• Published 22nd Feb 2012
  • 22,771 Views, 590 Comments

A Moonlit Balcony - aquilerafroot



After Nightmare Night, Luna invites Twilight to tea, and the two of them become closer friends. Princess Celestia teases Luna about it sometimes.

  • ...
24
 590
 22,771

One/ Friend

Author's Note:

The events in the first chapter take place right after the episode Luna Eclipsed. Special thanks to Starfall and Karrakaz, and to you who's reading this! Originally published on Feb 22, 2012.

The gentle night breeze rippled the leaves of the tree that was Ponyville’s library, making a pleasant rustle as the branches swayed in the wind. Inside the structure, a dark alicorn watched as her elder sister’s personal protégé tucked a light purple dragon into the covers of his bed, the tenderest of expressions on her face.

“Goodnight Spike,” murmured Twilight Sparkle as she pulled the sheets over her number one assistant.

“G’night…”

Twilight chuckled as Spike started to snore almost immediately. “He must be really tired out from Nightmare Night!”

Luna smiled at the sight. Twilight was such a kind, kind pony; the night princess felt lucky indeed to have met her.

“Wow Princess, it was such a wonderful night,” said the unicorn, turning to address the Goddess of the Moon, “you really should come back sometime! Oh, and I can walk with you to your chariot! I’m so glad you had a good time tonight.”

The Princess had requested that her chariot await her by the statue of Nightmare Moon when it had arrived to escort her back to the castle, insisting that she wanted to accompany Twilight back to her tree house.

She knew it was not necessary, but all she really wanted was to steal some more time with the unicorn that had taught her so much about friendship. She had never felt so carefree in her whole life; at least, not since she was a little filly – and that was thousands of years ago.

She looked at the purple mare as they stepped onto the landing of the library and into the cool dark night. Making their way back to the clearing with Nightmare’s statue, Luna smiled with heartfelt warmth.

“Twilight Sparkle, I really do have to express my gratitude for everything you have done for me.”

The bookish unicorn looked up, beaming at the Princess of the Night. “Really, it was nothing! And I’m so happy that you’re happy, Princess!”

Luna couldn’t help the wide grin that was spreading across her face. Happiness radiated from her. “I do not think it was nothing. No pony has ever cared so much about me, apart from my dear sister. And you, Twilight Sparkle, of all ponies, should call me Luna.”

“Okay… Luna.” The scholarly mare and her regal companion finally arrived at the small meadow. The royal guards nodded at the pair.

“If there is something I may ask, Twilight?” the lunar princess asked, pausing before the chariot. “Would you like to join me for tea at the castle? At a time convenient to you, of course.”

The lavender unicorn looked up at the alicorn with a bright smile. “I would be honored, Prin – I mean, Luna. But I wouldn’t want to impose, I’m sure you have quite a busy schedule.”

The princess pouted pleadingly. “It was your kindness that taught me the magic of friendship, Twilight Sparkle, and I would most love to experience your companionship again.”

“Well, then, I’d love to spend more time with you, Luna, but I have to tell you, you also taught me some very important things about friendship!” the unicorn smiled. “You can send me a letter to tell me when you would like me to visit, I’m sure your agenda is much fuller than mine.”

“Very well, we shall meet again!” The alicorn raised her hoof in farewell as her guards extended their bat-like wings to take off. “Goodbye, my friend!” Warmth blossomed in her heart upon hearing herself utter the words. A friend… I have made a friend.


Luna squirmed a little in her sheets, giggling to herself. It was like madness, feeling so hyped like this when she was all alone, but she just couldn’t contain the joy that seemed to have taken hold of her. A friend, a friend, a friend! She hugged her blankets, the stars in her astral mane twinkling like tiny supernovas.

The happy princess couldn’t wait to check – or adjust if need be – her schedule for some free time.


Princess Celestia watched as her sister trotted to their royal dining table. It was evident that she was in high spirits; the bounce in her steps and the sparkles in her mane were a just a few signs.

“Luna, you seem to be in a good mood today! I presume Nightmare Night went well?”

The lunar goddess grinned – a bit too goofily, for a princess – and sat down on her gilded seat. “My dear sister, it was, to say the least, one of the most wonderful of nights!”

Celestia was smiling as well. She had never seen her sister so radiant and happy since she had broken free of Nightmare Moon, and it was infectious. “I’d like to hear what happened in detail. Twilight Sparkle told me in her letter that you made some friends?”

“Yes! And I have her to thank for it! But to tell you the truth, Celly, the night did not go well for us-me at first…” The younger sister’s head bowed slightly at the recollection.

The solar princess gave Luna an encouraging smile, urging her to continue. She noted happily that her sister was now taking care not to use the Royal Canterlot Speech in daily conversation.

“The ponies of Ponyville were very afraid of me in the beginning. Whomever I talked with cowered in fear, even the mayor mare. But your student, Twilight Sparkle, was always there for me. It was she that taught us-me how to get along with the citizens.”

Princess Celestia beamed with pride. “I am glad both of you learned something about friendship last night. I am so proud of you, Luna.”

“I am so happy! The ponies, they all laughed with me when I played the games. I got high scores too!” The blissful alicorn grinned playfully. “Oh, and I have invited Twilight Sparkle over to tea. I was wondering if you would like to join us.”

“Did you set a date yet?”

“I was thinking next week, after I raise the moon.”

The elder alicorn lifted a hoof thoughtfully. “Dusk tea? But that would probably be afternoon for you, since you usually get up in the afternoon – though you should keep in mind that Twilight might want to go back to Ponyville for the night. If that were the case, the time you have with her would be somewhat limited.”

“Ah, I hadn’t thought of that! Very well, I shall compose a letter as soon as I return to my chambers. If she wishes to return to Ponyville, I will simply have to adjust the time.”

Princess Celestia leaned over and gently nuzzled her sister. “Good, you are learning to be more and more considerate towards your friends.”

“Thank you, sister,” Luna said happily. “Oh, and could you help me send the letter? I am aware that thou art – I mean, you are – the only one at present connected to Twilight’s dragon scribe.”

“Of course, but if you would like to contact her more frequently, you could place the linking spell on him next time you visit Ponyville,” said the Sun Goddess. “And you’re starting to get used to the new Equestrian now! A night with Twilight Sparkle and you have changed so much…” She smirked teasingly at her sister. “I think I may be a bit jealous of her.”