• Published 16th Apr 2013
  • 1,212 Views, 122 Comments

She Wants To Know What Love Is - Elric of Melnipony



Twist has her eye on a certain colt, and for once, books aren't telling her everything she wants to know. It's time for her to ask what it's really like to have a special somepony.

  • ...
20
 122
 1,212

Chapter 2: Rarity

It was perfect. Wintergreen was both pleased with herself for conceiving of the plan, and disappointed that she hadn't thought of it earlier. In years past, during visits to her estate, she had opened her home to the country ponies for special events. She would take advantage of the upcoming holiday and not only observe it, but plan the biggest celebration ever. She would invite all ponies within a pegaflight of her home. He was sure to be there.

She would, of course, have to be attired appropriately. She would have to wear something new. She was still in no mood to return to Canterlot, and she hadn't the patience for a trip to Manehattan. The village seamstress Gemstone was said to be talented. Lady Wintergreen would visit her and commission something grand.


Friday afternoon. As much as Twist enjoyed her time in school, she appreciated weekends like all foals do. And this one was especially anticipated, because it would begin her guidance from her new mentor, Twilight Sparkle. The bell rang, class was dismissed, and she wasted no time making her way to the library, eating up the distance with a cheerful trot.

By the time Twist arrived, Twilight had already turned over responsibility to Spike and stepped outside. She knew the little dragon secretly felt more powerful in his role once she was out the door, and she also thought that it might be for the best if he didn't know where she and Twist were going. It could get... awkward.

“Good afternoon, Twist! Are you ready?”

“Yes, Mith Twilight!” Twist silently cursed her lisp and wished she could just be rid of it already.

“Have you ever been to the boutique before?”

“No, but my mom has bought a few things there.”

The Carousel Boutique was close enough to the library that they didn't have time for much more conversation than that. The door opened with a pleasant jingle of bells, and Twist took in her unfamiliar surroundings. Elegant furniture, a comfortable temperature, a pleasant smell that seemed to be a mix of several kinds of flowers, and the beautiful white unicorn who owned the business.

“Hello, Twilight. I see you brought the guest you promised to have with you.”

“Rarity, this is Shimmy Shake's daughter, Twist. You may have seen her with Sweetie Belle, since they're in the same class.”

“I know we've seen each other before, but I don't believe we've ever actually met. Welcome, dear. How can I help the two of you?”

“Twist has her eye on a colt, and she wanted to know how to catch his attention, what to expect once she does, that sort of thing. And as much as I hate to admit it....” The rest of Twilight's sentence was lost in an unintelligble mumble.

“What was that, dear?”

More mumbling.

“I'm sorry?”

“I said she doesn't feel that books on the topic are very helpful!” Twilight clapped a hoof over her own mouth as if she had just yelled out an innovative compound obscenity.

“Oh. Well, I think I can be of some help there. No stallion every completely outgrows being a colt, and in some ways, colts are all alike. Twilight, why don't you get comfy on the couch? Twist, dear, please stand here.” She led Twist over to a low platform that she was sometimes used for her customers to model their new purchases. “Colts are very visual creatures, so the first thing we're going to do is talk about enhancing the beauty you already have.”

“You mean like getting rid of my glasses?”

“Certainly not!” Rarity turned away for a moment and used her magic to ransack some nearby drawers. When she turned back, she was wearing glasses of her own. Her frames were red to Twist's purple, but there was still enough similarity to get the point across. “They draw attention to your eyes, which I can see are very pretty. Also, I know from your mother's bragging that you're quite intelligent, and they help you to look the part.”

Twist smiled. “So you don't believe what they thay about fillies in glasses?”

“It's nonsense. Colts do make passes at girls who wear glasses, and the ones who don't aren't worth your time. The only real idea I had concerning your look was relaxing your mane a bit.”

“You think it should be straight?”

“No, no. We'll just loosen up those curls a bit, have them flowing in no time, and do the same for your tail. Now this doesn't beat a trip to the spa, of course, but you can always do that later. May I?” She held up a bottle in her magical grip, waiting for her guest's approval.

“I trutht you.” Twist sat back on her haunches, closed her eyes, and relaxed. Rarity was soon combing an unfamiliar but warm liquid through her mane.

“Wonderful, dear! Now, remember what I said about some colts not being worth your time?” Rarity paused what she was doing so that Twist could nod without causing any tangles or other complications. “It's important to have standards. Standards for yourself, standards for your suitor, you see what I'm getting at. You can't let yourself get swept off your hooves by just any colt who comes along. He has to have charm. He has to have manners. He has to be thoughtful. He has to be able to eat normal food like a regular pony and not --”

“Rarity!” Twilight had learned when it was time to interrupt her friend.

“What? Oh, yes. Sorry about that. Where was I?”

“You were talking about thtandards, but I think I have that part figured out. I have thomepony in mind. But what about after that, when you're actually in a relationship. What do you actually do?”

“Well, you uh... that is... honestly, I can't say I know from personal experience.”

“Rarity?” Twilight was far too shocked to really contribute to the conversation.

“This is the other side of what I was talking about with standards: don't set them unrealistically high. Don't go chasing an ideal that doesn't exist. If you do, you'll make the same mistake I did. I spent my whole life waiting for a prince, only to find out that he... was a jerk. The stories all say that some day your prince will come, but don't wait around for him. Spend that time finding a colt who can love somepony other than himself.”

“That's good advice, Mith Rarity. Thank you.”

“You're very welcome, dear.”

Twilight was starting to absorb the new information. “Rarity, the Gala was ages ago. What about since then?”

“I've kept my ears up and my eyes open since then, darling. That's all I'll say for now. Twist, there's a mirror behind you; tell me what you think.”

Twist gasped. She no longer had the tight, self-attacking coils she was used to seeing on her head, what she thought of has her “mane-spring”. Instead, she was looking at gently flowing rivulets like so many miniature waterfalls. “It's beautiful.”

You're beautiful, dear. And please take this bottle with you; I have more, after all. And while I may not have the exact perspective you're looking for right this moment, I still think I can be helpful. Feel free to come to me for advice or opinions.”

“I will! Thank you!” Twist rose up on her hind legs to give Rarity a hug. Her excitement over her new look was more than enough to balance out any disappointment she may have had over not learning about relationships from an experienced point of view.

Somepony was sure to help her learn what she wanted to know. After all, that was what Miss Twilight's list was for, wasn't it?