• Published 22nd Feb 2012
  • 22,772 Views, 590 Comments

A Moonlit Balcony - aquilerafroot



After Nightmare Night, Luna invites Twilight to tea, and the two of them become closer friends. Princess Celestia teases Luna about it sometimes.

  • ...
24
 590
 22,772

Four/ Brownies

“Heeeey Twiliiiiiight!” Ponyville’s premier party pony warbled in her perky, high pitched voice.

Rarity was standing behind her in the doorway of the library; the two had decided to visit Twilight together, curious to learn how her meeting with the Princess of the Moon had gone.

“Oh, hi, Pinkie, Rarity!” said Twilight. She turned from the books she had been reading and trotted over to the two mares.

“We were just wondering how your date with the Princess turned out, did she like the cupcakes? I thought they were pretty good, but just tell me straight, did she like them?” Pinkie asked, bouncing in anticipation.

“Ah, apart from the cupcakes – did you have a wonderful time, darling?” Rarity asked as well, her eyes shining.

“Yeah, I did, it was great! Would you like to hear about it?” said Twilight.

Pinkie and Rarity both nodded vigorously. The bookworm grinned and levitated out three cushions, motioning with a hoof for her friends to make themselves comfortable.

The three mares settled themselves side by side on the cushions, and Twilight started speaking – telling them about how a painting she had wondered about when she was a filly was in fact of Luna, how Luna had shown her the mosaic – and about how Luna had raised the Moon.

“…and then she told me about some of the stars and why she made them – she’s really such a nice pony,” she finished, smiling happily.

Rarity and Pinkie looked at her, both of them beaming as well.

“We’re so happy for you, darling,” said Rarity, putting a foreleg around Twilight’s shoulders.

“Yeah! It’s terrific that you two had so much fun last night!” said Pinkie, giving the librarian a hug.

“Thanks girls, I’m really happy, too,” said Twilight, after hugging them back, “and she really liked the cupcakes! I’m so glad you helped me, and well, I feel like trying some more baking, maybe I could bring something else with me next time I see Luna.”

“Sooo when are you going to visit her again?” the fashionista asked.

“I’m not sure yet, but Luna said she’s going to show me some new stars she made!” The bookworm stretched to a more comfortable position on her cushion.

“Well if you wanna bake something else for next time, you can come over anytime you want and I’ll help you out!” said Pinkie.

“Thanks, Pinkie, and I was thinking – maybe I should practice baking the same thing a few more times, so I can be good enough to start making things on my own? Um, not that I don’t like your help, I just want to improve for myself as well.”

“Oki doki loki! It’s super cool to learn to make things completely with your own hooves!” the earth pony replied brightly.

“And you could wear that gorgeous saddle!” Rarity sighed, glancing at Twilight’s back, where she imagined the pink saddle she had given her friend would rest. It was not as frilly as the model she had made Twilight try out the first time, but she had decided to keep the color; it would go perfectly with Twilight’s coat as well as bring out the highlight in her mane.

“Um, maybe next time– but I promise I will wear it,” said Twilight, smiling reassuringly at her friend. “Don’t worry about it gathering dust on a shelf or anything!”

“Oh I just remembered!” exclaimed Pinkie, suddenly bouncing to her hooves. “I have to go back to help the Cakes now! I’m reeeeally glad you had a nice time Twilight, just come over whenever you want and we can bake some more! Bye!” She waved, and then disappeared in a blur.

“Bye, Pinkie-” the two unicorns said in unison, but the pink pony was already out of sight.

“Sometimes I could swear she can teleport.” Twilight chuckled, catching Rarity’s expression.

They shared a laugh, and then the fashion designer rose as well. “Well, I must be returning to my work too, though I must confess that I really enjoyed designing that saddle for you, after all you are such a perfect model for them,” Rarity gushed, her eyes gleaming. “You gave me so much inspiration for my new saddle line – which I have in fact already sent to Hoity Toity!” With that, she trotted to the doorway before turning to give Twilight a farewell smile. “See you tomorrow, darling!”

“Bye, Rarity,” said Twilight, waving to her friend before closing the library door. She put away the cushions and trotted to her writing stand, where she took out her schedule book and a quill.

I should make sure I leave an afternoon free to visit Pinkie. Using her quill, she crossed some entries out, then drew arrows to rearrange others. Quantum Mechanics, hmm. That could go in the one a.m. time slot… She transferred that item to the new time slot.

And I’ll have to complete the thesis on the flare experiment – Tuesday two a.m.? But I’ll have to get up at five for the dawn dew research. Maybe another day?


“Baking pan, check,” said Twilight, looking down at the notes that she had jotted down as Pinkie rapidly babbled a list of the equipment and ingredients that they would need to make brownies. “Aluminum foil, chocolate chunks-”

“Butter sugar eggs flour bananas salt vaaaannnillllla!” the energetic pony sang shrilly, jabbing a hoof at each of the ingredients on the counter. “All set! You ready Twilight? Llllleeeeet’s bake!”

“Um, actually… I was wondering if I could try it myself this time, you know, like I mentioned before?” Twilight said, pawing a hoof sheepishly. “So I can see if, you know, I can actually bake something edible on my own… please?”

Pinkie blinked, and grinned brightly. “Oh yeah you said that! I almost forgot! Because I love baking so much too I get so excited to just join! But just ask me if you get stuck – I’ll be adding the frosting to these cupcakes!” she said, pulling out a tray of cupcakes (from, it seemed to Twilight, thin air).

The bookworm beamed. “Thanks, Pinkie!”

“No problem Twilight!” the party pony replied, placing the tray on the far end of the kitchen counter and grabbing several pastry bags. “Just ask if you have any questions!”

Twilight nodded and put on an apron with her telekinesis, her expression determined.

“So, I should heat up the oven first,” she muttered as she consulted her notes. She turned the knob of the oven with her magic. “And second, add the butter then the chocolate into a saucepan and heat it.”

She levitated the utensil over, and paused. ”Um, Pinkie ? How much butter and chocolate do I have to add, exactly?”

The pink pony looked up from the cupcakes. “Just toss in as much as you want! Or as little as you want!”

“Erm…” Now that she recalled it, the last time Pinkie had done most of the measuring while she had just poured and mixed everything together. This is a complication. Well, actually, this is kind of like measuring chemicals for experiments, I can’t believe I wasn’t paying more attention to memorizing everything. But then again, Pinkie’s always talking about the ‘feel’ of ingredients so I suppose cooking isn’t supposed to be that precise. The unicorn bit her lip; she always preferred to get things perfect the first time.

It’s too late to go back to the library to find a proper cookbook and I don’t even know if I could find a recipe for brownies on time… all right, fine. Pinkie will definitely tell me if I’m doing something wrong.

She frowned and poured in a small amount of butter, then as much chocolate as she dared. Chocolate brownies are supposed to be, well, brown. The color must come from the chocolate, so I’ll have to add lots. She placed the pan onto the stove, and started heating it.

Stirring the mixture with a whisk, she glanced at her friend. “Does this look okay?”

Pinkie scooted over and peered into the pan. “Nope, it’s still too hard; wait until it’s just about melted!” she said with a wide encouraging grin. “Then you can turn off the heat and keep on stirring until it’s smooth!”

“Oh, okay,” replied Twilight, gently swirling the melting chocolate until it had become more like a thick liquid. She turned the heat off and proceeded to stir until the mix was even. “Um, so now I put the other stuff in?” She grabbed her notes and scrutinized them again.

Pinkie nodded approvingly and bounced back to her tray of cupcakes so that Twilight had more room to maneuver. “Oh! And the eggs go in one at a time, I think I forgot to tell you that!” she added mid-jump.

“One at a time, got it,” said Twilight, pouring the mixture into a larger bowl and stirring in the sugar. She then took an egg and attempted to crack it –

Splat! The contents spurted out, trickling down her hooves and making a mess on the counter. “Urrgh,” she groaned weakly, “why can’t I get the hang of that?”

“It’s okay! I’ll just show you again!” said Pinkie. She bounced back over, grabbed an egg, and effortlessly cracked it against the brim of the bowl. The shell split neatly in two halves, which Pinkie pulled apart to let the egg slide into the bowl gracefully. “There you go, easy as my last name! There’s another egg to add - c’mon, have another go!”

Twilight nodded determinedly, holding up another egg. I can do this. She brought her hoof down on the brim – splat!

“I’m so sorry Pinkie! I’ll buy you another carton of eggs to make up for this and the eggs I ruined last time,” she said hurriedly, disappointed at herself for failing to crack the latest egg correctly. But whenever I try to do it lightly, nothing happens!

“Aww, you don’t have to do that Twilight, I’ve ruined way more than you have!” Pinkie said reassuringly. “Though most of them were kinda on purpose! And nopony is an expert on their first few tries, just keep practicing and you’ll be cracking ‘em like a pro – wait, Twilight I’ve got an idea! Why don’t you use your magic? I'm sure you'll be a lot better if you use that!”

“Oh, yeah! Why didn’t I think of that before?” Twilight laughed. I guess since I kept seeing Pinkie use her hooves I just unconsciously did the same; she’s the one teaching me, after all.

Trying it a third time – this time with her magic – she cut the egg neatly through the middle. Twilight smiled proudly and pulled the two halves apart with her telekinesis, emptying the egg into the mix.

“Great!” she exclaimed, before checking her notes to see what the next step was.

Add flour, salt, and vanilla.Twilight knit her brow. Urgh, more things with no specific measurements. But yeah, again, if I want to get good at cooking I’ll have to get used to not being as precise as I am with my chemical experiments. She tried to remember how Pinkie had added the ingredients – a pinch and a toss? She made a face, and then added what she hoped were suitable amounts into the bowl.

After stirring the mix thoroughly she peeled the bananas with her magic and diced them, then added the chunks to the bowl. Following Pinkie’s instructions, she poured and scraped the mixture into the baking pan and placed it into the pre-heated oven.

“Whew, finally done!” she said, rubbing her hooves on a kitchen towel. “I hope it turns out okay!”

“I bet it’ll be better than okay! And ‘cause this is just practice, when you bake next time it’ll be even better!”

“Maybe… and it’s all thanks to your help, Pinkie,” the unicorn replied warmly.


Ding! The timer alerted both ponies that the brownies were ready. They trotted to the oven and the bookworm glanced to the gloves hanging on the wall; but then she decided to just use her telekinesis to open the oven and pull the tray out.

“Oooooh!” the two friends marveled at Twilight's creation. The tantalizing smell of chocolate and banana wafted from it, its texture a rich, glossy, dark brown with the fruit chunks wedged inside. They set it to cool for a while before Pinkie cut it into neat chunks.

“Wanna try it out?” asked Pinkie excitedly, for once refraining from stuffing some of the desserts into her mouth in an instant.

“Oh, okay,” said Twilight, floating a piece with her telekinesis and observing it carefully. It smells good, and the surface is quite smooth, not lumpy at all!

Hoping it was a success, she hesitantly took a bite… and her tongue seemed to shrivel up. She gagged, expelling the half-chewed brownie from her mouth forcibly, but even that could not extinguish the burning in her mouth. While it smelled good, she had added way too much chocolate, making it taste sickly, and it was like a very dense sweetness had congealed within her.

“Pinkie,” she said, an eye twitching. “I need more practice.”


Dear Twilight,

I enjoyed our recent meeting very much and was wondering if we could have tea again soon. Would two o’clock in the afternoon next Saturday be convenient for you? I would really like to show you my new star, and something else as well!

Your friend,

Luna

The Princess of the Night rolled up the parchment, a satisfied smile dancing on her lips. Now off to Celly to send it - she was right, I should find time to place the linking spell on Twilight’s dragon scribe. If I keep asking her to send my letters she’ll only start making implications…


“I wonder what Luna’s going to show me?” Twilight said, eagerly re-reading the scroll for a third time. “Saturday afternoon, that should be fine, though I don't know how we’re going to see a star during the daytime – Spike, would you mind looking after the library for the afternoon? I might not be back until Sunday, so I’ll ask Fluttershy if she’s okay with letting you stay overnight, like last time.”

“Okay, sure,” the dragon replied cheerfully, stacking up a pile of books. “So you’re hanging out with Luna pretty often now, huh?”

“Well, I’m not sure if I’ll be visiting all that often, though I really hope so!” Twilight chuckled. Trotting over to her writing stand, she gathered her writing stationary and quill.

Dear Luna,

Thank you for the invitation, I would love to meet again! Saturday at two o’clock is fine for me.

I’m really looking forward to seeing your new star and I can’t wait to find out what else you want to show me!

Your friend,

Twilight Sparkle


Twilight stepped off the chariot, levitating a box containing the fifth batch of brownies she had made. The scene gave her a sense of déjà-vu despite two obvious differences: it was the afternoon, and this time only the lunar princess stood waiting on the lawn.

“It is good to see you again, Twilight,” Luna said warmly.

“It’s great to see you too, Luna!” the unicorn replied.

They grinned at each other, and the alicorn noticed the box Twilight was levitating. “Oh, are those more of your delicious cupcakes?”

“Um, it’s actually something else I wanted to share with you, they’re called brownies.”

“Thank you, Twilight!” said the princess, beaming. “So, shall we go then?”

The unicorn nodded. “Sure thing!”

Luna led Twilight along the route that they had taken during the previous visit: through the grand hall, up a few levels, and through the entrance to her wing. “This is what I wanted to show you,” she said, coming to a stop in front of the circular mosaic in the spacious hallway.

Twilight looked at the black gem in the center of the mosaic curiously, remembering how it had absorbed a trickle of magic from her horn. Luna said that it’s a magical artifact. I wonder why it needs to drain magical energy. Should have asked last time – but I was nervous because Luna said it meant that I was powerful…

Luna then summoned a dark blue couch; it was quite puffy and was complemented by a few light blue cushions. The two sat down, and Luna motioned to the mosaic. “I am going to show you the purpose of this gem, and perhaps you might be able to use it as well.”

She released a flow of magic into the wall, and the energy was immediately absorbed into the gem. “You see, the stone in the center is a means of channeling magic – are you familiar with foci?”

Twilight nodded. “Yeah, they’re objects that are used to focus and direct spells.” She furrowed her brow in thought as she tried to grasp the implications of what Luna had said. A passage in Spellcasting: Level 3 surfaced in her mind:

‘In instances when a spell is difficult to focus or maintain, unicorns (or alicorns) can choose to enchant an object – preferably a gem, which of all suitable items can absorb magic most easily – so that the object can direct the spell automatically. The spell caster would only need to provide the required energy and the object would complete the spell so that the caster could spare more attention on other matters.

This essentially means that the gem is probably used for a powerful spell which originally would have been very difficult to cast; but with this, it would only require a sufficient amount of energy to be provided and the gem would maintain the spell for as long as the energy lasted-’

She snapped out of her thoughts as Luna started speaking again.

“This,” the princess explained, “helps me and my sister to view the night sky, even during the day. Although the spell itself is hardly tiring to us, she thought it would be convenient to enchant the gem to allow other ponies to cast it – although we realized afterwards it would be difficult for ponies other than my sister and myself to have enough energy, or magical prowess, to power it. From what happened last time, I believe you are an exception!”

Twilight froze. “I-I don’t think I can,” she said, shifting nervously on the couch,” wouldn’t it take an immense amount of energy for magic to be distributed across the entire sky? I mean, it’s so vast, and deep, and even with the gem to help direct the spell…”

“From the way my sister speaks about you, and the way the gem reacted to you, I would say that there is a distinct possibility that you have both the skill and energy to use it.” the princess paused, suddenly a bit worried. She had thought that Twilight would be interested in the gem and its uses, but the unicorn beside her seemed very hesitant; uneasy, even.

Twilight looked up, and saw that Luna’s ears were drooping, her eyes blinking uncertainly. She realized that the princess was waiting for a reaction, so she quickly put on a smile. Get a grip, Twilight! Luna says I can do it, and she knows the spell better than I do! “Oh, so, uhhh, you mean I should give it a try right now?”

“That is what I had hoped, but if you do not want to do it, it is all right. I just thought you would be interested in watching the stars…” Luna frowned, concerned – Twilight’s expression seemed a bit forced. “Twilight, is something the matter?”

“Oh, I’m fine. I’m just a bit nervous, that’s all – it sounds difficult. But I’ll never know if I don’t try,” she replied, not wanting to disappoint Luna or come off as scared.

Luna let out a sigh of relief. “It’s simple; just send a strong and steady flow of magic into the gem; it will be absorbed for the spell.”

Twilight nodded, and tentatively released a flow of magenta energy from her horn into the gem. Her magic was quickly sucked in, vanishing like water into a whirlpool. Twilight looked at the gem expectantly. A second passed, then two. Nothing happened.

Bleh, I knew it. She peered at the princess beside her, who was looking back hopefully. Twilight relented. Oh, fine. I’ll try again.

She glared at the gem. Not enough, huh? She drew on more energy from her magic reservoir, letting it build in a bright ball of light on her horn before discharging it. The aura was vacuumed in, disappearing without a trace again, but still the gem was unyielding.

Urrggh. The unicorn gritted her teeth. Fizzling sparks erupted from her horn now, her magic pulsing and crackling as she poured more and more energy into the foci.

Luna raised a hoof as the glow from Twilight’s aura turned a brilliant white, her eyes clouded over by the immense power she was releasing. “Twilight-”

The built-up energy exploded with a bang and a blinding glare which lit up the entire space, the force of the backlash throwing the unicorn off the couch with the speed of a bullet towards the opposite wall of the grand hall. Luna watched in horror. Time seemed to slow as she cast her starry aura to reach for her friend. No!

But she was too late. In a split second Twilight slammed into the wall with a sickening crack, the force of the impact leaving a dent in the marble wall.