• Published 29th Apr 2013
  • 24,315 Views, 1,355 Comments

Spellbound Fireflies - bats



Rainbow Dash teaches a preteen Scootaloo how to fly, strengthening their bonds, both to each other and the ponies around them. A story about love, family, and growing up.

  • ...
27
 1,355
 24,315

XII: More Changes

Chapter 12
More Changes

“Okay, Scoots!” Rainbow shouted from the hill, “Try a slow spiral! Counter-clockwise!”

Twilight and Sweetie Belle watched Scootaloo shift her beating wings and begin to bank around in a circle a couple dozen feet above the ground, her legs tucked close to her body and a wide, devil-may-care grin on her muzzle. The pair of unicorns cheered as she finished her descent, landing gently on the hill.

Scootaloo turned as Rainbow trotted up to her and leaned in close. The daredevil had a wicked smirk plastered across her face and her eyes drew down in a conspiratorial leer. “Hey, Scoots. Guess what?”

Raising an eyebrow, Scootaloo asked, “What?”

Rainbow leaned in further. “You’re ready.”

Scootaloo sat down heavily. Her jaw fell open. “…What?”

“You’re ready. You got all your positions down an’ you can use ‘em in the air. Soon as your muscles are strong enough to handle take-off, you’ll be flyin’ like a pro.” Scootaloo gaped at Rainbow while the mare grinned. She ruffled her trainee’s mane. “You’ve worked hard these last few months, Scoots. Really, really hard. I’m proud of you.” She dropped her voice, her tone quiet but emphatic. “My dad would be proud of you.”

Scootaloo’s throat bobbed silently. She shook her head to clear it. “…What?”

Snorting and patting the little pegasus on her shoulder, Rainbow said, “Snap out of it, squirt.”

“I’m…ready?” Her voice was awed and quiet. Rainbow grinned at her. She shook her head again, feeling dazed.

“We’re in that home stretch, Scoots. You’ve got positions and control down, all that’s left is getting your strength all the way up. And you’ve been workin’ hard at that, too; remember how tired your wings got after we really started glidin’?” Scootaloo nodded numbly. “You were in the air twice as long this time. Do they hurt at all?”

Glancing over her shoulder at her still twitching limbs, she said, “…No.”

“Exactly. I’d say we’ve got a few more weeks of strength training left. We’ll put ya through one last speed-test, and if you make it, we’ll be ready to get you actually flying.”

Scootaloo felt a bead of wetness run down her cheek. She touched her hoof to her face and found she was crying. “I’m…I’m gonna do it…I’m gonna make it…” With sudden speed she lunged at Rainbow Dash and hugged the mare around the neck. “Oh, thank you, Rainbow!” she gushed, “Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

Beaming with pride, Rainbow hugged the little filly back. “Don’t thank me. You did this, Scoots. This is all you.”

Scootaloo sniffled and hugged tighter, uncontrollable and breathless giggles of relief shaking her small frame. Sweetie Belle turned to Twilight and asked, “What’s goin’ on?”

“Well, Rainbow’s been telling me Scootaloo’s getting close to being ready. I’d bet that last glide was it and Scootaloo’s ready for actual flight.”

Sweetie Belle’s eyes widened and a smile lit up her face. “Today?”

Twilight shook her head, musing, “Probably not. Rainbow said after Scootaloo was ready, they’d have two more weeks of strength building. But she’s almost done now.”

Sweetie Belle bounced with excitement on the bench, watching the two pegasi slowly pull away and Rainbow ruffle her friend’s mane. As they settled into a strength training routine, her expression slowly faded into contemplation. Without looking away from the pair, she asked in a low voice, “…What’s it like bein’ with Rainbow Dash?”

Twilight blinked and shook her head to clear it. She raised an eyebrow. “Come again?”

“You know…” Sweetie sat back on the bench, a small frown on her lips. “I know you’re both really happy…anypony who sees you together can tell that. But…do you ever get a hard time? Is anypony mean to you?” Her voice dropped lower. “…Did you lose any friends?”

Twilight’s attention shifted entirely to her student in magic. Her brow knit and she mulled over her words carefully. “Rainbow and I have…well, I can’t say we’ve not gotten any looks. It’s been…hard sometimes. Not everypony has understood, or accepted us.” She watched Sweetie Belle crumple in on herself a nearly imperceptible amount. She raised her voice and added more strength to her tone. “But most of the time it hasn’t been like that. I haven’t lost any friends, and neither has Rainbow. We’ve had a lot of support and the few times we’ve had problems has been from ponies neither of us really knew.”

Sweetie Belle’s ear flicked with interest at Twilight’s words while her eyes were trained on Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash. Twilight glanced over at the pair and back at Sweetie Belle. She cleared her throat and continued, “It’s not always easy, but I think that’s true for everypony. Sometimes life isn’t very easy…” She looked back at her marefriend and a fond smile pulled at her muzzle. “…I wouldn’t trade Rainbow for an easier time, though. You’re right that we’re happy. It could be ten times harder, and I’d still be happy. We have our friends, we have our dreams, we have our jobs and our hobbies, and we have each other. The stuff a few close-minded ponies say doesn’t matter.”

Too focused on her marefriend leading Scootaloo through a set of one-winged push-ups, Twilight didn’t notice Sweetie Belle sit up a little straighter.

“And that’s ten; fifteen second rest,” Rainbow said, watching Scootaloo drop back to the ground and switch wings. She smirked pridefully; her pupil didn’t look like the three sets of one-winged push-ups were any strain at all. “Remember how hard these used to be?” Scootaloo grinned. “Okay, next set.”

As the filly worked, Rainbow’s mind wandered and her mouth fell into a frown. “…Hey, how’s stuff at home? Any change?”

Scootaloo’s smile changed to a scowl. “No. I don’t care, though. They don’t wanna talk to me, why should I care?”

Rainbow sighed sadly, shaking her head. “Scoots…”

“No, really. Why should I care?” she spat, “What do they do for me? I get food and stuff, but that’s not new. They never really did anything before; all that’s different is it’s quiet.”

“That’s ten, ‘nother break.” Rainbow closed her eyes, lowering her head. “I don’t want you to have a hard time, is all.”

“I don’t,” Scootaloo said simply, “Since school got out I get my chores done and spend most of the day with Sweetie or AB. What do I need the Takers for if I got them? Or you an’ Twilight? It’s just a place to eat and sleep.”

Rainbow swallowed thickly and for several moments she didn’t say anything. Her tone low and defeated, she finally said, “Next set. Ready?”

The pair worked through the remaining time for Scootaloo’s strength training in relative silence while Twilight and Sweetie Belle watched on, sometimes with keen interest, sometimes talking. Part of the way through, Twilight floated a few of the really heavy practice stones out of her saddlebag for Sweetie Belle to levitate. They left the bench and cantered over as Scootaloo began her stretches.

Twilight smiled as they neared, calling, “Hey girls, good practice?”

Scootaloo grinned widely, bending down low and stretching her right wing straight behind her. As the muscles along the hard-working filly’s side flexed under her coat, a rosy dusting of pink entered Sweetie Belle’s cheeks. Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow and hid her smile behind a hoof. Scootaloo excitedly called, “I’m almost done! Once I’m all the way strong enough, I’ll be able to fly!”

Sweetie Belle bounced on her hooves. “Twilight said she thought that’s what happened! I’m so happy for you!”

Straightening up and fluffing out her wings before folding them to her sides, Scootaloo asked, “You’ll be there right?”

“Course I will!”

Still grinning, Rainbow said, “Alright, Scoots. I want ya doin’ fifty one-winged push-ups a day, both wings, plus all your stretches. If you do that, you should be ready to go for a speed test in a couple weeks. Also...” leaning down, Rainbow looked at the filly sternly. “I know you’re gonna want to go jumpin’ off of stuff and gliding around half the town, but this last bit’s gonna be pretty tough on your muscles. So hold off on any gliding without me there.” Scootaloo grumbled. “I know, I’d hate it, too, but it’s important. We got a deal?” She extended a hoof.

Scootaloo clacked her own hoof to Rainbow’s. “We got a deal.”

“Alright then, catch ya both later.” She waved as Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle rushed back to the bench and clambered onto the scooter, quickly making their way from the park. As they disappeared from sight, Twilight nuzzled her cheek. She smiled wider, saying, “Hey, beautiful.”

“Mmm, hey yourself.” She turned so their sides were pressed together and Rainbow extended a wing over her back. She nuzzled in closer.

“You’re affectionate,” Rainbow teased, “Watchin’ me coach get you all hot and bothered?”

“Mmm, just something Sweetie Belle asked about. She wanted to know what it’s like for us as a gay couple. Reminded me how happy I am.”

Rainbow grinned and pressed her face into Twilight’s mane. “I’m happy, too. And Sweetie Belle asked about us? Like, if we were happy?”

“No…” she tapped her chin. “No, she was wanting to know if we’ve had problems. Funny looks, lost friends, that sort of thing.”

“Well!” Rainbow exclaimed, stepping away to shake stiffness from her wings and back. She cantered towards Twilight’s saddlebag still on the bench. “That settles that for me.”

Twilight moved to catch up. “Hmm?”

“Soon as Scoots is ready to ask her out, I’ll bet ya ten bits Sweetie Belle says yes.” At Twilight’s raised eyebrow, she snickered and winked. “You missed the blush on Sweetie’s face when Scoots was all bent over stretchin’.”

Twilight giggled and shook her head. “How come I never pick up on this stuff?”

“I dunno.” Rainbow lifted the saddlebag in her teeth and dropped it onto Twilight’s back. “Wish I picked up on it when we first got together.”

“Should we say anything? To either of them?”

“Heck no; it’s too fun to watch.”

Twilight laughed louder. “It really, really is.”

“We’ll make popcorn, and when they finally get it out in the open, we’ll crack open that bottle of wine we’ve been saving.”

“Sounds like a date,” Twilight agreed as Rainbow bent low for her to climb on. Her smile turned thoughtful. “Actually, instead of flying home…” She turned towards the pathway leading out of the park. “I know it isn’t raining this time, but…”

Rainbow darted to her side and lowered down. “You’re on. Ready?” Twilight crouched and they shared a challenging smirk.

They counted out together, “One…two…three!”

In a blur, they bolted down the path, their hooves a rumbling clatter barely louder than their mirth. Bursting from the park they thundered down the roads of Ponyville, between shops and homes, swerving around the few ponies milling about with eyes more on each other than where they were going.

As they galloped, they both found themselves mentally transported back in time. In flashes, the streets turned empty and dark, rain animating every surface in violent splashes of water leaping into the air from the impact. The sunlight shifted to flickering lantern light, reflecting off their soaked coats. Their traded grins were framed intermittently by plastered manes and the dazzling afternoon’s brightness. The phantom memory of a medal around Twilight’s neck reflected gold into Rainbow’s eyes.

In seemingly no time at all, they reached the library and Rainbow tackled the unicorn. They burst through the door, tumbling end over end in each other’s hooves with a flurry of giggles. Laughing breathlessly, Rainbow looked into the eyes of her marefriend, sitting on top of her and pinning her down. She wrapped all six limbs around Twilight and hugged her close. “I love you so much, Twi’.”

“I love you.” Their lips met and the world fell quiet around them; two ponies that had each other without any other cares or worries.

An embarrassed cough from the doorway snapped them back to reality. Derpy chewed her lip and blushed, pointedly looking several feet above the embracing mares. Or maybe directly at them. “I’m, uhh…real sorry to interrupt, but I got some mail for you.”

Clearing her throat repeatedly, Twilight clambered off of Rainbow Dash. She straightened her mane with a hoof and willed the heat from her cheeks. Her face refused to cooperate. “Erm. Yes. If you’ll excuse me…” She rushed up the stairs with her tail tucked between her legs.

Sighing and grumbling, Rainbow stood up. “I uhh…” She coughed. “Sorry.”

“No, I’m sorry,” Derpy said, scuffing her hooves on the floor.

They both looked away from each other for several moments. “So, uhh…you said you had mail?”

“Yes, mail,” she said quickly, pulling a mouthful of letters from her bag. “H’re y’ ‘o.”

“Thanks,” Rainbow mumbled, taking the letters and gently shutting the door after the mail mare departed. Sighing again, she dropped the letters onto Twilight’s desk and rifled through them. “Well, that wasn’t as bad as Mrs. Taker,” she mumbled to herself, “Gotta remember to close the door before make-outs…” She turned to follow Twilight upstairs and try to turn morbid embarrassment into amused embarrassment, then hopefully into more make-outs, before a letter addressed to her caught her eye. The familiar seal drew a raised brow and she grabbed a letter opener in her teeth.

Rainbow read the letter silently to herself. She lost all the strength in her hindlegs and fell to her haunches, stooping over the laid-out missive to read it again and again. The letter opener clattered to the floor from her open jaw.

After the tenth reread, Rainbow carefully slid the letter back into its envelope. She opened her personal drawer in the desk and unceremoniously stuffed it under a pile of papers, journals, and a small wooden box. Slamming the drawer shut, she closed her eyes and took steady breaths as her mind reeled.

The image of Twilight looming above her, smiling and giggling, pushed her jumbled thoughts aside and she opened her eyes. Grinning, she got to her hooves and climbed up the stairs, calling, “Twi’? You alright? Derpy’s gone now; no need to be embarrassed!”

Rainbow disappeared up the stairs, leaving the letter in its dark hiding place: out of sight, but only temporarily out of mind.

“Y’all’re kiddin’!” Apple Bloom’s mouth hung open in astonishment as she sat on the club house’s floor. “Two more weeks an’ you’re gonna be flyin’, Scoots?!”

Beaming with pride, Scootaloo answered, “Yep. Rainbow said if I make the next speed test, I’ll be ready for takin’ off.”

“You should see her in the air, Apple Bloom,” Sweetie Belle gushed, “I’ve seen full-grown mares who’re clumsier than she is. She was born to fly!” On the last word, she wrapped a hoof around Scootaloo’s neck and hugged her shoulder to shoulder.

Scootaloo grinned and shook her head. “It feels great to glide, and after the first couple’a times I knew what I was doing up there, but I can’t wait ‘til I can really cut loose. All this controlled hoverin’, slow spirals, and current control is baby stuff.”

Briefly tightening the sideways hug and then letting go, Sweetie quietly said, “You still look great up there, Scoots.”

Her smile widened. “Thanks, Sweetie.”

“I wish I coulda seen it,” Apple Bloom pouted, “I should’a been there ta see it.” She sat up straight and her eyes widened. “Wait a minute, why can’t I? We’re high up enough, you could glide right off the clubhouse! Whaddya say?”

Scootaloo groaned and stomped a hoof petulantly. “I promised Rainbow no gliding on my own until we’re done. This last few weeks is supposed to be really hard and I could hurt something...”

“Aw, c’mon, ya didn’t even hardly start on the new stuff, it can’t be that bad.”

“Sorry, AB, but I promised Rainbow.” Scootaloo sat down on her haunches as Sweetie Belle did the same, forming their usual circle. Her frown turned into a smile. “Don’t sweat missin’ the gliding, anyway. This stuff’s all practice still. You wanna see, just come watch when it’s time for me to really fly. That’s the real show.”

Straightening up, Apple Bloom’s tone brightened. “Oh, you better believe I’ll be there, Scoots. You can count on it!” The three friends beamed at each other. “So what y’all wanna do today? Ya wanna do some crusadin’?” She shifted slightly, eyeing her cutie mark with a small amount of guilt.

Scootaloo waved a hoof dismissively. “Nah, let’s just hang out. Sweetie an’ I’ll get ours eventually; hangin’ out’s been awesome without crusading since you got yours, AB. You girls’re my friends and that’s what’s important.”

Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom nodded resolutely. Apple Bloom glanced around the small room. “So what y’all wanna do?”

A glint of reminiscence lit up Sweetie’s face. “You know, this is just like that sleepover we had right after Scoots started training.”

Grinning, Apple Bloom exclaimed, “It is, ain’t it? Ah man, I wish we could have another one.”

Scootaloo shrugged. “Why not?” She turned to Sweetie Belle. “Isn’t Rarity still up at the house talking to Applejack?”

“She should be. I could go ask. I’ll go ask!” She jumped to her hooves and bolted down the ramp.

A thoughtful frown settled on Apple Bloom’s face. “What about your curfew? Ain’t your foster folks gonna be cross?”

“Nah, it’s fine. S’long as I get my chores done, they don’t really care where I go.” Apple Bloom’s frown deepened. “Don’t worry, AB. I got my chores outta the way this morning and I’ll go get tomorrow’s done when we get up. They won’t say anything about it. I’ve missed dinner without askin’ a bunch of times stayin’ late at Rainbow and Twilight’s, or goin’ over to Sweetie’s. Heck, I didn’t say anything that time last week when your sister had us all over for the cook-out and we stayed up roasting marshmallows half the night.”

Relaxing a little, Apple Bloom nodded, tentatively mumbling, “O-okay…if you say so, Scoots.”

“It’ll be fine,” she assured, “This’ll be awesome! It’s like a book-end on all my training!”

A smile cut through Apple Bloom’s trepidation. “Book-end?”

Putting her hooves on her hips and giving her friend a mock glare, Scootaloo challenged, “What? You try hangin’ out in a library all the time and not say stuff like ‘book-end.’”

Apple Bloom giggled, covering her mouth with a hoof. “If’n you say so.” She smiled fondly at Scootaloo. “I still remember how plain tuckered you were that sleepover, an’ you only had a single day of trainin’. Now look at ya.” She smirked and shook her head.

Scootaloo stuck her snout in the air. “Yeah, I know I look good.”

Laughing louder, Apple Bloom narrowed her eyes mischievously. She stood suddenly and cantered to an upturned crate serving as a table. She faced her friend with a wide and challenging grin and brought a foreleg to the wooden surface. “Hey Scoots. Wanna hoof-wrestle?”

Scootaloo sneered playfully. “You’re goin’ down, AB.” She swung a leg around in a windmill, flexing and relaxing the muscles running from her fetlock to her shoulder in a rippling wave. She stepped with deliberate and teasing slowness to the crate and slowly drew her hoof up to meet her friend’s. “Ready?”

“Go!” They locked their limbs and pressed against each other, a tremor of strain shaking their entwined hooves, but neither side giving an inch. Apple Bloom grit her teeth while Scootaloo continued smirking. The earth pony put her weight into it and gained some ground before losing just as much. She narrowed her eyes fiercely, willing Scootaloo’s leg to give in.

A soft patter of hooves leading up the ramp signaled Sweetie’s return. “My sister said…yes?”

“Oh hey, Sweetie,” Scootaloo sing-songed nonchalantly. “I was waitin’ for you to get back before I did this.” All the muscles in her leg tightened instantaneously and she slammed Apple Bloom’s hoof to the crate in a single sweep.

Apple Bloom gaped at her friend, idly rubbing her shoulder. “Lan’ sakes, Scoots, you’re strong.” She shook her head and giggled out, “Ow!

Leaning back and crossing her hooves behind her head, Scootaloo said, “Yeah, I’m awesome.” She glanced over at Sweetie Belle and raised an eyebrow; her friend was pointedly not looking at either of them, scuffing her hooves along the floor. Dots of pink had settled on the filly’s cheeks.

Looking at her friend, the thought struck Scootaloo that she should just ask Sweetie Belle to be her special somepony. Over the past several weeks, getting tutored by Twilight together, having Sweetie join in on watching her flight training, and just spending more and more time after classes broke for summer had put Scootaloo at ease around her friend once again. She didn’t blush uncontrollably, or lose her ability to speak in complete sentences anymore. Distancing herself from the stress and worry about ‘dating,’ she had followed Rainbow’s advice and just listened to herself.

After a lot of listening, Scootaloo was very sure of a two facts: colts held no interest for her, but fillies did. Factoring Sweetie Belle out of the equation, she had paid attention to what she looked for and at in the ponies around her. Despite watching herself, the level of ‘interest’ she found in fillies still managed to creep up on her and take her by surprise, making her cheeks burn with a combination of embarrassment and giddy curiosity. On a nondescript day without any fanfare internally or externally, Scootaloo quietly accepted as fact that she was gay.

With one of the pivotal questions in her mind answered, Scootaloo felt a weight lift from her shoulders and frolicked in the exhilarating freedom of not worrying about it anymore. ‘I’m gay,’ she would tell herself, ‘I’m gay, and that’s all there is to it.’

In the relief, she had put off the second question plaguing her: what to do about her feelings for Sweetie Belle. Rainbow Dash had said that once she knew what she wanted, she should just ask Sweetie on a date. That was a lot easier said than done, she found. As relaxed as she was around her pretty friend when they were just spending time together, the thought of asking Sweetie Belle out sent her pulse skyrocketing and her mind down a twisting tunnel of fears and worries.

However, every once in a while she caught Sweetie Belle blushing and trying not to look at her. When that happened, Scootaloo got the sense that they’d both be happier if she just asked. Frowning in contemplation, she opened her mouth.

“Well anyway,” Apple Bloom said, breaking Scootaloo’s train of thought and catching her attention, “What do y’all wanna do now?”

A memory of the previous sleepover drifted to the pegasus’ head. Her face paled and she stammered out, “N-not Truth or Dare.”

“Yeah, not that,” Sweetie Belle agreed vehemently. Scootaloo jumped at the force and barely hidden worry in the unicorn’s tone.

Not noticing either of her friends’ discomfort, Apple Bloom whined, “Aw man, y’all are no fun.” She tapped her chin thoughtfully and a smile pulled at her muzzle. “Well, last time we didn’t do nothin’ outside ‘cause you were so sore, Scoots. Feelin’ up for playin’ outside this time?”

Scootaloo glanced questioningly at Sweetie Belle, but found the filly recomposed and looking back at her expectantly. Flexing her wings and forelegs, Scootaloo smirked. “Wanna play tag?”

“She’s still out, Care, I’m getting worried.”

“She’s…she’s done this before. She’s at a friend’s house, I’m sure.”

“Honey, you said you’d fix this weeks ago now, please let me help, this is hurting you.”

“I…I just don’t know what to say.”

“Tell her the truth. She’ll understand; she’s a smart filly.”

“I know she is, Under…Why didn’t I see it?”

“You made a mistake. So did I. Now we just need to fix it. I’d help if you’d let me.”

“I…I think it’s too late. I don’t think I can fix it anymore. I don’t think she’d listen if I tried.”

“I’m tired of feeling like I’m wearing somepony else’s skin in my own house, Care. This has to change. Talk to her. Just try. Even if it doesn’t work, you have to try.”

“I…I just don’t know how…”

“Care…”

“I-I just need more time…”

Twilight stood from her desk and stretched out her back, opening the door in a glow of energy as her pupils knocked. “Hey, girls!”

“Hi, Twilight!” Sweetie Belle chimed, rushing past her friend. Scootaloo followed slowly, a wide, but tired smile on her face.

“I’ll go grab some juice.” Twilight cantered into the kitchen while the fillies headed up the stairs. Halfway to the top, Scootaloo paused, feeling a tremor of weakness run through her extended leg. She sighed and leaned against the wall.

Sweetie paused and turned back to her friend, her brow knit. “Y’alright, Scoots?”

Taking a deep breath, Scootaloo pulled herself up the next step with a wince. “Yeah. Rainbow wasn’t kidding about these last few weeks bein’ tough. Wing-ups are easy compared to liftin’ weights. An’ you’ve seen all the crazy stuff Rainbow’s made me do. I thought I was gonna hurl when she spun me around and let me go upside down and backwards yesterday.” She shook her head. “Ugh. I thought I was done bein’ sore. Nothin’ burns as much anymore, but it all aches.

Sweetie Belle nodded in sympathy. “Least you’re almost done, right? ‘Nother week?”

“Yeah,” Scootaloo agreed with an exhausted grin. “I can taste it, Sweetie.”

The little unicorn giggled and hopped back down a few steps, pressing into Scootaloo’s side and guiding her gently up the remaining stairs. Scootaloo’s smile turned warm and affectionate, and she tried to not lean too heavily on her slight friend. They made it to the top of the stairs and she sighed in relief, shaking out her legs. “This sucks. I won’t miss feelin’ like this.”

Rainbow snorted derisively from the loft. “You’re not gonna be one of those lazy pegasi that never trains, are ya, Scoots? Get used to the burn; it’ll be an old friend for ya soon.”

Scootaloo straightened, looking up, but not spotting her coach. “Rainbow?”

“Oh, no. If you want this Daring book, you’re gonna have to fight me for it, and right now I bet I could take ya with just my tail.”

Sweetie Belle covered her mouth to stifle her giggles and tried to give Scootaloo a supportive look.

“Har har, very funny,” Scootaloo mocked. She plodded towards her reading nook and dropped heavily onto a chair, letting out a long sigh.

“Is that whining I hear?” Rainbow sing-songed. “Might have to double the weight tomorrow.”

Laughing ruefully, Scootaloo called back, “You’re mean!”

Twilight arrived at the top of the stairs, floating a couple glasses of juice. “Stop picking on my student!” she playfully chided.

“She started it.”

Twilight chuckled and delivered the drinks to the two fillies, cantering to her desk and taking several weighted practice stones from their box.

“Actually, Twilight,” Sweetie Belle said, approaching the desk, “I was hopin’ I could work on the precision one today.”

“Alright, Sweetie Belle.” She dropped the iron balls back and removed the small, hinged one. “Although, last time you did pretty well at keeping it from collapsing. I think you’ve got it down.”

The filly’s voice dropped and became reserved. “…I wanna try to do those half collapse things.”

Twilight blinked. “You sure? That’s still pretty advanced.”

Sweetie Belle gripped the small sphere in her magic and floated it close to her face, glaring at it in determination. “I just need to get a little better at the detail stuff…”

Frowning and raising an eyebrow, Twilight opened her mouth, but was interrupted by a small snore. She turned her head to find Scootaloo splayed out in her chair, book open on her lap, and fast asleep. Sweetie Belle followed the mare’s gaze and a wobbly smile stretched across her muzzle. Her cheeks grew warm and she nearly dropped the practice stone.

“I’ll be right back,” Twilight assured, before cantering quietly to the snoozing filly and gently shaking her shoulder.

“Nza, what?” Scootaloo bolted to sitting, tumbling her book on the floor and producing a loud bang as the hardcover struck the bare wood. She glanced around apprehensively. “Oh…” She smiled sheepishly at Twilight. “Sorry.”

“It’s alright, Scootaloo,” she said with a smile, “I know you’re tired…” as she trailed off, Twilight’s brow knit and she frowned. “You know, you’ve been doing very well. You caught up on all your subjects and had great grades at the end of the school year. I don’t know that you really need tutoring anymore.” Scootaloo’s ears fell flat and she quickly added, “If you keep having trouble next year, we can start again, but I think you’ve got everything you need to succeed now. I’m proud of you, Scootaloo.”

Scootaloo smiled tentatively, dropping her gaze to the floor. “Thanks, Twilight,” she mumbled. “I’m…I did get everything in school…This really helped a lot, but…” She looked Twilight in the eye, an earnest sense of pleading in her expression. Her voice dropped to an even quieter level. “Do I have to stop?”

Twilight’s brow knit tighter with confusion. “…No, you don’t have to stop if you don’t want to.”

Feeling a knot untie in her chest, Scootaloo relaxed, slumping her shoulders. She caught her tutor’s confusion and smiled coyly. “…I like comin’ here and workin’ on this stuff, even if I don’t really need to.” She glanced around the room, her grin growing warmer. “…I like learning things and you never rush me. I can relax.”

Smiling and ruffling the little pegasus’ mane, Twilight said, “Alright. I’m not gonna stop you from learning.”

A small squeak of triumph pulled Twilight’s attention back towards Sweetie Belle. She trotted over quickly as Scootaloo picked the book back up. “Did you get it?”

“Look!” The filly floated the practice stone forward at Twilight’s approach, beaming with pride.

Twilight grinned widely at the ball, neatly crumpled halfway across. “Oh, perfect, Sweetie Belle! Now try to re-open it!”

Twilight watched intently as Sweetie Belle focused on reversing the controlled collapse, offering small bits of advice as her student worked. In their focus, several minutes flew by and the filly haltingly straightened and then re-collapsed the ball over and over. After ten tries, Sweetie Belle could crumple and expand either side of the stone independently.

“Excellent, Sweetie! That’s exactly the level of focus and care you need for precise levitation work. You’re a natural at this. With some more practice, you could be as skilled as your sis—”

A loud clatter interrupted Twilight as Scootaloo’s book fell back to the floor. The sleeping filly leapt awake clear off the chair from the noise and shouted, “Shit!”

Sweetie Belle dropped the practice stone to the floor. At the small plink of sound, three pairs of widened eyes turned to Scootaloo, two from across the room and the third over the edge of the loft. Scootaloo blanched ashen and sunk to her haunches, fluffing out her wings in a subconscious and instinctual display of protection.

“Sc-Scootaloo!” Twilight admonished with breathless surprise. “Did you just say—?”

A choked snort from above interrupted her for the second time and she shot a dirty look at her marefriend. Rainbow clamped both hooves over her face.

Scootaloo mumbled indistinctly, pawing at the floorboards.

Approaching, Twilight said sternly, “Now I know that was an accident, but that’s not appropriate language, young lady.”

A sputtering wheeze sounded from the loft and she whipped around to glare fiercely at Rainbow Dash. The mare’s face had turned crimson behind her limbs from the struggle to stay quiet and tears leaked from her eyes. Twilight ground her teeth and Rainbow disappeared from view, strained whimpers echoing down. Another snort brought her ire to bear on Sweetie Belle, who was doubled up and hiding her face.

“I’m sorry,” Scootaloo half whispered, “I didn’t mean to; please don’t be mad.”

Twilight turned back and forced calmness into her expression. She patted down her mane and cleared her throat. “I’m not mad, Scootaloo. I know you didn’t mean to. Just be more careful, okay? One should always mind their language.”

In an instant, Rainbow’s containment ruptured, her maniacal laughter echoing through the room. Loud thumps reverberated as she banged her hooves against the floor. Sweetie Belle failed at her own battle for self-control and exploded into giggles, rushing behind the desk in an ill-fated attempt to hide her mirth. Scootaloo’s face went from rosy to burgundy and she sunk in on herself further. Twilight grew angrier as her own desire to laugh started to get the best of her. “Anyway, Scootaloo,” Twilight calmly said, struggling to keep the waver out of her voice, “I think you’ve learned your lesson.”

Scootaloo nodded and miserably asked, “Is there a rock I could crawl under for a while?”

Twilight bit her lip savagely, but a squeaking grunt escaped her snout. The volume throughout the entire room jumped and Twilight hugged Scootaloo through her giggles. Eventually, Scootaloo couldn’t help but join in.

It took several minutes before all of the laughter died down. For the rest of the afternoon, none of the four ever quite managed to get back on track with their work.

Author's Note:

Happy Monday, have an update.

We're in the final act now. Stuff's happening. Also, trying reprimand a kid for loudly cussing is the hardest thing in the world. I remember one time my step-daughter wasn't thinkig and loudly shouted 'BULLSHIT!' when she was about five. Soooo hard not to laugh.

Thanks for reading.