• Published 29th Apr 2013
  • 24,293 Views, 1,355 Comments

Spellbound Fireflies - bats



Rainbow Dash teaches a preteen Scootaloo how to fly, strengthening their bonds, both to each other and the ponies around them. A story about love, family, and growing up.

  • ...
27
 1,355
 24,293

X: Finding Strength

Chapter 10
Finding Strength

Rainbow Dash and Twilight sat up quickly, pulling away from each other. Eyebrow raised, Scootaloo looked back at the door and felt the blood drain from her face. Mrs. Taker’s throat worked silently a few times as she stared at the couple. Stillness flooded the library in a suffocating tide. Scootaloo’s shoulders and head drooped as she attempted to fold in on herself.

After a long and painful thirty seconds, Mrs. Taker found her voice. Her words were clipped and sharp. “Scootaloo. Home. Now.”

Casting a fearful glance back towards Twilight and Rainbow, Scootaloo climbed off the pillow and timidly cantered towards the door, avoiding her foster parent’s eyes. Rainbow Dash met Mrs. Taker’s gaze head on, reading revulsion pouring off her face in thick waves. The filly’s small, clacking steps were the only noise in the library as the three mares held their breaths.

Scootaloo slunk past Mrs. Taker and into the low light of early evening in Ponyville. She understood why her caregiver had come looking for her; the conversation had gone on longer than she had realized. Mrs. Taker shut the library door a little harder than necessary and set off at a swift trot without looking back. Scootaloo grabbed her scooter and rushed to keep up.

They walked in stony silence across the center of town, Scootaloo’s heart thundering in her chest. On the other side of Town Hall, she blurted out, “I’m sorry I was out so late, please don’t be mad! I had to talk to Rainbow Dash and Twilight and it took longer than I thought, I’m really sorry!”

Mrs. Taker grunted noncommittally, not slowing her pace. Scootaloo frowned deeply, her brow furrowed with worry. After several minutes of tense quiet they exited downtown Ponyville and made their way into their neighborhood. Scootaloo chewed compulsively on her lip. Unable to take the empty sound of hoof-falls any more, she pleaded, “I’ll do all my chores before dinner, I promise! I won’t let it happen again, please. It was a mistake, that’s all, honest!”

She fell silent again as Mrs. Taker turned down their block without a word. An antsy, crawling sense of panic clawed its way up her spine as their house came into view. Curfew was a hardline rule and she had broken it. She feared grounding and the loss of what little time to herself she still had. Following in silence up to their front door, Scootaloo set her scooter against the wall and followed Mrs. Taker inside.

The mare closed the door and sagged where she stood, expelling a long and deep breath. Scootaloo didn’t dare to move as Mrs. Taker cantered slowly to the old sofa and eased herself down, rubbing at her eyes. She brushed a lock of her mane away from her mouth and stared at the wall, her gaze remote. Scootaloo took a tentative step forward on the creaky floorboards.

“Scootaloo,” Mrs. Taker began, her voice flat and as distant as her eyes, “You’re not allowed to see either Rainbow Dash or Twilight Sparkle again.”

Scootaloo lurched back as if struck. Her heart felt like a hummingbird trapped in her ribcage, fighting its way out. The extra pressure in her temples made her head swim. “Wh-what?” she stammered out.

Mrs. Taker began muttering more to herself than the filly. “I had no idea the weather team was headed by a—a degenerate like that.” Her eyes grew narrow, taking on a hard and mean cast. “And the protégé of the princess? Nopony can blame me for not suspecting…”

Shaking her head forcefully and swallowing at the dry lump in her throat, Scootaloo forced out a little louder, “What do you mean I can’t see them? What about coaching and tutoring?”

She flicked her attention towards Scootaloo. “No more of it.” She shook her head, staring back out into nothingness. “Never would’ve believed it if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes…And in such positions of authority…” She scoffed, shaking her head again.

With several deep and slow breaths, Scootaloo fought to maintain control of her body. She had to talk this out. “Why?”

Mrs. Taker snapped back to the present, her face contorting in a snarling grimace. Energy rushed to her voice, low and venomous. “Why? They’re, they’re that way, Scootaloo. You can’t trust those types with foals.” Her eyes widened with sudden dread, her voice changing to as close to concern as Scootaloo had ever heard from her. “Oh Celestia, it’s been over a month now. They haven’t ever touched you, have they?”

Her trembling legs gave out under her and Scootaloo fell to her haunches. She stumbled over her words, unable to come to terms with the implications of the question. “Touched me? Touched me? W-why on Equestria would you think that about them?”

Mrs. Taker breathed a sigh of relief and backpedaled. “Well of course not all of those types do that to foals, but some of them do, Scootaloo.” Feeling her image was intact, she narrowed her eyes and spoke with authority. “It’s too dangerous for you to be in their care for any length of time. That’s final.”

Scootaloo felt the world crash down around her. She wanted to bolt from the room. She wanted to toss herself on her small bed and cry. Her body screamed at her to run. She inhaled deeply and planted her hooves. She couldn’t run. This was too important to give up on. She had to fight.

She scrunched her eyes shut and conjured the lavender blue colt to her mind. His yellow eyes wavered out of focus; a constructed figment of courage and determination with no tangibility. Wing-jacks while tired had nothing on this. A small whimper escaped her throat as her front hooves started pushing at the floor, commanding her retreat. Heat and moisture rushed to the inside of her eyelids.

Rainbow Dash leapt into her mind, replacing the colt. The daredevil smirked, eyes low in aggressive challenge, ready to buck a dragon in the face, ready to break the speed of sound, ready to catch a filly tumbling down a waterfall. Strength flowed into her from Rainbow’s gaze.

Scootaloo leapt to her hooves, legs planted wide. She set her jaw, narrowed her eyes, and thundered, “No!”

Mrs. Taker blinked. “Excuse me?”

“I said no. You’re not taking Rainbow Dash and Twilight away from me.”

An uncomfortable quiet settled over the room as Mrs. Taker stared disbelieving at her foster foal. Eventually she found her voice. “This isn’t up for debate.”

“I’m not debating.” She pawed the floor in challenge, ears down and tail flicking. “I’m not gonna lose out on flying and school just ‘cause they’re gay.”

Mrs. Taker expelled a forceful breath of air, her eyes re-hardening. “I know you’re disappointed, but it’s too much of a risk.”

Scootaloo’s glare narrowed. “Rainbow Dash has been lookin’ out for me for two years, Mrs. Taker, ever since she saved my life. She’d never, ever hurt me. She…she cares about me.” A swelling tide of anger and pain started to fill her chest.

“Well, Twilight—”

“Twilight Sparkle figured out I had dyslexia in ten minutes!” she screamed, the hairs on her neck standing on end. Mrs. Taker fell back into the couch, her eyes wide and jaw slack. “She’s the first pony who ever looked!” Wetness sprung to her eyes, her throat feeling thick and hot. “I-I can do math again ‘c-cause of her. I un-understand it again. I can read. I-it makes sense; school makes sense again!” She swallowed thickly, rubbing furiously at her eyes. Mrs. Taker leaned forward, but Scootaloo stomped her hoof back against the floor with an echoing clatter. “And-and, you accuse her of—How dare you? How dare you?!”

Scootaloo’s heavy panting was all that broke the silence for several moments while Mrs. Taker regarded her charge with total shock. “…You have to understand, it’s my job to make sure you’re safe, and letting you around ponies like them is too much of a risk.”

Resisting the urge to spit on the floor, Scootaloo shook her head forcefully and began pacing in agitation in front of the couch. “Yeah. Your job. That’s all I’ve ever been to you. A job.”

“Scootaloo…”

She whipped around, facing Mrs. Taker again, shouting, “Don’t pretend like you care about me! Like you ever cared about me! Like I was anything more than a mouth to feed to you or Mr. Taker!” Her voice lowered and her eyes shrunk to darkened slits. “I’m just a little sprout to keep alive.”

Mrs. Taker gaped wordlessly, staring at Scootaloo, really seeing her for possibly the first time. She tentatively extended a hoof towards the filly, but was rebuked as Scootaloo resumed her pacing.

“I’m sure the town would love to hear about this, huh? That’d help you with your job, if everypony knew you kept me from learning to fly from a Wonderbolt Academy Team Lead pony, or from being tutored by Princess Celestia’s student. Rainbow Dash’s coaching got me in the air a little today, did you know that? And I had a meeting with Ms. Cheerilee and Twilight; I got a B plus on my last math test! Yeah, the town’d love to hear about how you made me stop seeing a tutor that was getting results. I’m sure that’d make you look awesome.”

Mrs. Taker slowly crumpled in on herself against the back of the couch. Her dumbstruck expression grew distant and she stared out the window. After several minutes of Scootaloo’s frenetic pacing, she sighed out, flat and toneless, “Do whatever you want, Scootaloo.”

Scootaloo grunted through her snout and stomped out the door, slamming it behind her. Mrs. Taker listened to the buzz of her scooter quickly fade away. She slowly sunk to her side on the couch and curled up in a ball, staring out the window. When Mr. Taker arrived home, she numbly went to bed without a word.

Scootaloo tore through town on her scooter, pumping her wings to their limits, weaving dangerously along the uneven road. She could barely see through the pulsing in her temples that sent tremors through her vision in waves of red. Her lungs burned from the exertion of her adrenaline-fueled race combined with the fast and shallow breaths of near hyperventilation.

She skidded to a crashing halt in front of the library, letting her scooter tumble away from her in a heap. She nearly yanked the door off its hinges as she barreled inside.

At the bang of the door, Rainbow Dash and Twilight jumped in shock, the pegasus leaping out of Twilight’s embrace. Scootaloo threw herself into Rainbow’s chest and hugged tight just as the mare turned to face her.

“Whoa, hey,” Rainbow stammered, her raspy voice raw and low. Frayed at the edges past her breaking point, Scootaloo began crying into Rainbow’s coat. Rainbow sniffled loudly to clear her snout and tentatively returned the embrace. “Scoots, I…I didn’t expect to see ya again…today.”

“Sh-she was gonna keep me from seeing you ever again,” the filly choked out around her exhausted sobs, “She s-said you were dangerous.” Scootaloo hugged the mare tighter. “I…I yelled at her. So much. I said all these awful things and…”

“Shh, it’s okay, Scoots, it’s okay…” Rainbow stroked Scootaloo’s spiky mane with a hoof. “Just tell me what happened.”

The filly talked fitfully, the helpless shaking of her frame joining her tears. “Sh-she said I couldn’t see either of you again, ‘cause…” She scrunched her eyes tight forcefully, acid rising in the back of her throat. “Since you’re gay, she said you might hurt me. I…I yelled at her. I got so angry that she’d say such awful things about you…” Frowning sadly, Rainbow glanced sideways at Twilight and beckoned her with a twitch of an ear. The unicorn, bewildered and out of sorts, haltingly stepped closer. Rainbow extended a wing and dragged Twilight into the embrace. Twilight awkwardly hugged them both.

Scootaloo’s panic slowly drained, held by the two mares. She took a long, deep, steadying breath. “…I said she didn’t care about me an’ only thought of me as a job. I said I’d tell everypony she made me stop seein’ you, even though you’re both helpin’ me with school and flying. I couldn’t let her take you away from me.” Her voice cracked on the last word and she tightly shut her eyes again. “Sh-she gave up after I was done, said I could do whatever I wanted, so I came here. I dunno what to do now…”

Rainbow sighed slowly through her snout, her eyes drifting shut. “S’alright, Scoots. We can deal with that later.” She hugged the little filly closer. “…I was afraid somethin’ like this was gonna happen when I saw her come in.”

Twilight leaned over in the hug and kissed Rainbow on the brow. “We’ll figure this out, Rainbow. And Scootaloo, whatever happens, our door is always open to you, got it?”

Scootaloo nodded weakly into Rainbow’s chest. “I’m scared.”

Rainbow’s other wing unfurled and joined her hooves in holding Scootaloo. “S’okay, Scoots. I’m here. You don’t haveta be scared.”

Sniffling miserably, Scootaloo nodded again. “When she told me I couldn’t see you guys anymore, I got really scared. I…I tried to use that colt, like you told me, to be able to talk to her even though it was really hard. It…it didn’t work. I almost gave up. But then…I thought about you, Rainbow Dash. I thought about you and I wasn’t scared anymore.”

Rainbow Dash lost words for a moment, looking down at the top of Scootaloo’s head. After a long pause, she came to a decision and set her jaw. She turned to her marefriend. “Hey, Twi’? I bet Scoots hasn’t eaten anything, mind findin’ somethin’ she can have?” She raised her eyebrows and flicked her eyes meaningfully at Scootaloo and back to Twilight.

Twilight nodded in understanding and extricated herself from the group hug, cantering to the kitchen to give the pair privacy. Rainbow let up on her hug and carefully guided Scootaloo away from her chest by the filly’s shoulders. She looked Scootaloo in the eyes for a moment. “…You’re a great kid, Scoots. You really are. It means a lot that I could help ya out like that, even if I wasn’t there.” She took a deep breath, as Scootaloo wiped at her eyes. She smiled sadly. “I wanna tell ya something. Something important about me. I haven’t really been honest about that colt with ya, but I think it’d be good for you to hear now. See…he wasn’t just some random pony I read about in an article once. I knew him.”

Scootaloo finished drying her eyes, her ears perking up in interest. “You knew him? Who was he?”

“…He was my dad.”

Gaze wide and jaw hanging open, Scootaloo gaped at Rainbow. “…Y-your dad had his wings tied up ‘til he was twelve?”

Rainbow nodded solemnly, settling back on her haunches. “His parents were both earth ponies, but somewhere back in one of the families somepony was a pegasus. And, y’see, his dad always thought he wasn’t really his dad an’ his mom had…y’know.” Scootaloo grimaced and nodded. “And his mom came from a family that didn’t like pegasi, so they fought a lot and took it out on him.” She sighed, her eyes growing pained and reminiscent. “My dad was one of the strongest ponies I’ve ever met. ‘Cause of what he went through, he fought for everything and pushed himself harder and harder, just to prove somethin’ to them. He was a good stallion. The best I’ve ever met.”

Scootaloo looked to the floor, hazy memories of her own parents, rendered indistinct with time, floated ephemerally through her mind. “…I can see why you’d pick him for somepony to think about during tough stuff.”

Rainbow smiled. “You remind me of what he was like.”

Raising an eyebrow, Scootaloo met Rainbow’s gaze. “Was?” Rainbow Dash closed her eyes and dropped her head. Scootaloo’s throat bobbed soundlessly in the stillness.

“…After the colthood he had, my dad had a lot of health problems. He worked so hard, but…” She sighed heavily, sinking lower. “I was a little younger’n you are now when he died.”

“…Oh,” she responded lamely, her ears drooping. “A-and your mom?”

Rainbow shrugged her shoulders. “I dunno what happened to her. Whenever I asked about her, all my dad said was that she loved me very much. I was so young when he died I never got to hear the full story.”

“That’s awful…”

Rainbow smiled faintly, lifting her head to look at the filly. She ran a hoof through Scootaloo’s mane. “After that I was in foster care for a long time. I didn’t have any other family, and…well, you know how nopony really ever adopts foals after a certain age.” Scootaloo sighed and nodded in resignation. Rainbow’s smile widened a little. “You remind me of me, too. S’why I’ve tried ta look out for ya these last couple years. You’re a great kid, Scoots.”

Twilight tentatively cantered back into the main room, floating three plates of sandwiches in a glow of magic. She raised an eyebrow at her marefriend. Rainbow nodded and she swiftly made her way closer. Scootaloo smiled and took her sandwich in both hooves, tearing into it.

Twilight giggled. “She eats just like you, Rainbow.” Rainbow shot her a mock glare over her half-devoured sandwich.

Wiping her face and sitting back to pat her belly, Scootaloo glanced out the window at the almost pitch sky. “…It’s getting late. I…I dunno what to do.”

Rainbow finished off her dinner and belched loudly. Picking at her teeth with a hoof, she said, “I’ll walk ya home. If there’s trouble, we got a spare room here for the night and we’ll get this figured out tomorrow. Sound good?”

Scootaloo grimaced, but nodded. Rainbow gave Twilight a quick peck on the cheek and headed out the door. Scootaloo grabbed her fallen scooter and walked it alongside Rainbow as they headed back through town. “Thanks, Rainbow. Thank you for tellin’ me that. And thanks for bein’ there for me.”

Rainbow smiled warmly. “’Course, Scoots. I’ll never leave ya hangin’.”

“I know,” she mumbled to herself, “You never have.”

Several paces past Sugarcube Corner, Rainbow frowned thoughtfully at Scootaloo. “We, uh, didn’t really talk about it inside, but…with all the other stuff you’re goin’ through I bet it hurt to hear all those things about me an’ Twi’. Are you...I guess okay is the wrong word.” She shrugged helplessly.

Scootaloo expelled a forceful breath through her snout. “Not really. I mean…I knew that not everypony is okay with it already. I hear it at school sometimes from other foals.” A bitter smirk crossed her face. “Seems like as soon as you told me about gay ponies I hear it everywhere now.” She shook her head. “I’ll be okay, though. I’m still figurin’ all this out.”

Rainbow nodded, letting the conversation lapse as they made their way past Town Hall.

As Scootaloo led her scooter beside Rainbow in silence, a notion struck her. Before, whenever she was around her idol, she needed to fill any gaps in their conversation, whether it was with words or actions. She felt exposed and self-conscious in the quiet. Walking slowly next to the mare down the dark and empty Ponyville streets, full of stress and quickly-eaten sandwich, she didn’t feel suffocated by the silence. She felt at ease and comfortable.

She glanced at the duck-shaped patch of missing shingles as they cantered to the door of her house. Scootaloo swallowed hard and tried the handle, swinging the door open into the dark and still living room. She turned back to Rainbow. “Guess it’s okay.”

“You need anything, anything, Scoots, you come find me or Twilight, ‘kay? I’ll see ya Thursday for more training.”

A smile cracked her muzzle. “You got it, Rainbow. And tell Twilight I’ll see her tomorrow. With Sweetie Belle.” Scootaloo’s voice uncontrollably raised half an octave on her crush’s name. Rainbow carefully controlled her features to hide her surprise and sudden understanding. She nodded once and cantered back out of the yard, taking off into the sky once she was out in the street.

Scootaloo carefully stepped into her house, minding the noisy floorboards. She crept up the stairs and started down the hall towards her bedroom. The door to the Taker’s room at the end of the hall cracked open and Mrs. Taker peered out at her.

Scootaloo’s ears fell flat and she timidly stepped back. “H-hi.”

The mare stared at her blankly, her expression unreadable.

“…I…I’m sorry for what I said earlier. I didn’t mea—”

Mrs. Taker cut her off, her tone as flat as her features. “You can finish today’s chores tomorrow. Dinner at the normal time.” She shut the door with a click.

Scootaloo sat on her haunches in the hall, staring at the floor for a good, long while. Eventually, she mustered enough strength to go into her room, perform her nightly stretches, and collapse onto her pillow. Her face hot and sticky, she fell into a dreamless sleep; her tears for the day had been long since shed.

Author's Note:

Ahh, sweet, blessed, not-a-cliffhanger. Okay, breathe.

So, we're officially moving to Monday/Thursday updates now for the remainder of the story. See ya Thursday for the last chapter of Act Two, and next Monday for the beginning of Act Three.

Thanks for reading.