• Published 15th Apr 2013
  • 2,005 Views, 15 Comments

The Orphan Princess - Patched Pumpkins



A miserable orphan wakes up in Celestia's bed.

  • ...
1
 15
 2,005

Chapter 1: Hannah!

Chapter 1

I stretched out my arm and tried to grab the sheets and pull them down a bit as it was really warm in my room. I didn’t open my eyes; I knew if I did I would never fall back asleep. I also realized I was on the edge of my bed, so I scooted in a little closer.

Funny, I didn’t remember having a massive stuffed animal in my bed. The thing in front of me was soft and had what felt like artificial fur on it, I still didn’t want to open my eyes, so I just pushed the thing off my bed. It was a very heavy little thing, but it was on the very edge of the bed so I just gave a small nudge and it fell over the edge.

My eyes shot open at the sound of a very sudden and unnecessary shriek. Instinctively I yelled back, “Hannah! Shut up or I’ll… oh my.” My eyes did not open to my bedroom, or my bed, or Hannah, but instead a massive circular room and a pointed ceiling. The walls were trimmed with gold, and so was the wooden furniture, needless to say, it was nicer than the room Hannah and I shared. Completely flustered, I didn’t move, but instead stared and tried to comprehend what in the hell was going on.

“How dare you enter my chambers and throw me off my bed, you… filly?” I spun around to the source of the noise, and soon realized I had not thrown a stuffed animal out of the bed, but rather a large, white unicorn. The unicorn had a really colorful, transparent ethereal looking hair. I pushed a talking ethereal-unicorn out of its bed; great fucking start to my morning, at least there was gold on the wall.

Out of shock upon seeing the unicorn, I flew out of my bed, no literally. I flew out of my fucking bed and remained suspended there for a couple of seconds, which is odd, considering I can’t fly. Whatever kept me in the air stopped and I fell down on my rump which hurt a lot. I tried to say something but it seems I was just as speechless as this fucking unicorn.

Thankfully, neither of us had to speak, as the door flew open, and off its hinges sending splinters of wood across the room, two more unicorns clad in horse armor were revealed, yelling something I couldn’t understand because I was much more focused on the wood hurtling towards my face. My reflexes finally decided to make a move and an arm shot up to my eyes, I shut them, instinctively, lest my arm wasn’t enough and a scrap of wood fly into my eye. I quickly reopened my eyes and noticed I had an odd looking appendage.

…Is that a fucking hoof? Yes, yes it was. “Fuck.” And then I fainted.

_(*)_

I awoke to three pairs of eyes, and I was back in the massive bed. I was just whimpering at that point, silently wondering just who thought this would be funny. I was going to kill Hannah if she let this happen, but knowing her, she conducted it.

“You needn’t be scared, my very little pony, you’re safe with me.” The unicorn with the pink eyes and white face informed me in what I assumed was a motherly tone. “I’m very sorry if I or my guards scared you.” She informed me. She must have been the thing I pushed out of the bed with the weird hair; I was beginning to doubt Hannah’s involvement in my predicament, Hannah wasn’t capable of a display so complex.

“Shut up, Hannah.” I said, sticking to my guns. I didn’t know if she was in the very elaborate costume before me, but I’m sure she was within earshot in order to bask in my torture. I really wanted to believe Hannah was making this happen.

“Hannah?” The same unicorn asked.

“Don’t start with me, bitch, tell—” I was interrupted by the damn pink-eyed unicorn’s slap. Hannah was annoying at times, and a bit of a trickster, but she would never let someone hit me. That made me worried.

“A filly should never use such language!” she reprimanded. That was another thing; this couldn’t be a trick, if I was a hor—or pony. I must be dreaming then. But you never realize you’re in a dream when you’re in a dream… and I was not smart enough to think about that much further.

“Uhmm… sorry?” I didn’t know what in the hell to do. What do you say when a pony-unicorn-thing slaps you and reprimands you, and is surrounded by her guards? I sure didn’t know, I can honestly say I was never in such a situation before. Not to mention my hopes that this was a trick were diminishing quickly, making my mind work rather slowly as I tried to wrap my head around what was happening.

“It’s okay, now, would you mind informing me why I found a fellow alicorn in my bed?” The same one spoke again, the others must be mutes or something.

“What’s an Alicorn?” I asked. Unicorns I at least have heard of, but I don’t think those things were even in the Greek myths.

“Guards, you may return to your posts, thank you.” The guards gave nods and headed out through the now door-less threshold. She backed up and showed me her wings. It was definitely a she, she sounded like she was, unless ponies’ voice levels were reversed, but I just settled with a she for the unicorn-pegasus-pony. “It is a pony that has both wings and a horn, but how could you possibly not know? Even if you weren’t an alicorn you would have learned about them at school.”

“I…I don’t a-actually go to s-school, sorry.” I stammered. That was a touchy subject for me. I was supposed to go to school, it was kind of the law that I did, but the owner of the orphanage I currently resided in reported it as a home-schooling orphanage, but never actually taught anyone. I had gone to school in the past once, though. Up to second grade in fact, but still, I was 16 and I could barely wright.

“Are you not from Equestria, sweetie?” Her tone was softer and more pleasant, although her previous tone wasn’t rough; I think she finally caught on to my frightened state.

“No.” I said. I’m not very good at holding a conversation, let alone a conversation with a living myth/alien/pony/unicorn/pegasus/alicorn. She looked kind of sad, which was odd to see, considering she was a pony.

“I see. Where are you from, my little pony?” I didn’t know if I should tell her or not, so I simply shrugged. “You poor dear, you must be making many ponies worried; you are a princess, after all.”

“I’m an orphan; you don’t need to make up lies to make me feel any better.” I told her, and she looked confused.
Actually, for all I knew I was a pony princess, what if a pony and I switched places? I didn’t think that was possible, it would explain why I woke up in bed with her.

“You’re an Alicorn, all Alicorns are either princes or princesses, and none are orphans.” She informed me.

“I’m not from Equestria; maybe it’s different around there.” I said my voice rising as I became angrier.

“No, it’s like that just about everywhere, even in Griffon Territory, or Zebrica. They usually just have less power,” she told me. I was debating whether or not to tell her I wasn’t from the planet, but decided I’d let her believe whatever she wanted to. I had decided I was no longer on Earth, it made sense, I mean people already mapped the Earth how could we have missed a civilization of talking ponies?

“Fine, good luck finding my parents, if you find out whom they are, inform me, will you?” I asked her more coldly than I had anticipated.

“Of course I will, don’t worry; you’ll be reunited with your parents in no time at alI.” I wasn’t sure if she picked up on my sarcasm, if she was ignoring it, or just being nice to a lost little… filly. Today was going to be a long day.

“If you don’t mind me asking, who are you?” I asked.

“Oh, of course, I’m sorry. I am Princess Celestia, Co-ruler of Equestria, and manipulator of the sun, as I assumed you already knew.” Yes, a very long day.

Instead of responding, I focused on what I heard: A steady clacking sound, as if a horse was galloping, as the sound drew close, it sounded more like clip-clops of a horse, or more likely a pony. Finally when they were right outside the hole in the wall that was once a door, the clip-clops suddenly ceased, and another alicorn entered walking instead of galloping. This one had blue transparent ethereal hair, and a blue coat. “Sister, I have heard from the mouth of the guards that we have a very small visiting princess!” She scanned the room, completely ignoring the shattered door, and finally spotted me.

“SHE’S SO CUTE, EVERYTHING WE ANTICIPATED!” She screeched and before my hearing returned I was scooped up in a blue transparent… something. I was floating, but that wasn’t that weirdest thing that happened to me today. I was surprised nonetheless, I struggled ferociously, but to no avail, I drifted closer to this blue intruder whose eyes displayed a fascination I had never before witnessed.

Before I could escape, the blue field that surrounded me suddenly ceased, and I dropped into the forelegs of the blue alicorn. I couldn’t speak because I was being suffocated by and incredibly harsh hug and nuzzling. “Who are her parents? They’re the luckiest ponies in all of Equestria!” The blue alicorn pointed out.

“We are not sure, but I am going to dispatch some pegasi to find out.” Celestia said. “This is Luna, my sister, she moves the moon.” Of course she does. “She also co-rules Equestria with me.” Celestia added. “Luna, perhaps you should let her down, she’s had a rough morning.”

The alicorn levitated my very small body back to the floor and blushed, I probably should have been surprised a pony could blush, but I’ve heard much stranger today. “What’s your name, Cutsie-Wootsie?” She was lying on the ground and talking to me at eye level whilst making faces that I didn’t realize ponies could even make.

I wasn’t really sure if I should answer them honestly. My name was Emma, but I still didn’t want to give too much information away, I didn’t even know who the ponies were, or if they hated people from Earth, or if they even knew about Earth. So instead of answering, I put on my best sad face and shrugged “I don’t have a name, or parents.” I glared at Celestia for a moment, I was still angry she didn’t believe me.

Luna was obviously distraught when I told her I was nameless and parentless because she stopped making faces and held a frown for a moment before adopting another smile. Luna looked to Celestia, “May I take our little visitor on a tour of the castle, Celly?” She asked.

Celestia looked to be pondering over whether or not to let me leave or not, and honestly, I wanted to be out of this room and away from Celestia so I was completely comfortable to go on a tour and of a castle no less! “You…” She sighed, “Yes, you may show her the castle, but I want her to check back with me before nightfall. Her parents might send word by then.” Luna looked overly excited upon hearing Celestia give her permission to drag me throughout the castle, and even though I hate to admit it, I had a small smile displayed across my features after hearing I could see an entire castle. Naturally, I fought the smile off and replaced it with a frown.

Luna made an odd little squeaking sound, exclaimed a thank you and told me to follow her. I tried to comply, but as it turns out walking on legs that are about 1/5th the size of your previous legs, and having 2 more is an odd experience. I got to my hooves and stumbled a little bit, attempting to walk on two legs, which didn’t work, needless to say. I noticed Luna hovering in the air with her hooves to her mouth holding back a fit of laughter. I decided to try and walk as if crawling which worked a bit better, and I began to make progress, but I would certainly need more practice before I could walk normally, let alone gallop.

Despite my grand efforts, I was walking at a snail’s pace, I continued to stumble and lose my…hoofing? Every couple of steps. I finally sat on my haunches, defeated. I looked at the two princesses who had been watching me, both had large smiles plastered on their face and it was easily decipherable that they were still choking down a fit of giggles. I sighed, “L-Luna, could… Uhmm, could you m-maybe help me?” I asked Luna and she let out a very pleased ‘AWWWW’ and complied with my request. She began to levitate me again, and I wondered if I could learn to levitate things too.

“Luna, uhm, how are you making me float?” I asked her while Luna carried me into the hallway past the shattered door.

Luna gave me an odd look, but answered nonetheless. “Magic, sweetie. You can levitate things too, you know.” That made me excited. I wanted to do magic! So naturally I tried it out, which to my surprise worked! I stared at Luna with concentration and imagined her going upwards and then floating, and it happened! I was so concentrated on lifting Luna up that I didn’t even realize she let go of me, and I promptly fell to the ground in a low thump on the carpeted stone floor.

I let out a loud “Ouch!” upon hitting the ground, and so did Luna, after I lost concentration of my levitation. “Oh, I’m sorry! Please, d-don’t hate me! I didn’t mean to!” I stammered; I had no idea she would drop me, I figured I must have surprised her.

To my surprise, she laughed! She didn’t even hit me for dropping her. “It’s okay; you’re very strong for a little filly.” She laughed again, “You just disrupted my magical field by enveloping me in yours.” She informed me, I was really excited that I had just used magic, because it was magic, and that’s fucking awesome. But I was more surprised she didn’t try and discipline me.

“Oh. So, you’re not gunna hit me? You don’t have belts anywhere, do you?” I inquired, and Luna looked appalled.

“No, no, no! I would never hit you, why would I ever want to hurt you?” She asked and grabbed me and enveloped me in a hug. That was nice. The only one whoever hugged me was Hannah, and she was gone… maybe forever.

“A-at the orphanage, the b-belt was taken out if anyone misbehaved, and if s-someone was really bad they’d bring out the Cat o’ Nine Tails.” I stammered. I didn’t know why, but I was on the verge of crying. I immediately told myself I was too tough to cry, but I couldn’t help but nuzzle into Luna’s shoulder. I wiped my tears away as fast as I could; I hadn’t cried in so long, I didn’t want to start then.

“I would—No pony would ever do that, and there are no belts nearby! And ponies only have one tail, not nine, and there aren’t any cats in the castle, so don’t worry about the latter.” Luna reassured me. I didn’t think she grasped the fact that the Cat of Nine Tails was actually a whip, but I wasn’t very keen on informing her, considering she was already horrified at the mention of a belt.

I think some guards came around the wall in the hallway to see what all the commotion was, but I think Luna waved them away. We stayed that way—Luna holding me close to her chest while she soundlessly flapped her wings keeping us suspended in the air while I tried tirelessly to wipe the tears away from me face. I gave up on wiping my face and finally let them flow out for a few minutes. I probably soaked Luna’s chest, but she didn’t seem to mind, she was content to just stroke my hai—er… mane.

When I finally stopped acting like a baby, I asked Luna if I could go to the bathroom and she brought me to a door not too far off from where we were. She carried me on her back while I held on to her neck sniffling all the way.

She dropped me off next to the bathroom and I noticed that there was a door handle, which is odd, considering ponies had hoofs, but I didn’t bother asking about it. I concentrated again and turned the knob and pushed to door open. It was easier to use my magic that time then the last. I felt like I should have been more amazed that I was using magic, but I wasn’t for some reason, and I wasn’t exactly known for taking things in stride.

After taking care of some business, I made my way to the sink on wobbly legs. Before I washed my hands, I took in my new appearance for the first time. I really was small, I was the smallest filly I had ever seen, and, to be honest, I was really cute. I was a very light gray, almost white; my coat reminded me of ash, actually. I looked at my mane that was a brilliant silver color with 3 stripes of black that lined through it. Back at the orphanage, my hair was silver, but it never had black in it. I was stricken with a horrible case of bed-mane at the time as well. I promised myself I would learn how to style it at some point, before I went back… was I going back? Was that possible? That though didn’t linger in my mind for long, because it’s not like I had much to return to, anyway. I just missed Hannah a little.

After I washed my hands, I managed to get back outside on my hooves, and I didn’t even stumble… or at least not a lot. When I got back outside, I guess Luna realized it was easier for me to just ride on her back, because she levitated me back to my position prior to my bathroom visit. “So, where are we headed, Luna?” I asked. Admittedly, I was kind of fond of Luna, she was nice. That didn’t mean I liked Celestia that much, I still wanted to see her look of shock when she figured out I really don’t have parents here.

“Well, it’s still morning, 11:00 AM, actually. So I hath…err, have decided to treat you to breakfast.” Luna said. I wasn’t going to complain, especially since this was a castle, I figured the food would be good, or at least better than the food I was served in Jenna’s. Jenna was the witch who owned the orphanage, and had named the place Jenna’s Home for the Disowned.

While I was thinking about home, Luna kept walking towards the dining hall, or so I had dubbed it. It sounded castle-esque, so I went with it. Luna opened a door after we descended down a flight of stairs, and broke the silence. “Cadance is still here, you lucky filly.” She pointed to a pink alicorn, but this one’s mane didn’t wave around like Luna’s, and it looked more like regular hair, like mine.

The Alicorn waved to us and smiled. She was sitting on a pillow at a very expensive looking marble table. As we approached the same alicorn greeted us. “Good morning, Luna. Who’s that filly with you?”

“Good morning. That’s what we’re trying to find out. This Wittle Fiwwy is all wost, she woke up in Celestia’s bed, in fact.” Luna informed her and Cadence laughed, I just let out a ‘hmph’.

I decided to ask a question of my own. “What do you control? Luna has the moon, what about you?”

Cadance looked confused for a moment and answered, “Nothing, Silly Filly, all I can do is influence love, see?” She
flashed me her flank, and it had a crystal heart on it. I didn’t realize until then that those marks meant something; I just kind of figured they were a mark of royalty, but apparently they represented what you can do. It made sense, Luna’s was a crescent moon, and Celestia’s was the sun.

“Oh! What’s mine look like?!” I didn’t know why I didn’t look in the mirror for that, but now I really wanted to know.

Luna and Cadance laughed, and Luna put me down. “You’re not old enough to have your cutie mark yet, very few fillies or colts have a cutie mark so early in their life. The usual, Cadance?” Luna asked, and Cadance nodded.

“How long do I have to wait? I’m already 13.” I informed her, and Luna laughed.

“Oh, I’m sure; you’re such a big filly.” She mocked as she walked towards the door-less kitchen.

“I am a big filly!” I yelled, and realized how silly I must have looked. I gave an irritated ‘hmph’, and folded my forelegs as I sat down on the pillow across from Cadance.

Cadance just laughed at my outburst, and I tried to keep my smile hidden because I still wanted to look angry. “You’re a funny one; I don’t think I caught your name, what was it? And how old are you, really? You look to be about 8.” Cadance said.

I turned to face her and told her, “I'M TWELVE!" I yelled, and calmed myself, "And I don’t have one, and if you don’t believe that, ask Luna, or even Celestia.”

“Oh come on, we were just having fun, you really are a big filly, don’t be mad. C’mon, tell me your name.” She said, and put on a comical puppy dog face.

“No really, I don’t have a name.” I insisted.

“Your parents must have named you.” She kept fighting for an answer.

“I don’t have parents either, Celestia doesn’t believe that. I don’t know what Luna thinks.” I said holding my ground.

“Luna, she says she doesn’t have a name, or parents. But that’s impossible, right?” Cadance asked Luna who was now returning with food for the three of us. Luna dropped waffles in front of me, and gave a brief thank you before I dug in.

“It’s possible, just highly unlikely. I hope she does, but I see no reason for her to lie about such a thing,” Luna said and looked at me, “you know, I never knew my mother, and only have one memory of my father.” Luna looked sad but continued, “I understand how hard it is, and so if what you said is the truth I realize how terrible that feels. I thought she finished but then started again after a moment, “It gets lonely.” She said, sounding detached like she wasn’t really taking to any of us anymore.

I looked up from my waffles in time to see Luna dragging a hoof across the bottom of her eye and clearing her throat. She looked down at me, “Do you like the waffles? I asked Head Chef Antoinette Perrier for his best morning dish and he whipped this up for you and me.” Luna said with a smile that was quite obviously forced.

I hesitated for a second wondering what just happened to make Luna’s cheery disposition change so suddenly, but I didn’t want to make her feel anymore dismay. “Give the chef my compliments, these are delicious!” I always wanted to say that, it made me sound sophisticated, I thought.

It was a success, both Luna and Cadance laughed before they dug into their own breakfasts.

_(*)_

After we finished our breakfasts, Cadance left mentioning something about lingerie, roses, and for some reason Shining Armor? I didn’t understand why she wanted the latter, but whatever she’s into, I guess.

Luna threw me on her back again, and we left the Dining Hall. “What are we gonna see next?” I asked, in all honesty I thought this castle was incredible. There were sets of armor displayed, and even though it was armor for a pony, they were still cool decorations. The walls were stone, usually, sometimes they were marble, but usually the floor was marble or wood. The floor always had a carpet too so the constant clip-clops of Luna’s hooves were muffled.

“You’ll see.” She answered as she walked up another flight of stairs. This castle had, at the very least, 50 floors; I lost count of all the floors we went up. “We’re almost there.”

She went up one more flight of stairs and then there was open sky. The sky was bluer than I had ever laid witness to, and a thousand times more beautiful. I was so concentrated on the sky I didn’t even realize myself exclaiming the obvious. “It’s so blue!”

“Yes, it is,” Luna answered.

“Huh?” I asked, as I was too focused on the sky to pay any attention to her.

Luna ignored my question, “Hop off my back, I want you to see something even more amazing.” Luna said, and I complied.

She pointed to the far end of the tower we were on, and I walked to my destination. There was a bit of stone acting as fence, and it obscured my view, so I managed to jump onto the stone and got a perfect view of it all. There, before me laid and entire city built into a mountain. I could easily make out carriages and small homes with thatched or tiled roofs. I saw mansions bigger than anything I had ever seen, except for the castle, of course. I saw hundreds of ponies hustling out of a small building where a steam train was leaving its station. I saw patrols of guards marching through the streets clad in golden armor. I saw pegasi flying through the sky, and unicorns levitating things as they walked further into the city. I saw an entire city for the very first time just then, and it was amazing.

“That’s Canterlot, my little pony.” Luna said from behind me. “Now please, get down from there, you’ll fall.

“I won’t fall, I have perfect balance,” I told her, which was kind of a lie, but I was confident I was steady enough. I got closer to the edge of the stone to look closer beneath me and saw a few more building and ponies going about their day.

I see you have made it to Equestria, Darling Emma.

I panicked upon hearing the deep male voice and maniacal laughter that followed. Startled, I forgot my footing (hoofing?) and dropped off the edge and began my plummet.

Author's Note:

This would be my first fanfic. So, if you hate it tell me why, and I'll try and fix it, be as cruel as possible in your critique.

I really hope you enjoyed reading this, and thanks for doing so.