlebag. “…Hmm…It shouldn’t be too difficult to make time for that during your lessons. I’d hate to think Sweetie Belle is missing out on developing her magic. I’ll need to ask permission first, but it shouldn’t be a problem.”

Scootaloo fought to keep the squeal of excitement out of her voice. “Thanks, Twilight!” She turned and hurried to the training grounds and started running through a set of wing-jacks to warm up her muscles. Rainbow Dash gave Twilight a lingering nuzzle in passing, dropping her face into the mare’s saddlebag and removing the stop-watch. She smirked at Twilight around the watch before turning and trotting up to the filly.

“Alright, we’re aiming for eighty or more wing-ups in a minute.” Scootaloo dropped to the sod and spread her wings, taking a deep breath. “Ready? Set?” Rainbow’s hoof snapped down on the timer’s button. “Go!”

Scootaloo thundered through the exercises. Wings pumping, dropping and lifting her small frame from the ground at a fevered pitch, she pushed herself to her comfortable limits and past them. Rainbow Dash grinned at her with glowing pride, her eyes jumping back and forth from the timer to her bobbing form. “That was fifty, Scoots! Twenty-five more seconds, keep goin’!”

Twilight’s voice, much closer than she was expecting, chimed in alongside Rainbow’s. “You can do it, Scootaloo! Twenty-five more!”

Scootaloo grinned through the sweat pouring off her face, pushing through the tremors in her wings, willing herself to not falter.

“Ten seconds!” Rainbow cheered.

“Only a few more to eighty! You can make it!”

Wings and sides burning, the filly grit her teeth and grunted to pull herself up. Tremors raced down her wings and across her back. With each successful rep being completed slower than the one before, her nerve began to waver, sure that with the next descent her weary limbs would give out and she’d thump to the grass. Holding herself up on wavering wings with only seconds remaining, she groaned out, “Can’t…”

Rainbow and Twilight’s voices melded together, a bright battle cry of, “Yes you can!” echoing through the park. Scootaloo closed her eyes, letting the words bounce through her head, and conjured the dark yellow gaze of the colt to her mind. She dropped low and pushed up again.

“Time!” Rainbow cheered, snapping the stopwatch off.

Scootaloo fell muzzle-first to the grass and released a slow whine. “…How many was that?”

Smirking at Twilight, Rainbow dropped her tone to reserved. “Well, it wasn’t eighty.”

Scootaloo weakly struck the ground with a hoof. “Dang it…” She released a breathless whinny in frustration.

Twilight and Rainbow Dash grinned at each other, exclaiming in unison, “It was eighty-four!”

Snapping her eyes open wide and leaping to her hooves, Scootaloo flashed them both a huge smile. “I did it? I did it!” The mares both smiled fondly, watching the filly prance in place. “This is awesome! So I get to do hovering stuff now?”

“Yep!” Rainbow Dash grinned at the filly, handing the timer over to Twilight. “Eighty-four in a minute should be strong enough to get ya hovering a bit. You’re not gonna be able to get any lift, but you’ll be up off the ground for a good amount of time.”

Scootaloo squeaked with joy, bouncing on her hooves. “Can we do it now?! How do we do it now?!”

Chuckling, Rainbow Dash nodded gently. “I think we can manage a quick one now, but we’re gonna need to start goin’ through wing motions before we do a real one.”

“Alright! So whadda we do?” She grinned brightly, leaning towards Rainbow with her wings splayed and fidgeting.

Rainbow leaned back and shared a conspiratorial glance with Twilight. “Well, Scoots…Flap!” she shouted, lunging forward and sweeping her forelegs under Scootaloo’s belly. Scooping the filly up in her grip, she swung around in a circle and tossed her high into the air. Scootaloo yelped, rapidly beating her wings as her legs kicked haphazardly to find purchase. She slowly opened her tightly-scrunched eyes and looked down. The park darted left and right, back and forth, and spun underneath her as she inexpertly jerked through the air, but she wasn’t falling. Rainbow Dash, hovering a foot off the ground, stayed directly beneath her with hooves outstretched to catch her.

A gigantic, foolish grin on her face, Scootaloo worked her wings with all she had and watched herself slowly sink back towards the ground inch by inch. No idea what to do with her wings exactly, she sputtered violently side to side, but Rainbow’s careful adjustments and smiling face put her entirely at ease. A few minutes into her giggling descent, she veered too sharply to remain upright and spun out, tumbling downwards. In a flash, Rainbow caught her and set her back on her hooves next to Twilight.

“Oh my gosh,” Scootaloo panted, “That was so awesome!” Rainbow and Twilight exchanged happy smiles, beaming with pride at the filly. “Can I do that again?”

“Let’s get ya started on wing positions first, that way ya don’t go spinnin’ out next time.”

Twilight turned and trotted back towards the bench. On her way, she said, “You looked great up there, Scootaloo.” The filly grinned at her before shifting her attention to Rainbow Dash.

“Alright, so ya got a couple of wing positions that are really important…” Scootaloo followed along with Rainbow, matching her wings to the daredevil’s examples and cycling through them to get used to how they felt. Rainbow corrected her at times with a gentle hoof, guiding her little limbs into the proper placement.

For half of an hour, they ran through wing placement, going for accuracy and then speed. After a short break, the mare led Scootaloo through a strength training regimen. At random points during reps, she’d call out a specific placement for controlling direction, catching updrafts, changing speed, and altering pitch. Scootaloo leapt up mid-rep and snapped her wings into position. Rainbow corrected any mistakes before they resumed muscle-building, burning through their workout time.

“Alright, time for stretches. You did really awesome today, Scoots. We’ll get you really hovering soon and then we’re in the home stretch.” Twilight cantered up to meet them as Scootaloo started stretching. “Hey Twi’. Good show as always?”

“Obviously.”

As the mares chuckled, nervousness stole back over the filly. Scootaloo hesitated, going over this plan she’d made in her head. She realized all she had actually decided on was talking to them. Feeling wholly unprepared, she decided it was probably best to back out and ask another time. She finished her stretches and glanced up with words of parting on her lips until she caught the look the two were exchanging. Warm and gentle affection radiated from both ponies, an all-encompassing contentment filling their eyes and brightening their smiles. Scootaloo changed her mind and decided to dive in.

“Hey…Rainbow? Twilight?”

Turning, Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow. “Yeah, squirt?”

Picking over her words fumblingly, Scootaloo struggled out, “I was wondering…if I could talk to you about something. Both of you.”

Twilight stepped forward, leaning a little closer. “Of course you can, Scootaloo. What do you need?”

She glanced fitfully around the park, grimacing. “Maybe…somewhere else?”

The couple exchanged a confused glance. Frowning, Rainbow asked, “Is everything okay, Scoots?”

Steeling her nerves and inhaling slowly, Scootaloo closed her eyes and murmured, “I…think I might be gay.”

Rainbow and Twilight’s wide eyes met, a silent volley of panic passed back and forth in a matter of moments. Twilight raised an eyebrow and her marefriend nodded gently. The unicorn turned back to Scootaloo, who was sitting on her haunches and fidgeting in discomfort. “…Let’s go back to the library.”

Scootaloo nodded and the three set off at a trot, the filly walking her scooter alongside her. The silence growing thick, Twilight looked to Rainbow with pleading eyes. The daredevil gave her a bewildered shrug. Twilight opened her mouth, but no sound came out, so she glared at Rainbow. Rainbow voicelessly mouthed, ‘What am I supposed to say?’ with exaggerated movements. Twilight rolled her eyes.

Scootaloo trudged alongside the noiselessly bickering couple, trying to dismiss her embarrassment. In silence, they filed into the library.

“Okay,” Twilight breathed, “Why don’t you two sit down and I’ll make some coffee. Hot chocolate, Scootaloo?”

Smirking weakly, Scootaloo mumbled, “I’m surprised you didn’t say ‘ice cream.’” Rainbow failed to stifle her snort and Twilight giggled apprehensively as she headed to the kitchen. The daredevil sat on a floor pillow in front of the fireplace and gave the filly a guarded smile. Scootaloo joined her on a different pillow. “So, uhh…”

“…Yeah.” Rainbow’s smile turned forced and pained. Scootaloo returned the lock-jaw grin, scuffing at the floor with a hoof. Both of their gazes darted fitfully back and forth from the kitchen and each other. At long last, Twilight returned with three steaming mugs floating in a field of energy. Scootaloo gripped her hot chocolate in both hooves as Twilight settled down next to her marefriend.

Twilight cleared her throat. “Well…first thing, Scootaloo, Rainbow and I are glad that you felt comfortable enough with us to come to us about this.” She shot Rainbow Dash a testing glare that didn’t invite any arguments. Rainbow blinked in bewilderment. “So, what, uh, what makes you think that you’re gay?”

Staring down at her steaming cocoa, Scootaloo took a slow sip to buy herself some time. “…Well…” She scratched at her neck. “…I don’t really…look at colts. But, well…I do look at fillies.” She felt heat rush to her face. “N-not all of the fillies in my class, but some of ‘em…and, uh, one of ‘em more than others…”

Twilight looked to Rainbow Dash, who pleaded with her eyes for the unicorn to take the lead. Twilight sighed and nodded. “Well, it’s important for you to know a couple of things first. It’s perfectly normal for fillies or colts to be curious about ponies the same gender as themselves, and that doesn’t automatically make them gay. Also, not being interested in ponies of the opposite gender doesn’t make somepony gay, either. You might just not be ready to be interested in colts yet...” She cleared her throat and took a long sip from her floating coffee mug. “…This filly that’s caught your eye—”

Scootaloo straightened on the pillow, her eyes darting nervously around the room. She took a large swig of her hot chocolate and burned her mouth.

Twilight stifled her nervous chuckle. “I’m not gonna ask you who, that’s between you and her.” Scootaloo sighed in relief and relaxed again, running her slightly scorched tongue over her teeth. “I was gonna ask you what it is about her that you like. Are you just curious about her?” Twilight’s face colored slightly and she willed herself to remain frank and open. “About…her body?”

Scootaloo thought her cheeks might burst into flame. “Uhm…” She cleared her throat a couple times, refusing to raise her eyes to meet Twilight’s gaze. Rainbow Dash was having a similar reaction, wishing she had a bucket of sand she could bury her head under until this conversation was over. “I…dunno…I mean…uh…I think about her a lot. And I really like seeing her happy. And when she looks at me or we hug…I don’t ever want it to stop. I…haven’t really thought about any of that…other stuff.”

Nodding, Twilight gently said, “Well, Scootaloo…You might be gay. Neither Rainbow nor I could know for sure, the only pony who can know is you. You’re still awfully young and there’s a chance that as you grow older you’ll find an interest in colts, but you might just be interested in fillies…like us.” She turned and smiled at Rainbow Dash, who attempted to return the gesture through her awkward fidgets. She turned back to Scootaloo. “...You should know, if you don’t already, that some ponies aren’t very...accepting of others being gay. You might run into ponies that will have a problem with it and give you a hard time. So, if you are gay and you ever need any help, you can always come to us. Okay, Scootaloo?”

Slowly drawing her eyes up to meet Twilight’s face, Scootaloo felt some of the discomfort bleed from the room. She nodded slowly at Twilight and asked, “How can I know for sure?”

Twilight frowned in thought. “…It depends on how you feel about this filly, or other fillies. You said you haven’t thought about…” she cleared her throat and took a swig of coffee, “…yeah, well, so these feelings you do have. Is it just that she’s a really close friend and you like being around her? Or is it more than that? Do you want to hold hooves with her…maybe kiss her?”

Scootaloo thought about it, picturing sitting next to Sweetie Belle with a white hoof in her grip. She thought about the unicorn’s smile as their eyes met, leaning in closer, feeling the gentle breaths on her muzzle…

She shook her head, feeling out of sorts. Her cheeks were warm and she seemed to be uncontrollably smiling. “I..maybe?” Furrowing her brow she leaned in closer. “I’m…pretty sure I do like her that way…”

Twilight smiled warmly. “You should make sure you’re absolutely positive, and straight or gay, you can always turn to us for anything.”

Scootaloo grinned at the two, feeling most of the pressure lift away from her chest. “…Should I tell her?”

With the tension out of the room and her bravado restored, Rainbow waved a hoof dismissively. “Anypony would be dyin’ to go out with an awesome filly like you, but ya don’t need to rush into things. Take your time, make sure you know what ya want, and be cool about it.” She flashed a knowing look to the unicorn, exchanging a wordless conversation Scootaloo couldn’t follow. “All those movies and books about love are full of sappy junk. Goin’ out with other ponies isn’t this big, huge thing, so don’t try to make it something like that.” She leaned in closer. “When you’re ready, you should just ask her out. If she says no, things might be a little awkward, but you’ll both get over it and still be friends and there’ll be other fillies. If she says yes, then score one for Scootaloo! Just…take your time with it and don’t build it up in your head, alright? Trust us; gettin’ worked up about it just makes things awkward.”

“Okay…” She frowned in thought. “Was it really awkward when you two got together? How’d that happen, anyway?”

Rainbow looked to her marefriend, a small smile spreading across her face. “That’s…kind of a long story, Squirt.”

Twilight grinned back, a hoof drifting up to cup the pegasus’ face. “…I think we might have the time to tell it.”

They stared at each other for a moment and Scootaloo once again felt the primal connection between the couple on the air like charged electricity. Rainbow nuzzled into the hoof on her face and asked, “Who should tell it?”

“We both will. Why don’t you start?”

Smiling, Scootaloo hunkered down further into her pillow and sipped her cocoa. Rainbow Dash ran a hoof through her mane, puffed out her chest with a cocky grin on her muzzle, and began to speak.

Author's Note:

lol, cliffhangers. Also: the gay-talk has nothing on the 'I think I'm gay'-talk in awkwardness.

So, depending on how drafting goes this week, next week might be a double-update. We'll see how that goes. I'll let you know then.

Thanks for reading.