• Published 15th Apr 2013
  • 2,498 Views, 110 Comments

Dr Who / Lunaverse - Time after Time - Talon and Thorn



Fleeing from the Time Lords the Doctor accidentally damages the barrier between his own universe and that of Equestria an event that may lead to disaster for both universe. Now he must visit Equestria again and again to solve the problem.

  • ...
8
 110
 2,498

6th Doctor - The Multi-coloured Man

It was later afternoon on the outskirts of Ponyville and two mares were walking purposely away from the town. In some ways they were very similar and in others a study in contrasts. One, Rarity, was a white unicorn with a purple mane, a fashion designer by trade; the other, Carrot Top, a yellow coated earth pony farmer with a mane as orange as the crop she harvested. Both were known as generous souls - in fact Carrot Top was the very element of generosity and known to be willing to offer a hoof to anyone who wanted aid. Some even considered her to be quite a pushover. Rarity on the other hand was a much cooler customer, like her companion she was also known to be generous but in a more “I scratch you back, you scratch mine” way. Her generosity was often used as a tool to improve her station in life.

In appearance the two were quite different, even beyond their colouring and tribe. Rarity’s coat shone in the late afternoon sun while Carrot Top’s, although freshly washed, was splotched with ground in muddy stains from the long hours working her fields. However, both of their manes were implacable cleaned and styled; Rarity’s because she expected perfection in her physical appearance in order to make a good impression and boost her business, Carrot Top’s because it was the one piece of vanity that she allowed herself in her life of manual labour. Rarity wore a giant hat, a pink number with feathers almost as tall again as herself, and a pink and yellow striped dress fit for a royal gala, while Carrot Top was naked apart from a black shawl she had seen at the market last week and had fallen in love with.

Despite their differences the two considered each other their friend, although not necessarily a close friend. Currently they were on their way to visit a mutual acquaintance, the hermit-like pegasus Fluttershy, who lived a short distance outside of town, near the fearsome Everfree Forest. Carrot Top, although aware of Fluttershy for several years, had only become her friend a few months ago after helping her recover from a strange curse. Rarity had know Fluttershy for even less time, the two having met when she had visited the town spa only a few weeks ago. Although they had originally gotten off on the wrong hoof the two had eventually bonded over their mutual love of dress making. Currently the two mismatched mares were making plans to try and improve their mutual friend’s socially skills.

“I do hope Fluttershy is alright with the two of us coming to dinner like this,” said Carrot Top. “Apart from Rainbow Dash, Dinky and Ditzy, I don’t think she’s ever actually invited another pony into her house before.”

“I’m sure she’ll do fine, darling,” replied her companion. “It was her own idea after all. At least it was mostly her own idea, I only had to prompt her a tiny bit at last month's spa date before she invited us to dinner.”

Carrot Top shuddered a bit at this. She was aware that Rarity could be rather forceful at times. She hoped that she hadn’t strongarmed Fluttershy too much.

Not noticing her companions distress, the white unicorn continued, “I wonder what she’ll be serving us?”

“Well I have a fairly good idea,” replied Carrot Top, putting her misgivings aside for the moment. “Ditzy asked to borrow some of my cookery books for Fluttershy last week, and I saw Angel in the market yesterday. Unless I miss my guess it will be onion casserole and some type of cheesecake.”

“That sounds simply divine. I suppose she’s a good cook, she can’t have much else to do out here in the middle of nowhere.”

“I’ve brought a few bottles of my latest batch of Carrot Juice to wash it down with.” Her latest enterprise was selling well, the spa had increased its original order and she was considering trying to sell it to some of the town’s general stores as well. ”It improves any meal.” she continued, trying out an advertising slogan Trixie had suggested.

“If only I was as talented at food preparation as you, but my skills lie in other areas. I am but passable in the kitchen. So instead I’ve brought this little offering for our hostess.” The white unicorn opened her saddlebag and levitated a necklace in front of Carrot Top’s face. “I found the gem just a few days ago and thought it matched Fluttershy’s cutie mark so well, I was inspired to create straight away. Sparkler, the dear, helped me with the mounting but most of it is my own humble work. The gem was so well shaped that it only required a little cutting and polishing. I think the final work is magnifique.” The necklace was indeed a work of art. The butterfly shaped diamond, apparently carved from a single piece of crystal, was inlaid in a silver backing which was connected to an intricate collection of chains.

“Oh, I’m sure she’ll love it,” gushed Carrot Top. “Now if only we could persuade her to come into town to show it off to someone.” She had a sudden flash of inspiration. “Maybe the town fair, that’s a few months away.”

“Baby steps, dear, baby steps. It’s a big thing for the poor dear to just have dinner with the two of us, let alone actually going out in public.”

“I guess so. She has really come on in leaps and bounds recently. Only a few months ago she only ever talked to Dash and Ditzy, now she’s come into town and has you and me as friends as well.”

“Exactly, at this rate she’ll be putting on shows for the public in only a few decades. Given her looks she could easily be a model,“ replied the white unicorn with a smile.

***

Fluttershy, tail raised daringly and wings fully unfurled, stalked down the catwalk carefully putting one hoof in front of the other. Her Rarity made outfit consisted of mere strips of silk designed to enhance rather than cover. Upon reaching the pole at the far end of the platform she dexterously twirled herself around it before retracing her steps staring seductively at the audience, face half covered by her mane. Around her the crowd went crazy bellowing, stomping and throwing bits.

***

Carrot top shook herself out of her revelry, cheeks glowing red. “Bad mind,” she thought, “where had that come from?

“Are you alright, darling?” asked Rarity noticing her flustered state.

“I think we should hurry,” the earth pony quickly said to cover her embarrassment. “I don’t like the look of those clouds over there.”

“I didn’t think there was rain planned for today,” replied her companion, looking worriedly at the sky.

“There isn’t, but those are from the Everfree. According to Raindrops rogue weather often comes from there, and I don’t see any weather pegasus around to deal with them.”

“Then we simply must hurry then, I would be devastated if my outfit got wet before I could show it off to Fluttershy.”

With that the two mares picked up their pace towards their friend’s home.


Less than half an hour later Rarity and Carrot Top arrived at the bridge over the stream that flowed near Fluttershy’s home. The cottage itself stood only a short distance away. The house although a constructed building was designed to blend into nature as much as possible; the roof was covered in greenery and the surrounding area contained burrows and nests of all kinds.

Carrot Top gulped. She always felt a little intimidated by the house, the various critters living in the area seemed to be staring at and judging her. Rarity, however, did not seem to be distressed in the slightest and pranced right up to the door.

“This really is the most charming little home, don’t you think?” asked Rarity “So unique, it must have been quite expensive to build. I had to take out a significant loan for my own humble boutique, I wonder where Fluttershy got the bits for this?” She raised an eyebrow and looked inquisitively at her companion.

Carrot Top didn’t like where the conversation was going. Although she doubted Rarity would purposely try to hurt Fluttershy her social ambition was well known, and if she found out about Fluttershy’s background, well that was a disaster waiting to happen.

“I don’t really know much about Fluttershy’s past. I think she inherited this place of something,” she stammered. “Isn’t it rude, us just standing about out here?”

Rarity gave her companion a long hard look. “Yes, I suppose so.” She turned back to the door and knocked smartly. “Fluttershy, dear, we’ve arrived,” she called in a sing-song voice.

Time seemed to stretch as they waited on the doorstep, Rarity was just about to knock again when the door opened a little. At first it appeared that there was no-one there but then she looked down and noticed Fluttershy’s pet rabbit, Angel, looking up at the visitors with a frown on his face. The Rabbit was dressed in an abbreviated suit and had a cloth over one arm. He gestured that they should enter the house.

“Don’t you just look precious,” squealed Rarity admiring the diminutive butler before going to pet him. In response Angel narrowed his eyes, giving her a look that seemed to say ‘I’m doing this for Fluttershy, not you’, which stopped her in her tracks. Recovering, the white unicorn brushed passed the rabbit and went into the house proper. Angel glared after her for a second before giving Carrot Top a slightly friendlier look. The orange mare reached back into her saddlebag and dropped a carrot in front of the rabbit who, happy that his services had been paid for, grabbed it, shrugged and hopped away into another room.

The interior of the house was just as organic as the outside, it was festooned with further nests and burrows for the large number of creatures which made this place home. The occupants of these dwellings seemed unnaturally quiet, and stared, uneasily, at the intruders in their midst.

The house’s owner stood at the far end of the room hiding behind her mane and nervously hopping from hoof to hoof. She opened her mouth but only a thin squeak emerged. She looked down and steeled herself before trying again. “I’m sorry, dinner’s not ready yet,” she murmured, almost inaudibly. “I should have put it on earlier, I’m such a bad host, I’d understand if you want to leave.”

Carrot Top looked at the yellow pegasus with pity. She was shaking slightly and looked like she might burst into tears. The orange mare quickly stepped forward to comfort her friend. “That’s okay Fluttershy, neither of us is hungry yet.” she said, Rarity nodded encouragingly, “How about we all sit down and have a drink while we wait for dinner to finish cooking?”

The room seemed to release its breath as Carrot Top brought out a bottle and Rarity gently maneuvered Fluttershy towards a seat. The nervous pegasis slumped down and tried to make herself look small.

Carrot Top busied herself in the kitchen looking for some glasses. She briefly examined the dinner, it was indeed an onion casserole and smelled smelled wonderful. It would be ready, by her estimate, in less than half an hour. She opened a cupboard to find that it only contained two sets of crockery. She worried for a moment that it was Fluttershy’s entire supply, but then she noticed a box still covered in some packaging containing a further half dozen sets. The host had apparently planned ahead. The orange mare selected three glasses and carried them into the main room on her back.

By the time the farmer arrived back in the living room Fluttershy seemed more at ease. Rarity, her hat packed away somewhere, had produced a magazine and the two mares were talking about some of the clothing designs in it. The fashionista was doing the vast majority of the actual talking but the pink maned pegasus was nodding along and even occasionally adding her own observations. Smiling, Carrot Top put down the glasses on a side table and filled them with the juice she had brought before giving them out to the other ponies present. She wracked her brain for a toast. “To friendship,” she finally announced. Rarity and even Fluttershy echoed her sentiments.

“On that note,” said Rarity, levitating the necklace from her bags. “I’d like you to have this for agreeing to host this little soiree.”

“Oh, I couldn’t,” mumbled Fluttershy eyes downcast.

“I insist,” she replied gently pushing the gift towards the pink maned mare.

“Just try it on,” encouraged Carrot Top. “It really matches your cutie mark.”

Caving under the pressure, Fluttershy remained still as Rarity fastened the clasp.

“You look beautiful darling,” said Rarity using her magic to create a reflective surface in the air to allow Fluttershy to see herself. “You could be a model - with your looks you’d have to beat the stallions off with a stick, a big stick.”

The pink maned mare looked up almost in terror. “Oh, I wouldn’t want to do that,” she squeaked.

“It’s just a figure of speech, darling. The necklace makes you look very pretty.”

“Thank you,” said Fluttershy staring at her reflection as if seeing herself for the first time “Thank you, both of you. I’m sorry for making so much of a fuss about tonight.” She looked her guests straight in the eye, “I’ll try to stop being such a silly pony.”

The afternoon improved from then on. Fluttershy, although still nervous seemed to gain confidence as time passed and she got more comfortable with her companions. She even interrupted one of Rarity’s tales of her last business trip to Canterlot when Carrot Top asked her about a family of bluebirds inhabiting part of the dining room, although she was unable to speak for several minutes after realising this. The casserole turned out to be rather bland, but was still enjoyable, and the lemon cheesecake dessert was excellent. Fluttershy explained, with some muted pride, that the fruit came from a tree in her garden, which she had planted herself when she had first moved in.

This is turning into a fun afternoon, nothing can go wrong now,” thought Carrot Top, instantly jinxing it.


Not too far away a further pair of ponies were approaching Fluttershy’s cottage. As with Rarity and Carrot Top they too had similarities and differences. In this case, although they appeared to be ponies they were in fact nothing of the sort. Instead they were natives of an entirely different universe, and their natural forms were homid in appearance rather than equine. However, for the safety of the universe they currently inhabited they had transformed themselves into a form matching that of the natives of Equestria. The Doctor, now in his sixth incarnation, was once again in the form of a unicorn. A curly blond mane covered his head while the rest of his pelt was a dark blue in colour. His somewhat rotund bulk was wrapped in a thick coat made up of a mismatch of colourful segments ranging from yellow and orange to blue and green, and around his neck was a light blue cravat. His current companion was an earth pony mare of late middle age, her dark mane graying, and her coat a light pink. She was wearing a sensible cardigan and had large black saddlebags covering her lack of a cutie mark. Her name was Evelyn Smyth.

“There is absolutely no reason for you to have to come with me, Evelyn,” said the Doctor. “In fact it may be even be dangerous to both yourself and this universe.”

“Nonsense,” she retorted. “You said your machine would keep us safe for several hours at least, that’s plenty of time to find this seal thingy and get back to the TARDIS.”

“My Equigenetic transmogrifier, or my machine, as you so colloquially call all it, has limits. The more individuals it transforms the shorter the effect lasts and the less stable it is, as I found out during my last visit. Having both of us transformed reduces the duration it can keep us safe.”

“That’s enough of that, you’re not leaving me behind on this. It’s not everyday I get to explore a new universe, or try on a new body. It’s certainly a difference from my classes back at the university. Anyway I was quite the equestrian back in my day you know, although I never thought I’d find out what its actually like to be a horse”.

“And what do you think of the experience?”

“Its quite pleasant really. Not having hands takes a bit of getting used to, but a lot of the old aches and pains seem to have melted away. Are you sure you couldn’t have given me a horn? That telekinesis thing looks useful.”

“I’m afraid the transmogrifier’s effects are specific to each phenotype. Each person can only support a single equine subspecies.”

“In English, Doctor.”

“You were born to be a simple Earth Pony, Evelyn, whereas my current body is destined to be a noble unicorn, although I do rather miss the wings I had last time I was here.”

“That’s enough of that cheek,” replied Evelyn with a scowl, “and you could have picked a better time to arrive, it looks like rain.” Indeed large drops of water had started to fall lazily from the sky even as she said this. “Where is this seal thing we’re looking for anyway?”

The Doctor levitated the tracking wand from his coat and scanned it around in an arc. It gave a gentle beeping sound when pointed towards the nearby cottage. “It would appear that the seal, whatever form it has taken, is within that dwelling over there.”

“My goodness, its rather rustic isn’t it. Look at all the birds and animals around it. I expect Snow White to step out and start to sing while she cleans.”

“Well appearances can be somewhat deceptive here, but it doesn’t look like there will be any problem obtaining the shard this time. Come on Evelyn, lets get in there before these forms start to degrade or we get soaked to the skin.” With that the Doctor opened his coat to allow Evelyn to shelter under it and the two of them crossed the small stream at the edge of Fluttershy’s property together and headed towards the house itself.


“And I said, well at least with this dress you’ll be able to tell the difference between the bride and the Diamond Dog!” said Rarity finishing her tale. Carrot Top laughed so hard she almost fell off her seat, and even Fluttershy tittered quietly. The muffled sound of rain could just be heard in the background.

Suddenly, there was a knocking at the door, Fluttershy’s head snapped around and stared at it in horror as if it had just burst into flames. She looked between her guests in terror.

The poor dear,“ thought Carrot Top, “she’s even scared of her own door.

“Whoever could that be?” questioned Rarity.

“I’m sure it’s just Rainbow or maybe Ditzy , maybe they decided to join us,” said Carrot Top reassuringly to the hostess. “Why don’t you just answer the door and find out?”

Fluttershy started to back away shaking her head, “Oh, I couldn’t, it might be anyone.”

“Come, now Darling,” said Rarity. “It’s just a door. You were scared about tonight and it’s turned out marvelously. I’m sure you can do this.”

Fluttershy looked between her two friends, both of whom were smiling warmly and gesturing towards the door. For a moment it seemed she might flee but then she gathered her courage and slowly stepped forward. Angel stuck his head into the room and watched his owner’s unusual behaviour closely.

With a trembling hoof Fluttershy reached for the door, then drew it back again, before steeling herself and pulling the door open a fraction to reveal the Doctor and Evelyn.

“Ah, good evening,” announced the Doctor loudly as the door opened, his mane plastered to his head by the rain. “Can we come in please? It’s rather wet out here.” The device floating at his side gave a loud buzzing sound. “Interesting! Do you mind if I have a look at that necklace you’re wearing?” His aura reached out and grasped the piece of jewelry.

With a squeak of distress Fluttershy jumped back from the Doctors grip in a panic. He seemed to take this as an invitation and pushed into the building itself. “This is very... quant,” he said looking around.

Seeing her friend’s distress, Carrot Top rushed to put herself between Fluttershy and the colourful intruder. “Excuse me,” she said sternly. “You’re scaring my friend.”

“Yes,” agreed Rarity stepping forward. “Please...” she stared at the visitor, her eyes grew wide and she took a step back, then stumbled to the ground, her legs suddenly too weak to support her. “The horror! The horror!” she mumbled, shaking.

“Rarity!” shouted Carrot Top coming to the fallen mare’s rescue. “What’s wrong?”

“What have you done to that poor mare, Doctor?” asked Evelyn, entering the room.

“Her condition has nothing to do with me, I only just got here,” he replied.

“Oh, Carrot Top,” screeched Rarity, clutching the yellow mare to her. “It was horrible, there was this clashing monstrosity of a coat. Why is it suddenly so dark?” She waved a hoof in front of her face and took a deep breath. “I’M BLIND!”. Disturbed, the various birds and critters started to holler and call, and several started to flutter around in confusion.

Evelyn turned to the Doctor and yelled to be heard over the chaos. “I told you that you’d hurt someone with that coat one of these days. I don’t know why you didn’t wear the blue one, its much nicer.”

Looking slightly confused the Doctor replied equally loudly, “Its only supposed to have that effect on the Galyari! Anyway, you know my other coat is currently covered in Rancor vomit.”

“Who are you? What are you doing here? What did you do to Rarity?” shouted Carrot Top, struggling to be heard over the rising volume.

Rarity continued to cry. “Oh, woe is me, blind, my beautiful eyes cursed to never see again, blind!”

STOOOOP!

Silence suddenly descended upon the house, and even the animals ceased screeching as all eyes turned towards the source of the yell. Fluttershy was standing with her rump pressed against the back door of the cottage, hyperventilating, her eyes wide and wings spread, shaking with stress. Finding herself the centre of attention, the terrified pegasus seemed to wilt, with a cry she turned and pushed the door open before launching herself into the sky to escape from the chaos behind her. Angel quickly scurried through the living room and ran outside to follow his mistress. By the time Carrot Top could disengage herself from Rarity’s grasping hooves Fluttershy was a small dot in the darkening gray sky heading towards the forbidding Everfree Forest.

Seeing their caretaker flee, the animals in the house went crazy, trying to escape in a panic. Rarity curled up into a ball on the floor as various animals ran over and past her. The Doctor tried to shield Evelyn from a flock of ducks that were buzzing her while she struggled with the door to allow the panicked herd to escape. At the same time he had to fend off a chipmunk which had leapt onto his face and was clawing at his eyes. Carrot Top lept onto the table she had recently been eating off, scattering the remains of the meal, to avoid a swarm of mice making for the front door.

As more and more animals fled the house, peace began to settle, and the Doctor used his telekinesis to pull the raging animal off his face and threw it into a cupboard before slamming the door. Eventually, Rarity started to uncurl, her dress ripped, and Carrot Top gingerly got down off the table looking for any more rampaging rodents.

“Is everybody alright?” asked the Doctor looking around at the wreckage.

Carrot Top and Evelyn both nodded. “Still blind,” noted Rarity morosely.

“What’s wrong with her, Doctor?” asked Evelyn looking at the disabled mare.

“I don’t know,” replied the Doctor, taking a small penlight from his pocket and examining the white unicorn’s eyes.

“Wait, you’re the Doctor?” said Carrot Top. “The stallion from the other universe? The girls told me about you. Are you looking for another seal fragment?”

“Yes, I think that yellow and pink Pegasus may have possession of one of the fragments, possibly that necklace she was wearing.” noted the stallion distractedly. “Now do be quiet for a moment. Can you see anything at all, Miss, err, Rarity wasn’t it?”

“Nothing at all, all is black. I’m blind, who ever heard of a blind fashion designer?” moaned Rarity. “Still, I’ve heard this sort of thing makes the other senses heighten.” she continued, perking up. “Maybe I‘ll be able to hear colours, smell shades, feel contrasts. I’ll be unique, I’ll be famous, ponies will come from all around to purchase the works of Rarity, the Blind fashionista of Ponyville!”

“So what is wrong with her?” asked Evelyn again as the Doctor finished his examination of the now ranting unicorn.

“Apart from a bad case of melodrama?” replied the stallion with a raised eyebrow. “Nothing physical as far as I can tell. I think the condition may be psychological in nature.”.

“She’s making it up?” asked Carrot Top trying to keep up with the conversation.

“Not at all, I think its some form of hysterical blindness caused by the stress of seeing my coat. She doesn’t seem to be able to appreciate its true magnificence.”

“Or she has a sense of taste,” muttered Evelyn.

The Doctor ignored her and continued, “I think as long as she remains away from my presence she should make a full recovery.”

“I think you’re right, Doctor,” agreed Rarity. “I’m starting to see a slight haziness.“ She turned towards the blond stallion. “And blind again.”

“I think it’s best if we get you comfortable here then,” said the Doctor as he and Carrot Top heaved the white unicorn onto a sofa, “While the rest of us set off after that yellow pony wearing part of your universe’s barrier.”

“Fluttershy,” interrupted Carrot Top, sharply, remembering what had caused her friend to flee.

“Pardon?”

“Her name’s Fluttershy, and she lives up to her name,” continued the orange mare, snarling, “You barged into her home and scared her half to death. We had to work really hard just to persuade her to invite two friends to dinner, after this she’ll probably never want anyone else to set hoof in her house again.”

“It’s not my fault she’s so sensitive,” replied the Doctor defensively.

“You didn’t need to be so aggressive though, did you,” said Evelyn.

The Doctor deflated somewhat, rubbing the back of his neck with his hoof. “Yes, I suppose I did overdo it a bit, I should probably apologize when I see her. Now which way did she go?”

“Towards the Everfree forest,” replied Carrot Top pointing towards the wood.

“And that would be that rather spooky looking collection of trees over there would it?” asked the older mare.

“Yes, its a home for all sorts of monsters.”

“Then we should set off before she gets into any sort of trouble.” said the Doctor, heading out of the Door followed by Carrot Top and Evelyn.

A few minutes passed.

“Darlings?” asked Rarity to the thin air. When she got no reply she carried on, “I guess I’ll just hold down the fort here then. In the darkness.” She shivered, listening to the sound of an enraged rodent trying to claw its way through a cupboard door.


The weary pegasis tumbled to the ground, her wings too wet and tired to carry her any further. She just laid there in the mud crying, letting her heart slowly return to its normal rate. She didn’t know where she was, just that she was exhausted and soaked and cold.

She’d been having such a nice time, she’d invited people to dinner, her! Just like a normal pony! And she’d only been a little bit frightened. But then the bright, loud pony had arrived and tried to grab her necklace and she’d been so frightened and they all started to shout and it had hurt her head and she’d been so scared she shouted at them, then they’d all looked at her with surprised, scary, expectant eyes and she’d just had to get away.

Slowly she picked herself up, continuing to weep. She couldn’t go back now, not with the eyes there, watching her, knowing what a horrible pony she was. She'd have to leave now, to go far away from her animal friends and Angel and her cozy cottage and garden.

Weighted down by her dark thoughts Fluttershy wandered randomly through the forest unaware of the creatures watching her from the darkness. Ahead she heard the sound of flowing water, and singing?

…please oh please, don’t decline … come and dance on the river’s bed…


The three ponies had been making good time until they reached the forest itself. The rain had stopped as quickly as it had started but it and the previous showers had left the ground sodden. In addition the sun was rapidly dropping below the horizon making the forest darker and more forbidding. Although the tracker gave the Doctor a rough idea of Fluttershy’s position and distance, the trees themselves were thick enough to require them to have to circle around and double back several times in their pursuit. It was hard and tiring work.

“So who is this Fluttershy pony anyway?” asked Evelyn as she carefully avoided a boggy patch of ground. “I know the Doctor can be a bit over the top but I’ve not seen anyone run at the sight of him before.”

“She’s sort of a hermit. She lives outside of town and looks after the animals,” replied Carrot Top, stepping over a tangle of roots.

“Sort of a vet or ranger then?”

“I suppose so, its more of a hobby than a job. She’s independently wealthy, and her family owns some weather factories, I think.” explained the farmer. “They were grooming her to run them but she couldn’t handle the pressure, so they moved her here.”

“That sounds rather cruel.”

“They thought it was for the best, she generally seems happy just living with her animals. She has a few people she trusts, an old school friend, the mail mare and her daughter and now me and Rarity. She getting better at socialising, but its hard work.”

“You must be a really good friend to put so much effort into helping her.”

“I suppose so, I feel sorry for her out here by herself. She was starting to make some progress she actually agreed to invite us to dinner on her own, more or less. Now the Doctor's scared her off into the Everfree, I don’t know how long it will take to calm her down.” she examined the stallion currently leading the way, “He’s not how I thought he’d be, the girls made him sound more heroic and well.. nice, he seems like a bully to me.”

“You’re not seeing him at his best, he can be wonderfully kind. He’s just a bit overpowering, he needs someone who’ll not take any of his guff.”

“I can hear you, you know,” said the Doctor techilly, turning to face the mares.

“I know you can,” replied Evelyn tartilly coming to a halt. “You should be ashamed of yourself, you’ve been behaving disgracefully, you scared that poor pony half to death earlier.”

“I could have handled that better, I suppose,” he replied looking somewhat abashed. “But the last time I was here I stayed too long and almost hurt a lot of ponies. I wanted to get us back to the TARDIS as quickly as possible, I was worried of the consequences.”

“How likely is it that we will explode anyway?” said Evelyn, Carrot Top jumped back from them, with a squeak.

“I’ve made a few adjustments to the transmogrifier since my last visit so less than it used to be, we probably have a day or more before any major interaction occurs.”

“So, you were making a mountain out of a molehill then?”

“Yes,” said the doctor shamefacedly. Quickly he tried to change the subject. “Do you have anything to drink? All this walking has made me rather parched.”

“Sorry, I didn’t pack a thermos.” said Evelyn rummaging through her saddlebags. “I’ve got some sponge cake, though.”

“I’ve got something,” said Carrot Top, lifting a bottle from her own bags.

The Doctor levitated the bottle over and sniffed it. “What is this?” he asked.

“Carrot juice,” said Carrot Top with some pride. “Made from my own crop.”

“Ah, I find the taste of carrot juice rather unpleasant.”

“Oh,” she said in a tone suggesting that death was too good for people who don’t like carrot juice. Then her ears pricked up. “Do you hear singing?” she asked, “It seems sort of familiar.“

…come on in, the water’s fine … please oh please, don’t decline…

Suddenly with a crack a tree started to fall directly onto the Doctor, he looked up but found himself frozen to the spot. “Look out!” called Carrot Top as she leapt into action, hurling herself at the blue stallion and knocking both of them out of the falling vegetation's path. The bottle she had been holding went flying and smashed on a rock. The two of them ended up in a ball on the ground with Carrot Top on top.

“Are we still alive?” asked the Doctor stunned.

“I think so,” replied the orange mare.

“I’m so glad, I’d hate my last words to be about carrot juice, that would be so banal. Now if you would just get off me.”

“Sorry,” replied Carrot Top disentangling herself from the dark blue stallion with a blush.

“Are you both alright?” asked Evelyn carefully clambering over the tree. “Why did that happen?”

“I think it might be because of that,” said the Doctor pointing into the forest.

With a roar the large brown form of a bear crashed into the clearing, shoving aside trees and bushes in its path. It charged towards the Doctor, who struggled to get to his hooves and avoid it. On the leviathan’s back stood the small white shape of Angel Bunny. He gestured to Carrot Top indicating that she should stay out of this.

“What is that thing?” asked the Doctor trying to avoid the bears blows.

“I’ve never seen the bear before, but the rabbit’s Angel, he’s Fluttershy’s err, assistant.” said Carrot Top hopping from hoof to hoof in indecision. “I think he might be angry that you scared Fluttershy, he’s a bit protective of her.”

“A bit protective, a bit protective,” repeated the Doctor in increasing volume as he instinctively formed a magical shield around himself. “A bit protective, you have a talent for understatement. It’s trying to kill me!”

The bear swatted at the coated stallion him with paws the size of a pony’s head, which smashed the shield to glowing fragments that quickly evaporated. Suddenly with a wet splat something impacted on the back of the creatures head. It turned in surprise and got a faceful of cake hurled by Evelyn. “Get out of here Doctor,” she cried. “We’ll deal with this, you find Fluttershy.”

“I’m not leaving you!”

“It’s you it wants, if you leave maybe it’ll calm down.”

After a moment of indecision the Doctor turned and ran deeper into the forest.

The bear finished licking its face clean and started to pace towards Evelyn, sniffing the air. Angel tried to turn the beast towards the fleeing Doctor, but it ignored his efforts and continued towards the pink pony.

“Oh dear,” she mumbled, “I think I made it hungry,” before turning tail and running for her life.


The Doctor rushed through the undergrowth with the sounds of the bear fading away behind him. Ahead he could hear the sound of running water, quite a large river from the sound of it. He checked the tracker; it seemed that Fluttershy, or at least her necklace, was only a short distance away. Oddly he thought he could make out singing just at the edge of his hearing.

…come and dance on the river’s bed … come on in and join the dead…

Getting closer to the river he saw the butter coloured Pegasus at the edge of the water. She was just standing there, staring into the distance, wings drooping and a hollow smile in her face.

Come on in, the water’s fine … please oh please, don’t decline

For a moment his hooves ached. It would be so enjoyable to paddle for a while, to just go into the water and relax. “You can stop doing that,” he announced. “It’s not going to work. I’ve had the best try to influence my mind, and you, whoever you are, are not the best.”

Three pony like shapes rose from out of the water. There was something slightly serpentine about the shape of their bodies and in place of rear legs were fish like tails splashing in the water. Each was a slightly different shade of green and one was slightly more masculine in form to the others, but the most significant difference between them was their eyes. One had red eyes, the next teal and the final yellow.

“We are sirens,” announced the first regally.

“I thought we were kelpies?” whispered the teal eyed male to his companion.

“Quiet you!” hissed the third.

Red eyes narrowed her gaze. “Why aren't you affected by our song? You’re not another critic are you?”

“No, I quite like it, very catchy. I’m just not a normal pony, you see, I’m from another universe”

“Oooh, exotic food,” said yellow eyes. “I could go for that.”

“Thats what we do, you see, we eat ponies,” explained the teal eyed one conversationally. “Like that one over there,” it said, waving a leg at Fluttershy. “Well most of us do,” it continued, glaring at its red eyed companion.

“If it was any other pony I would, but just look at her, she’s so cute. See those big blue eyes? It would be like eating a puppy!”

“We do eat puppies!” came the exasperated reply.

“Sure, because they're delicious, but I still feel a bit bad about it.”

“’We shouldn't be arguing in front of the food again, it makes us look bad,” the yellow eyed one pointed out.

“Oh, don’t mind me,” said the Doctor, edging towards Fluttershy, “carry on with your conversation.”

“Stop right there,” said the yellow eyed mare. “If you try anything we can have this delicious morsel diving to her doom before you can take another step.”

“Hey, how about you become dinner, in exchange for her?” suggested the stallion brightly.

“I don’t know, he looks a bit flabby, I’m trying to watch my weight,” said the red eyed mare inspecting the Doctor.

“So am I,” responded yellow.

“Honestly, mares,” said the stallion. “Maybe I should try that asexual thing that unicorn was on about. I wouldn’t have to listen to you two complain all the time then, and I might get some occasionally.”

“We’ve told you before, I’m sure you’ll make some mare very happy one day, but we want to keep out careers and social lives separate,” replied red. Yellow nodded in agreement.

“Anyway, back to eating me,” said the Doctor sounding a bit annoyed, “I think you will find that all of this is muscle.” He struck a pose. “I am as fine a meal as you could hope to find, in this or any other universe.”

“You’re starting to make me drool,” said red, wiping her mouth with a hoof. “Ok, you agree to be dinner and we’ll let the yellow one go.”

“If you let Fluttershy go, then you can devour me if you so wish,” agreed the Doctor.

“You promise?” said yellow.

“Cross my hearts,” he said gesturing at his chest.

“Multiple hearts? Oh, those are the best bits,” said teal.

“No funny business. Come over here before we let the pegasus go,” said red, sounding suspicious.

The doctor calmly made his way over to the edge of the flowing river and faced the three aquatic ponies. “Now let her go.”

The yellow eyed siren hummed a quick counter melody and Fluttershy seemed to snap out of her daze. She looked around and squeaked in terror, eyes darting from creature to creature apparently frozen in panic.

“Fluttershy,” said the Doctor gently. “Go back the way you came, you should find Carrot Top and my friend Evelyn not too far away, maybe even Angel as well.”

“But...” the pink maned pony whimpered.

“Don’t worry, everything's going to be alright.”

With one last look around the pegasus scampered away.

“That was very nice,” commented the red eyed siren, “Now into the water, I’m hungry.”

“Of course,” said the Doctor with a bow, “I did promise,” he cleared his throat. “It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.” He went to step into the water. “But wait, what is this in my pocket?” He theatrically produced a short white wand-like device. The wand started to hum and vibrate. “Why this is a Microwave State Change Inducer, if this were to come into contact with a body of water it would instantly convert it into high temperature steam. Still, I did promise.” He started to step forward.

“A what now?” said the yellow eyed mare, looking confused.

The Doctor sighed. “In your terminology, a magic wand.”

“Wait, it turns water into steam?” said the teal eyed stallion starting to back away, “That would kill us!”

“And you too,” said red with narrowed eyes, “You’re bluffing.”

“Am I?” said the Doctor with a smile, he started to lower the device towards the water.

For a tense moment the sirens stared as the Doctor who looked back calmly.

Yellow was the first to crack. “Come on guys, this isn’t worth it. He’s too fatty anyway, if his thingy doesn’t get us the cholesterol will.” She dived under the water and started to swim down river.

The remaining two sirens looked at each other, “Come on, we better get after that coward before she ends up out to sea,” said the stallion. The other nodded in agreement before giving the doctor the evil eye. “Ok, you can go,” she spat before they both retreated out of sight.

The Doctor let out the breath he had been holding and slumped slightly. That had been close. He switched off the rod. Turning, he found Fluttershy still standing at the treeline looking at him with watery eyes. On only slightly shaking hooves the Doctor made his way up to her. “There, there,” he said hugging her. She tensed up for a moment, then collapsed into his grip. “They’ve gone now.”

“Would you really have done that, to save me?” she sobbed, her voice muffled by the fabric of his coat.

“Yes, if I had to,” replied the Doctor. “But not with this,” he continued, indicating the white rod, “this is a tooth brush.”


Crashing through the forest the bear continued its pursuit of the source of the delicious confectionary that had been thrown at its face, its attempt to kill the Doctor forgotten. Evelyn was galloping for all she was worth but was only just able to stay ahead of it. Carrot Top was trailing slightly behind the creature but was quickly catching up.

“Angel, Angel,” yelled Carrot Top as she ran alongside the bear. “You need to stop this now, before somepony gets hurt.”

The small rabbit tugged at the bear’s neck with no effect, before shrugging. Things had gotten out of his paws. Trying to take control Carrot Top rushed ahead and positioned herself between the bear and Evelyn’s fleeing form. She reared up to her full height trying to look as large and threatening as possible. The bear completely ignored her and with a shrug knocked the orange farmer aside. She tumbled through the air and with a splash landed in a muddy pool. Pulling herself to her hooves she shook herself to clean off the worst of the muck. “I suppose it’s a farmers lot to get covered in mud,” she thought bitterly. She felt something drip past her ear and put a hoof to her head, her shawl was missing and her carefully conditioned and sculpted mane was ruined by the mud and slime. “My hair! This is the last straw. I’m so angry I’m literally seeing red,” she thought. Then she looked around and realised the red colour was not due to her anger.

Evelyn continued to run as fast as she could from the bear, but the elderly pony was starting to tire and slow. With a burst of speed Carrot Top was alongside her, in her mouth was a large branch covered in bright red berries

“‘oh,’ou ‘ave any ‘ore of that ‘ake?” she asked.

“What?”

“‘ake the ‘ake!”

“Oh the cake, yes *gasp* I have one more. Marks and Spencers finest!”

“‘ot?” the orange haired pony looked confused

“You don’t have Marks and Spencers here? Not such a, *pant*, utopia then.”

Behind them the bear struggled as it tried to tear it way through some thick vines which had become entangled around it.

The two mares came to a stop and Evelyn extricated the cake from her bags while Carrot Top stripped the berries from the branch with her mouth before placing them on the cake. The bear roared again in frustration causing both of them to jump. “Oops,” said Carrot Top, “I think I swallowed some, that might be trouble.”

“What are they supposed to do anyway?”

“They're Kroop berries, Cherilee asked if I could find her some a few months back but I couldn’t get any then. I did some research and apparently bears can’t get enough of them and they put them to sleep, I hope. I’m not sure what they do to ponies though.”

The bear finally broke through the vegetation and leapt towards the cake, messily devouring it in a single bite. It licked its lips and turned towards the watching ponies, snarling.

“I don’t think it worked,” said Evelyn backing away.

“Wait for it,” replied Carrot Top, feeling braver than usual, and a little light headed.

The creature’s snarl turned into a yawn. It blinked and yawned again before dropping to the ground, its eyes inched shut. Angel hopped off of his steed and gave it a kick, and the bear rolled over, almost crushing its former rider, before starting to snore.

“You’ve been a very naughty, err, bunny,” scolded Evelyn, towering over Angel while the rabbit looked up at her fearlessly, “What should we do with you?”

“How did I never notice Angel’s fur was so colourful?” asked Carrot Top, her pupils huge. She reached for the rabbit. “Wow, whose hooves are those?” she said, staring at her own legs.


It had taken some time but Fluttershy had eventually stopped crying. Now the yellow mare was hunched down in the dirt looking away from the Doctor.

“Are you feeling better now?” he said gently.

“Yes,” she replied, her voice barely audible, eyes still fixed on the ground.

“How did you end up here?”

“I was lost, I just wandered through the forest until I heard singing, then I wanted to go into the water.” She shuddered. “Then the sea ponies came and they were arguing and everything seemed so distant. I wanted to run and hide by my hooves wouldn’t move and I couldn’t think and it was so scary. Then you saved me, you made them go away. Thank you,” said Fluttershy, almost breaking into tears again.

“No, I should be apologizing to you, I’m the one that caused all this in the first place. It was terribly rude of me to try and take your necklace, I scared you. I can be rather inconsiderate of others feelings, I made you run here and put you in danger. It is all my fault. I most sincerely apologize for my actions,” said the blue stallion, lowering himself to the ground alongside her.

“Its my fault, not yours. I’m such a scaredy pony, normal ponies don’t run away just because someone knocks on their door. Being around other ponies just frightens me.“

“Everyone gets scared, Fluttershy, even me, although I might not show it. Facing those sirens I was scared, scared for myself, scared for you, scared for Evelyn, scared of what would happen to this universe if I were to die before I repair the seal. But I had to be brave for all of them, not just for myself.”

“I couldn’t do what you did, stand up to those Sirens. I can’t deal with other ponies, they all expect me to do things, I don’t want to disappoint them, so I try to keep away from them. Only my animals seem to understand me.”

“Wherever I go people expect me to do things for them to, usually save them,” said the Doctor somewhat bitterly. He sat in contemplation for a moment. “I’ll tell you something I’ve never told anyone else. It used to be so easy for me to be a hero, it came naturally, but the last time I died...”

The butter coloured mare’s head snapped up and she stared at the colourful figure next to her “You died?” she said.

“It’s not quite the same for my people as everyone else, death isn’t always fatal to us. The hero dies only once by the coward dies many times,” he quoted, “Well for me even the hero dies several times. The last time I died I had sacrificed myself for my companion without a second thought, but it left me changed, more pensive, I keep wondering if the universe could cope without me. I used to never be cruel or cowardly, but recently this version of myself has been both. I put on a brash facade to cover the fears within. Like this coat,” he said with a grim smile, “Only a brave person would wear something like this, so people don’t look too closely at the person inside it. I try to surround myself with people like Evelyn who can remind me how I should act, they make me brave.”

“I don’t have many friends, or a coat.”

“You have Carrot Top and Rarity and some others, don’t you? Carrot Top came with me to this forbidding place without a second thought, that’s a true friend.”

The pink maned mare brightened slightly. “I invited her and Rarity to dinner. I thought I couldn’t do it, I could hardly sleep last night worrying how badly it would go, but when they got there it was nice, I had somepony to talk to. We even laughed together.”

“See, you were very brave and it was your friends that helped give you that bravery. Until I turned up and ruined it all. Once again I can only say I am sorry for the trouble I’ve caused you.” He laughed somewhat bitterly. “If I organised a dinner party I’d probably alienate most of the guests before the first course was over.”

“But I’m not brave like you are, Doctor. I can’t fight monsters or even deal with strangers.”

“Then how about we switch places?” said the Doctor, standing up. “You can be the Doctor and be brave, and I’ll be Fluttershy and be kind and understanding.”

With a yellow glow the doctor removed his coat and gently placed it around Fluttershy. It was too large for her and covered her wings, almost reaching the ground as it hung from her diminutive form. She giggled slightly.

“There, now you're wearing the Doctor’s coat, so you must be the Doctor, and everybody knows the Doctor’s brave and fights monsters, so you must be a brave pony then.”

Fluttershy looked down at herself. She momentarily closed her eyes to savour the sensation of the warm, heavy coat on her back before looking back at the Doctor. “Thank you, and you, you can be Fluttershy,” she replied, reaching for her necklace and awkwardly removing it before passing it over to the Doctor, who took it in his aura.

“Thank you, my dear, thank you very much,” he said.

For a few minutes they sat there together looking out over the river, thinking about the day’s events. The Doctor was the first to speak, “We better be on our way, shouldn't we Doctor, those creatures might return and we should see how Carrot Top and Evelyn are.”

“Yes, Fluttershy,” said Fluttershy with a smile.


The Doctor and Fluttershy eventually found the rest of their party by following the trail of devastation left by the bear. The bear itself was lying in the centre of a clearing, still sound asleep. Carrot top, looking a bit dazed, was talking to Evelyn while Angel was sitting with his back to them, his little arms crossed.

“Hello, everybody,” said Fluttershy in a voice only slightly below a normal conversational level, “I’m the Doctor.”

“And I’m Fluttershy,” continued the Doctor quietly with a smile.

Carrot Top’s jaw dropped and she looked between the pair not sure whether to believe her eyes or not.

Evelyn stood up. “Oh, no,” she said, “not another body swap thingy.”

The Doctor laughed. “No, not on this occasion. Miss Fluttershy here needs a bit of help to gather her confidence and she’s decided to take me on as something of a role model.”

“I can be brave because I’m wearing the Doctor’s coat!” announced the yellow mare.

“Well just be careful you don’t take on any of his less admirable traits as well then,” said Evelyn.

“I’ve decided to emulate Fluttershy to try and remove some of my more rough edges as well, Evelyn.”

“I’ll believe that when I see it,” she responded.

Suddenly they were pushed aside as Angel rushed past and lept onto Fluttershy, hugging her tightly.

“Oh, Angel,” cried Fluttershy nuzzling the rabbit, “Did you and Mr Bruin come to find Mommy as well? That was so nice of you.”

The rabbit suddenly seemed to realise he was in public and struggled out of his caretaker’s grip, before climbing onto her back and indicating to Evelyn that she should be quiet.

Fluttershy happily trotted over towards the bear and started to try and rouse him.

Carrot Top got to her hooves unsteadily, and looked back and forth between the Doctor and Fluttershy. “I’m confused,” she muttered, “That looks like Fluttershy, but she’s talking like a normal pony and she seems to have changed colour.”

The Doctor raised an eyebrow.

“Carrot Top ended up eating some of the berries we used to knock out the bear and it made her a little distracted. I’ve been talking her down, I’ve got some experience of this sort of thing from my students. She’s mostly recovered, but she’s still a bit spacey,” explained Evelyn.

“Wow, have you ever really looked at mud before,” said Carrot Top, scooping up a hoof full and letting it fall to the ground again. “It’s so strange”.

“Well, maybe a lot spacey.”

Behind them the bear was starting to stir, and under Fluttershy’s direction was getting to its feet smacking its lips.

“I’ve got the fragment,” said the Doctor revealing the necklace. “I can convert it back when I have a minute and once we get back to the TARDIS I can return it to it’s proper place. It should stabilize the universal seal quite significantly.”

“It’s a shame,” said Evelyn admiring the jewelry “it really brings out your eyes,” she chuckled.


Night had fully fallen by the time the group returned to Fluttershy’s cottage.

The bear had parted company with them on the way and had headed off to its own cave to sleep off the drugged cake. Likewise, Carrot Top had recovered somewhat, although she still tended to get distracted by the way the moonlight reflected off of the wet grass.

“You seem to have done Fluttershy a lot of good, Doctor,” said the orange maned farmer, indicating the pegasus mare who was walking a short distance in front of them, talking only slightly hesitantly to Evelyn about her home.

“She always had it inside her, I just had to give her a little push to help her out. She’s recovering from a nasty shock so I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some backsliding but with help from her friends like yourself I’m sure she can begin to socialise with other ponies, given time. She really is a sweet filly.”

“Well, thank you again for what you’ve done.”

“Do you have to leave already, Doctor?” asked Fluttershy as they arrived at her door.

“Yes, I’m afraid my time here is rather limited, I need to get back to the TARDIS. It’s not far away now.”

“I think I still have some cheesecake left from the meal. You can take some of that with you, if you want to that is,” she said shyly.

“I think a small snack would be most welcome before we leave,” said the Doctor.

The pegasus entered her house while the rest of the group waited outside.

Rarity’s voice could be heard from within the cottage. “Fluttershy Darling, you’re back! I was so worried, what’s that you’re wearing.... ARRGGGHH! MY EYES!”

Author's Note:

Many thanks to Mooncalf for pre-reading and grammar/spelling/punctuation/suggestions

Currently I have strong idea's for Doctors 5, 8 and 9 and rough idea's for 2, 3 and 4. See my blog for more details, if anyone wants to suggest which one I should do next I might take them into account.

I hope to have the next chapter up by the end of May.